[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PointWarrior
[Today at 12:57:23 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by PointWarrior
[April 30, 2024, 11:37:53 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Katz on DJ  (Read 4851 times)

MarquetteVol

• Team Captain
Katz on DJ
« on: June 04, 2007, 04:09:39 PM »
This is from Katz's chat this afternoon:

Scott (Saint Louis, MO): Please tell me Dominique James is returning to Marquette?

SportsNation Andy Katz: I wish I could say for sure. James wants to stay in the draft. After talking with him in Orlando he seemed like he wanted to be in the NBA and was going to do everything in his power during workouts this week to stay in the draft. We'll have to see.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
Re: Katz on DJ
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 04:27:32 PM »
Honestly....who is advising DJ?!  Almost everything you read says he needs to come back, he's underperforming in the camp, that he's slipped to late second round (at best) etc....yet, everything he says is that he's going to do whatever it takes to stay in the draft?!

I wish nothing but the best for him but it just doesn't seem like he's ready from several accounts....somebody needs to tell him as much.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 05:41:03 PM »
Honestly....who is advising DJ?!  Almost everything you read says he needs to come back, he's underperforming in the camp, that he's slipped to late second round (at best) etc....yet, everything he says is that he's going to do whatever it takes to stay in the draft?!

What's the big deal?    Should he quit pursuing his dream now, with time left on the clock?  Hell no.  I doubt any 'advisor' would encourage him to walk away now either.

He declared his intention to explore this, and has until June 18 to keep working at it - - he's treating it as 'all-in' right now, going for it as hard as he can.  That's exactly what he should do during this window of opportunity......there's no sense in wasting this chance to meet with and work out for a host of NBA teams.  At the end of this process, he can decide - - but why decide to quit in the middle of it?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 06:19:39 PM »

What's the big deal?    Should he quit pursuing his dream now, with time left on the clock?  Hell no.  I doubt any 'advisor' would encourage him to walk away now either.

He declared his intention to explore this, and has until June 18 to keep working at it - - he's treating it as 'all-in' right now, going for it as hard as he can.  That's exactly what he should do during this window of opportunity......there's no sense in wasting this chance to meet with and work out for a host of NBA teams.  At the end of this process, he can decide - - but why decide to quit in the middle of it?

I'm starting to think that is what is going on here... he is going to keep saying he is all in and give it his all until the 18th.

On the 17th, if he's not guaranteed a 2nd round spot, he will talk with his advisors and decide if he should stay in or pull out.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 06:40:37 AM »
Yeah,
As much as I'd like to have him stay at MU I think you send the wrong signals if you say anything less than I'm 100% committed to being drafted, especially for a guy who's dangerously riding the fence of not being drafted.  GMs are almost looking for a reason to pass on him and if he said he's leaning towards returning to college then he'll basically slam the door on his draft chances.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 07:39:23 AM »
muarmy----good post as you are 100% correct----either one is 100% committed or not----definite negative.

However for positives-----check out Draft Digest as DJ was the #3 ranked player out of 80 at Orlando in measurable physicals------actually was the fastest player there as he ran the 3/4 court sprint in 3.11 seconds----best time among ALL 80 contestents!

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 07:46:02 AM »
I'm not sure I understand the concept that being "100% in" matters one bit.

Is some NBA GM going to say "gosh, we really could use James' skill on our team.  Too bad he's keeping his options open for going back to school, otherwise we'd totally draft him."?   No.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 07:53:46 AM »

Is some NBA GM going to say "gosh, we really could use James' skill on our team.  Too bad he's keeping his options open for going back to school, otherwise we'd totally draft him."?   No.

Well, I just think a team might be more likely to take a chance on him if they know he is going to stay and go to the D-league for that team.

A team might take a chance on him in the second round because they think he can develop in the d-league and then help their team in a year or 2.

If they think he will go back to school, then there is no point in drafting him in the second round, and therefore no reason to even scout him.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 07:58:47 AM »
Well, I just think a team might be more likely to take a chance on him if they know he is going to stay and go to the D-league for that team.

A team might take a chance on him in the second round because they think he can develop in the d-league and then help their team in a year or 2.

In a more perfect world, yes.......but the thing is, the D-League is not a true 'farm system' that is owned, staffed and managed by the parent club.  Per the Magic, this is one reason why Diener was not sent toe the DLeague - - because the parent club was not sure he'd develop in that environment.  for the most part, the d-league seems to be the place where guys are playing for 10-day contracts rather than developing skills that fit the parent club's system ala the MLB model

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 08:46:50 AM »
.. And .. do NBA teams draft 2nd rounders specifically for their D-League?   (I dunno, but I'd think not.)

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 09:08:59 AM »

But see,
that's the game that's being played.  How many GMs, in NBA or any professional league, show their cards before they need to?  You never know who covets who and nobody gives out that type of information because it lets other prey on that weakness.  If you let everyone know you're interested in player x or y then teams above you in the draft may take them just to use as trade bait or something.  That being said do you think some GM is going to go out and tell DJ that they'll draft him?  Probably not because they don't want to show their hand but when it pertains to somebody like DJ who isn't necessarily a lock to get drafted I think, with the risk involved in drafting a 5'10" PG who hasn't demonstrated he can shoot consistently, GMs have to be completed sure if they pull the trigger to take him and that includes being sure that he's committed to this thing...

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 09:25:09 AM »

Is some NBA GM going to say "gosh, we really could use James' skill on our team.  Too bad he's keeping his options open for going back to school, otherwise we'd totally draft him."? 

Yes. Given where he is, if they're convinced he isn't going to be there on draft day, they aren't going to take the time to seriously look at him during this period. If teams aren't seriously looking at him, he can't show what he can do, craete demand, etc. 

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 09:37:40 AM »
Yes. Given where he is, if they're convinced he isn't going to be there on draft day, they aren't going to take the time to seriously look at him during this period. If teams aren't seriously looking at him, he can't show what he can do, craete demand, etc. 

DJ is working out for the Knicks, Nets and Rockets.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2007, 10:34:13 AM »

Is some NBA GM going to say "gosh, we really could use James' skill on our team.  Too bad he's keeping his options open for going back to school, otherwise we'd totally draft him."? 

Sorry, I doubt that.  It's chicken and egg.  Clearly, underclassmen who have declared, like DJ, want to be drafted and play on an NBA team, even if it was league minimum, as that's $400k more than they are earning now.  Teams that "seriously look" and indicate a desire for his services would steer him into staying past June 18th.  -- And it's not like DJ is some super duper talent, whereby a team, who expressed a lot of interest, would be crushed if DJ stayed at MU.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2007, 10:52:05 AM »
Same reason guys hire agents. Obviously they take on teh job of pimping teh player, but also if you don't hire one, teams question how serious you are about being there on darft day and may focus their efforts elsewhere.
I do agree it is very much a chicken and egg thing though.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2007, 11:42:49 AM »

In a more perfect world, yes.......but the thing is, the D-League is not a true 'farm system' that is owned, staffed and managed by the parent club.  Per the Magic, this is one reason why Diener was not sent toe the DLeague - - because the parent club was not sure he'd develop in that environment.  for the most part, the d-league seems to be the place where guys are playing for 10-day contracts rather than developing skills that fit the parent club's system ala the MLB model

I hear ya, but I think the only reason that a team would take a chance on him in the second round this year is because they think they may be getting a "first round value" by putting him in the d-league for a couple of years and then bring him to the big club.

DJ is an awesome athlete who needs to refining to his game to be effective. A team might draft him thinking that they can develop him in the next 18months and end up with a good player.

I guess I'm not a GM, but I imagine the reason he would be drafted is based upon potential rather than performance... which means teams will use all of the development tools they have (up and including the d-league if necessary) to develop James.

Anyways, I'm just saying that DJ is going to say he is all in until the night before the draft... there is no reason for him to waiver... it doesn't do him any good.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2007, 12:01:33 PM »
Here's an interesting read about Boobie Gibson -- even more interesting in light of Gibson's recent performance in the ECF.  It has been widely rumored (although not admitted, I don't think) that the Cavaliers gave Gibson a guarantee.  I've got to think that James is well aware of what has happened with Gibson, and I suspect he is trying to copy it to some extent.

On another topic: if anyone has game 5 of the Cavaliers/Pistons series on dvd, I'd be more than happy to pay for the dvd, shipping and something reasonable for your trouble.  Please send me a message.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2007, 12:06:35 PM »
Holding open the option of pulling back without an agent can mean a lack of confidence in one's self ability to make it. If I'm a GM I want people who are 100% confident from day 1 that THEY think they have the wearwithall to measure up!

Very important !

4everwarriors

• All American
If DJ Could Shoot...
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2007, 07:30:13 PM »
like Gibson, he'd deserve a guarantee also.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

herboturbo

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2007, 04:42:18 AM »

DJ is working out for the Knicks, Nets and Rockets.

With Dominic working out for the Knicks and Isaiah's well known ability to suck at running a team this article might indicate that James may be getting that 1st round gaurantee he's been looking for.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/46376/20070605/isiah_says_hne_plans_to_gamble_on_draft_night/
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2007, 03:58:34 PM »
The Knicks already have Francis, Crawford, Marbury and that midget Nate Robinson targeted to make a guaranteed $40 million, so DJ would have no shot at making that roster, even if Isiah is a buffoon.

feedback