[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Yahoo Sports believes Dominic James to return to MU  (Read 4102 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Yahoo Sports believes Dominic James to return to MU
« on: June 02, 2007, 02:31:59 PM »
Marquette sophomore Dominic James struggled for most of the camp, leaving him with no choice but to return to school. His coach, Tom Crean, spent two full days watching him and said that he hoped "whatever he decides, he needs to use this experience to see where he needs to improve."

With James returning for his junior year, Marquette is expected to be one of the elite teams in the Big East Conference.

ecompt

• All American
Re: Yahoo Sports believes Dominic James to return to MU
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 03:28:07 PM »
I hope they're right, but DJ may think otherwise. If he has his heart set on the NBA, so be it.

4everwarriors

• All American
As It Turned Out...
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 03:34:53 PM »
probably would have been better if he hadn't been invited. Lousy idea in the first place to declare this season.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 03:38:47 PM »
While I don't agree with his decision to leave early, I can understand why he did. It's big money if he gets drafted high enough and there aren't a ton of guards in the draft.  I think the talk that he is just testing the water has also hurt him since it doesn't seem like a lot of NBA teams think he's serious in entering.

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
He's just not that good
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 09:58:54 PM »
Any NBA point guard can drive to the hoop.

However, most are taller than 5'10" and can hit jump shots and free throws.

At this point, if DJ is dumb and/or stubborn enough to maintain that he has a real shot in the draft this year, than good luck to him.  I think he really has a way overinflated opinion of himself and his capabilities.

Yes, defenses geared to stop him all year, and yes, he was hurt by not having a reliable outside shooting threat like Novak, but I think that DJ is a talented, but extremely flawed player who was the benefit of absurd hype from ESPN and the Marquette PR machine, and also, to a lesser extent Coach Crean.

If he comes back to MU with the right attitude this season instead of trying to be a one man brick throwing machine like he was the second half of the year, we could have a great team.

If he is adamant about staying in the draft and ending up playing in Bulgaria or Estonia, good for him.

Good luck to DJ.  A good player, but one who couldn't hold the jock of his predecessor at point guard at Marquette.

4everwarriors

• All American
Gotta Give You Props,
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 10:39:28 PM »
ozmetal71. Couldn't have said it any better myself.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 10:55:28 PM »
Thanks.  This will probably be the first and last time that we agree.

I hope DJ comes back.  With him, we have a shot at a very special season.  Without him, we are still a very solid team capable of advancing in the tournament.

DJ is a good player, but he has a limited game and needs to work at the college level to become a better basketball player instead of just being a great athlete.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Re: As It Turned Out...
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2007, 07:26:49 AM »
probably would have been better if he hadn't been invited. Lousy idea in the first place to declare this season.

Why?

If/when he comes back, he can still play at MU, and if he has another good season(s) he will still have a shot at being drafted.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2007, 10:04:34 AM »
He made his decision to opt for the NBA prior to last season------that's why TC acquired Acker and went one over in schollies. At that time it was a "no brainer" as PR machine or not he was ranked as the #2 PG in the nation and was a lottery pick on several mocks.

Things went south for DJ after that----although he had his moments e.g vs Duke and Valpo-----but teams for the most part schemed to keep him to the perimeter and was forced to east/west dribble a lot and fire up treys. His stock dropped but still is projected to go in the mid 2nd round by a June 2 (yesterday) updated Draft Express mock!

Avenue Commons

• All American
Re: He's just not that good
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 12:08:31 PM »
Any NBA point guard can drive to the hoop.

However, most are taller than 5'10" and can hit jump shots and free throws.

At this point, if DJ is dumb and/or stubborn enough to maintain that he has a real shot in the draft this year, than good luck to him.  I think he really has a way overinflated opinion of himself and his capabilities.

Yes, defenses geared to stop him all year, and yes, he was hurt by not having a reliable outside shooting threat like Novak, but I think that DJ is a talented, but extremely flawed player who was the benefit of absurd hype from ESPN and the Marquette PR machine, and also, to a lesser extent Coach Crean.

If he comes back to MU with the right attitude this season instead of trying to be a one man brick throwing machine like he was the second half of the year, we could have a great team.

If he is adamant about staying in the draft and ending up playing in Bulgaria or Estonia, good for him.

Good luck to DJ.  A good player, but one who couldn't hold the jock of his predecessor at point guard at Marquette.

As long as he doesn't sign with an agent he'll be back. If I'm not mistaken you can not sign with an agent, stay in the draft, and then return to school if you aren't drafted or don't sign with a team. There was a player on Kentucky this last year who did this and then signed with the Knicks as a "free agent" in the spring after playing the next college season.
We Are Marquette

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2007, 02:13:41 PM »
Right, that is the case.

However, I still think that DJ is really making a huge mistake by staying in the draft.  All of his quotes from the pre-draft camp indicate that he is dead-set on
an increasing quixotic quest to play in the NBA this year.

He needs to go back to MU and learn to be a basketball player and not just a good athlete.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2007, 03:21:42 PM »
Right, that is the case.

However, I still think that DJ is really making a huge mistake by staying in the draft.  All of his quotes from the pre-draft camp indicate that he is dead-set on

He needs to go back to MU and learn to be a basketball player and not just a good athlete.

I like how half of MU fans are taking him to task over his decision but yet all maintain that they will be supportive of him if he returns next season. It's fun to rip him a new one in May/June but they'll praise him in January/February if he returns a better player.

It's easy to be a fan.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2007, 05:40:48 PM »
Right, that is the case.

I like how half of MU fans are taking him to task over his decision but yet all maintain that they will be supportive of him if he returns next season. It's fun to rip him a new one in May/June but they'll praise him in January/February if he returns a better player.

It's easy to be a fan.

I don't think there is anything inconsistent about saying that you don't agree with what DJ is doing with the draft and that he is making a mistake and also saying that you will support him if/when he returns to MU. If anything, everyone agrees that he should come back to MU and we want him back at MU.
We Are Marquette

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2007, 06:00:54 PM »
Exactly, Avenue Commons.

If I didn't give a rip about DJ, I would be posting that he should stay in the draft.  I want what is best for MU basketball and what looks to be the best for DJ, and that is for him to return to school and improve as a basketball player.

I think that is what the vast majority of MU fans want.  DJ is making a really, really stupid decision by remaining in the draft when it will lead him to playing in Bulgaria.  Its in his best interests to return to school, improve, and show that he can 1)shoot the ball 2)make free throws 3)effectively run an offense 4)lead a team consistently, game after game 5)not disappear for entire halves.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2007, 09:26:54 PM »
Exactly, Avenue Commons.

If I didn't give a rip about DJ, I would be posting that he should stay in the draft.  I want what is best for MU basketball and what looks to be the best for DJ, and that is for him to return to school and improve as a basketball player.

I think that is what the vast majority of MU fans want.  DJ is making a really, really stupid decision by remaining in the draft when it will lead him to playing in Bulgaria.  Its in his best interests to return to school, improve, and show that he can 1)shoot the ball 2)make free throws 3)effectively run an offense 4)lead a team consistently, game after game 5)not disappear for entire halves.

I agree that DJ would probably be best served coming back another year and playing...

BUT, just to be clear, I don't know him personally, so there might be something I'm not aware of...

Maybe playing in Europe and making some good money would be a big benefit for him and his family... I'm not sure anybody here is close enough to the situation to know everything.

I'm just saying...

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2007, 08:20:26 AM »
Please, you think that he has any intention, or even thought in his mind of playing in Europe?

If he were that desperate for money for his family he would hire an agent and go all out to get drafted, or play in Europe.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2007, 10:08:20 AM »
Please, you think that he has any intention, or even thought in his mind of playing in Europe?

If he were that desperate for money for his family he would hire an agent and go all out to get drafted, or play in Europe.

Not necessarily true. By not hiring an agent, DJ keeps his options open, even if he remains in the draft.
If he remains in the draft and is not selected, he can come back to Marquette and later return to the NBA as a free agent in a year or two, a la Randolph Morris.

Not hiring an agent also protects him should be injure himself at a pre-draft workout.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2007, 11:02:44 AM »
It's all about being realistic and surrounding yourself w/guys that will tell you the truth. Not what you want to hear. And at the end of the day, if that player is still hellbent on going pro, he will. It sounds like that's the case w/DJ (at least...based on reports).

We'll see if that's the case w/DJ. I'd like to think TC is telling him the right thing to do (return). But that still may not stop him. It's happened to a lot of the top coaches (players leaving against coaches wishes/guidance).

MU will survive w/out DJ. But as a selfish fan, and for his sake, I think he should return.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2007, 01:11:38 PM »

I'm just saying nobody here really knows. He's not going to come out before the draft and say "If i'm not drafted, I will be glad to play in europe and make some good money for my family".

He may be realistically thinking that... but he's not going to say it. He's going to say that his dream is to play in the NBA (because it is).

Nobody knows all of the details but DJ. We will all find out by June 18th (I think that is the day).

I hope he comes back and has an awesome season. With better shot selection on his part and a better supporting cast around him, I think DJ could be the best PG in the country.

feedback