[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Where is Hiroshima?  (Read 4002 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Where is Hiroshima?
« on: May 13, 2012, 07:42:14 AM »
How much longer do we have to wait before we can say that all this talk was wrong?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 07:58:23 AM by AnotherMU84 »

GGGG

• All American
Re: Where is Hiroshima?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 07:52:56 AM »
This week.  Grades are due Tuesday.  Summer session starts Monday the 21st and Buzz said during the ESPN 540 interview that the players are due back then.

That being said, *IF* a player does not return for academic reasons, that doesn't necessarily mean that they are being booted because of a change in policy.  They may not have qualified under a previous policy.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 08:04:23 AM »

That being said, *IF* a player does not return for academic reasons, that doesn't necessarily mean that they are being booted because of a change in policy.  They may not have qualified under a previous policy.

Well, I hope we can properly classify the reasons for the impending boot-outs so the "Hiroshima" like rage by this board can be appropriately directed at the BOT, Pilarz and Williams as they implement their plan to take MU back to "SLU levels" of which 90% of fan would not care.

Did I get it right?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 08:11:37 AM »
I would be very surprised if there is more than one "boot out."

Goose

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 08:44:46 AM »
Sultan

I agree that one is the most and I am still not camp that it will be any "booted". However, I am trusting Muguru and Topper on their info and until all cleared I will be watching closely.

Madtown
You are correct in summing up my thoughts. I do believe 90% of fans would not support program any less if we were a bubble team every 3-4 years. I have had no rage on this topic because of no extra info other than what was has been posted or comments friends have made to me. Really hope you and your inside sources are correct and I am completely wrong on the big picture...time will tell.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 09:09:52 AM »
I think Hiroshima is located in the dark recesses of certain paraniod posters minds.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 09:16:45 AM »
And let's agree that if a student athlete leaves in the next week for academic reasons (almost certainly not disclosed), that it doesn't necessarily suggest the 'end of the program' or that Fr. P and/or LW somehow want D2 basketball full of traditionals.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 09:35:50 AM »
This week.  Grades are due Tuesday.  Summer session starts Monday the 21st and Buzz said during the ESPN 540 interview that the players are due back then.

This isn't helping the conspiracy theorists!

chapman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 01:42:56 PM »
I think Hiroshima is located in the dark recesses of certain paraniod posters minds.

With you.  The better question is what doomsday scenario will the attention whores invent next?

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 01:51:33 PM »
With you.  The better question is what doomsday scenario will the attention whores invent next?

I think you can find your answer in previous posts about the new BOT chairman.  They're already beginning to lump him into the straw man pile with LW and Pilarz.

RE:  Does he UNDERSTAND Marquette basketball??!? 

/GASP

I sure hope he's not in the 90% of MU fans who want MU to turn into SLU! 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 03:38:41 PM »
LabWarrior

Never said 90% want. Us to be SLU, I stated many would not support program any less if we were lower down the basketball chain. I have asked you repeatedly for info that states otherwise and you always hide. You have zero information and smart off like an expert. You are part of the 90% that would know we were SLU until two years after it happened.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2012, 04:05:57 PM »
LabWarrior

Never said 90% want. Us to be SLU, I stated many would not support program any less if we were lower down the basketball chain. I have asked you repeatedly for info that states otherwise and you always hide. You have zero information and smart off like an expert. You are part of the 90% that would know we were SLU until two years after it happened.

Wait ... you're asking lab_warrior to provide hard evidence that disproves your utter speculation? Hmmm.

If you want proof that 90 percent MU base won't tolerate mediocrity, check out MU's attendance figures from the last two years of the Deane era/first two years of the Crean era.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2012, 05:17:20 PM »
I think you can find your answer in previous posts about the new BOT chairman.  They're already beginning to lump him into the straw man pile with LW and Pilarz.

RE:  Does he UNDERSTAND Marquette basketball??!? 

/GASP

I sure hope he's not in the 90% of MU fans who want MU to turn into SLU! 

I know, to make us more of a traditional mid-major they will try and bring back gold.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2012, 06:10:55 PM »
Looks like we lose around 20-25% in attendance when we suck compared to a good year.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2012, 06:14:23 PM »
Looks like we lose around 20-25% in attendance when we suck compared to a good year.

According to Goose that number should be 10% or less

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2012, 07:28:08 PM »
How much longer do we have to wait before we can say that all this talk was wrong?

I have taken an old MU hat out of the closet covered it with aluminum foil including flaps to cover my ears and the following then occurred to me.  The Uthoff visit seems to have been delayed.  What if the reason for the delay was to give MU time to see just what their scholarship situation was before deciding just how much of a red carpet treatment should be given to Jarrod on his visit?????
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2012, 08:29:11 AM »
I have taken an old MU hat out of the closet covered it with aluminum foil including flaps to cover my ears and the following then occurred to me.  The Uthoff visit seems to have been delayed.  What if the reason for the delay was to give MU time to see just what their scholarship situation was before deciding just how much of a red carpet treatment should be given to Jarrod on his visit?????
MU had finals last week and the players are out of town this week.  Add to that, UW's finals are this week.  Nothing more to it than that.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2012, 09:41:28 AM »
If this comes to fruition, this may be an instance where I certainly hate to say, "You're right" to the Hiroshima theorists.
SS Marquette

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2012, 09:48:53 AM »
Little history lesson for those persisting in the use of the Hiroshima metaphor:

Following the Allied victory over Germany in WWII, the U.S. began to set its sights on the invasion of Japan, or Operation Downfall.  Downfall was to be a two-phase invasion of the main island of Japan, beginning with a capture of Kyushu in the fall of 1945 with the invasion of Honshu in the spring of 1946.  Unfortunately, British intelligence indicated that Japan must have fully anticipated this strategy as the Imperial Army & Navy had nearly committed itself entirely to a defense of Kyushu.  All-in, over 30 million Japanese troops and militiamen were prepared for a U.S. invasion.  The result of this build-up had U.S. intelligence estimating at least 1.7 million, and possibly up to 4 million, American casualties and 10-20 million Japanese casualties would be the cost of Operation Downfall (as a matter of comparison, less than 420,000 Americans lost their lives in WWII).  The initial response by the U.S. Army to drastically reduce the number of American casualties was to prepare the chemical warfare unit for deployment.

Directly or indirectly, the bombing of Hiroshima (and Nagasaki) led to the surrender of Japan, thus avoiding nearly 25 million deaths to both sides in worst-case scenarios.  Instead, somewhere between 100,000-170,000 Japanese lost their lives in Hiroshima either from the bombing or later from the effects of radiation, and hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions, of Japanese citizens were spared the agonizing fate of a mustard gas campaign.

------

There.... now every mention of Hiroshima will imply that whatever must happen is the necessary evil to avoid a fate that could be perhaps ten times worse.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.