Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU best transfer ever  (Read 24299 times)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: MU best transfer ever
« Reply #100 on: April 23, 2012, 12:10:18 PM »
I like how Boylan and Jackson proponents use the NCAA Title and Final Four, respectively, to bolster their arguments.

The fact that Brell and Boone gets love makes me want to see some old tape!

So where are the older games for viewing?!
SS Marquette

PJDunn

• All American
« Reply #101 on: April 23, 2012, 12:24:44 PM »
Boone was a stud and a great guy to boot.  If he does not have a nagging groin injury towards the end of the '85/'86 campaign we go to the tourney. 

RJax was a nice role player.  His success was partly a function of his supporting cast. 

Just my biased opinion.  Fun discussion.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #102 on: April 23, 2012, 01:29:11 PM »
  Boylan.  Instrumental in MU lining up for first place in the entire nation.

Big fan of Boylan. And Boone, for that matter.

As for Robert Jackson, I guess one could call him a role player ... in that everyone not named D-Wade was a role player on that team. At 15.4 points and 7.5 rebs per game, shooting 56 percent from the floor and giving MU its first true center in years (or even decades), that's the kind of role player I wish we'd get lots and lots and lots more of.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #103 on: April 23, 2012, 03:12:24 PM »

Eford prepped at Maine Central Institue in Pittsfield, Maine.

Nope, he went to prep school at New Hampton (N.H.) Prep, as per the bio on his website.

http://www.roneyefordbasketball.com/bio.html
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #104 on: April 23, 2012, 03:18:49 PM »
 Let's not forget " Don" Gary Grzeszk and the all time Kojis from ND.  In fact, the Catholic Conference schools produced quite a few MU players.  St. Kate's Rocke Calvelli and Chones immediately come to mind. And how about Allie McGuire, and Rosenberger from MUHS!  More?  There are.

Uh, Bill Neary.

And that other Marquette U High walkon, Rick Majerus.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 03:20:39 PM by LittleMurs »

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #105 on: April 23, 2012, 04:01:02 PM »
Really? Cat fell asleep on the pines.

Keith Stewart should have been in teal. 
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #106 on: April 23, 2012, 05:34:30 PM »
Jim was from tiny Assumption College and wanted to transfer to N Carolina. Dean Smith didn't take transfers (unless your name was Bob McAdoo) so he recommended Jim to Al. All Boylan does is beat Dean in the national championship game.

I'm with Lenny - Boylan took us to the promised land. Best transfer? Not sure. Most strategic? Absolutely.

Best JUCo would be Jerome Whitehead. Prototypical Aircraft Carrier - Al coined the term when referring to J. Pretty strong endorsement.

Whitehead was the coolest cat. Shortly after returning from Atlanta in '77 all the team members were sporting sealskin jackets. Rosenberger had a waist length, most had regular coat length, but Whitehead had ankle length seal skin. With that coat, his gradated shades, afro and imperturbable expression he was the nuts on the boulevard.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #107 on: April 23, 2012, 05:37:51 PM »
Warthog
They were all decked out in awfully cool jackets. Are you sure seal or sheepskin?

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #108 on: April 23, 2012, 05:48:39 PM »
Warthog
They were all decked out in awfully cool jackets. Are you sure seal or sheepskin?

Sealskin! 100% certain. This was in the very early days of seal clubbing outrage so they had no qualms about donning such exquisite finery. Personally, given the number of hooked salmon I have lost to seals over the years, I have no issue with seal skin clothing.

One has to wonder how the guys all got together and decided to walk down to Boston Store to pick out their seal skin jackets?

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #109 on: April 24, 2012, 09:43:41 AM »
Not saying best ever BUT.......I think DJO belongs in the conversation.

NCAA bound all 3 years including back-to-back Sweet 16's.  As a senior was First Team All Big East and was a fraction of a point from being the Big East scoring champ (only to lose the title to the best Big East Player of ALL TIME!)

As a Junior was Second Team All Big East.

Put up damn good stats all 3 years and was a BIG part in all of the success.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #110 on: April 24, 2012, 09:57:30 AM »
The 1976 & 1977 teams and the 2011 & 12 teams are the only two groups of teams who have won at least their two NCAA games to advance--back to back.  Both teams were fueled by JUCO's and transfer-ins

tower912

• All American
« Reply #111 on: April 24, 2012, 10:23:30 AM »
Careful with the squirmy sacrilege, Doc. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #112 on: April 24, 2012, 10:57:23 AM »
The 1976 & 1977 teams and the 2011 & 12 teams are the only two groups of teams who have won at least their two NCAA games to advance--back to back.  Both teams were fueled by JUCO's and transfer-ins
As were many of John Wooden's UCLA National champion teams.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #113 on: April 24, 2012, 01:18:25 PM »

This puts my thinking on recruiting in a new light.  JUCOs and transfer are not the way to begin building a team, but they are the best way of finishing.  Once you see the weaknesses from the base you recruited, you fill in with mature players.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #114 on: April 24, 2012, 01:30:30 PM »
This puts my thinking on recruiting in a new light.  JUCOs and transfer are not the way to begin building a team, but they are the best way of finishing.  Once you see the weaknesses from the base you recruited, you fill in with mature players.

Bob Knight's last championship team (87?) was led by two jucos - may have been the only ones he ever had at I4.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #115 on: April 25, 2012, 06:48:02 PM »
Bob Knight's last championship team (87?) was led by two jucos - may have been the only ones he ever had at I4.

You're right - Keith Smart and Dean Garrett were both JuCOs. Knight had no problem with JUCOs and said so on TV as an analyst. He commented that without Smart and Garrett there is no ring in 87.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #116 on: April 25, 2012, 10:17:18 PM »

Led by two jucos?  Are you sure some guy named Steve Alford, 22 points per game (the two you mention avg'd 11) didn't lead Indiana?  Those two juco players were good and key players, but some traditional guy led them to the title.

Been reading this board for quite some time, several years.  Do not recall anyone ever saying no JUCO players should be recruited or allowed at Marquette.  Maybe someone can point to where that was the case made here as my memory is foggy.  Some posters, fans and alumni had trepidations over the quantity of JUCOs and the types of JUCOs these kids were coming from.  Weren’t there concerns of diploma factories for Yous and other players?   
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #117 on: April 25, 2012, 10:28:05 PM »
As were many of John Wooden's UCLA National champion teams.

Who?

Sidney Wickes, Swen Nater (played less than 3 minutes per game) and John Vallely are the ones that come to mind.  Maybe there are more, but that wouldn't constitute many over 10 national championship teams. 

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #118 on: April 26, 2012, 07:26:02 AM »
I'm with Lenny - Boylan took us to the promised land. Best transfer? Not sure. Most strategic? Absolutely.

Best JUCo would be Jerome Whitehead. Prototypical Aircraft Carrier - Al coined the term when referring to J. Pretty strong endorsement.

Whitehead was the coolest cat. Shortly after returning from Atlanta in '77 all the team members were sporting sealskin jackets. Rosenberger had a waist length, most had regular coat length, but Whitehead had ankle length seal skin. With that coat, his gradated shades, afro and imperturbable expression he was the nuts on the boulevard.
[/quote  Who remembers the unlicensed tee shirt that surfaced after the national championship showing Al holding a Marquette Banner over his head and the team with the caption 1977 N.C.A.A. Champs?  Still got mine!

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #119 on: April 26, 2012, 11:57:08 AM »
Who?

Sidney Wickes, Swen Nater (played less than 3 minutes per game) and John Vallely are the ones that come to mind.  Maybe there are more, but that wouldn't constitute many over 10 national championship teams. 
  Without doing an exhaustive search, since Wicks and Vallely constituted 40% of the starting 5 for the 69 and 70 teams, I think that is pretty significant.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #120 on: April 28, 2012, 12:49:50 PM »
  Without doing an exhaustive search, since Wicks and Vallely constituted 40% of the starting 5 for the 69 and 70 teams, I think that is pretty significant.

Yes, important players on those two teams, but he had 10 championship teams and 80% of them had no JUCO players. That is where your many comment threw me off.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #121 on: April 29, 2012, 08:26:39 PM »
As for Robert Jackson, I guess one could call him a role player ... in that everyone not named D-Wade was a role player on that team. At 15.4 points and 7.5 rebs per game, shooting 56 percent from the floor and giving MU its first true center in years (or even decades), that's the kind of role player I wish we'd get lots and lots and lots more of.
+1Million. RJax was a beast. Great player for MU.

Seems obvious in retrospect, but that Final 4 team was loaded with talent. D Wade, Diener and Novak all went onto the NBA with Dwyane a lock for the Hall of Fame. Scott Merritt and RJax were also both really good college players who would start on just about any other Marquette team since.
We Are Marquette

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #122 on: April 29, 2012, 08:33:19 PM »

Great point Murs.  Kind of difficult to know exactly what a 16 y/o will bring to the table 3-4 years down the road but I think Buzz had a pretty good sense that Jae could start for him for two years 6 months before he got to campus.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #123 on: April 29, 2012, 10:12:42 PM »
Greatest non MU transfer of all time........

Larry Bird

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #124 on: April 30, 2012, 08:22:51 PM »
Have we established "The Best Ever?" It would be interesting to see where people are at after this dialogue.