'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: SAGA Food Service  (Read 25260 times)

leever

• All American
Re: SAGA Food Service
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2012, 03:49:08 PM »
There were the 3 Sals: Tom Sallie, John Salamanski, and Sal Balomo

Salmonella?

Mods, Delete me please. 8/26/2020

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2012, 04:34:13 PM »
Can't be worse than in the late 90's.   WTF was a chicken cyber-wrap?  I had to bail on that hot garbage to the Subway across the street so many times I made Jared look like Karen Carepenter.   

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2012, 04:42:20 PM »
Can't be worse than in the late 90's.   WTF was a chicken cyber-wrap?  I had to bail on that hot garbage to the Subway across the street so many times I made Jared look like Karen Carepenter.   

Before Subway there was Suburpia and Cousins. Suburpia, located next to the original Real Chili location, was more of a stoner place and they saturated their subs in an Italian Dressing. Kids used to openly spark doobs inside that place. There was dim lighting and they played ZMF (great legendary station that went went off the air in late 70's) all the time.

Cousins was more mainstream and offered hot subs. Their version of a Philly cheese steak was not up to Geno's standards but it was often a damn sight better choice than the SAGA slop.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2012, 05:10:30 PM »
This last post got me reminiscing about the good ole days, and Milwaukee radio.  Googled Ron Cuzner's name.  Came up with a site that has a library of his shows.  GREAT stuff.

Here's the link....  

http://reader.mac.com/mobile/v1/http%3A%2F%2Fwww.roncuzner.com%2Fdarkside.xml

"Ron Cuzner is my name, and this is the dark side, the dark side of....."

Lots of great memories listening to Ron.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 05:13:23 PM by real chili 83 »

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2012, 06:19:03 PM »
This last post got me reminiscing about the good ole days, and Milwaukee radio.  Googled Ron Cuzner's name.  Came up with a site that has a library of his shows.  GREAT stuff.

Here's the link....  

"Ron Cuzner is my name, and this is the dark side, the dark side of....."

Lots of great memories listening to Ron.

I did the ASMU February Fine Arts Month Programming for two years (under Kris Riley then Dave Sinker.) Each year I brought Cuzner out to talk about Jazz. We would get several hundred people to attend. He was eccentric and surprisingly had a large, devoted following among the MU student body. Many's the night I slaved over diffy q's while Cuzner played in the background.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2012, 08:27:44 PM »
Anyone know the name of the tune Cuzner opened his show with?  I can hum it, but have no clue what the name of it is. 
Ludum habemus.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2012, 08:48:51 PM »
Solitude, performed by Duke Ellington.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2012, 09:18:29 PM »
Check this link, click to about the fifty minute point in the podcast.  You get to hear Ron Cuzner do the news, "or the blues, depending on your perspective".  

He also gives the day's baseball scores.  "baseball, the national pastime".  Pure gold.

Select the broadcast from 9-9-81.  Pure Ron.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 09:22:02 PM by real chili 83 »

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2012, 09:28:04 PM »
Solitude, performed by Duke Ellington.
Daaamn. Thanks. Good memories.
Ludum habemus.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2012, 09:36:47 PM »
Daaamn. Thanks. Good memories.

Ron Cuzner is my name,  and this the dark side, the dark side of......

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2012, 10:48:45 PM »
There were the 3 Sals: Tom Sallie, John Salamanski, and Sal Balomo

There was also the world famous SAGA SALisbury steak. I remember the first time I saw it and wondered how do they call that steak?

RealChiliWarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2012, 11:28:02 PM »
I recall SAGA having the lamest Shepherd's pie consisting of runny mashed potatoes, whole kernel corn, and a sprinkling of ground meat byproduct topping(likely a precursor to pink slime).

We took advantage of the unlimited portions one evening having a floor challenge amongst the East Coast residents versus the Midwest residents over the consumption of pork chops and finished up with a food fight.  Hall Director Jack Lance and the food service manager were not pleased.

When mentioning establishments frequented by stoner's you would have to include the Blue Deli on 16Th.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2012, 03:39:53 AM »
When mentioning establishments frequented by stoner's you would have to include the Blue Deli on 16Th.

Is Wales on Wells still there?

I remember the intrigue surrounding Real Chili losing its lease in the original site. It was replaced by a joint called Chili Gene's. I know Francis let everyone know that Chili Gene was a crook and that if you ate there ever you were not welcome at Real Chili. I think the student body was extremely loyal and there was never anyone at Chili Gene's. Not sure how long it lasted but it was not more than a year, if that.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2012, 07:11:07 AM »
Your forgetting the SAGA favorite of Turkey Tetrazini.  I'm still not quite sure what it is, but I know I ate it.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2012, 07:14:03 AM »
I believe someone mentioning Wales on Wells closed in the mid-Aughts?  I don't recall seeing it open over reunion weekend last summer.  A more recent alum can confirm.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2012, 07:26:22 AM »
I'm not a more recent alum, but yes, Wales is closed.  We at the Lighthouse lived just around the corner and frequented the place a lot.

You always knew you were going to have Monte Cristo sandwiches later in the day when SAGA had french toast for breakfast.  That was nasty....
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2012, 10:23:49 AM »
Before Subway there was Suburpia and Cousins. Suburpia, located next to the original Real Chili location, was more of a stoner place and they saturated their subs in an Italian Dressing. Kids used to openly spark doobs inside that place. There was dim lighting and they played ZMF (great legendary station that went went off the air in late 70's) all the time.

Nice
Bring back FFP!!!

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2012, 11:41:47 AM »
Suburpia is back.  They got one by the airport on Layton and Howell in a gas station.  Go there at least once a week for dinner during my work hours.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2012, 01:02:13 PM »

Cousins was more mainstream and offered hot subs. Their version of a Philly cheese steak was not up to Geno's standards but it was often a damn sight better choice than the SAGA slop.
I preferred Suburpia to Cousins. At Cousins, if you didn't ask for only a half jar of mayo or less, you'd get a whole jar on your sandwich.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2012, 02:15:42 PM »

I worked at Suburpias during 1978-80, cool business to work for, case in point: it was a company policy that WZMF had to be played over the PA (if that location could receive the weak signal that was ZMF. I'm from the Falls and have the last 24 hours of ZMF on cd (my brother recorded it).

The owner was a really creepy stoner tho', he also owned the Tyrolean Townhouse on HWY 100 so we had our X-Mas parties there with bands like Bad Boy playing for us.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2012, 02:25:34 PM »
I worked at Suburpias during 1978-80, cool business to work for, case in point: it was a company policy that WZMF had to be played over the PA (if that location could receive the weak signal that was ZMF. I'm from the Falls and have the last 24 hours of ZMF on cd (my brother recorded it).

The owner was a really creepy stoner tho', he also owned the Tyrolean Townhouse on HWY 100 so we had our X-Mas parties there with bands like Bad Boy playing for us.

The last song played on ZMF was the national anthem by Hendrix. Priceless.

I remember waking up and turning on the Sansui. ZMF would be blasting Led Zepplin at 7 am.

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2012, 12:05:20 AM »
Didn't Walter Downing play the national anthem for senior day on his bass guitar?
 I know that he didn't eat the same SAGA food at McCormick as us after practice. He always seemed like a nice guy and hope he is doing well.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2012, 05:11:06 AM »
IThe owner was a really creepy stoner tho', he also owned the Tyrolean Townhouse on HWY 100 so we had our X-Mas parties there with bands like Bad Boy playing for us.

This is weird. We had Sr Gisela Benda as a prof and she asked us to plan an end of semester party. The dudes chose the Tyrolean House. She told the organizers that this venue was "full of low brow trash and not in any way realted to a German society language arts club.!" Needless to say, our Cougar redemption rate also grew out of control,

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2012, 09:00:23 PM »
Suburpia is back.  They got one by the airport on Layton and Howell in a gas station.  Go there at least once a week for dinner during my work hours.

There was a great custard stand called Al's on Layton near the airport. They had a buttered beef burger that put Mazos' to shame. Is Al's still there?

Jim Sawdust

• Walk-On
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2012, 09:01:59 AM »
Negative on Al's. He divorced, and the ex ran it (down) as Jessica's. After a new owner's plans to reopen the place were announced, the building was demolished, and replaced with a concrete-block box. The first occupant was an Italian takeout business that had terrific pans of lasagna. Later users included a limo service and a car detailing place, the latter of which may still be there.

Just a block and a building to the east is the wonderful Nite Owl. A few more steps take you to the Packing House. Tonight's menu choices will be from the Bangkok House, a few more blocks east of the airport. We've come a way from the steam tables.

feedback