collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Best Burger you ever ate  (Read 45917 times)

smrunner99

• Starter
Re: Best Burger you ever ate
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2012, 01:37:08 PM »
I live across the street from Baileys range.  They have a very good selection and it rotates throughout the year.  The place has a very nice selection of local Missouri beers and I can get Sprecher root beer there too.  

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2012, 04:18:10 PM »
I live across the street from Baileys range.  They have a very good selection and it rotates throughout the year.  The place has a very nice selection of local Missouri beers and I can get Sprecher root beer there too.  

My daughter thought she had died and gone to heaven when she was handed a menu with a variety of root beers to choose from.  She settled on one called Virgil's, and she loved it.  I have no idea if it was good or not, but she enjoyed it.

I had never really spent much time in STL before that weekend.  Very nice city.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2012, 06:45:14 PM »
Anybody in Chicago should try Bad Apple on Lincoln in Lincoln Square. Great burger selections (haven't had a bad one yet) and an impressive beer list to get lost in. Not sure it ranks as the best, but damn tasty.

Just as good as Kuma's (I think) w/o the wait and w/o the attitude.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2012, 07:19:32 PM »
From a chain, my favorite sandwich (not burger) is Red Robin's California Chicken sandwich with a slice of Pineapple added.    

I'm happy to not be the only Red Robin fan out there. Sure there are better burgers in the world (iron horse hotel's is really good) but Red Robin does a fantastic job in my opinion. Although their fries are lousy.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 07:22:48 PM by Marquette_g »

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2012, 07:24:26 PM »
I would also like to say Owen & Engine's burger is pretty tasty in Chicago...just really damn expensive!
But I like to throw handfuls...

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2012, 07:40:44 PM »
I'm happy to not be the only Red Robin fan out there. Sure there are better burgers in the world (iron horse hotel's is really good) but Red Robin does a fantastic job in my opinion. Although their fries are lousy.

Definitely not the only one. I love their blue cheese burger -- but don't remember what they call it.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2012, 08:46:34 PM »
In and Out burger rules! - at least for a chain...

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2012, 07:43:25 AM »
In and Out burger rules! - at least for a chain...

For a chain, Culver's butterburger gets my vote....plus you get frozen custard for dessert!
Have some patience, FFS.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2012, 08:16:58 AM »
once upon a time I spent a few weeks in the DFW area and I swear we practically lived on double Whattaburgers w/cheese

I haven't had one in the 30 years since then and wonder if they were really any good (I didn't have much to compare them to at the time)

are they any good/still in business?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2012, 08:48:20 AM »
So glad, and amazed, that AJ Bombers hasn't been mentioned yet.

Agreed. Bombers is okay, but they are completely living off beating Sobelman's in Food Wars. Honestly, my favorite part of their bar is chucking peanut shells on the floor. I feel the same way about Kopp's. So many people love it, I just don't think it's all that great. Their burgers are usually a bit overcooked and the meat itself doesn't really have any notable flavor.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2012, 09:08:27 AM »
Kopps would be much better if they changed that d@mn bun!

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2012, 09:50:17 AM »
Kopps would be much better if they changed that d@mn bun!

Kopps burgers are over rated. The frozen custard is pretty good.

One name I have not seen pop up on this thread is AJ Bombers. Personally, I've never been (RIP The Corner). Has Bombers been able to maintain their hype?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 11:25:18 AM by Blue Horseshoe »

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2012, 10:04:21 AM »
AJ Bombers has been mentioned a few times here (last one just 2 posts before yours)

Texas Warrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2012, 08:44:05 AM »
once upon a time I spent a few weeks in the DFW area and I swear we practically lived on double Whattaburgers w/cheese

I haven't had one in the 30 years since then and wonder if they were really any good (I didn't have much to compare them to at the time)

are they any good/still in business?

Yes.  Whattaburgers are alive and well throughout the DFW Metroplex.  They have new competition though.....In & Out Burgers have entered the DFW market with multiple locations.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2012, 11:37:43 AM »
So glad, and amazed, that AJ Bombers hasn't been mentioned yet.

-think we're all trying to bite our tongues and avoid a bombers/sobels gang way to break out here.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2012, 02:42:22 PM »
Anybody in Chicago should try Bad Apple on Lincoln in Lincoln Square. Great burger selections (haven't had a bad one yet) and an impressive beer list to get lost in. Not sure it ranks as the best, but damn tasty.

Was goign to post this. IMHO, Bad Apple is the best. The Big Texan is amazing (burger, pulled pork, pepperjack cheese, barbeque sauce on texas toast). Also, they flavors for their fries are great.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2012, 02:43:52 PM »
Also glad Sobelman's has not been anyone's best list. Its good, I appreciate the Marquette love in their original location and them saving the Angelo's location, but their burgers are above-average, nothing more.

EDIT: Same goes for Bomber's. Both of these places are good, but completely overrated.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2012, 02:53:01 PM »
In Chicago at Fireplace Inn (in Oldtown) their BBQ burger is amazing, burger with pulled pork, bacon, onion ring, and bbq sauce.
Bring back FFP!!!

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2012, 03:09:41 PM »
I have to go Juicy Lucy from 5-8 club in Minneapolis

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2012, 01:36:35 PM »
Louis' Lunch in New Haven, CT.  Freshly made every day and they cook the burger's vertically in what looks like those old toasters.  They serve between two pieces of white toast because anything else detracts from the burger.  Very delicious hamburgers.  It's the birthplace of the hamburger and while that is disputed, they definitely have been continuously since 1900 serving them longer than anyplace else in existance.  And never ask for ketchup of french fries as they don't offer either as they also distract from the burger. 

http://www.louislunch.com/

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2012, 02:08:38 PM »
Louis' Lunch in New Haven, CT.  Freshly made every day and they cook the burger's vertically in what looks like those old toasters.  They serve between two pieces of white toast because anything else detracts from the burger.  Very delicious hamburgers.  It's the birthplace of the hamburger and while that is disputed, they definitely have been continuously since 1900 serving them longer than anyplace else in existance.  And never ask for ketchup of french fries as they don't offer either as they also distract from the burger. 

http://www.louislunch.com/

blasphemy I say!  ;)

Everyone in WI knows it's from WI!

The Seymour Community Historical Society of Seymour, Wisconsin, credits Charlie Nagreen, now known as "Hamburger Charlie", with the invention of the hamburger. Nagreen was fifteen when he reportedly made sandwiches out of meatballs that he was selling at the 1885 Seymour Fair (now the Outagamie County Fair), so that customers could eat while walking. The Historical Society explains that Nagreen named the hamburger after the Hamburg steak with which local German immigrants were familiar.
   ;D

Danny Noonan

• Starter
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2012, 02:13:19 PM »
The best burger I ever ate was the cheddar burger at Paradise Pup in Des Plaines, IL. You know its good when there can be a line up to 25 to 50 deep waiting to get in.

Poochies in Skokie, IL is a close second as the cheddar burger is outstanding and the fresh cut fries complete the meal.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2012, 02:19:41 PM »
blasphemy I say!  ;)

Everyone in WI knows it's from WI!
   ;D

I have read that before.  That's why I said disputed.  And technically that's not a hamburger, it's at best a smushed meatball sandwich or what we'd call out here a meatball grinder.  Neither of which is a hamburger.  And "Hamburger Charlie" isn't in business any more either is he?

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2012, 02:33:42 PM »
After a couple of pitchers at Murph's, a $3.00 cheeseburger and fries from Marquette Gyros at times was the best food in the world.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2012, 03:06:00 PM »
Poochies in Skokie, IL is a close second as the cheddar burger is outstanding and the fresh cut fries complete the meal.

Cheddar burger in Skokie??? I thought no one there could eat meat and milk together...