[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Everlasting Craptastical Mystery Thread  (Read 507171 times)

mr.MUskie

• All American
Re: SMU Fans' Thread on Getting Buzz is Adorable
« Reply #1625 on: March 27, 2012, 11:07:35 AM »
But they will not.  If this story plays out as it appears to be, Buzz is being given a cold shoulder, jumping off the bus to a mid-major team.  This would be a death blow to Marquette's program.

What major coach would agree to coaching for MU, when a guy didn't get support after massive athletic success who also talks about "character" all the time?

If it wasn't for the 5x raise Wardle would get, he'd turn it down too.

What major coach is going to come in with the order to babysit your players 24/7 and keep them from committing even the smallest infraction or you'll be shown the door?

TJ

• All American
« Reply #1626 on: March 27, 2012, 11:07:42 AM »
If Buzz is pushed out, Shaka is not walking through that door. Don't even mention Brad Stevens. It's Chris Collins if he would take it under the new rules put in place and Brian if he doesn't. While I cringe at the thought of Chris Collins, and know he would absolutely use us as a stepping stone, I'm just not ready for the Brian Wardle experiment.

That's all made up in my head too, I don't have sources.
Hey, I'm the one making that point.  Say that to whoever I just replied to.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #1627 on: March 27, 2012, 11:07:54 AM »
Please stop your Buzz crush and realize that A LOT of very good coaches have attempted to jump ship to try to rebuild a program and failed. You act as though he can do it with a snap of his fingers.

Sadly your viewpoints on the matter seem to mesh with what could be the inflated ego of those on the Board of Trustees that feel MU is the calling card and reason Buzz has been successful.  As has been pointed out, Jae Crowder and DJO came here without ever visiting MU...Gee...think Buzz doesn't have any clout or influence to where he will be so handicapped by SMU's "tradition" that kids won't want to go play at a school in a warm weather, growing city, that has some of the most beautiful girls in the entire world..and they get to still play in the Big East, Madison Square Garden...and Buzz can come back to MU and likely kick MU's ass in hoops annually?  Just watch it all unfold if he leaves for SMU...
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #1628 on: March 27, 2012, 11:07:59 AM »
I heard about friction going back to last fall. This is not a LW power play in my opinion. The school has determine if the risk is worth the reward, both on and off the court. MU has to protect the brand and obviously any negative from the program makes them nervous. I do get that but unless they are holding back other issues they may be erroring too far on the side of caution.

Just to confirm, this is a school that backed off of "Warriors" because it offended like 35 people, right?

Thanks.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1629 on: March 27, 2012, 11:08:59 AM »
I don't know what is going to happen, and have no inside source whatsoever. But too many people here are assuming if he leaves that he was "forced" out or shown the door by Williams and Pilarz. IF, IF he leaves to take the SMU job, maybe its because he wants to go, despite anything Williams and Pilarz offer him? Maybe he has some new demands that the MU Admin is not willing to meet? And my guess is we'll probably never know the real reason if it turns out he does leave. He left his first job after 1 year, and if he leaves now, he'll leave his second job after 4 years. All I'm saying is while many want to entirely blame Williams and Pilarz, maybe this situation is also due to Buzz as well. But the speculation sure is fun, huh?

There are a lot of people on this board who are heavily invested in the "I'll stay as long as they'll have me" schtick.  For some of those people, it will be easier to blame this on the University that they loved long before Buzz arrived (and hopefully will love long after he goes -- whenever that is) than to admit that they fell for a line.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1630 on: March 27, 2012, 11:09:19 AM »
Just to confirm, this is a school that backed off of "Warriors" because it offended like 35 people, right?

Thanks.

42 people. Get your facts straight!

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #1631 on: March 27, 2012, 11:09:29 AM »
If this tumbles, we do have a nice option being currently explored.

"Hi Shaka, do you want to your little dance with us in public for 5 minutes and make us look even more stupid?"

Norm

• All American
« Reply #1632 on: March 27, 2012, 11:10:26 AM »
If Buzz were to leave, which I do not believe, we would have zero chance of hiring anyone of quality. This situation would be beyond a major blow to the university. I believe the school believes that the vast majority of fans would embrace a Wardle type of coach.
Who would you consider a quality hire?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #1633 on: March 27, 2012, 11:10:36 AM »
There are a lot of people on this board who are heavily invested in the "I'll stay as long as they'll have me" schtick.  For some of those people, it will be easier to blame this on the University that they loved long before Buzz arrived (and hopefully will love long after he goes -- whenever that is) than to admit that they fell for a line.

Oh man, I can't wait until SMU wins more games than MU and Buzz freaks come out and show MU how they were wrong.  ::)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1634 on: March 27, 2012, 11:10:58 AM »

Thinking back on it, that line is brilliant! No matter when or where he leaves, he's already set it up so that it was because "they" won't have him anymore. It's gold, Jerry! Gold!

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #1635 on: March 27, 2012, 11:11:07 AM »
Hey, I'm the one making that point.  Say that to whoever I just replied to.
Too many posts to keep track of....sorry.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1636 on: March 27, 2012, 11:11:17 AM »
Players are extremely nervous.  They expected a positive resolution by now and aren't getting it. Doesn't mean he is leaving, but this could have been settled by now.  Buzz is clearly negotiating something with someone...SMU, MU...or possibly someone else???  Much different than last year.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #1637 on: March 27, 2012, 11:11:37 AM »
This just in, all but maybe 5-7 programs are based mostly on the coach. The other 5-7 are built-in brands that have a leg-up no matter what (IU, Kansas, Duke, UNC, etc).

To say out of one side of your mouth that Buzz is a really great coach, but then poo poo his chances of being successful at SMU when he has shown he is successful at M freakin U is disengenous at best and moronic at worst.

Yeah, it's SMU, but so what? Buzz isn't an unproven commodity like he was when he got to MU. He had to work hard to convince kids to come here. Now, if he leaves? He has three kids that he coached in the NBA - two of whom were first rounders and one was an undrafted free agent who would have never gotten the opportunity had the former coach stuck around. Throw in the fact his love for the kids, the fact he has played a key role in turning "nice" players into stars (Butler, Hayward, Williams, Crowder, DJO)? I mean... just because there are other schools in Texas doesn't mean Buzz would suck there.

He's been recruiting nationally at MU. Why would he now fail just because he's physically located in the south? That makes zero sense.

I don't think he would fail.  I also was replying to a crazy overreaction by Ners that said SMU would be top 5 in the Big East in 5 years with Buzz.  Maybe I used some hyperbole to say that won't happen.  SMU isn't just a simple coach hire away from greatness.  Buzz would do a great job building the program to success, but it wouldn't be overnight.

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #1638 on: March 27, 2012, 11:12:13 AM »
Oh man, I can't wait until SMU wins more games than MU and Buzz freaks come out and show MU how they were wrong.  ::)

Or in 2013 when MU loses in the BC by 20 to SMU.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #1639 on: March 27, 2012, 11:12:33 AM »
Maybe Larry figures since he went to ND he's an expert on everything and he'll just do that basketball coaching himself in his spare time.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1640 on: March 27, 2012, 11:12:36 AM »
Thinking back on it, that line is brilliant! No matter when or where he leaves, he's already set it up so that it was because "they" won't have him anymore. It's gold, Jerry! Gold!

Actually, there's a lot of truth to that.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

jfmu

• Starter
« Reply #1641 on: March 27, 2012, 11:12:40 AM »
Did anyone just get this email:

Please join Marquette Men's Basketball Head Coach Buzz Williams, staff and team as we celebrate the 2011-12 season!

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Could be an awkward banquet if this is all true...

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1642 on: March 27, 2012, 11:12:46 AM »
Great quote from Kuma's website.

"Death to Miller and Budweiser... they are over-produced and inferior products that prevent passionate craftsmen from sharing their gifts with all of us."

Terrible quote.  Just cause a beer is mass produced does not mean that it is not well crafted.  If someone took the high life recipe and marketed it as a micro brew made by hippies in Boulder than it would be deemed quality.

I love high life and screw Kuma for telling me what beers I can like and cant.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #1643 on: March 27, 2012, 11:13:57 AM »
Or in 2013 when MU loses in the BC by 20 to SMU.

Holy S. Ners would burn the Bradley Center down.

Clarence

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #1644 on: March 27, 2012, 11:14:22 AM »
I just got invited to the Awards Banquet on April 11th.  Is this a good sign?

Please join Marquette Men's Basketball Head Coach Buzz Williams, staff and team as we celebrate the 2011-12 season!

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

6:30 pm
Mingle with Marquette staff and players
Heavy hors d'oeuvres and cash bar available

7:30 pm
Program and awards ceremony

Price
$35 Adults
$15 Kids age 12 & under
Kids 2 & under are free

1451 Renaissance Place
1451 North Prospect Avenue
Milwaukee, WI
www.renaissanceplace.com

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1645 on: March 27, 2012, 11:14:46 AM »
I have nothing of substance to add at this point other than the situation seems fluid. At the end of the day, I just don't see Buzz having what it takes inside him to look those kids in the eyes, and tell them he's leaving. Not with the relationship he has with them.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1646 on: March 27, 2012, 11:14:59 AM »

I remember seeing Lamar conference champion t-shirts on campus when Mike Deane took Lamar to the Tourney (as a 16-seed with a below .500 record) the year after being canned by MU.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #1647 on: March 27, 2012, 11:15:02 AM »
Um well Grambling State isn't being rumored to be in discussions with Buzz. So try another comparison.
Southern Utah job is open.  Hold a presser to say Buzz isn't interested.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #1648 on: March 27, 2012, 11:15:09 AM »
May not happen at the snap of his fingers, but at least a lot of us are willing to give the guy credit for what he's done. He does have a track record, you know.

I agree, but Buzz didn't make Marquette like some on here are acting. He will not have the Three Amigos to start with at SMU, nor the already built-in hard work, blue-collar character of the team. That is hard to create and Buzz didn't do it by himself.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #1649 on: March 27, 2012, 11:15:20 AM »
May not happen at the snap of his fingers, but at least a lot of us are willing to give the guy credit for what he's done. He does have a track record, you know.

A track record at MAINTAINING/IMPROVING a high D1 program.  Not a track record of BUILDING a mid-major into a high-major school.

Big difference