[Today at 07:42:14 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by Lennys Tap
[April 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Unofficial "Buzz to ______" Archive  (Read 64364 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: CBS Sports Believes UCLA Will Court Buzz Williams
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2013, 11:01:47 PM »
Let me get this straight ...

UCLA fired a guy that has three final fours in the last seven years, and just won the Pac-12 regular season.  But his is not good enough in Westwood.  So to fix this they will hire a guy three S16s and no recruiting ties to Southern CA?

Make sense to you?

The next coach should rent, not buy in LA.  They will be out of a job in three years unless they win it all.  With these insanely high expectations, this might be the worst job in college basketball.

A lot more to it than that.  All that you say is true, but in the three years prior to this one, 56-45 record, missed NCAA 2 of 3 times, no Sweet 16's, missed on a lot of recruits, many transfers and a bad expose in SI about the problems at UCLA.

It's a what have you done for me lately world.  He was at UCLA for 10 years, longer than any MU coach since Al McGuire.  It is hardly the worst job in college basketball, which is why you are seeing names like Buzz, Stevens, Smart being mentioned.  The right guy wins national titles at UCLA.  The wrong guy, doesn't last forever...that's an attractive proposition for some people wanting a chance to grab the golden chalice, for others they want no part of that pressure.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2013, 11:02:09 PM »
Supposed to just ignore the articles?

In a word, yes.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2013, 11:02:43 PM »
With the recruiting class he has and the talent he has coming back he would be a moron to leave for UCLA. If he leaves he would be just as bad as Crean and he would have done it for the same reasons. It's clear and simple. If he is a man of his word, and he really will stay as long as we'll have him then we are happy and lucky to have him. If he leaves than I think the last two coaches have created a PROGRAM that is bigger than a COACH.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2013, 11:04:00 PM »
It takes a lot to shock me, but I would be floored if it's not Shaka Smart.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2013, 11:06:05 PM »
With the recruiting class he has and the talent he has coming back he would be a moron to leave for UCLA. If he leaves he would be just as bad as Crean and he would have done it for the same reasons. It's clear and simple. If he is a man of his word, and he really will stay as long as we'll have him then we are happy and lucky to have him. If he leaves than I think the last two coaches have created a PROGRAM that is bigger than a COACH.

If ucla asks, you say yes. If Buzz gets ucla, he also gets Stone & Looney. A recruiting class with 3 top 50 kids is no big deal at ucla.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2013, 11:12:54 PM »
If ucla asks, you say yes. If Buzz gets ucla, he also gets Stone & Looney. A recruiting class with 3 top 50 kids is no big deal at ucla.

UCLA would be foolish to ask Buzz when Brad Stevens is a coach in the NCAA. What Brad has done with his talent makes what Buzz has done look like a small feat. Brad should be number 1 on that list and all other candidates should be a distant second. We like our coach, we think he is great, but look around at fans in our own conference, watch his press conferences, and watch him dance and you'll see that he fits here but alot of other places are not amused. Buzz will stay because he fits and is happy here.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2013, 11:14:08 PM »
"Here's the thing: My title has changed. My W-2 has changed. But my heart hasn't changed," he said. "This is a business that's full of egos, full of media-savvy people, full of exposure, full of money, and a lot of time that changes people. I don't want my title, I don't want my income to ever change who I am.

"I understand the evolution of how coaches change and how the media and the power hungriness of it all changes people. But I refuse to let it change me. I know I'll get older and I'll handle it better, I hope, but I don't ever want to change what I believe in my heart to be right.

"I'll be here as long as they'll have me here."

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/88881442.html

If he thinks MU's administration was tough, wait until he sees conservative UCLA.  What, two JUCOs in 10 years?  Very tight admissions policy.  Etc, etc.

this

"There's a fragile line in our industry, too, and that fragile line is how hard it is to get a job, how hard it is to get a good job and of the small collection of good jobs, how hard it is to have a good job and make it a great job.  The hardest thing in life to get is momentum and the hardest thing in life to keep is momentum" - Buzz Williams last night
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2013, 11:18:04 PM »
Buzz is always going to be in the rumors, and it doesn't seem like there is ever much to it.

I would like to see Gary Parrish's record on predicting coaching changes.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2013, 11:25:59 PM »
I suspect Buzz would not want his kids to grow up in SoCal.
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2013, 11:28:31 PM »
Let the bullsh*t start. ::)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2013, 11:33:01 PM »
The off the court incidents of last year at MU may actually work against Buzz on this as well.  Again, UCLA very conservative and that baggage, perceived as wrongful or not, more than likely won't play well with Chancellor Block.  Chancellor Carnesale is gone now, but I'm sure still has influence.

Just a hunch, but that could be an issue for UCLA (who is not above it all, they've had their own issues).

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2013, 11:33:49 PM »

With the kind of scratch he will make, his kids would grow up in a very nice environment. 

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2013, 11:36:18 PM »
"Here's the thing: My title has changed. My W-2 has changed. But my heart hasn't changed," he said. "This is a business that's full of egos, full of media-savvy people, full of exposure, full of money, and a lot of time that changes people. I don't want my title, I don't want my income to ever change who I am.

"I understand the evolution of how coaches change and how the media and the power hungriness of it all changes people. But I refuse to let it change me. I know I'll get older and I'll handle it better, I hope, but I don't ever want to change what I believe in my heart to be right.

"I'll be here as long as they'll have me here."

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/88881442.html

If he thinks MU's administration was tough, wait until he sees conservative UCLA.  What, two JUCOs in 10 years?  Very tight admissions policy.  Etc, etc.

Stop. Situations and conditions change. Only a fool constrains himself by blindly adhering to previously held beliefs when the conditions and circumstances that formed those beliefs change. The people that Buzz swore allegiance to are no longer at MU. I know you will trot these old quotes out if Buzz leaves for a better job, but most reasonable people will see it for what it is.

I'm pretty certain you agree with my above comments, and are only throwing out these quotes to set up the "Buzz is different" crowd if/when he leaves. Trust me, I sympathize with the impulse, but ultimately it's just petty and annoying.

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2013, 11:37:53 PM »
Even Bleacher Report gets how ridiculous Buzz to UCLA is

"There has been Twitter chatter about Buzz Williams, which is actually funny if you think of Howland's noisiest detractors, who say he plays too grinding a defensive style and doesn't emphasize offense. Williams is the living, screaming embodiment of grinding basketball, the gold standard of punishing defense and just enough offense to escape with a win. The mob would be calling for Williams' head before three seasons were out."

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1578686-ucla-vs-minnesota-does-bruins-loss-signal-end-of-ben-howland-era
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2013, 11:49:18 PM »
Most of this speculation stuff = kids typing. Yawn.

I'm not sure Shaka is a UCLA guy.. Buzz? Really tough to believe that's a good match.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2013, 11:51:45 PM »
Katz wrote an article and didn't mention Buzz. Amazing!

http://t.co/uyv2efb9KM

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2013, 11:58:19 PM »
Pretty interesting NYT piece showing what programs top coaches thought to be the best.

http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/31/best-basketball-programs-coaches-make-the-call/?src=recg

Buzz Williams, Marquette (No. 23)

Programs named: Kentucky, North Carolina, Duke, Syracuse, U.C.L.A., Kansas

Criteria: “Tradition, winning, who their coaches were, their success in the N.C.A.A. tournament, the notoriety, exposure, media.”

A few observations:
- UCLA is in that list
- Texas is not in that list
- Interesting insight into what Buzz deems to be hallmarks of premier programs (media exposure and notoriety are important to him)

Makes me more comfortable that he won't head to Texas if that job opens up. Who knows if be wants to got after UCLA. Who could blame him though it just doesn't seem to fit with what I think I know about the guy.

AirPunches

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2013, 12:21:48 AM »
Pretty interesting NYT piece showing what programs top coaches thought to be the best.

http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/31/best-basketball-programs-coaches-make-the-call/?src=recg

Buzz Williams, Marquette (No. 23)

Programs named: Kentucky, North Carolina, Duke, Syracuse, U.C.L.A., Kansas

Criteria: “Tradition, winning, who their coaches were, their success in the N.C.A.A. tournament, the notoriety, exposure, media.”

A few observations:
- UCLA is in that list
- Texas is not in that list
- Interesting insight into what Buzz deems to be hallmarks of premier programs (media exposure and notoriety are important to him)

Makes me more comfortable that he won't head to Texas if that job opens up. Who knows if be wants to got after UCLA. Who could blame him though it just doesn't seem to fit with what I think I know about the guy.

Funny that not one coach named Indiana.

Edit: Just read the article and they must not have qualified. Nevermind.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 12:23:50 AM by MARQ_13 »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2013, 12:22:42 AM »
Funny that not one coach named Indiana.

The questionnaire was given prior to the glorious resurrection of I4.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2013, 12:26:57 AM »

That comment is utter, misinformed nonsense. Just stupid.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2013, 12:38:09 AM »
Stop. Situations and conditions change. Only a fool constrains himself by blindly adhering to previously held beliefs when the conditions and circumstances that formed those beliefs change. The people that Buzz swore allegiance to are no longer at MU. I know you will trot these old quotes out if Buzz leaves for a better job, but most reasonable people will see it for what it is.

I'm pretty certain you agree with my above comments, and are only throwing out these quotes to set up the "Buzz is different" crowd if/when he leaves. Trust me, I sympathize with the impulse, but ultimately it's just petty and annoying.

I'm pretty sure he said it about Marquette and not specific people.  He didn't say as long as Father Wild will have me.  Nevertheless, the grass isn't always greener and if he thinks the MU administration is a ball smasher, he might want to do a little exploration.  

I choose to believe in the man's word and the fact he's making $2.8 million.  Lots of things show me that MU wants Buzz.  Money.  New conference.  He's winning more than ever despite having to clamp down a bit.  New television deal.  Etc.

And if he does go, then MU will hire someone very good.  Whether it's a Shaka Smart or a Gregg Marshall or whomever, the resources are there.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 12:44:26 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2013, 12:49:24 AM »
I'm pretty sure he said it about Marquette and not specific people.  He didn't say as long as Father Wild will have me.  Nevertheless, the grass isn't always greener and if he thinks the MU administration is a ball smasher, he might want to do a little exploration.  

I choose to believe in the man's word and the fact he's making $2.8 million.  Lots of things show me that MU wants Buzz.  Money.  New conference.  He's winning more than ever despite having to clamp down a bit.  New television deal.  Etc.

And if he does go, then MU will hire someone very good.  Whether it's a Shaka Smart or a Gregg Marshall or whomever, the resources are there.
+1000

DaCoach

• Team Captain
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2013, 03:07:33 AM »
With the kind of scratch he will make, his kids would grow up in a very nice environment. 

Buzz is currently the 7th highest paid BB coach in the NCAA. I suspect he'll get a call but I can't see him leaving. If he leaves, everything he's preached the last 5 years will be bullcrap. I spoke to an NBA scout Thursday and he insisted Buzz to Texas was inevitable. I told him the same thing. It's not all about money with Williams. If anyone disagrees, then call him out now instead of waiting until the decision is made. Either he's a man of his word as he proclaims time and again or he's been hustling MU and its players and fans all these years.
Players win awards but teams win championships

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2013, 06:44:59 AM »
I've sent Buzz an email each of the last 3 years congratulating him on a S16.

I've always gotten a response, and the response has always been something about faith and God.

I bring this up because I think Buzz's faith is a very large part of his personality. If he goes to (insert school), he'll have to turn that down/off.

Now, is this definitive proof that he wouldn't go to UCLA? No. Obviously not. But, I wouldn't underestimate Buzz's faith. He's been an assistant a lot of places, so obviously he knows how it works at public schools, but his current approach is perfect for a Catholic school.

Texas still scares me, but I'm not sure if UCLA is a good fit for Buzz or the school. Seems like a square peg in a round hole.

Maybe I'm just being hopeful.  :-[

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2013, 06:57:04 AM »
A lot more to it than that.  All that you say is true, but in the three years prior to this one, 56-45 record, missed NCAA 2 of 3 times, no Sweet 16's, missed on a lot of recruits, many transfers and a bad expose in SI about the problems at UCLA.

It's a what have you done for me lately world.  He was at UCLA for 10 years, longer than any MU coach since Al McGuire.  It is hardly the worst job in college basketball, which is why you are seeing names like Buzz, Stevens, Smart being mentioned.  The right guy wins national titles at UCLA.  The wrong guy, doesn't last forever...that's an attractive proposition for some people wanting a chance to grab the golden chalice, for others they want no part of that pressure.

Like I said, Smart has three years to get to a F4 or he will be shown the door.  A F4 buys you two more years to get a NC or you will be shown the door.

Rent don't buy

feedback