Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jealousy and Insecurity...  (Read 5746 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
Jealousy and Insecurity...
« on: March 21, 2012, 09:28:23 AM »
Would be the 2 reasons for the recent hack job the Milwaukee media has chosen to unload the week of MU's Sweet 16 game (much like last year's timing of the "incidents.")  Sadly, MKE is 95% UW Badger country, as is the rest of Wisconsin.  So...when MU players are out in public, they are surrounded by largely Badger fans - who we all know can be an absolutely insufferable bunch.  I have NO idea as to the story about DJO leaving someone in bad shape - but it would not surprise in the least if some beer muscle, MKE Badger townie, talked all kinds of sh$t and got what he earned.

This whole thing smells of MU having a bullseye on its back...I suspect some jealous/insecure WI fan called the cops to the club to report MU players being present at the club.  No doubt the MKE police force is comprised of more native Milwaukeeans (and likely Badger backers) than MU grads. 

At the end of the day, Badger Nation is absolutely fearful of what Buzz is building at MU, and are doing anything and everything they can to undermine his success...due to their own insecurity and jealousy.  SAD...as if UW athletes are never in bars, get into fights, etc.  Booker Stanley anyone?  Sam Okey?  Jack Ikewongku? How many thefts have UW athletes been involved in?
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

LAZER

• All American
Re: Jealousy and Insecurity...
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 09:31:50 AM »
I think you're really worrying too much about the attempt of "Badger Country" to cut down Marquette.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 09:37:41 AM »
Just keep winning and keep our things in our pants. That's all Marquette needs to do. This bar thing is a non-issue. Badger fans will make noise about the character and background of our "diverse" players, but that is all it is, noise.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 09:38:58 AM »
Would be the 2 reasons for the recent hack job the Milwaukee media has chosen to unload the week of MU's Sweet 16 game (much like last year's timing of the "incidents.")  Sadly, MKE is 95% UW Badger country, as is the rest of Wisconsin.  So...when MU players are out in public, they are surrounded by largely Badger fans - who we all know can be an absolutely insufferable bunch.  I have NO idea as to the story about DJO leaving someone in bad shape - but it would not surprise in the least if some beer muscle, MKE Badger townie, talked all kinds of sh$t and got what he earned.

This whole thing smells of MU having a bullseye on its back...I suspect some jealous/insecure WI fan called the cops to the club to report MU players being present at the club.  No doubt the MKE police force is comprised of more native Milwaukeeans (and likely Badger backers) than MU grads. 

At the end of the day, Badger Nation is absolutely fearful of what Buzz is building at MU, and are doing anything and everything they can to undermine his success...due to their own insecurity and jealousy.  SAD...as if UW athletes are never in bars, get into fights, etc.  Booker Stanley anyone?  Sam Okey?  Jack Ikewongku? How many thefts have UW athletes been involved in?

Disagree. MU does have a bullseye on its back, but we put it there by having a great basketball season and a couple of minor off the court incidents. Its what happens. Get somet thicker skin.

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 09:41:15 AM »
Regardless, the guys have to do a better job of avoiding these situations.  I don't think the extent of the media scrutiny is fair (I didn't have a problem with Walker's article, but if a station is leading off their news with this, that's kinda crazy), but that's life.  Hopefully things like this stop happening, as they can become a distraction prior to the biggest game of the season thus far.  I'm sure Buzz and the players would be much happier fielding questions about Florida than why they were at a club.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 09:41:19 AM »
Conspiracy theories! Get yer conspiracy theories here! Six bucks apiece or two for 10 dollars!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 09:44:31 AM »
This, my friends, is what is called a "positive feedback loop."

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 09:48:51 AM »
Conspiracy theories! Get yer conspiracy theories here! Six bucks apiece or two for 10 dollars!

I'm thinking that since Chicos has been banned he's used his time to build up a network of agents in the Milwaukee area.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 09:54:57 AM »
A majority of people in Wisconsin don't like Marquette and enjoy cheering against Marquette. If MU is in the news for something negative, there are quite a few people who can't get enough of it. When UW is in the news for something negative, Badger fans don't want to hear it (much like posters on this board have a tendency to make excuses for MU). The news outlets obviously know that, which is why negative MU news is a bigger story than negative UW news.

Honest question: Was the Chadima stuff ever the top story on the nightly news? It wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't even though it's an infinitely more serious charge than some 20-year-olds being in a bar.

Basically, I don't think that the JS or any of the Milwaukee news stations have an "agenda" against Marquette. They do, however, know their audience. That's not a conspiracy. That's good business sense.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 09:57:14 AM »
Reads thread
/digs up burned and torn up MU diploma
/pisses all over it
/reburies

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 10:01:42 AM »
There isn't a 'conspiracy'.    There is young men behaving like young men always have.    There are civil penalties because they got caught.    There is maximum interest and exposure.    This is far less troubling to me than last year's incidents.    The local media does what local media does.   They play it for maximum effect to garner the highest ratings.    No conspiracy.    Just the nature of kids and the nature of local media.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 10:05:42 AM »
A majority of people in Wisconsin don't like Marquette and enjoy cheering against Marquette.

The vast majority of people in Wisconsin are completely indifferent toward Marquette. 

The "us against the world" victimization of our fanbase is really a sad thing to behold.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 10:07:34 AM »
Disagree. MU does have a bullseye on its back, but we put it there by having a great basketball season and a couple of minor off the court incidents. Its what happens. Get somet thicker skin.

So this is the first year Marquette players have hung out in a bar (yet weren't even cited for underage drinking), and a separate blog needs to be written about 22 year old DJO being present at the bar too?  Have MU players ever gotten in a scuffle in the past?  Did it take Journal Sentinel roughly 2 months to report on the "incident" and conveniently run such a story 2 days before MU plays in a Sweet 16 game....much like what happened last year?

I do agree that college kids/athletes going to bars and getting into an occasional alteration is "what happens."  Is it press worthy, lead story worthy on 6pm news?  Please.  But sorry, I'll see if I can acquire a thicker skin.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 10:09:21 AM »

The vast majority of people in Wisconsin are completely indifferent toward Marquette.  

The "us against the world" victimization of our fanbase is really a sad thing to behold.

Perhaps it's just the Badger fans that I know and work with who revel in any and all bad things related to MU, but there sure seems to be a lot of MU hate out there.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 10:11:59 AM »

So the vast majority of people in Wisconsin are not UW basketball fans?  Should be interesting to see what the UW Sweet 16 game TV ratings are in MKE area.  It's a growing rivalry each and every year..UW vs MU in hoops...to suggest the vast majority of people in WI are completely indifferent toward Marquette (basketball) seems naive.  Do we really think WI basketball fans enjoy losing to MU at the Kohl?  Or 2 of the past 3 years...and seeing Buzz reel in a lot of nationally regarded recruits?

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 10:18:58 AM »
College sports fans are the worst human beings on earth. Why don't we all throw logic and accountability out the window.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 10:19:09 AM »
You are being too myopic.  The vast majority of people in Wisconsin root for UW basketball, but not to the extent that they hate Marquette and wish the University ill-will.  I bet 95% of the state has no idea who JP Tokoto, Sam Dekker, or Duane Wilson even are, much less the recruiting battles that we talk about on this board.

The fact is, this was a legitimate story to report on.  The timing made sense given when MPD disclosed this information.

Montana Warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 10:24:30 AM »
Let me give a perspective of one living far from WI.  The only people who care about the Badgers are people from Wisconsin or who have personal ties to Wisconsin.  Marquette is a national program and has a far wider sphere of fan support.  Marquette has very supportive fan bases in Chicago, New York, L.A., and yes, here in Montana.  Regarding the new "scandal", there are only two kinds of college students.  Ones that party and don't get busted, and ones that party and end up busted.  Give me a break, what waste of time!  

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2012, 10:25:59 AM »
You are being too myopic.  The vast majority of people in Wisconsin root for UW basketball, but not to the extent that they hate Marquette and wish the University ill-will.  I bet 95% of the state has no idea who JP Tokoto, Sam Dekker, or Duane Wilson even are, much less the recruiting battles that we talk about on this board.

The fact is, this was a legitimate story to report on.  The timing made sense given when MPD disclosed this information.

I agree that 95% of the state has no idea who JP Tokoto, Sam Dekker or Duane Wilson are, but I believe 75% of the state knows MU and UW are both in the Sweet 16.  I believe Wisconsin people are hardcore sports fans in general - show great support for the Brewers, Packers and Badgers.  It's a large and passionate fanbase.  I also believe the general sports fanbase in WI enjoys seeing negative MU coverage as it relates to MU basketball since A) We've been really good of late as has UW - so there is a huge rivalry there and B) Due to the diametrically opposed styles of play/roster composition with regard to "traditionals" versus "nontraditionals."

brewcity'77

• Walk-On
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2012, 10:26:37 AM »
I have friends that are equally UW & MU sports fans and they were shocked when I mention that some people can't stand the other school, shocked as in they had never witnessed such behavior.

Many people are just sports fans for all of the teams in this state.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2012, 10:30:21 AM »
So the vast majority of people in Wisconsin are not UW basketball fans?  Should be interesting to see what the UW Sweet 16 game TV ratings are in MKE area.  It's a growing rivalry each and every year..UW vs MU in hoops...to suggest the vast majority of people in WI are completely indifferent toward Marquette (basketball) seems naive.  Do we really think WI basketball fans enjoy losing to MU at the Kohl?  Or 2 of the past 3 years...and seeing Buzz reel in a lot of nationally regarded recruits?

I think checking the ratings is a great idea.

I would venture a guess that it will not be the most watched show in it's timeslot.

I KNOW we are all college hoops junkies, but truth be told, most people (especially in Wisco) aren't. Dancing with the stars with Donald Driver would get a far better rating than UW basketball. Hell, a replay of the Packers superbowl would probably get a better rating.

I would never say that MU is a favorite in the state, but I think your conspiracy theory is an extreme.

Relax, enjoy the fun. If you can't enjoy the sweet sixteen, Ners, what can you enjoy?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2012, 10:34:59 AM »
I also believe the general sports fanbase in WI enjoys seeing negative MU coverage as it relates to MU basketball since A) We've been really good of late as has UW - so there is a huge rivalry there and B) Due to the diametrically opposed styles of play/roster composition with regard to "traditionals" versus "nontraditionals."

I think you've read too much badgermaniac and such. Seriously, go out to a local sports bar when the MU game is on. There aren't crowds of people rooting against them. I guess that's the best "evidence" I can offer. The real world. Not dorks on the internet or calling into sports radio*. That is a TINY sample.

*edit added sports radio dorks.

LON

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2012, 10:35:41 AM »
I'm reserving judgment until WISN 12 gets Derrick Wendler's take on all this.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2012, 10:38:08 AM »
Perhaps it's just the Badger fans that I know and work with who revel in any and all bad things related to MU, but there sure seems to be a lot of MU hate out there.

+1 Visit the hick towns in out-state Wisconsin and you'll see what people are talking about. When I was in college, if I was asked where I went to school I would say "in Milwaukee" to avoid glares while back home in the Fox Valley.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 10:39:53 AM by warrior07 »

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2012, 10:40:54 AM »
I will not go as far as to say there is a conspiracy or MU bias, but I do believe their is a private school bias.  I also believe that plays into some of this.

As for the story, IMHO, it was manufactered by the JS.  The timing of the tickets is very interesting.  I believe the JS pushed hard to get something here.  There were no tickets issued for 6 weeks.  Hmmmm ...

That said, Don Walker is a MU alum and basketball fan.  I know he attends many games and believe he has season tickets.