[June 15, 2024, 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[June 15, 2024, 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[June 15, 2024, 04:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Paranoia  (Read 5542 times)

Clam Crowder

• All American
Paranoia
« on: April 26, 2012, 09:40:52 AM »
It is kind of crazy how just because we are getting mentioned with a bunch of people people are assuming the worst. From the Hiroshima crap to baseless Lockett has committed posts everyone seems to be buying way too much into rumors they heard from useless sources. The guy that reported the Lockett to Marquette stuff that someone thought was a reliable source looks like he's about 20 and an idiot. The Hiroshima stuff also seems pretty foolish, I understand its the nature of the beast on a message board, but just because a kid is visiting doesn't mean the whole backcourt, or any large number of players is leaving. Buzz NEVER stops recruiting. You never know what will happen, but I think that getting mentioned with so many players for 2012 is just fine...We have no PG in this class, what does Buzz like in all his classes? A PG, we have a need for size...we are mentioned with BIGS. It is not rocket science, we do have an open scholarship...Until that scholarship is filled I don't care who we are mentioned with because we have that open scholarship.

PVMagic

• Starter
Re: Paranoia
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 09:50:49 AM »
Agreed.  I've seen it mentioned that Lockett possibly coming means Blue is headed out.  Don't understand how bringing in someone to fill what would be an empty scholarship suddenly = "Hiroshima".

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 09:57:00 AM »
It's the offseason.  Speculation always runs wild this time of year because there's nothing else to do.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 10:01:48 AM »
yup. I think the panic mostly derives from trying to connect recruiting to the SMU/Buzz vs Admin speculation. If you try to wind it all into one big crapstorm, only then does the total implosion start to make sense. I still wouldnt be shocked to see one transfer from last year's team, but I think the idea that half the team is going to go is driven by the melodrama of speculating into Buzz's relationship with Sanders and Pilarz. Thats where the Vander stuff, for instance, comes from.

TomW1365

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 10:05:33 AM »
Amen!  I had asked a few years ago whether players, coaches and or staff read MUSCOOP.  Now we know that staff has made players and coaches aware of some of what is said on here.  All the while, threads have become more about baseless speculation.  In my opinion, talking about kids transferring in this way is wrong.  

PVMagic

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 10:12:01 AM »
Personally, I'd be shocked if Buzz would have stayed if some of his players were forced out for "surprising" reasons (for example, without a new incident).  Perhaps it was discussed, and maybe that is what created the SMU tension, but in my opinion Buzz would be LONG gone if his players were being run out.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 10:16:30 AM »
Personally, I'd be shocked if Buzz would have stayed if some of his players were forced out for "surprising" reasons (for example, without a new incident).  Perhaps it was discussed, and maybe that is what created the SMU tension, but in my opinion Buzz would be LONG gone if his players were being run out.

This is what I was thinking. The insinuation around the implosion is that it isnt driven by Buzz. I think that if the LW & Fr Pilarz told Buzz he had to drop half his team, he would've just said "unnatural carnal knowledge this, I'll just go somewhere else." One thing I think we've learned from Buzz's actions, without speculation, is that his guys really are his number one priority. If he felt the admin was turning him against them, I dont see him sticking around. And this is from a guy who is more cynical than many others about Buzz's intention and future at MU. I think if it were up to him sometimes, he would start his own school and take his team with him.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 10:26:18 AM »
but you forget - they have "sources"

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 10:37:36 AM »
yup. I think the panic mostly derives from trying to connect recruiting to the SMU/Buzz vs Admin speculation. If you try to wind it all into one big crapstorm, only then does the total implosion start to make sense. I still wouldnt be shocked to see one transfer from last year's team, but I think the idea that half the team is going to go is driven by the melodrama of speculating into Buzz's relationship with Sanders and Pilarz. Thats where the Vander stuff, for instance, comes from.

Hey now!  Larry Sanders on the brain?

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 10:38:09 AM »
I think a problem with a lot of the rumors/speculation in this whole situation is timing.  People may have heard different stories, but the don't necessarily know the order, and it might have been a very fluid situation.  The story I heard was that there was a little tension, but Pilarz stepped up and smoothed things over.  So maybe LW started pushing for the "hiroshima", Buzz doesn't like it and considers SMU, people hear rumors from sources, then Pilarz steps in and calms everything down.  So even though a rumor may have been accurate a few weeks ago, it isn't anymore.  I also can't see Buzz sticking around if the administration was trying to force some of his players out.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 10:45:52 AM »
Hey now!  Larry Sanders on the brain?

That was one funny show.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 10:47:58 AM »

WHY WE SHOULD BE PARANOID:

Mistakes MU has made over the years:
- Nickname (TWICE!)
- A controversial academic hire(s)
- Lalumiere  (c'mon, that place is terrible)
- Tearing down classic establishments like the Lanche, Heg's, etc. lacks vision and creativity
- Hiring The Piano Man
- Tom Crean's haircut
- Avenue Commons Project

- Larry Williams is really a "football guy" because he went to ND
- Pilarz is an academic guy, and will sacrifice athletics to get there
- MU won't release the transfers until they get their grades up and pass their classes, so it could still happen
- Buzz is unhappy with the MU admin.
- Some of the BOT would like more "traditional" players

WHY WE SHOULDN'T BE PARANOID:
- MU has made some very good decisions and has experienced very nice growth since the early-mid 90's
- Lots of new infrastructure and campus upgrades
- Significant upgrades in athletic facilities, performance and national profile
- High application rates, high enrollment
- Safer more attractive campus living
- Significant $ investments from large donors based upon athletics
- Buzz just got a big raise last year

- Pilarz comes from G-town, and knows a little something about using athletics to build/maintain academics
- Larry Williams did a fine job at Portland (a non-FB school) and knows about using athletics to build donations (ND connections)
- MU would have released a transfer already so he could look for another school
- Buzz's unhappiness with the administration has been overblown

IF YOU WANT TO FREAK OUT, FEEL FREE TO USE THE REASONS ABOVE, BUT YOU ARE OVERREACTING!

IF YOU WANT TO REMAIN CALM, FEEL FREE TO USE THE REASONS ABOVE, BUT YOU HAVE YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 10:48:40 AM »
I think a problem with a lot of the rumors/speculation in this whole situation is timing.  People may have heard different stories, but the don't necessarily know the order, and it might have been a very fluid situation.  The story I heard was that there was a little tension, but Pilarz stepped up and smoothed things over.  So maybe LW started pushing for the "hiroshima", Buzz doesn't like it and considers SMU, people hear rumors from sources, then Pilarz steps in and calms everything down.  So even though a rumor may have been accurate a few weeks ago, it isn't anymore.  I also can't see Buzz sticking around if the administration was trying to force some of his players out.

This is logical - hope it's true.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 10:55:44 AM »
This is logical - hope it's true.

i've got a source that says there's no room on a message board for logic

Rubie Q

• Starter
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 11:06:00 AM »
i've got a source that says there's no room on a message board for logic

I guess I don't see how it's illogical for people to see all the transferring players MU's been publicly linked to (Rice, Lockett, now McClellan), note that they're almost exclusively guards and that guard is already a position of depth for Marquette, and wonder if something is going on.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 11:17:44 AM »
I guess I don't see how it's illogical for people to see all the transferring players MU's been publicly linked to (Rice, Lockett, now McClellan), note that they're almost exclusively guards and that guard is already a position of depth for Marquette, and wonder if something is going on.

I don't think that any of our guards will transfer, maybe Jamal Ferguson won't come, who knows? I don't mind being mentioned with guys like Lockett. We lost DJO and will have essentially the same roster plus a TJ Taylor and Jamal Ferguson. We play fast, the more bodies we have the better.

leever

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2012, 11:34:41 AM »

Have you considered that maybe guards in general like Marquette's style of play and would like to play here?  Once they have decided to transfer, they look for a place that suits their style fo play, and that might be Marquette for quite a few.

That doesn't mean that Buzz is looking for a slew of guard transfers.  The fact that a number of guards are interested in transferring in does not mean that there is mutual interest from Marquette.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2012, 11:35:43 AM »

If we're recruiting two or three guys to accept all of them it's more than logical that a person or people are leaving - it's fact. But it's also very possible we're recruiting multiple players for only one opening (Durley). Best outcome is Lockett coming in for a year (replaces DJO) with everyone else back. Hiroshima is losing more than one key player to transfer. Lots of possibilities in between.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2012, 11:40:13 AM »
If Hiroshima were to happen - what if the incoming players are much more skilled than the outgoing players?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2012, 11:43:20 AM »

If Buzz is going to fill a scholly, he's going to cast a net that's bigger than 1 guy. Plus, MU is always going to have a lot of "guards" because Buzz runs 3 or 4 "switchables" all of the time.

OR

There are several players transferring.

See my previous post for rationale if you would like to support either of these statements.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2012, 11:54:00 AM »
If Hiroshima were to happen - what if the incoming players are much more skilled than the outgoing players?

I know I'm not as up to date on the recruiting trail as I should be, but when I read "If Hiroshima were to happen", I cringed that it was a politically incorrect joke.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2012, 12:00:40 PM »
I need to clarify something....since I'm the one that claimed it would be "hiroshima", you all are ASSUMING I meant mass roster defection. That's not what I meant at all, nor is it what i said. What i said (or implied) was that IF the truth comes out about why there is a transfer(s), than the ensuing ONSLAUGHT from message board posters and fans(to the people involved) would amount to "Hiroshima". To me, it would be nothing like what happened when buzz was rumored to be leaving.

Just wanted to clear that up. Carry on.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2012, 12:06:07 PM »
I need to clarify something....since I'm the one that claimed it would be "hiroshima", you all are ASSUMING I meant mass roster defection. That's not what I meant at all, nor is it what i said. What i said (or implied) was that IF the truth comes out about why there is a transfer(s), than the ensuing ONSLAUGHT from message board posters and fans(to the people involved) would amount to "Hiroshima". To me, it would be nothing like what happened when buzz was rumored to be leaving.

Is the situation fluid, or is it already decided?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2012, 12:09:32 PM »
If it would academics can see anyone being angry, disappointed but not angry. If for off court issues same holds true. Really cannot see how any forced transfer would cause big uproar. Not trying to bus your balls guru but just does not add to me.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2012, 12:16:03 PM »

if there is a transfer, and the reason  for the transfer doesn't come to light, will you be willing to inform us of what you know?

feedback