Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Report: Louisville wants out of the Big East  (Read 7173 times)

Groin_pull

• All American
Re: Report: Louisville wants out of the Big East
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 04:15:18 PM »
I'm sure they do. Just like UConn and Rutgers are dying to join the ACC. The current Big East is strictly a marriage of convenience. Schools are there because they currently have no where else to go. The Big East is on borrowed time. As soon as the next round of conference musical chairs begins, look for those schools to do all they can to escape. And they won't be the only ones. I'm sure Cincy and Memphis will try to join the Big XII...and Georgetown and Villanova will do whatever it takes to hook up with the ACC.   

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 04:19:10 PM »
Lets get it over with:

UNITE

Georgetown, Marquette, Villanova, St. Johns, Seton Hall, DePaul, Dayton, Xavier

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 04:23:43 PM »
I'm sure they do. Just like UConn and Rutgers are dying to join the ACC. The current Big East is strictly a marriage of convenience. Schools are there because they currently have no where else to go. The Big East is on borrowed time. As soon as the next round of conference musical chairs begins, look for those schools to do all they can to escape. And they won't be the only ones. I'm sure Cincy and Memphis will try to join the Big XII...and Georgetown and Villanova will do whatever it takes to hook up with the ACC.   

Bingo.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 04:23:46 PM »
I agree with Groin_pull that this is a big Duh!  I don't see anyway in hell Villanova and Georgetown can make themselves attractive to the ACC, however.  UConn may want to go somewhere with ND, but its much more likely that Rutgers will be their date.  I don't think that any other conference is going to give ND the pass on bringing football along that they got from the Big East.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 07:42:32 PM »

Gotta love what is going on, everyone is backstabbing the sh## out of each other. This conference is a complete mess, to big, geographically abad fit and football and basketball only just do not mix.

dbwarriors

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 07:56:51 PM »
Louisville's AD said they were looking elsewhere 6+ months ago

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 07:57:36 PM »
I agree with Groin_pull that this is a big Duh!  I don't see anyway in hell Villanova and Georgetown can make themselves attractive to the ACC, however.  UConn may want to go somewhere with ND, but its much more likely that Rutgers will be their date.  I don't think that any other conference is going to give ND the pass on bringing football along that they got from the Big East.

Exactly.  The ACC isn't doing any of that "basketball members" crap.  Do you think that those other conferences see the Big East as a model that they should copy???

marquette20

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 09:14:35 PM »
Lets get it over with:

UNITE

Georgetown, Marquette, Villanova, St. Johns, Seton Hall, DePaul, Dayton, Xavier

add Providence, Temple, Butler, and Creighton
Possible other options include: Whichta State, VCU, George Mason, Old Dominion, Drexel, and Murray State

Looks like a solid conference. Would be better than Pac and challenge ACC and Big10 some years. It would flip with Big12 for the 3rd best

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 09:31:07 PM »
add Providence, Temple, Butler, and Creighton
Possible other options include: Whichta State, VCU, George Mason, Old Dominion, Drexel, and Murray State

Looks like a solid conference. Would be better than Pac and challenge ACC and Big10 some years. It would flip with Big12 for the 3rd best

You can forget Temple, they play Division I football.  If you want decent TV revenue, you'd better invite SLU and figure out how to bring ND along.  Honestly, I can't see any of your "other options" doing anything other than diluting revenue for everyone else.  Providence and Butler both could add value.  Regrettably, Creighton probably would not.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 09:34:44 PM »
It's all about football. Georgetown and Villanova are non-starters for any BCS conference (except the Big East). They will have to stick with the poor, lowly Marquettes of the world!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 10:08:10 PM »
Villanova's football team is probably better than Duke.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 10:22:03 PM »
Sultan, it's not that the ACC wants to copy the Big East...it's that they want to take over the NYC area. They already have Syracuse. Add St Johns and Rutgers and they own NY/NJ. That would give them the entire East Coast...from Boston to Miami. Think about the markets. NYC...Boston...Philadelphia...Washington DC...Charlotte...Miami. Not too bad. Don't assume the ACC doesn't want a few select hoops-only schools. Georgetown and Villanova bring a lot to the table...athletically and academically.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 10:52:42 PM »
Sultan, it's not that the ACC wants to copy the Big East...it's that they want to take over the NYC area. They already have Syracuse. Add St Johns and Rutgers and they own NY/NJ. That would give them the entire East Coast...from Boston to Miami. Think about the markets. NYC...Boston...Philadelphia...Washington DC...Charlotte...Miami. Not too bad. Don't assume the ACC doesn't want a few select hoops-only schools. Georgetown and Villanova bring a lot to the table...athletically and academically.

Nope. They won't need more hoops schools or more academically respected schools. Seriously, stop this. Georgetown and Nova fans know this.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 11:07:07 PM »
 I disagree. Guess we'll find out in the next year or two.

dbwarriors

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 11:49:25 PM »
Nova's applied for ACC membership in the past couple years.  ACC may take Philly and the DC market with G-Town.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 11:51:42 PM »
GTown and Nova aren't going anywhere without St Johns and Seton Hall. If there are five seatbelts in that car, MU will also be in on the ride.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 11:58:13 PM »
Nova's applied for ACC membership in the past couple years.  ACC may take Philly and the DC market with G-Town.

Not buying it... Nova won't deliver Philly any more than DePaul delivers Chicago. Heck, the Demons are relegated to a sub-station here locally. Can't even get a broadcast in HD even when it's available.

GTown does nothing for market... ACC is already in DC.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2012, 12:12:13 AM »
Here is the pecking order:

1. Five major conferences that everyone with a football team wishes they could be in.
2. The Big East, where everyone in the other 27 conferences wishes they could play in - and the best conference any basketball-only school could hope for.
3. Twenty-seven other conferences.

Life stinks right now for everyone in CUSA, the soon to collapse WAC, etc.  Yes, the unbelievable 7-year run that Marquette was somehow a part of is over.  We will no longer be in the dominant basketball conference.  But even if Lville, UConn and Rutgers get invited to one of the Big 5 - and by the way who cares now that the AQ status is being thrown out for football - the Big East will be the highest possible scenario for Marquette.

I won't think it will be the end of the world if things fall apart and we end up in the A10 etc. (though the Catholic League idea really would be the end for us), but let's just accept that we can't control the realignement and be happy we are in the highest place we can be, and well beyond what anyone could have hoped for prior to 2005.

It seems to be that people are saying, I'm really worried things might blow up, so let's go ahead and blow them up ourselves just in case.
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2012, 04:50:07 AM »

Gotta love what is going on, everyone is backstabbing the sh## out of each other. This conference is a complete mess, to big, geographically abad fit and football and basketball only just do not mix.

Pretty much like CUSA which you used to vehemently defend if I recall correctly.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2012, 07:30:07 AM »
Benny, why do you think Gtown and 'nova give a sh#t about St Johns and Seton Hall? They don't. It's every school for itself. There are no friends and there are no partnerships. Not anymore. If, by some miracle, the ACC invites Gtown and/or 'nova...do you think they're saying "Oh no, we don't go anywhere without St Johns and Seton Hall." C'mon.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2012, 07:45:01 AM »
The only thing I would say is that if the ACC was going to call on basketball only schools (and I don't think they will), St. John's makes more sense than anyone else, because of NYC and MSG.  Basketball not on a par with Nova and Georgetown right now, but that can easily change with the right coach.  Lavin, if he can stay healthy, would do good things there in the right conference.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 07:46:53 AM by CTWarrior »
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2012, 07:50:37 AM »
Groin, what evidence do you have that suggests that the ACC is after basketball-only members?  Show me *one* legitimate news article that states that this is even remotely being considered.  This shows a complete misunderstanding of the role that college basketball plays in the television landscape.  The regular season of college basketball brings in pretty mediocre ratings...adding private, non-football playing schools isn't going to change that no matter what "markets" they bring.

Furthermore, the ACC just signed its new television deal.  A deal that includes both football and basketball telecasts, and will net all conference members $17M per year...up from the $12M per year that they were making prior and dwarfing the $9M per year football playing BE members make now.

Why would they divide up the pie even more with members that don't play their most watched sport?

It is not going to happen.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2012, 07:52:50 AM »
Villanova's football team is probably better than Duke.

But their stadium is far from BCS quality.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2012, 07:55:17 AM »

How'd that work out for them?