Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dominic James is hedging his bet  (Read 4760 times)

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
Dominic James is hedging his bet
« on: June 13, 2007, 01:01:32 PM »
Dominic James is no more ready for the NBA than most other pretty-good collegiate basketball players. Look at all of the mock drafts that are being published. While each of them is just one person's opinion, none that I have seen has James being drafted in the first or the second round.

My theory is simple: James is pressing on with his plans to enter the NBA draft because he knows that if he stays in college and has another season like the last one, he will definitely not be drafted. He knows that he has at least a prayer of being drafted this year.

James is a poor shooter who too often makes bad decisions involving shots or passes. His play last season was not a slump or an aberration. I would not be surprised if we never see James in the NBA.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 01:03:46 PM by MU Avenue »

NotAnAlum

• All American
Re: Dominic James is hedging his bet
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 01:27:31 PM »
If he really believes that then he is absolutely crazy to enter the draft.  If he can't be good enough to improve in college he sure as heck isn't going to be good enough to stay on an NBA roster.  If your theory is correct (and I don't agree with it I just think he thinks he is a great player who is ready for the NBA) then he MUST stay in college because he will need that degree to make a living.

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 02:29:58 PM »
Mu Avenue that is a really really dumb comment.  What you are saying is DJ would then be the first player ever to not get at least somewhat better over the course of another season or two?   Just plain stupid, under that reasoning all kids should just declare out of high school, or junior high.  Sheez, he's got the BE coaches snowed, and the guys that send out the invites to the NBA camped snowed, who's to think that he does not have the GM's snowed too?  The greatest con artisted ever...he really is no good but he got a college scholarship, Be rookie of the year, 1st team all - big east,  an NBA invite  all through some mind tricks or something.  But the gig is almost up..he's losing his power and will never get it back.  Stupid! ???

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 02:51:40 PM »
Remember Chris Thomas?

But in DJ's case-----he has the potential to get better because of his athleticism----i believe he's very disappointed that he didn't improve last year in the MU system----he may be blaming the system and not himself----may harbor second thoughts about coming back to MU as a result!

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 02:55:53 PM »
Dominic James is no more ready for the NBA than most other pretty-good collegiate basketball players. Look at all of the mock drafts that are being published. While each of them is just one person's opinion, none that I have seen has James being drafted in the first or the second round.

My theory is simple: James is pressing on with his plans to enter the NBA draft because he knows that if he stays in college and has another season like the last one, he will definitely not be drafted. He knows that he has at least a prayer of being drafted this year.

James is a poor shooter who too often makes bad decisions involving shots or passes. His play last season was not a slump or an aberration. I would not be surprised if we never see James in the NBA.

I agree with everything about this post. Plenty of players regress in college.

And Harrison, your comment about NBA camp invites is peculiar, considering DJ wasn't one of the initial invitees. He's simply not an NBA caliber player.

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 03:01:29 PM »
It's actually not that "stupid", Harrison.  NBA GMs are enamored with youth and potential in which James had gobs of his freshman year and even more after the Duke game.  But then he began to struggle.  His youth and potential index took a major hit and, IMHO, GMs will now be looking for proof rather than potential in determining if James is worth a roster spot.

tonyreeder

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 03:30:29 PM »
So Dominic James does not think he can improve his game.  He's as good as he'll ever be and he knows if he goes back to school he'll have another year like the last one.  That's the theory here.  If that is indeed true then good riddance.  He's a quitter.    Personally, I believe this is crap.  He does not strike me as someone who lacks confidence in his abilities.  And with someone who has confidence in his abilities I find it hard to believe he does not think he can improve through work and practice.  Maybe he doesn't like school period. I know he's done just fine academically but maybe he doesn't particularly like it. Maybe his family needs the money.  Maybe Murff isn't completely off his rocker and he isn't particularly fond of Crean.  I have no idea but I don't think a lack of confidence to improve his game flys.  I have no chance of improving so I'll go pro and not improve there--that should do my basketball career well.  How long will an NBA team keep around a guy like this.

Phi Iota Gamma 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 03:30:40 PM »
James problem seems more focus.  We have all seen what he CAN do.  It is not potential, he was trying too hard for the NBA last year, and he let that pressure get to his ability.  I pray he comes back and just plays basketball because I think he could be the first PG in the draft based on his ability.  MU needs a reliable outside shooter to take DJ's game to the next level.  Wes and Jerel play too close to the basket to help DJ the way Novak did.
There is nothing less productive than doing more efficiently that which should not be done at all-Peter Drucker

21rooster

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 08:37:19 PM »

So Dominic James does not think he can improve his game.  He's as good as he'll ever be and he knows if he goes back to school he'll have another year like the last one.  That's the theory here.  If that is indeed true then good riddance.  He's a quitter.    Personally, I believe this is crap.  He does not strike me as someone who lacks confidence in his abilities.  And with someone who has confidence in his abilities I find it hard to believe he does not think he can improve through work and practice.  Maybe he doesn't like school period. I know he's done just fine academically but maybe he doesn't particularly like it. Maybe his family needs the money.  Maybe Murff isn't completely off his rocker and he isn't particularly fond of Crean.  I have no idea but I don't think a lack of confidence to improve his game flys.  I have no chance of improving so I'll go pro and not improve there--that should do my basketball career well.  How long will an NBA team keep around a guy like this.

With "fans" like us, who needs rivals?  Way to dog your own player.  Don't get me wrong, it's been all over the board but it's getting old.  I love how we can take one poster's speculation and determine that James is a quitter based on that.  Did James have some issues this year?  Of course.  Was it due to lack of focus?  Possibly - he even hinted that he didn't have the same chip on his shoulder.  Is that reason to go after a guy?  I don't know about you guys, but when I was in college, getting ready for my career, I "lost focus" a few times.  Some people like to blame DJ.  Others say he doesn't want to come back because the coaching staff can't improve his game.  I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't be too excited about coming back to play for a school where I get booed on my home court and unnecessarily ripped on the school's message boards...kind of takes the fun out of the game.  If the environment isn't fun, why not try to get paid for my work, especially when the point guard class is as weak as I may see? 

We're talking about a good kid who caused no trouble, represented the University extremely well, and was a big part of the reason we've been so successful in the Big East.  He may not be ready for the NBA yet, but some people on this board act like he doesn't even belong in college basketball.  Give the kid a break. 

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 09:10:53 PM »
I think DJ needs to quit proving to people he can score and instead focus on being a confident leader.  We all know he can score.  He should focus on how he can get the best out of his teammates. 

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 07:40:46 AM »
NCMUFAN----you hit the nil right on the head----the numbers he should primarily be concerned with is the apg number and also the TO number----let the rest come to him, which it will in that case.

tonyreeder

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2007, 08:26:07 AM »
sroirraw,
my post was apparently unclear.  I said DJames would be a quitter in my opinion if the the "hedging the bet"  theory is truly what's going on.  I then said I felt this theory was crap.  I would love for Dominic to return but I'll respect whatever decision he makes.  My point was that it is his decision and we don't know what's going on in his life and what factors may be weighing into this decision and to speculate that it's because he doesn't think he can return to college and improve his game and this is his one and only opportunity to get drafted is pretty darn unfair to the kid.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2007, 03:00:06 PM »
I would love for Dominic to return but I'll respect whatever decision he makes.  My point was that it is his decision and we don't know what's going on in his life and what factors may be weighing into this decision and to speculate that it's because he doesn't think he can return to college and improve his game and this is his one and only opportunity to get drafted is pretty darn unfair to the kid.

Amen.
I'm getting nauseous from all the posts from those who seem to know:
A. What DJ is thinking
B. The circumstances and factors that weigh on his decision
C. What is best for him

I suspect Dominic James knows much more about Dominic James' situation than any of us do. Let him make his decision, hope it works out for him and, if he leaves, be happy he was at Marquette, leading your team to 44 wins the past two seasons.
When all is said and done, I think it's safe to say DJ is the most underappreciated player at Marquette in the two decades I've been following the program.

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2007, 03:32:20 PM »
He's not underappreciated.  He was overhyped by Crean and ESPN, unfortunately.

Plus, he followed one of the best players in Marquette history.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2007, 03:54:43 PM »
I would love for Dominic to return but I'll respect whatever decision he makes.  My point was that it is his decision and we don't know what's going on in his life and what factors may be weighing into this decision and to speculate that it's because he doesn't think he can return to college and improve his game and this is his one and only opportunity to get drafted is pretty darn unfair to the kid.

Amen.
I'm getting nauseous from all the posts from those who seem to know:
A. What DJ is thinking
B. The circumstances and factors that weigh on his decision
C. What is best for him

I suspect Dominic James knows much more about Dominic James' situation than any of us do. Let him make his decision, hope it works out for him and, if he leaves, be happy he was at Marquette, leading your team to 44 wins the past two seasons.
When all is said and done, I think it's safe to say DJ is the most underappreciated player at Marquette in the two decades I've been following the program.

If we were to list the most underappreciated players in the past 20 years, I'm not sure DJ would even make the top 20. Maybe another thread?

Joe Chapman? Now THAT was an underappreciated player! Cordell Henry, also.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2007, 04:18:21 PM »

Plus, he followed one of the best players in Marquette history.

I guess DJ is overhyped by more than just Crean and ESPN based on the following:   ::)

2006-07 Season Honors: Named an Associated Press Honorable Mention All-American ... Named to BIG EAST All-Conference First Team ... Unanimous Preseason All-BIG EAST ... named to the John R. Wooden Award Preseason Top 50 ... named to Rivals.com Preseason All-America First Team ... named Collegehoops.net Preseason All-American ... named All-American by four ESPN.com experts, including Jay Bilas and Pat Forde ... nominee for Bob Cousy Award ... preseason candidate for Naismith Award ... named to Wooden Award Midseason All-American Team ... named Bob Cousy Award finalist ... Named Naismith Award Finalist ... Named to NABC Division I All-District First Team ... Named to USBWA All-District Team ... Named to BIG EAST Weekly Honor Roll (Nov. 27) ... Named BIG EAST Player of the Week (Jan. 15) ... Named BIG EAST Player of the Week (Jan. 22). Had 13 points and four assists against Hillsdale Coll. (Nov. 10) ... scored 37 points and had eight assists in two games of the Milwaukee Region of the CBE Classic, where he was named MVP ... led team with 17 points against Eastern Mich. (Nov. 18) ... scored 16 points vs Texas Tech (Nov. 20) and 25 points in win over Duke (Nov. 21) en route to a CBE Classic MVP honor and BIG EAST Honor Roll mention ... also was named CollegeInsider.com Player of the Week for his efforts ... had season high seven assists in Duke win, accounting for 16 of MU's 25 field goals ... led team with 22 points, half coming on a career high 11 made free throws vs. Valparaiso (Nov. 27) ... Recorded 19 points, five rebounds and six assists against Northwestern State (Dec. 1) ... was 5-for-7 from the field, scoring 13 points vs. Delaware State (Dec. 5) ... connected for 19 points against Wisconsin (Dec. 9) ... registered a team high 17 points and six assists, along with four steals in win against UMBC (Dec. 16) ... recorded nine assists, scored 20 points and grabbed six rebounds vs. Oakland (Dec. 21) ... against Savannah St. (Dec. 30), scored 22 points with six assists ... had 12 points and four assists against Providence (Jan. 4) ... scored 17 points at Connecticut (Jan. 10) ... scored a game-high 21 points and tied a career best with five steals against West Virginia (Jan. 13) ... was named BIG EAST Player of the Week (Jan. 15) ... tallied 18 points and five assists at Louisville (Jan. 15) ... scored a team-high 23 points with five assists and no turnovers in win over Pittsburgh (Jan. 21) ... named BIG EAST Player of the Week (Jan. 22) ... was 5-for-10 from the field, scoring 11 points vs. Seton Hall (Jan. 24) ... had six assists, four steals and 16 points against USF (Jan. 28) ... tallied seven assists without a turnover against Rutgers (Feb. 7) ... recorded 17 points at DePaul (Feb. 14) ... tied a team-high with 18 points and had five assists against Villanova (Feb. 19) ... recorded a season-high nine rebounds to go along with 14 points and eight assists aginst Notre Dame (Feb. 24) ... made a career-high 10 assists against Pittsburgh (Mar. 3) ... had eight assists vs St. John's (Mar. 7) ... scored 16 points against Pittsburgh (Mar. 8) ... scored a team-high 18 points in first round of NCAA Tournament against Michigan State (Mar. 15).

2005-06 Notes: 2005-06 BIG EAST Rookie of the Year ... Unanimous BIG EAST All-Rookie Team selection and was named Honorable Mention All-BIG EAST ... Earned Collegehoops.net First Team All-Rookie honors ... One of three Marquette players to start in every game this season ... Is a six-time BIG EAST Rookie of the Week honoree ... Scored a freshman season scoring record 473 points, topping Doc Rivers mark that stood for 25 seasons ... Was second on the team with 15.3 points per game, 13th in the BIG EAST and the best freshman scorer in the BIG EAST ... Was second on the team with fellow freshman Jerel McNeal in rebounds per game with 4.5 ... Made 43.1 percent of his attempts from the field in the regular season, a number that put him above all freshmen in the BIG EAST and 13th among all BIG EAST players ... Dished 167 assists ranking him third overall in the conference and the top freshman ... Nationally he ranked 29th in the nation in assists, the fourth highest freshman total ... Second on the freshman season assists list with 167 behind Tony Miller (1991-92, 221) ... Scored a team high 16 in career debut in MU's win over Rice (Nov. 18) ... Logged nine assists in win over Owls ... Played 37 minutes, scoring 15 against Winthrop (Nov. 19) to earn All-Tournament at the Pepsi Blue & Gold Classic ... Was named BIG EAST Rookie of the Week on November 21 following the first week of the season ... was selected to the Great Alaska Shootout All-Tournament Team after scoring 41 points in three games ... Matched a career high nine assists against South Carolina (Nov. 26) ... went to the free throw line 11 times against Oral Roberts (Nov. 25) converting six of his attempts ... Scored a team high 22 points at Nebraska (Nov. 30) ... Grabbed a season high five steals against South Dakota State (Dec. 3) ... Converted seven of 17 attempts from the field scoring 17 points against Oakland (Dec. 19) ... was one of three Golden Eagles to score in double figures against Delaware State (Dec. 22) recording 10 points ... Led all scorers with 22 points against Lewis (Dec. 28) ... Dished seven assists for the second consecutive game against no. 2 Connecticut (Jan. 3) ... recorded ten games of seven or more assists ... Marquette is 7-3 in those contests ... Scored a team leading 18 points against Cincinnati (Jan. 7) ... Was the only Golden Eagle to be perfect from the charity stripe, converting all four of his attempts against Cincinnati ... Had 14 first half points, the second time in as many games and third time this season that an MU player has had 14 by halftime ... Sunk 10 of his attempts from the floor for another career best at West Virginia (Jan. 14) to score a career best 28 points ... Earned his second BIG EAST Player of the Week honor for the week of Jan. 16 after his career performance at West Virginia ... Topped his previous career high 28 points with a team leading 29 points at DePaul (Jan. 17) ... 17 of his points came in the first half in 16 minutes ... recorded a career high 17 field goal attempts at DePaul ... Earned back-to-back BIG EAST Rookie of the Week honors after averaging 20.0 points, 5.0 rebounds, 4.5 assists and 3.0 steals in a 2-0 week ... Recorded 11 points, a team high six assists, five rebounds and one block and one steal against Notre Dame (Jan. 20) ... stands second on the freshman steals list with 42 ... Had seven or more assists for the 10th time this season against DePaul ... It was the eighth time this year that he combined seven or more assists with 10 or more points ... led Marquette with 16 points, six rebounds and four steals at Pittsburgh (Jan. 28) ... his 16 points (14 in the second half) against St. John's (Feb. 1) ... Earned his fourth BIG EAST Rookie of the Week honor after recording 22 points, five rebounds, three assists and two steals in his only game this week at Rutgers (Feb. 12) ... Tallied his fifth Rookie of the Week honor on Feb. 20 after scoring 16.0 points per game, and averaging 5.5 assists and two steals in wins over ranked teams .. His 18 points at Notre Dame (Feb. 25) gives him his 13th straight game of 10 or more points, 25th for the season ... Notched his first double double of the season at Louisville (March 1) with 16 points and a team leading 11 boards ... Hit the buzzer beating three-pointer to send the game at Louisville into overtime ... Tied his career high with nine assists against Providence (March 4) ... Named BIG EAST Rookie of the Week for the sixth time this season on March 6 following his performances at Louisville and against Providence.

With all the bashing that is directed towards DJ on various sites, we seem to forget that he is a pretty damn good player who might or might not be ready for the NBA at this point in time.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2007, 08:16:31 PM »

If we were to list the most underappreciated players in the past 20 years, I'm not sure DJ would even make the top 20. Maybe another thread?

Joe Chapman? Now THAT was an underappreciated player! Cordell Henry, also.

Joe Chapman???
Joe Chapman was a four-star recruit who wasn't even a steady contributor until the end of his junior season, and only then because of Diener's injuries. Quality character/hustle guy, for sure. But in terms of actual production he was a disappoinment.

DJ was one of the most accomplished freshmen in Marquette history, the key player on a 20-win, NCAA tournament team and, despite a terrible shooting season, led last year's team to 24 wins. Yet to read some of the posts here the past 4-5 months, he's a major disappoinment, a glorified Marcus West whose pro prospects are akin to Greg Clausen's. Sheesh.

Unfortunately, DJ is a victim of overblown expectations not of his own making.  MU fans love nothing more, it seems, than pull out the knives on their best player when he doesn't play to their expectations. The same was true of DWade. I can remember how not until the end of his second season a not insignificant number of posters on the old board would lament what a mistake he would be making by turning pro and how he wasn't ready for the NBA.

Now, that may be true of DJ, but he's a much, much better player than he's given credit for here. With him, Marquette is a legit contender for the Big East title next year. Without him, they're middle of the pack.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2007, 08:23:27 PM »

With all the bashing that is directed towards DJ on various sites, we seem to forget that he is a pretty damn good player who might or might not be ready for the NBA at this point in time.

He is a pretty darn good player who disappeared down the stretch. As for the NBA, not ready is the correct answer.