Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Latest on Dorian Finney-Smith  (Read 34095 times)

THEultimateWARRIOR

• Team Captain
Re: Latest on Dorian Finney-Smith
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2012, 11:28:45 PM »
UConn would take anyone with a pulse that actually played HS ball. If Oklahoma has room, that'll likely be his first choice. If they don't have room, who knows where he ends up? Pretty sure Louisville would have to run someone else off to take him (though it's been done there before). From what I've read of Clark, my guess is he'll go somewhere that doesn't have to force an opening. I could be wrong, but I really don't think forcing his way in would jive with the way he and his mother have conducted themselves. They seem classier and possessed of more integrity than that.
He has connections with UCONN. Louisville seems to be in on almost every transfer so they must have room. I heard tonight that MU is recruiting him.

THEultimateWARRIOR

• Team Captain
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2012, 11:31:27 PM »
And back on topic about finney smith it would be a big advantage for MU if Florida and Louisville would land the transfers they are going after in turn opening up the door for MU to snatch Finney Smith. I believe we will fill the scholarship with a transfer.

THEultimateWARRIOR

• Team Captain
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2012, 02:44:16 PM »
As stated above now that Florida landed Demontre Harris it opens the door for MU to land Finney Smith. My guess is Buzz will make a strong push once the dead period is over.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2012, 02:50:06 PM »
It wouldn't surprise anyone if Davante Gardner and/or Jamal Ferguson were pursuing Finney-Smith from the Virginia side.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2012, 02:11:36 PM »
With Aki gone, I think most are guessing we will be out of the running for DFS. Saw on Twitter that he's visiting Louisville this weekend. Montrezl Harrell will also be there this weekend. Wouldn't surprise me if they were vying for the same scholarship.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2012/05/29/finney-smith-to-visit-louisville/
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2012, 11:51:06 PM »
How many open scholarships does Florida have?

1 open one.

Damontre Harris is now a Gator, so is DFS off their list?

Jeff Eisenberg of Yahoo Sports had the following to say.

"The addition of Harris won't change Florida's recruiting focus for the Class of 2013, which begins with talented in-state product Chris Walker, a 6-foot-8 power forward considered to be one of the top 10 high school seniors-to-be in the nation. Walker reportedly is still considering Kansas, Florida, Ohio State and Kentucky, among others.

What will be interesting to see is whether Florida continues its pursuit of Virginia Tech transfer Dorian Finney-Smith or former Hokies signee Montrezl Harrell.

The Gators were in the running for both before Harris made his choice. Now both might be more likely to look elsewhere since Florida added a player at their position."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/florida-finally-gets-big-man-south-carolina-transfer-141907284.html

Here's an update from the Florida rivals site, dated May 28th.

- Despite receiving a transfer commitment from 2010 four-star prospect power forward Damontre Harris (formerly of South Carolina) over the weekend, Florida will continue pursuing Virginia Tech forward transfer Dorian Finney-Smith, a source close to the team told me on Saturday. Finney-Smith's mother told Adam Zagoria of SNY.tv on Sunday that her son will choose between UF, Iowa State, Louisville, Marquette and Texas but has yet to schedule four of his five potential visits. Though the Gators' scholarship allotment was technically filled when Harris made his decision, UF would most definitely find a way to bring Finney-Smith in should he chose Florida when all is said and done.

So, Ohio State seems to have been a fleeting deal.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 12:19:16 AM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2012, 11:56:49 PM »
Speaking of Montrezl Harrell, guess where he was this weekend?

In Louisville with DFS!

Louisville’s big recruiting weekend

Louisville is coming off of a season where they won the Big East tournament and made a run all the way to the Final Four. They are heading into a season where they will be a consensus top three team when the official preseason polls are released.

In other words, there probably aren’t three programs that will have a better 2012 calender year.

Which is why this weekend is so important for the future of the Cardinal program: Louisville will have enough talent visiting their campus to reach the 2015 Final Four.

It starts with a pair of Virginia Tech defectors. Montrezl Harrell, a top 100 big man in the class of 2012 and a former Tech signee, will be visiting Louisville (who many believe is his favorite) along with Dorian Finney-Smith, a transfer that left Tech when Seth Greenberg was fired. Finney-Smith would have to sit out a year before becoming eligible.

Also on campus will be a pair of top 30 prospects from the class of 2013. JaJuan Johnson is a shooting guard from Memphis that has seen his stock skyrocket after the spring evaluation period, which was aided by the fact that he has grown two inches to 6-foot-5 since last summer. Johnson is the nephew of Louis Williams of the 76ers. Jordan Mickey, an athletic comb0-forward and a five-star recruit, may be the most highly-regarded prospect that will be in Louisville this weekend.

Joining them will be 6-foot-7 wings Kates Beita-Diop and Malek Harris, both members of the class of 2014 from Illinois.

The saying “strike while the iron is hot” is fitting in the recruiting world. When your program is on the upswing, it is important to not only get talented recruits onto your campus, but to convince them to come to your school. That’s the best way to prevent your program from being on a downswing.

Pitino is halfway there this weekend.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/31/louisvilles-big-recruiting-weekend/

p.s. Last I checked Louisville had 13 scholarship players and two walk-ons, one of whom was all-state in Kentucky 2011.  That's after they cut Jared Swopshire loose to make room for their incoming recruit.  How Pitino does it, I don't know.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 12:05:51 AM by LittleMurs »

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2012, 07:51:29 AM »
Harrel committed to Louisville per Telep

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2012, 09:02:21 AM »
Slick Rick will do what Syracuse does: find academic scholarships for two or three guys so he can dress 16 players. SU dressed 18 players for the MU game last winter.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2012, 09:43:41 AM »
Well if Rick can do it and get away with it within the NCAA rules, I don't have a problem with it.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2012, 10:56:04 AM »
Well if Rick can do it and get away with it within the NCAA rules, I don't have a problem with MU doing it.

Fixed!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2012, 11:35:34 AM »
Harrel committed to Louisville per Telep

If UF and UL are both full, that's certainly good for us, I'd think. He still has the ISU visit, hopefully Buzz gets him on campus.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2012, 12:58:43 PM »
If UF and UL are both full, that's certainly good for us, I'd think. He still has the ISU visit, hopefully Buzz gets him on campus.

And then Trent Lockett can explain why he choose MU over Iowa State!

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2012, 07:58:57 PM »
Well if Rick can do it and get away with it within the NCAA rules, I don't have a problem with it.

It'll be a challenge this time with Montrezl Harrell now committing per Eamonn Brennan at ESPN.

"Harrell's commitment isn't 100 percent good news: It does create a scholarship logjam for the Cardinals, which will require some -- ahem -- creative reshuffling by Pitino similar to last summer, when a new batch of recruits forced Pitino to ask Kyle Kuric, Chris Smith and Elisha Justice to give up their scholarships and play as preferred walk-ons instead. Last summer's moves were made more elegant by Kuric's (whose father is a surgeon) and Smith's (whose older brother is well-paid New York Knicks guard J.R. Smith) dual willingness to pay for school. The process of finding an open scholarship for Harrell may be slightly messier."

It sounds like adding Dorian on top of Harrell would be a very big stretch for Louisville at this point which I have to think helps MU's cause.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 08:01:04 PM by LittleMurs »

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2012, 08:07:28 PM »
I bet Pitino adopts a player.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2012, 08:19:40 PM »
More from Rob Dauster at NBC sports.

"But that’s not where the discussion seems to be placed following Harrell’s commitment.

Instead, it centers around Louisville’s scholarship situation.

You see, Harrell becomes the Cards 14th scholarship player, and as anyone that follows college hoops can tell you, you are only allowed to give out 13 scholarships. So where did the available scholarship come from? That, we don’t know and may never find out. Did Pitino find out that Rozier won’t get eligible? Will Stephen Van Treese, whose family can afford to play for a year of college, become a walk-on? Will Raheem Buckles take a medical redshirt? Is Russ Smith actually JR and Chris Smith’s long lost brother?

What we do know is that Pitino has perfected the art of roster manipulation. Prior to last season, he got Chris Smith, Kyle Kuric and Elisha Justice to pay their own way for school. He ran off George Goode prior to last season. He did the same with Jared Swopshire this season.

You may not be a fan of the way Pitino is running the program, but you have to admit: it’s working."

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2012, 08:35:35 PM »
Florida Rivals reaction to the Harrell news.

"Instead of visiting Florida and seeing what the Gators had to offer, four-star power forward Montrezl Harrell - a four-star 2012 recruit who had decommitted from Virginia Tech and was still looking for a home - committed to Louisville on Monday after visiting the school over the weekend. Despite the fact that Florida does not currently have an available scholarship, the Gators were in pursuit of Harrell to join their four-member 2012 class. UF has already acquired one transfer in former four-star PF Damontre Harris since National Signing Day came and went and is likely done adding players for the time being though former four-star forward Dorian Finney-Smith remains undecided his transfer destination after playing for Virginia Tech last season."

The way this reads it sounds like Florida was more interested in Harrell than DFS, in spite of DFS's much higher ranking out of HS.  I guess having a guy sit for a year is tough for some places to stomach.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 08:38:10 PM by LittleMurs »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2012, 08:42:22 PM »

I think DFS has Iowa State later this week and then MU after.  With ISU a likely landing place for Uhtoff unless Iowa returns the Brust lawsuit favor on Becky, MU is the only leader left with a schollie, no?  Where does Tejas sit right now?

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2012, 08:54:27 PM »
I think DFS has Iowa State later this week and then MU after.  With ISU a likely landing place for Uhtoff unless Iowa returns the Brust lawsuit favor on Becky, MU is the only leader left with a schollie, no?  Where does Tejas sit right now?

They should still have a schollie.  ESPN has them still in on two HS seniors.  When HS seniors are still around in June, eligibility issues often lurk, tho.

THEultimateWARRIOR

• Team Captain
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2012, 09:04:21 PM »
Have you heard that he is visiting MU after? That would be great to get him on campus where he has to make his decision fresh off of a MU visit.

THEultimateWARRIOR

• Team Captain
« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2012, 11:56:35 PM »
Zags blog said he will visit ISU later this week then possibly Georgetown. Did you really hear MU could be next?

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
see one sources says Lville is a done deal - hopefully wrong
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2012, 02:21:31 AM »
Montrezl Harrell might not be the only player to give a pledge to the Louisville basketball program this week. Virginia Tech transfer Dorian Finney-Smith arrived on campus yesterday afternoon for a visit and will leave tomorrow morning. The 6-7 forward has very much enjoyed his time here in the Derby City over the past two days. Nothing has been officially reported just yet, but a source close to the program says “It’s a done deal.” It sounds like Finney-Smith’s situation is very similar to Montrezl Harrell, who left Louisville as an uncommitted prospect, only to make it official the next day. Finney-Smith had initially planned to make a visit to Iowa State from June 7-9. There has been nothing reported that he will cancel that visit, but it wouldn’t surprise me at all if he makes a decision before June 7. Louisville and Iowa State had been rumored to be the early leaders from Finney-Smith, but there have been some reports throughout the day that it wil...
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2012, 01:52:20 PM »
Give Louisville basketball a boy and get back a man.

In a few short years your son will go from being a recruit with a sense of entitlement to a scared senior who will pay his own way or find himself another school to play for.

Okay, if Pitino finds a way to get two more players to pay their own way at Louisville or cuts players loose in June without damaging his ability to still get recruits then I am officially jealous.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 01:55:23 PM by LittleMurs »

GGGG

• All American

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2012, 02:02:56 PM »

feedback