[Today at 05:37:28 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Everlasting Craptastical Mystery Thread  (Read 507335 times)

Lighthouse 84

• All American
Re: SMU Fans' Thread on Getting Buzz is Adorable
« Reply #1800 on: March 27, 2012, 12:38:54 PM »
You can't match and you won't, but like you said its not all about the money....

Maybe I missed it in the 35 pages or so since I last saw SMU17 or 18 post, but what happened to those guys? Was there a SMU19?  I'm thinking they're all a bunch of brothers (like the Hanson Brothers from Slap Shot) sitting around playing with trucks and posting on Scoop.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #1801 on: March 27, 2012, 12:39:00 PM »
This is just a bunch of nerds on a message board.  It isn't even a rumor.  Have you seen anything on ESPN or anywhere other than this board that says Buzz is anything more than a SMU "candidate"?  It's not like the national media is running a bunch of stories on this.  There's literally nothing for him to clear the air on except for this massive thread on an internet site he doesn't read.

This being said, I'm surprised that there's nothing in the media.  You'd think that one or more sides of this would be leaking propaganda to sway the public.

Really strange courtship so far.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #1802 on: March 27, 2012, 12:39:14 PM »
Up that figure by about two million, that is what I heard
If SMU wants to pay Buzz $6M, and he accepts, they can have him.  There's no reason to pay that kind of money for a basketball coach.  There's no reason to pay that much money for 3 basketball coaches.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #1803 on: March 27, 2012, 12:39:30 PM »
Exactly Goose. Easy recruiting and its not like he doesnt know how to coach basketball because he was in the NBA. And he's the ONLY NBA coach I would ever consider because he would have passion for MU.

Not so sure about the NBA coach thing...  Not the best analogy, but Isiah Thomas.  Doc ain't a crackpot, but Thomas didn't attract the kids.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Avenue Commons

• All American
Re: Do we know any more today than we knew yesterday?
« Reply #1804 on: March 27, 2012, 12:40:23 PM »
First post in a while that made me feel a little more optimistic.  Don't toy with me, Avenue Commons.

I'm not toying. Just sharing my thoughts and insights on the issue.

I fully admit that I might be wrong. But more than anything my optimism stems from the fact that there is just so much at stake: Reputations, careers, time investments, recruits, marketing, money and more money.

I find it hard to believe that after MU gave Buzz the chance it did and then committed to him last year that Buzz can't handle that he is expected to lead a team that stays out of trouble. It isn't too much to ask from the coach of a conservative Jesuit, Catholic university in the Midwest.

Also remember that Cottingham already fell on his sword. There is no need for more heads to roll now. If Buzz was going to be axed it would have happened when MU was unfortunately on the front page of the Chicago Tribune.

Let's all also remember that those at the top have a responsibility to the university as a whole. Not just to the basketball program and its coaches. I know I'm in the minority, but I think it is totally appropriate that MU and Buzz discuss in depth what is expected of him. If he wants to bristle at that its ok. It's what adults do. But sometimes (like when MU is on the cover of the Tribune for bad, bad reasons) tough conversations take place. And right now a tough conversation is taking place.

But it'll all be fine. And just like a fight with your wife, in the end you get it all out and your marriage is better off for it. Time for AC to get back to work.
We Are Marquette

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1805 on: March 27, 2012, 12:40:34 PM »
Maybe I missed it in the 35 pages or so since I last saw SMU17 or 18 post, but what happened to those guys? Was there a SMU19?  I'm thinking they're all a bunch of brothers (like the Hanson Brothers from Slap Shot) sitting around playing with trucks and posting on Scoop.

I think one of them had a birthday and updated his user name.

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
« Reply #1806 on: March 27, 2012, 12:40:44 PM »
wish Buzz could go to Pilarz and the board and say "take your pick, Larry the lame newby AD or me the basketball coaching prodigy"

See this is the stuff that is dumb.  Assuming Larry is stupid because he is new without hearing what the real convo is behind the scenes.  That may be the conclusion in the end but give him a chance.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1807 on: March 27, 2012, 12:40:50 PM »
I think it's hilarious that SMU fans are talking about how insane the money Buzz Williams would get.  Buzz makes $2.6 million a year.  The highest paid coach in the NCAA is Coach Cal at $4 million a year (that'll teach you not to cheat...).  The 2nd highest paid is Coach Izzo at $3.5 million a year (along with Billy Donovan and maybe others).  Is SMU really going to pay a coach with 5 years experience, whose best postseason is the Sweet 16, more than Izzo and Donovan, both guys with National Championships and Final Fours galore?  I have my doubts about that.

But wait, they're just going to slip money under the table to the coach.  That's what cheaters do to student-athletes, not to coaches.  And slipping money under the table within the athletic program has worked out really well throughout SMU's history...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

mufansince72

• Starter
« Reply #1808 on: March 27, 2012, 12:40:59 PM »
If SMU wants to pay Buzz $6M, and he accepts, they can have him.  There's no reason to pay that kind of money for a basketball coach.  There's no reason to pay that much money for 3 basketball coaches.

They are prepared to make him the highest paid coach in Basketball.  

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1809 on: March 27, 2012, 12:41:04 PM »
No, I have been. But I still don't recall seeing anything outside of these message boards alluding to any of this. Where is the original source of there being any turmoil at all? Everything I've seen is just hearsay and conjecture.

Just so you know, technically, newspaper reports are hearsay.  People tell reporters things, and then reporters write it.  That's what we've got going on here.  Frankly, there are a couple people posting today and citing sources that I trust at least as much -- but probably more -- then Elund, ESPN or others.

I honestly think that we know pretty much what is out there to be known right now.  Having some hoops columnist confirm it wouldn't change much for me.  Having a direct quote from Buzz or the University on the other hand...
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1810 on: March 27, 2012, 12:41:11 PM »
MU would have matched IU for Crean had they been given the chance.  

Thanks for not giving MU the chance, Tom. Add this to the list.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 12:49:15 PM by Lennys Tap »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1811 on: March 27, 2012, 12:41:14 PM »
You can't match and you won't, but like you said its not all about the money....

If you offered Buzz $10M per year, which you wouldn't, we could pay him $20M per year, which we also wouldn't. If the powers that be at Marquette wanted to make Buzz the highest paid coach in college, they have the financial wherewithal to do that. If it became a ridiculous financial pissing contest, maybe you have more boosters, and maybe you have ones that can outspend ours, but no one is going to pay Buzz 8 figures, and if it really came down to it, we have boosters that could authorize paying Buzz that much if they so chose without batting an eye.

It's not about money at all. If that were all this was about, there's be an offer, a counter offer, and a decision. This all would have been done Sunday.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #1812 on: March 27, 2012, 12:42:33 PM »

I am pretty sure Nick Saban's contract just got renewed and he is at about $5 million a year.  And I would put him in a class much higher than Buzz in the college sports world.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #1813 on: March 27, 2012, 12:42:56 PM »
Like I said, if he accepts, I hope they're happy together.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1814 on: March 27, 2012, 12:43:23 PM »
Issue isn't incoming academics but progress when they are here and discipline.

The grad rate is gonna take a hit. Lazar never graduated, nor did Buycks. I believe Jimmy finished up during the lockout. I can see them having an issue with seniors leaving school without graduating to prep for the draft. This might be going on with Jae and DJ at the moment.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #1815 on: March 27, 2012, 12:43:46 PM »

I fully admit that I might be wrong. But more than anything my optimism stems from the fact that there is just so much at stake: Reputations, careers, time investments, recruits, marketing, money and more money.

I find it hard to believe that after MU gave Buzz the chance it did and then committed to him last year that Buzz can't handle that he is expected to lead a team that stays out of trouble. It isn't too much to ask from the coach of a conservative Jesuit, Catholic university in the Midwest.

Also remember that Cottingham already fell on his sword. There is no need for more heads to roll now. If Buzz was going to be axed it would have happened when MU was unfortunately on the front page of the Chicago Tribune.

Let's all also remember that those at the top have a responsibility to the university as a whole. Not just to the basketball program and its coaches. I know I'm in the minority, but I think it is totally appropriate that MU and Buzz discuss in depth what is expected of him. If he wants to bristle at that its ok. It's what adults do. But sometimes (like when MU is on the cover of the Tribune for bad, bad reasons) tough conversations take place. And right now a tough conversation is taking place.

But it'll all be fine. And just like a fight with your wife, in the end you get it all out and your marriage is better off for it. Time for AC to get back to work.

Do you know what the divorce rate is these days?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1816 on: March 27, 2012, 12:44:00 PM »
I think it's hilarious that SMU fans are talking about how insane the money Buzz Williams would get.  Buzz makes $2.6 million a year.  The highest paid coach in the NCAA is Coach Cal at $4 million a year (that'll teach you not to cheat...).  The 2nd highest paid is Coach Izzo at $3.5 million a year (along with Billy Donovan and maybe others).  Is SMU really going to pay a coach with 5 years experience, whose best postseason is the Sweet 16, more than Izzo and Donovan, both guys with National Championships and Final Fours galore?  I have my doubts about that.

But wait, they're just going to slip money under the table to the coach.  That's what cheaters do to student-athletes, not to coaches.  And slipping money under the table within the athletic program has worked out really well throughout SMU's history...

Well, you know, they do pay June Jones $10 million a year.
Buzz would be a bargain.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #1817 on: March 27, 2012, 12:44:22 PM »
who are you?  An MU fan since 1972?  Really?  With these types of comments I'm wondering what you know.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #1818 on: March 27, 2012, 12:44:54 PM »

I think this is right on.  All of it.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #1819 on: March 27, 2012, 12:45:01 PM »

More importantly, if SMU wants to pay Buzz $6M and he rejects them, what does that say about SMU?  I don't think I would want to be touting the money thrown around and the fact others can't match it if they don't get him.  Now, THAT would be embarrassing.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #1820 on: March 27, 2012, 12:45:54 PM »
Thanks for not giving MU the che chance, Tom. Add this to the list.
See, you can appreciate Tom Crean for at least one thing that he did at MU.

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
« Reply #1821 on: March 27, 2012, 12:46:26 PM »
Not so sure about the NBA coach thing...  Not the best analogy, but Isiah Thomas.  Doc ain't a crackpot, but Thomas didn't attract the kids.

Thomas didn't recently (for the new recruits) win an NBA championship and wouldn't be moving to a low division 1 school (or should I say Isaiah Thompson)

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #1822 on: March 27, 2012, 12:47:34 PM »
More importantly, if SMU wants to pay Buzz $6M and he rejects them, what does that say about SMU?  I don't think I would want to be touting the money thrown around and the fact others can't match it if they don't get him.  Now, THAT would be embarrassing.

Man I love Buzz and think he's a great coach, but for $6 mil I think they could do better than Buzz.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #1823 on: March 27, 2012, 12:48:45 PM »
Man I love Buzz and think he's a great coach, but for $6 mil I think they could do better than Buzz.
I don't think they could do better than Buzz.  I think he's perfect for the job.  But there's no way he or any other college basketball coach should be making $6M per year at this time.

SMU20

• Walk-On
« Reply #1824 on: March 27, 2012, 12:49:51 PM »
If you offered Buzz $10M per year, which you wouldn't, we could pay him $20M per year, which we also wouldn't. If the powers that be at Marquette wanted to make Buzz the highest paid coach in college, they have the financial wherewithal to do that. If it became a ridiculous financial pissing contest, maybe you have more boosters, and maybe you have ones that can outspend ours, but no one is going to pay Buzz 8 figures, and if it really came down to it, we have boosters that could authorize paying Buzz that much if they so chose without batting an eye.

It's not about money at all. If that were all this was about, there's be an offer, a counter offer, and a decision. This all would have been done Sunday.

its amazing how little you know...

feedback