Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 07:21:10 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by MU82
[Today at 06:39:26 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Herman Cain
[Today at 06:05:09 PM]

NBA green room by Skatastrophy
[Today at 03:09:36 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:42:15 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by We R Final Four
[Today at 11:50:43 AM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Latest on Dorian Finney-Smith  (Read 34154 times)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Re: Latest on Dorian Finney-Smith
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2012, 02:18:51 PM »
https://twitter.com/EvanDanielsFOX/status/210425800594427904

TA DA!!!!

"He just received his release..."

Wouldn't, he was just given his release be more accurate?

My money is on Rakeem Buckles being the next to go, if DFS comes on board.

Pitino isn't as dumb as Bo, he knows that if you're gonna F with a player you do it when they've been out of AAU ball for three years.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2012, 02:24:52 PM »
And somehow, the louisville fans see this as a good thing and not a sign of the impending apocalypse. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2012, 02:43:25 PM »
And somehow, the louisville fans see this as a good thing and not a sign of the impending apocalypse. 

Some posters here (probably because they went to a Jesuit school) have an inherent sense of fair play that overrides the win at all costs attitude.  I'm somewhat ambivalent.  If the program isn't hurt is it okay to just dump kids?

Louisville clearly has no qualms.  Swoopshire and Van Treese were contributors to the Louisville program, but Pitino saw the chance to get younger talent on campus, so bye bye.

Newbill screwed up by not getting his application in, so MU was legally able to cut him loose when a more talented guy with more height became available.  Durley, I assume, choose not to come when it was made clear that he was no longer wanted due to his lack of development during his senior year.  The only real difference I can see is Buzz doesn't feel an obligation to guys who haven't yet been on campus and contributed to the program.  Whatever you get from Pitino as a coach it's clear that loyalty and gratitude are not a part of the package.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2012, 06:28:22 PM »
Looks as though Finney-Smith is no longer considering Marquette. Makes sense, given the McKay commitment.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2012, 09:15:54 PM »
Looks as though Finney-Smith is no longer considering Marquette. Makes sense, given the McKay commitment.

Does it?  One of the things that upset DFS while he was at Virginia Tech was being used as a four, instead of a three.  Since Jameel's game is facing the basket, his commitment would seem to quiet that concern, if he came to MU.  Also, Louisville is still on his list and they have even more talent than MU.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #80 on: June 12, 2012, 10:52:42 AM »
Visiting Memphis today.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #81 on: June 12, 2012, 12:29:56 PM »
Visiting Memphis today.

Memphis was supposedly off his list, now it seems MU might be.  This looks like it may be Aki related, since he recruited the Virginia area while he was at MU, and now he's at Memphis.

fanofTR

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #82 on: June 14, 2012, 06:51:27 PM »
And off to Florida he goes via Twitter. Think he could have done some big things in our system. Still a great pickup for Billy D and the Gators.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2012, 07:22:35 PM »
And off to Florida he goes via Twitter. Think he could have done some big things in our system. Still a great pickup for Billy D and the Gators.

Suppose the only surprise is that I thought Florida was full with their last transfer. Looks like Donovan learned how to juggle scholarships under Pitino.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2012, 07:50:53 PM »
Suppose the only surprise is that I thought Florida was full with their last transfer. Looks like Donovan learned how to juggle scholarships under Pitino.

Let's not pretend Marquette doesn't do the same thing. The timing of announcements may be different, but you're being ignorant if you think this doesn't happen at Marquette.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #85 on: June 14, 2012, 08:12:31 PM »
Let's not pretend Marquette doesn't do the same thing. The timing of announcements may be different, but you're being ignorant if you think this doesn't happen at Marquette.

So far not for a player already on campus under Buzz.

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #86 on: June 14, 2012, 08:26:49 PM »
Florida and Memphis are both loaded for the future.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #87 on: June 14, 2012, 09:34:27 PM »

I haven't seen MU add a player when we were full which necessitated someone already here getting kicked out. Newbill wasn't here yet, and Durley's spot still hasn't been filled for 2012. Were guys like Williams, Mbao, and Jones run off? I don't know. But their spots weren't filled while they were still here nor was it made public midseason that they were getting the boot. And we aren't sliding scholarship players in by getting starters to walk-on (which I honestly hope doesn't happen with Mayo). I'm not pretending MU is perfect, but the antics of a guy like Pitino aren't comparable to anything happening here.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #88 on: June 14, 2012, 10:05:22 PM »
Some guys have, uh, been "asked" to leave because of, uh, some really awful choices.
We Are Marquette

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #89 on: June 14, 2012, 11:18:09 PM »
Some guys have, uh, been "asked" to leave because of, uh, some really awful choices.

Okay, I'll bite.  What the hell are you talking about?

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #90 on: June 14, 2012, 11:32:55 PM »
Okay, I'll bite.  What the hell are you talking about?

I believe he's talking about Erik Williams.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #91 on: June 15, 2012, 07:33:20 AM »
DJ Newbill

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #92 on: June 15, 2012, 07:40:10 AM »
DJ Newbill

Is this part of the making an awful choice or reasons we shouldn't get on our high-horse about Pitino?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #93 on: June 15, 2012, 07:45:32 AM »
Is this part of the making an awful choice or reasons we shouldn't get on our high-horse about Pitino?

The latter.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #94 on: June 15, 2012, 07:46:19 AM »
Without looking it up. Is Louisville essentially forcing two players out now for next year?

How many players paid their own way that previously had scholarships at Louisville last year, 2?
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #95 on: June 15, 2012, 08:11:04 AM »
Without looking it up. Is Louisville essentially forcing two players out now for next year?

Yes, Jared Swoopshire (already enrolled at Northwestern) and Stephen Van Treese.

How many players paid their own way that previously had scholarships at Louisville last year, 2?

Correct, Kyle Kuric and Chris Smith.  Elisha Justice turned down a scholarship offer to Kentucky to pay his own way at Louisville.  He still has two more years.  They also had/have another walk-on giving them a roster of 17 last year.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 08:15:06 AM by LittleMurs »

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #96 on: June 15, 2012, 08:21:59 AM »

This cryptic crap is BS.  Maybe you get off on people spending half a page trying to guess at what you're saying. Maybe you really don't know what the hell you're talking about, and don't want to be called out on it.  Man up and post something concrete or don't post at all.

The Process

• All American
« Reply #97 on: June 15, 2012, 09:40:36 AM »

The latter.

IMO the Newbill situation was one of the most... bizarre... I've seen at MU in awhile.  The fact that he hadn't applied to MU that late in the game was just something else.  If he had been admitted to MU and enrolling in classes for the fall, that'd make the situation a far more apples-to-apples comp with what Mr. Sharp Dressed Man is doing at Louisville.  I do have to hand it to him - this is one sharp suit:

Relax. Respect the Process.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #98 on: June 15, 2012, 09:51:33 AM »
This cryptic crap is BS.  Maybe you get off on people spending half a page trying to guess at what you're saying. Maybe you really don't know what the hell you're talking about, and don't want to be called out on it.  Man up and post something concrete or don't post at all.

+ a zillion
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #99 on: June 15, 2012, 10:02:26 AM »
+ a zillion

He's spot on that a number of our former players have been asked to leave and then billed as transfers.  No reason to ruin their careers more than they already have themselves.

You guys all know that you can't go around posting information like that, and that it'll be impossible to back up without posting information about who in the athletic department was chatting about it.  It's private information about kids that don't play for MU anymore.  Let it drop.