Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dominic James now must focus on consistency, reliability, leadership  (Read 3183 times)

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
It is important and potentially good news that Dominic James has withdrawn his name from the NBA draft and is planning to return to Marquette.

His priority must now be to become a player on whom Marquette can rely every game to be its leader. Too many times in the most recent season, the Dominic James who showed up was more of an impediment than an asset.

I wish him every success. He has the potential to become the team leader and the star that some here want to believe he already is.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 09:02:39 PM by MU Avenue »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Re: Dominic James now must focus on consistency, reliability, leadership
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 10:27:14 PM »
I will be the first to agree that DJ's game isn't perfect. I will also agree that he has show flashes of greatness that make his poor performances look even worse because we know he is capable of more.

BUT,

I will never say that an all-conference performer was an impediment to the team... and I cannot believe that some people actually believe that.

DJ does a TON of things well... shooting and overall shot selection need some work... but he is still one of the best PGs in the country. Like him or not, he just is.

No player is perfect... why is everybody so critical of DJ? You sound like a bunch of spoiled UofL or UK fans.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 12:03:26 AM »
Give me Diener any day.

DJ's athleticism + Diener's shot, decision-making, ability to find teammates, and leadership = ALLEN IVERSON!!!  ;)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 12:05:27 AM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

mviale

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 12:46:40 AM »
We are going to be good next year - Thank you DJ!
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 11:36:36 AM »
He had his moments of greatness and his moments of pure stupidity. He already has very good ability to find teammates and has shown leadership very often, just not always as often as we would like.  The shot and decision making are his greatest weaknesses and if these two points get a lot of work done with them during the offseason and he becomes a constant leader instead of just an occasional leader, we very well may have a younger AI on our team next year.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 03:17:54 PM »
He had his moments of greatness and his moments of pure stupidity. He already has very good ability to find teammates and has shown leadership very often, just not always as often as we would like.  The shot and decision making are his greatest weaknesses and if these two points get a lot of work done with them during the offseason and he becomes a constant leader instead of just an occasional leader, we very well may have a younger AI on our team next year.

Your first line sounds like the exact description of a Sophomore.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 06:18:08 PM »
This year there were many games were James did not show up until the second half. You can look at the box scores to verify this.  McNeal could drive me nuts, because he was trying to do too much. But that was much better than James doing nothing at all. Besides shooting, the other thing Diener was much better at than James was throwing the alley oop pass. He have it consistantly at the perfect spot. James's alley oops are terrible.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 06:51:14 PM »

Your first line sounds like the exact description of a Sophomore.

Maybe that's because he was ;D that would explain some of his dumb plays but also the amazing plays he had.

Diener had quite a few pretty big options that could jump to toss to as well, James, not so much, but I will agree w/ you about the alley oops...but also say that the alley oop should not be a staple of any offense and should only be used in specific situations.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 07:40:34 PM »
IF McNeal continues his progression, and if James becomes more of a true PG,  and if Mbakwe or Burke can at least carry some of the load down low, this team can be extremely entertaining, exciting and dangerous this year. Can't wait to select my new season tix.

Virginia Warrior 77

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 07:48:18 PM »
MU also needs a solid low post option and/or a deadly 3-pt shooter to prevent opposing D's from focusing on taking away DJ's dribble penetration.  The BE title should be within reach.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 08:11:33 PM »
Yep. You can get by w/out an all american center, but, you have to be able to get something from a back-to-the-basket scorer down low. I love Ous, but he's a fast-break and slashing to the basket option. Not that there's anything wrong w/that. But you need a little more (same as MU teams' past). Oh...and I can't forget the Ous special (camp out under the bottom right of the hoop, get a quick dish and then go under the hoop for a reverse layup/dunk).

Mbakwe...please be eligible.

And if Cub and Fitz can be o.k. outside, it could be a special year.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 07:09:50 AM »
Yep. You can get by w/out an all american center, but, you have to be able to get something from a back-to-the-basket scorer down low. I love Ous, but he's a fast-break and slashing to the basket option. Not that there's anything wrong w/that. But you need a little more (same as MU teams' past). Oh...and I can't forget the Ous special (camp out under the bottom right of the hoop, get a quick dish and then go under the hoop for a reverse layup/dunk).

Mbakwe...please be eligible.

And if Cub and Fitz can be o.k. outside, it could be a special year.

You're right about getting some inside punch to keep defenses from doubling and tripling up on DJ... but don't forget about Hayward. He was supposed to be a 3pt threat last year, but obviously struggled with that (not sure what the problem was). BUT, the kid is a very good "scorer". Nothing he did was fancy or mind blowing, but he has very good hands and was very tricky with the ball inside of 8ft. I think you might see a jump in his numbers if he can rebound and play defense well enough to keep himself on the floor. He's already the best inside scoring threat we have.

ALSO: There are different ways to "score inside". You don't always have to have a traditional big man doing your scoring. A good wing(s) (McNeal and Wes) can create from the baseline and get to the hoop. That will help keep teams from always rotating up onto DJ.

Now, if a team goes to the dreaded 2-3 zone, that cuts off the baseline dribble drive, but does open the high post pass into a baseline cutter. McNeal played some high post (free throw line extended) last year in a couple of sets... I'd like to see Hayward develop into that guy. He could shoot, drive, or pass from that position on the floor and it's very hard to defend in a 2-3 set. He appears to have the hands/handle to do it, he will just have to learn offensive recognition to know what to do when he gets the ball in the middle of the floor based upon how the defense reacts. (easier to type than to do).

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 10:58:14 AM »
Jesus. Past 7 p.m. must have wrecked my brain. Totally forgot about Lazar. Inexcusable.

I think he's gonna be a really good college player. Can do all of the little things, and put up 8-10 a game next year. Should be a blast. His three point shooting did finally start improving too as the year went on. If he can improve that, he could create match-up problems too.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 11:00:10 AM »
Lastly 2002alum, you're spot on. McNeal did a good job of that last year (coming up to the elbow and getting looks to people vs. the 2-3). While it still gives MU fits at times, I think they'll be much more capable of beating 2-3 zoning teams next year. They have more tools to combat it.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 12:46:28 PM »
A 2-3 zone is a simple defense to attack successfully----line up 1-3-1 and work the inside/outside passing game off the high post. We saw only glimpses of that last year with McNeal/Hayward on the high post. Options are the high low, the past to the weakside wing off the high post, the drive to the hoop by the high post, or the jump shot by the high post-----if you haven't guessed it yet----the high post is the key guy!

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2007, 03:26:39 PM »
A 2-3 zone is a simple defense to attack successfully----line up 1-3-1 and work the inside/outside passing game off the high post. We saw only glimpses of that last year with McNeal/Hayward on the high post. Options are the high low, the past to the weakside wing off the high post, the drive to the hoop by the high post, or the jump shot by the high post-----if you haven't guessed it yet----the high post is the key guy!

Agreed... the high post player is the key guy... its just that not that many teams have a guy who can play it well. Obviously guys like Hibbert and Green are both big and gifted passers... but not every team has a guy like that.

I think MU could get by if Hayward or McNeal can be effective from that position. Wes also has a nice mid-range game and good size, so I would like to see him get the ball in this position as well.

The good news is that you don't have to be great at beating the 2-3 zone... you just have to be good enough to keep teams from using it against you all game long.

I have to be honest and admit that I wished Crean had used the high post more last year... but I guess I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and assume he knows something I don't...