[Today at 05:37:28 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Everlasting Craptastical Mystery Thread  (Read 507327 times)

MUMac

• All American
Re: The Everlasting Craptastical Mystery Thread
« Reply #2350 on: March 28, 2012, 08:32:28 AM »
Agreed 100%. IWB is a wannabe player in the AAU/Recruiting world. He's made some less than perfect decisions with his online choices. He threw some junk out there hoping it would stick.

When you boil the issue with LW and Buzz all down, it was a contentious talk between two executives about the future of the company. Goes on all the time.

Successful people are often intense and strong willed. It's gonna happen.
What "junk" did he throw out there?  He said SMU asked to speak with Buzz and MU gave them permission.  He said this is about relationships and it was.  What "junk" did he throw?  Did you throw any "junk" in this thread?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #2351 on: March 28, 2012, 08:35:18 AM »
Yes the program could exist without Buzz. The Packers existed after Vince left but a pretty sorry period in team history until arrival of Brett Favre. I think many of us older posters hold the standard of the program at bar set by Al. I believe we are inches away from being at a higher level in college basketball and really would hate to roll the dice on losing Buzz, especially to an inferior program.

I like Buzz a lot, and I'm in love with the projected roster in 2013 (could be a top 5 team).

Losing him would be bad. Very bad. Very, very bad.

But, I feel like some people here are worshiping at the altar "St. Buzz" a little too much.

The guy is not bigger than MU, the guy needs to be accountable to his superiors.

I'm not implying that I know anything specific, I just don't think a coach should be empowered to do whatever he wants like some around here imply.

The front of the jersey says "Marquette".

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #2352 on: March 28, 2012, 08:35:51 AM »

When you boil the issue with LW and Buzz all down, it was a contentious talk between two executives about the future of the company. Goes on all the time.

Successful people are often intense and strong willed. It's gonna happen.

And, it is not necessarily a bad thing. It could make the relationship stronger if the air was cleared, misunderstandings repaired, they know where the other one stands and they are on the same page going forward.

It could also go the other way.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #2353 on: March 28, 2012, 08:37:55 AM »
I like Buzz a lot, and I'm in love with the projected roster in 2013 (could be a top 5 team).

But, I feel like some people here are worshiping at the altar "St. Buzz" a little too much.

The guy is not bigger than MU, the guy needs to be accountable to his superiors.

I'm not implying that I know anything specific, I just don't think a coach should be empowered to do whatever he wants like some around here imply.

You would think the packer fans among us would have learned that lesson from the Farve fiasco.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2354 on: March 28, 2012, 08:40:08 AM »
It's all in how/why he leaves, though.    If he leaves for one of the top 5-10 programs, we can recover with a new coach.

If he leaves over some perceived power struggle to a conference-basement program, scaring away all other major coaches .. not so much.

I guess it depends on the nature of the power struggle.  If he leaves in that situation, but it comes out later that Buzz was responsible for a lawless atmosphere <cough Ben Howland UCLA>, then he looks just as bad.  Nobody looks good in that situation.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Rubie Q

• Starter
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #2355 on: March 28, 2012, 08:43:47 AM »
What "junk" did he throw out there?  He said SMU asked to speak with Buzz and MU gave them permission.  He said this is about relationships and it was.  What "junk" did he throw?  Did you throw any "junk" in this thread?

The "junk" he threw out there was saying: "Could Buzz to SMU actually happen? YES." Every other writer in the know saw it for the nonsense it was.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #2356 on: March 28, 2012, 08:44:01 AM »
I guess it depends on the nature of the power struggle.  If he leaves in that situation, but it comes out later that Buzz was responsible for a lawless atmosphere <cough Ben Howland UCLA>, then he looks just as bad.  Nobody looks good in that situation.

I'm afraid some people will never believe that, just like some people still think JoePa is a hero and Penn State screwed him.

unnatural carnal knowledge. I need to get out of these threads. I'm starting to sound like wet blanket.

I hope Buzz and the projected roster are here in 2013. That will be a awesome year.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2357 on: March 28, 2012, 08:46:21 AM »
Of course the jersey says Marquette on the front of it and thankfully Buzz has build a team and recruited players that millions of people saw those jerseys this year. I am all about winning and if MU has a bigger, better plan I would support that. I support Buzz because at this team in our history I believe he is the best option we have to get to FF.  

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #2358 on: March 28, 2012, 08:55:23 AM »
Of course the jersey says Marquette on the front of it and thankfully Buzz has build a team and recruited players that millions of people saw those jerseys this year. I am all about winning and if MU has a bigger, better plan I would support that. I support Buzz because at this team in our history I believe he is the best option we have to get to FF.  

I agree with that and support him as well. Love what he has done. Like his style, like his players.

I'm just surprised at the amount if vilification of the MU Admin., and subsequent doomsday predictions by people around here.

I don't know Pilarz or Larry Williams, but my bet is they aren't:
A. Stupid
B. Evil
C. Incapable because he (larry) went to Notre Dame
D. Ready to make MU like SLU
E. Wanting more "notre dame" or "northwestern" type of players

All of these things have been stated/implied by posters here. That's nonsense.

The MU administration has made a HUGE commitment to basketball the past 10 years and has shown that it is committed towards the future as well (Buzz's big contract last year). The president is new, the AD is new. That doesn't mean MU is suddenly going to take a left turn and become Loyola. Calm. Down.

If you want to see an admin. that doesn't "get it", look at DePaul.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #2359 on: March 28, 2012, 08:56:43 AM »
Okay, so now what do we do to get the basketball luncheon in Chicago going again?  Perhaps those in the know can tell me why it stopped in the first place. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #2360 on: March 28, 2012, 08:57:29 AM »

I would agree.  Except Buzz isn't running a lawless program.  He's running a program, with a strict regimen, strict scheduling, focusing on character.  

That some teenage men stray from that regimen is a given in all athletic programs, and should be understood, when the staff is honestly trying.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #2361 on: March 28, 2012, 08:58:07 AM »
I agree with that and support him as well. Love what he has done. Like his style, like his players.

I'm just surprised at the amount if vilification of the MU Admin., and subsequent doomsday predictions by people around here.

I don't know Pilarz or Larry Williams, but my bet is they aren't:
A. Stupid
B. Evil
C. Incapable because he (larry) went to Notre Dame
D. Ready to make MU like SLU
E. Wanting more "notre dame" or "northwestern" type of players

All of these things have been stated/implied by posters here. That's nonsense.

The MU administration has made a HUGE commitment to basketball the past 10 years and has shown that it is committed towards the future as well (Buzz's big contract last year). The president is new, the AD is new. That doesn't mean MU is suddenly going to take a left turn and become Loyola. Calm. Down.

If you want to see an admin. that doesn't "get it", look at DePaul.

Whenever I read 2002MUalum's posts, I picture them being said by a mustachioed Ryan Amoroso. Whether I agree with what he says or not (usually agree), it definitely makes them a much more enjoyable read.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #2362 on: March 28, 2012, 08:59:45 AM »
The "junk" he threw out there was saying: "Could Buzz to SMU actually happen? YES." Every other writer in the know saw it for the nonsense it was.

Didn't he also say something along the lines of "More than just a rumor... get ready for a bumpy ride Marquette fans"????  If that isn't throwing a gas can into a bonfire, I don't know what is.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #2363 on: March 28, 2012, 09:00:54 AM »
Whenever I read 2002MUalum's posts, I picture them being said by a mustachioed Ryan Amoroso. Whether I agree with what he says or not (usually agree), it definitely makes them a much more enjoyable read.

I'm not him, but he sits next to me and proofs my posts.

We have a piano bench instead of a desk chair.

/oops, forgot a period
//thanks ammo
///fist-bump with explosion

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2364 on: March 28, 2012, 09:02:59 AM »
I still not understand why you believe you know the direction of the program better than everyone else. many of the comments were mentioned by me and that is my opinion, based off intelligent conversations I respect. I would think many people would be satisified with a SLU type program. They made NCAA and have respected coach not making a ton of money. Would also think many would be happy recruiting ND type players. Not sure why those are major negatives?

If MU decided the program was too big for it's own good who could argue that? My point was if that is the decision (my fear) we as fans deserved to know that. I would support the program regardless. I know ZERO about either LW or Fr. because I have not met them personally. I do know we are on the verge of being special program.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #2365 on: March 28, 2012, 09:13:46 AM »
I still not understand why you believe you know the direction of the program better than everyone else. many of the comments were mentioned by me and that is my opinion, based off intelligent conversations I respect. I would think many people would be satisified with a SLU type program. They made NCAA and have respected coach not making a ton of money. Would also think many would be happy recruiting ND type players. Not sure why those are major negatives?

If MU decided the program was too big for it's own good who could argue that? My point was if that is the decision (my fear) we as fans deserved to know that. I would support the program regardless. I know ZERO about either LW or Fr. because I have not met them personally. I do know we are on the verge of being special program.

A "SLU" type program and "ND" or "Northwestern" players were all refereed to pejoratively in this thread, so I don't think anybody would be "happy" with that.

I know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about the future of the program. NONE. NADA. ZIP. I have no sources.

What I DO KNOW, is everything MU has done correctly in the past 10-15 years to get the program to this level. A LOT of that has to do with Coach Crean and Coach Buzz. Big props.

I have a hard time believing MU is ready to hit the self destruct button and send it's athletics program back to where it was in 1996 as some here have implied.

Nothing MU has done (including adding Lacrosse) leads me to this conclusion.

That is all I know. You might have awesome sources, and I might be an pretty boy at a keyboard. 

/fist-bump Ammo.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #2366 on: March 28, 2012, 09:15:11 AM »

Please go back and look at my posts in this thread. I posted what I knew and also what I thought. Let me know how, in the end, I was wrong.
We Are Marquette

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2367 on: March 28, 2012, 09:18:22 AM »
I do not think you are anything other than a great fan. Every post I made you attacked because you did not like the content, yet you feel your opinion is correct. Truthfully your support is awesome and on par with all the fans. My posts were made both out of info shared with me and my opinion. Do not believe that admin sat around and said "lets be SLU" at anytime. Just know it is far easier to become SLU than it is to become Michigan State or UNC.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #2368 on: March 28, 2012, 09:21:22 AM »
Fighting amongst each other over "sources" and inane details about what was said and what was inferred about what was said.

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming...
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #2369 on: March 28, 2012, 09:27:46 AM »
I do not think you are anything other than a great fan. Every post I made you attacked because you did not like the content, yet you feel your opinion is correct. Truthfully your support is awesome and on par with all the fans. My posts were made both out of info shared with me and my opinion. Do not believe that admin sat around and said "lets be SLU" at anytime. Just know it is far easier to become SLU than it is to become Michigan State or UNC.

I "attacked" the content because what you are saying doesn't match what we have seen, and what we know. It doesn't jive.

You might be a visionary, and I might have my head in the sand. I'm not afraid admit that, and my face can be rubbed in it later if you are right. I'll deserve it.

I know how easily and quickly a program can fall. Losing a top-notch coach would be BAD. VERY BAD. But again, MU has done some things right over the past 15 years, so I'm not ready to demonize the administration like some people already have.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #2370 on: March 28, 2012, 09:29:20 AM »
Fighting amongst each other over "sources" and inane details about what was said and what was inferred about what was said.

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming...

gotta get to 100, yo.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #2371 on: March 28, 2012, 09:29:36 AM »
about 50 posts to go to break the baseball pissing match thread (2402).  Everyone catch their breath for the stretch run.
It all feels so empty now.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2372 on: March 28, 2012, 09:30:18 AM »
Didn't he also say something along the lines of "More than just a rumor... get ready for a bumpy ride Marquette fans"????  If that isn't throwing a gas can into a bonfire, I don't know what is.

IWB has been right (and wrong) in the past. But it's worth noting in this particular situation, he was the only on-the-record source out there claiming Buzz had permission to talk with SMU, and was the only on-the-record source out there claiming Buzz seriously was considering a move.
He may have been right. He may not have been. But the fact that others out there with reasonable access to both programs (Katz, Davis, Goodman) quickly dismissed any Buzz to SMU talk as "wishful thinking" and the like at the very least calls into question IWB's information.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2373 on: March 28, 2012, 09:32:09 AM »
Trust me I was 100% correct on friction between admin and Buzz. If that still is in question you do have your head in the sand. Again if you read your post you are stating your opinion trumps what I know. Seriously do not care...glad we can talk about recruiting even better players down the road.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #2374 on: March 28, 2012, 09:34:29 AM »

If you recall, earlier in the thread SMU had agreed to change their jerseys to say "BUZZ" on the front.  Since the thread doesn't lie, the least we could do is put a "BUZZ" patch on ours.  Then again, that would be counter-intuitive to the message in your post.