[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Everlasting Craptastical Mystery Thread  (Read 507083 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: SMU Fans' Thread on Getting Buzz is Adorable
« Reply #1750 on: March 27, 2012, 12:14:47 PM »
Pretty sure disallowing qualified JUCO's admittance is against federal law...maybe the DOE can add that to their investigation list of MU's administration?

Marquette can admit JUCOs all they want.  Doesn't mean the head coach is required to take JUCOs.

As far as the terms that are at issue, I have absolutely no problem with Pillarz and Williams telling Buzz he has to keep the conduct of the players clean (not trying to say their conduct hasn't or has been clean over the past 4 years, just saying from now on) and if they get into trouble, that they must be punished accordingly.  If this is causing Buzz to consider leaving Marquette for SMU, then he should have to consider leaving any job.  This is not a free for all.  If Buzz has a problem with the people above him telling him "If kids end up in a police report for (whatever it may be), they must be punished" (again, not trying to say whether or not this has happened in the past, just future here), then I'm not sure he's the right guy to be coaching Marquette University.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Benny B

• All American
Re: Report: Buzz is Leaving
« Reply #1751 on: March 27, 2012, 12:15:11 PM »
First post...not buyin it.

Agreed.  Second post seems 65x more legitimate than the first.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #1752 on: March 27, 2012, 12:15:55 PM »
Ha.  Nice try, to bad MUTV doesn't get that email.  At least not from an official source!  Go back to the UW or SMU board.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #1753 on: March 27, 2012, 12:16:35 PM »
Issue isn't incoming academics but progress when they are here and discipline.

so you require the guys to progress, and give them tutors if they need help.  tell them the rules if they unnatural carnal knowledge up - suspensions/dismissals from team.  put it on the players, not the coach.  he's not their mommy.  they're grown men.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #1754 on: March 27, 2012, 12:16:59 PM »
Marquette can admit JUCOs all they want.  Doesn't mean the head coach is required to take JUCOs.

As far as the terms that are at issue, I have absolutely no problem with Pillarz and Williams telling Buzz he has to keep the conduct of the players clean (not trying to say their conduct hasn't or has been clean over the past 4 years, just saying from now on) and if they get into trouble, that they must be punished accordingly.  If this is causing Buzz to consider leaving Marquette for SMU, then he should have to consider leaving any job.  This is not a free for all.  If Buzz has a problem with the people above him telling him "If kids end up in a police report for (whatever it may be), they must be punished" (again, not trying to say whether or not this has happened in the past, just future here), then I'm not sure he's the right guy to be coaching Marquette University.

Again, unless everything we know about Buzz is a charade, then there is no way the two sides would be add odds over an issue like this.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #1755 on: March 27, 2012, 12:17:27 PM »

+1

Before I blast the administration, I'd like to know what they are actually asking for. If it's something reasonable and Buzz is balking... then it's best he move on.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #1756 on: March 27, 2012, 12:18:08 PM »
I think blinders must be taken off for that statement.

At the time Buzz took over, if you polled 100 MU Scoopers, I'll bet the leading vote getter on the question of "How many NBA players are on this roster?" would be 1. Buzz is what made those guys NBA players. They were 3* recruits (Zar, JFB) at best. Solid college players, but nobody in honesty thought those guys were NBA caliber at the time. If you did, you are full of it.
Niv, my point was that the talent level he started with at Marquette would be a lot better than what is at SMU right now. He had 4 players who had started pretty much every game they had played at MU to that point, and many thought that Jerel and Wes had a shot at the NBA, and James had flirted with it after his freshman season. Butler came in and played 687 minutes that year.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1757 on: March 27, 2012, 12:18:23 PM »
Again, unless everything we know about Buzz is a charade, then there is no way the two sides would be add odds over an issue like this.

I agree.  None of this seems to make sense.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1758 on: March 27, 2012, 12:19:16 PM »
Doc would be nice replacement.

I haven't chimed into this mess of a thread, but I would never want an NBA guy at Marquette, even Doc.  Coaching college is way, way more work than coaching in the NBA, and I don't think NBA guys are willing to do that work.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #1759 on: March 27, 2012, 12:19:22 PM »
Ha.  Nice try, to bad MUTV doesn't get that email.  At least not from an official source!  Go back to the UW or SMU board.

MUTV personnel are on the same media mailing list as WISN, Journal Sentinel, et al. When Kuykendal sends a press release, he sends it to the list, MUTV people would get it.

I also would get it, because I haven't been taken off that list. I haven't gotten anything from Kuykendal about this.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1760 on: March 27, 2012, 12:19:38 PM »
Again, as has been said by others, how is this an "issue"?  Much less an issue that would rise to this level of stand-off between the two parties?

All I can think of is that the BOT is laying down some pretty draconian measures that Buzz thinks are far too severe.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1761 on: March 27, 2012, 12:19:57 PM »

Than why cant we blame the professors for being crapty teachers?

Isnt that a professor problem?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #1762 on: March 27, 2012, 12:20:21 PM »
Only way this goes down with Buzz leaving is if Doc is replacement.

Dreadman24

• Team Captain
« Reply #1763 on: March 27, 2012, 12:20:58 PM »
I think we all are being nieve to the fact that Buzz is taking SMU serious:/

I hate to say it but i think hes gone

SMU20

• Walk-On
« Reply #1764 on: March 27, 2012, 12:22:05 PM »
You would be gone as well...the fact he is still considering means he really loves it up there...

GOO

• All American
« Reply #1765 on: March 27, 2012, 12:22:43 PM »
Only way this goes down with Buzz leaving is if Doc is replacement.

What does this mean?  Plus, would Doc be an upgrade?  College recruiting takes a lot of time and a different talent.  Ya, he could bring in some big recruits, the one and done's maybe.  I'd rather have Buzz stay. I just can't see Doc sitting in the wings.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1766 on: March 27, 2012, 12:24:13 PM »
MU hoops is on the precipice of being a team like Maryland was in the mid-90's to early 2000's  to derail it now would piss me off to know end.  But than again me complaining on a message board with you guys probably does nothing.

In good news, I just checked with Signature service and their are no private planes leaving Mitchell for DFW or Dallas Love today

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
« Reply #1767 on: March 27, 2012, 12:24:45 PM »
I haven't chimed into this mess of a thread, but I would never want an NBA guy at Marquette, even Doc.  Coaching college is way, way more work than coaching in the NBA, and I don't think NBA guys are willing to do that work.

Doc seems a little different for us though. Not just a random NBA coach but a guy familiar with the program an has 2 kids (one a ridiculous stud) that have been through top programs.  He would be an easy sell for recruits. I'd rather Buzz stay but just responding to your "all NBA coaches would be bad for us" post. I agree 99% but I'd take Doc.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #1768 on: March 27, 2012, 12:25:03 PM »
Based on his relationship with his returning players, if this (the discipline/academic stuff) is what it's coming down to, I feel that they will find a way to work it out to the point that he will stay here, at least for another season.  I seriously doubt if the amount of money SMU's offering is a factor in Buzz's decision process.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

klyrish

• All American
« Reply #1769 on: March 27, 2012, 12:25:17 PM »
I think we all are being nieve to the fact that Buzz is taking SMU serious:/

I hate to say it but i think hes gone
Why? Why do you think that? Why does ANYONE think this? Apart from the threads here, I can't seem to find anything at all about him even teasing the idea. Everything is about SMU wanting him but nothing about him wanting to go there. Where did all of this stuff even come from at all?

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1770 on: March 27, 2012, 12:25:30 PM »
I love that people are trying to figure out what LW and Pilarz demanded of Buzz when there isn't even any evidence that anything was asked of him.

I realize not hearing anything is tough but come on.  People are just making up storylines now.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #1771 on: March 27, 2012, 12:26:01 PM »
But:

1) If these terms are new to Buzz, why would Buzz have a problem with any of that (unless his entire character is a charade)
2) If Buzz is already doing this, why is the AD digging in their heels?
3) No one has been suspended for academic reasons, and everyone is apparently graduating (or making progress)... so if MU is voluntarily putting academic thresholds for athletes in place in response to nothing, it will be the first university in the country to do so.

It seems to me that Buzz already grasps the magnitude of the scrutiny of his players and the university, and he also seems like the guy who isn't going to simply let things slide.  So none of this makes any sense at all.  Either Buzz and the AD are being stupid, or we all are.  My vote is the latter.

Exactly, if Buzz really is what he come across as, why would he object to high standards on and off the court, you think he would embrace that.

Avenue Commons

• All American
Re: Do we know any more today than we knew yesterday?
« Reply #1772 on: March 27, 2012, 12:26:24 PM »
I know a few facts:

Buzz Williams is under contract to coach the Marquette basketball team;
Marquette's basketball program is superior to SMU's in every regard;
Buzz is a celebrity who benefits from having his name in the news;
It would be disastrous to Larry Williams' career for Buzz to leave MU;
Marquette just signed a new, local recruit last week;
Major college basketball coaches rarely, if ever, take a "step down" by choice, regardless of money.

There are other things I "think" and other things I've "heard" today (some from some pretty decent sources, but far from Buzz, Williams, Pilarz, etc), but those are the facts I "know."

My educated conclusion is this: This is a power play. There was some tension this past fall, but not because Pilarz and Williams were "new" but because of the fallout from the scandal in the news last fall. The simple fact is the players at issue were under Buzz's supervision. Fair or not, heavy is the head that wears the crown. Buzz took some flak. Now he's "brushing back" and asserting some power. It would be very bad for many people at Marquette professionally if Buzz left. They won't let it happen.

Anyways, time and success heal all wounds. Everything is going to be fine. Everyone should relax.

Perhaps in light of my source on the DePaul arena issue proving to be true, I can get some credibility regarding my post above. For those of you that are curious, I am what a cynical person would call a booster (in a good way) of the program and through the years have made a series of contacts.

Once again I fairly qualified my sources. No they are not Williams, Fr. Pilarz, Buzz, etc. But I have no reason to doubt them.

Again, take my insight for what its worth. This is some Big Boy stuff with a lot at stake. But there is too much on the line for too many careers and too much money at stake.

Things happen. Life goes on. So should we.
We Are Marquette

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #1773 on: March 27, 2012, 12:26:54 PM »
Doc seems a little different for us though. Not just a random NBA coach but a guy familiar with the program an has 2 kids (one a ridiculous stud) that have been through top programs.  He would be an easy sell for recruits. I'd rather Buzz stay but just responding to your "all NBA coaches would be bad for us" post. I agree 99% but I'd take Doc.

To even entertain the thought that doc would leave the NBA to come coach here is beyond delusion.  Please stop immediately.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

Goose

• All American
« Reply #1774 on: March 27, 2012, 12:27:04 PM »
Doc would be a major hit as coach. This is strictly gut call but only way they could avoid a major PR hit would be bringing Doc. Know idea why he would do it but funnier things could happen. Hate to say it but it would put my anger to the back burner.
Kids love NBA guys and Doc has played with and coached the best. Would say this post is far fetched....but who would have thought MU would not want Buzz?

feedback