[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: worse NCAA performance...  (Read 5155 times)

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
Re: worse NCAA performance...
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2012, 12:29:18 AM »
yeah i totally agree with you on that one.           For me it has everything to do with blowing the platter of a bracket we had set before us for the taking.  

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2012, 12:29:51 AM »
Did you watch the game? Last year it was over by the 8 minute timeout: this year we just didn't make shots. We Played poorly in both games but there is a difference between competing and being flat out scared tO step on the floor... Jae and DJO didn't play like we all expected, but you didn't sense the fear like you did last year
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

JerryWizig

• Walk-On
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2012, 01:07:20 AM »
Worst NCAA loss? Not even close. Most frustrating? Perhaps, just because of the in-and-out shots and the fact the No. 1 seed was knocked out.

But don't forget that Florida was a top 10 team the first two months of the season. They were underseeded a little bit. Marquette was the better team, but it's not like they lost to a team that doesn't belong here.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2012, 05:16:03 AM »
I agree with the posters that say this one stings worse. It stings far worse. This was the year. With this much talent, and a VERY favorable path to the Final Four, you could not have scripted it any better. It will take me a lot longer to get over this one than any other NCAA loss since the FF game in 2003. Just another blown opportunity on the big stage. That's becoming the norm, rather than the exception for MU.

The Sweet 16, is no special accomplishment IMO, at least in terms of this year. When you have the most talented teams since the Amigos Senior year, and to put it in perspective, UW with their least talented team in the Bo era, makes it just as far....it's an "empty" season.

VERY VERY tough to swallow. I guess this is about the best we can ever hope for being MU fans.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2012, 05:23:22 AM »
Not even close.   MU got the shots it wanted and missed them.    MU wasn't overwhelmed, wasn't rolled.   Shots that fell all year rattled out last night.    It sucked, but if a couple of the really good looks that MU got early in the second half go in.....
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2012, 06:50:40 AM »
Not even close.   MU got the shots it wanted and missed them.    MU wasn't overwhelmed, wasn't rolled.   Shots that fell all year rattled out last night.    It sucked, but if a couple of the really good looks that MU got early in the second half go in.....

Yes, they missed a lot of shots, but that had to do with them "not being us". They kept settling for jumpshots instead of going inside view the pass or the drive. Giving themselves a higher percentage shot. They played stupidly, and paid the ultimate price. I expected more out of a team led by two 1st team all BE seniors. Where was their leadership last night??
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2012, 07:22:59 AM »
On the bench with foul trouble.   The game turned when Crowder and then (and especially) Cadougan got into foul trouble.   Once they both went to the bench, the line up of Wilson, Gardner, Blue, Mayo, and DJO stopped moving, themselves and the ball.    The beautiful offensive rhythm we had seen so much of the year never really returned. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2012, 07:41:22 AM »
Last year we were tied 10 minutes into the game and were down 14 with 4:20 to go,  This year we were down 13 with 4 minutes to go.  I think the biggest difference between the two games was the quality and level of play of the opposiiton.  I don't think we were scared last year.  I think we were severely outmanned.  Grit and determination can only take you so far, especially when you don't play well.  And we didn't play well on either occasion.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2012, 07:43:47 AM »
Florida didn't exactly shoot well either.  On the arena floor, we're the site lines to the basket obstructed in some way?

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2012, 07:48:25 AM »
On the bench with foul trouble.   The game turned when Crowder and then (and especially) Cadougan got into foul trouble.   Once they both went to the bench, the line up of Wilson, Gardner, Blue, Mayo, and DJO stopped moving, themselves and the ball.    The beautiful offensive rhythm we had seen so much of the year never really returned. 
Yep.  Ball movement was a staple in the offense, especially when successful.  Yesterday it became stagnant.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2012, 07:51:16 AM »
But don't forget that Florida was a top 10 team the first two months of the season. They were underseeded a little bit. Marquette was the better team, but it's not like they lost to a team that doesn't belong here.

I think too many forget that Jerry.  Florida is a good team that could've been a much better seed than a 7.   NC is definitely a worse loss last year....as is any loss we've had to Wisconsin and ND.

Just sayin....
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2012, 08:46:54 AM »
Guru,

Florida is a FAR more talented team top to bottom than Marquette.  Hate to say it, but clear as day watching that game last night. 

mu_eyeballs

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2012, 08:47:20 AM »
Did you watch the MSU game in 2007?

This for my money was the crappiest game in the NCAA...there have been other losses that have stung more...but this game I was just embarrassed for the team.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2012, 10:36:28 AM »
I was stuck in Mexico at our office during that game and was following it on ESPN GameCast.  I DVR'd the game but deleted it without watching because it seemed like it had to be the most depressing sports-related thing to watch imaginable.  So I didn't watch that one.

The difference is that you knew that team was going to continue to improve for 2 more years where as next year is more iffy.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2012, 03:35:08 PM »
I'm going to agree with the posters who say that this one stings worse than last year, and that's because it felt like we could have won, and last year didn't have that feeling at all.
I still don't think I'll remember this one like I remember the Stanford game though.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2012, 07:44:48 PM »

Michigan St was atrocious. We were much worse. As bad an NCAA game as I can ever remember seeing.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2012, 08:22:24 PM »
Kansas.

Final Four. Three NBAers in Wade, Diener, and Novak. And they JUST. GET. RUN.

In front of Alumni viewing parties worldwide.

Embarassing that I couldn't even say, "Hey, we still have one more half." The viewing party just sucked and there was an emptiness at Palo Alto's Old Pro. I felt bad I brought a buddy along to "party"; I ended up apologizing to him for bringing him along because of their performance. Kansas was just clicking...
And Crean kept clapping...

But other than that one, the 1996 Providence loss.
http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/pc_3_14_97

It was pathetic.

"Austin Croshere nearly became the first player in NCAA history to go 16-16 from the foul line in Providence's thrashing of Marquette on March 14th. Instead he had to settle for 15-15, still tops all-time for an MU opponent."
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 08:26:56 PM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2012, 08:29:25 PM »
Kansas.

Final Four. Three NBAers in Wade, Diener, and Novak. And they JUST. GET. RUN.

In front of Alumni viewing parties worldwide.

Embarassing that I couldn't even say, "Hey, we still have one more half." The viewing party just sucked and there was an emptiness at Palo Alto's Old Pro. I felt bad I brought a buddy along to "party"; I ended up apologizing to him for bringing him along because of their performance. Kansas was just clicking...
And Crean kept clapping...

But other than that one, the 1996 Providence loss.
http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/pc_3_14_97

It was pathetic.

"Austin Croshere nearly became the first player in NCAA history to go 16-16 from the foul line in Providence's thrashing of Marquette on March 14th. Instead he had to settle for 15-15, still tops all-time for an MU opponent."

I can't go with kansas because I got so damn drunk at Caffery's that I don't remember much anything from that game.

Other than the scat running down I4's legs.

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2012, 10:57:11 PM »
I can't go with kansas because I got so damn drunk at Caffery's that I don't remember much anything from that game.

Other than the scat running down I4's legs.

Watching the IU-UK game? There was scat in the first half. And I guar-a-damn-tee it, it's coming again.
SS Marquette

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2012, 11:08:07 AM »
All things considered. I have to go with the 2003 Final Four loss as the worst NCAA game for MU ever.

The MSU debacle may have been the worst played, but in truth our ceiling for that tournament was 1 win, so did it really hurt that much?

The blow out to UNC last year was awful, but only because we weren't competitive.  I had no expectations of winning that game, so while it was not enjoyable to watch after the first 10 minutes or so, it wasn't a disaster.

I think Thursday night was second, because we had a great chance to go to the Final Four.  But you know what?  We had no real chance of winning once we got there, as Kentucky would beat us roughly 999 times out of 1000.

So 2003 was the worst.  We were loaded.  We had three future NBAers in Wade (probably one of the 20-30 best players EVER), Diener and Novak.  We had a great low post presence in Robert Jackson.  I know you're not all fans, but Scott Merritt was a great 4th/5th option guy, a 6-10 legit power forward who was brilliant every so often.  We had just blown out the number 1 team in the nation that was on a 20+ game winning streak.  The national title was a real possibility.  And then to just lay an absolute egg on that stage was brutal.  All things considered, that has to be the worst.

Thinking about this, we've had lots of tough losses (Duke, Arkansas, Providence, Alabama, Stanford, Missouri all come to mind) but I guess most of the time when you lose in the NCAA tournament it is a tough loss.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2012, 11:17:14 AM »
Honorable mention, Stanford from a few years ago.

That was a friggin' nut punch if I ever felt one.

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2012, 01:54:32 PM »
Honorable mention, Stanford from a few years ago.

That was a friggin' nut punch if I ever felt one.

I was there. Sitting in the back lower seats.

It felt like Brook actually punched me in the nuts.
SS Marquette

MU82

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2012, 06:16:51 PM »
Oh, you silly youngsters.

In 1978, with a better team than the one that won the NCAA title the previous year -- a team full of future high draft picks, including the national college player of the year -- we lost our first NCAA game to Miami of Ohio.

That was before seeding, but believe me it was the equivalent of Duke losing to Lehigh. Only worse, because we were defending champs and had a GREAT team.

Kansas in 03 was up there (or down there), too, because we had an excellent team and we had just beaten 3 outstanding teams back-to-back-to-back (Mizzou, Pitt, Kentucky), each more impressively than the one before. Then to get to New Orleans and never be in the game ... ugh.

But really. One of the best teams in the nation and defending national champs lost to a MAC team that had gone 19-9 during the season.

Please.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2012, 06:55:26 PM »
western michigan
one year after final four
incredible shame

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2012, 07:05:01 PM »
Oh, you silly youngsters.

In 1978, with a better team than the one that won the NCAA title the previous year -- a team full of future high draft picks, including the national college player of the year -- we lost our first NCAA game to Miami of Ohio.

That was before seeding, but believe me it was the equivalent of Duke losing to Lehigh. Only worse, because we were defending champs and had a GREAT team.

Kansas in 03 was up there (or down there), too, because we had an excellent team and we had just beaten 3 outstanding teams back-to-back-to-back (Mizzou, Pitt, Kentucky), each more impressively than the one before. Then to get to New Orleans and never be in the game ... ugh.

But really. One of the best teams in the nation and defending national champs lost to a MAC team that had gone 19-9 during the season.

Please.

Or how about 1971. 28-0, #1 or #2 in the country only to lose a Sweet 16 game to Ohio State. Much, much more disappointing than this year's loss - not even close. That team was a prohibitive favorite to get to the final game.