[Today at 11:19:43 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 10:47:01 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[April 29, 2024, 10:20:04 PM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by tower912
[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Beer  (Read 4746 times)

tzznandrew

• Walk-On
Beer
« on: March 18, 2012, 08:05:13 PM »
As a UConn fan who drinks heavily during games, I need to know if there is an appropriate beer.

For UConn, for some reason, that is Rolling Rock.  It's pretty awful, but its been that way since before the first title.

Is there a Marquette beer that brings good luck and helps the mojo?  If so I would like to partake, and also bring back to the Boneyard since they're debating Miller High Life or Pabst. 

For the love of God I hope it's better than those two...

Blackhat

• All American
Re: Beer
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 08:07:58 PM »
Always Miller Lite on tap for this guy.

Tequilla Sunrise if we're down double digits.   with the umbrella.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 08:10:22 PM »
Ever hear of High Life Lite or MGD Lite? I don't think they even sell either outside of the State of Wisconsin.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 08:11:08 PM »
Sprecher.

Spent a week there for a tour one Saturday afternoon.  Tour took 20 minutes.  They left us alone in the tasting room for three hours.   ;D ;D ;D

Made our way to Zur Kronne's (sp?) for a boot or two of Germany's finest.  Wow, what a day!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 08:14:12 PM by real chili 83 »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 08:22:07 PM »
As a UConn fan who drinks heavily during games, I need to know if there is an appropriate beer.

For UConn, for some reason, that is Rolling Rock.  It's pretty awful, but its been that way since before the first title.

Is there a Marquette beer that brings good luck and helps the mojo?  If so I would like to partake, and also bring back to the Boneyard since they're debating Miller High Life or Pabst. 

Don't listen to these guys.  Anyone who suggests anything Miller related and is from WI and likes beer at all should be taken out back and shot.

That said, there are hundreds of breweries from Wisconsin...

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 08:23:43 PM »
Back when I was in school it was always Miller.  When I go to Sox games, it's still MGD (not Lite thought).  I really like New Glarus Spotted Cow, though.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 08:28:11 PM »
I'm gonna venture a guess the majority of MU fans at Bradley Center games are drinking a Miller product.

schubert33

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 08:38:22 PM »
Ever hear of High Life Lite or MGD Lite? I don't think they even sell either outside of the State of Wisconsin.

I'm pretty sure they don't make MGD Lt anymore period.  I think that transitioned into MGD 64, but I could be wrong.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 08:41:36 PM »
Don't listen to these guys.  Anyone who suggests anything Miller related and is from WI and likes beer at all should be taken out back and shot.

That said, there are hundreds of breweries from Wisconsin...

Proud son of a brewery worker.  But no.  There are probably 100 breweries in Wisconsin.
Ludum habemus.

willie99

• Walk-On
we're having a discussion in the Boneyard about what Milwaukee beer
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 08:43:46 PM »

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 08:44:50 PM »

To answer your question, Miller-Coors products are ubiquitous in the cheese state, so you can't do wrong drinking any of those . . . however, some of us have slightly more discerning tastes (nod to hardsalumni) and would probably prefer one (maybe two) craft brews.  Don't forget Leinenkugel is owned my Miller-Coors :)  

Locally -- we have New Glarus (spotted cow, brown squirrel, moon man IPA) but I am not sure if they distribute to New England.

Lakefront Brewery -- also unsure of how far they distribute.

Sprecher Brewery of course (if you are into heavy, authentic German brews, probably best known for their Amber (??))

and lastly, Milwaukee Brewing Company.  If you can manage to get your hands on any of these, hey, we appreciate the support of our craft brewers!

and these are just a sampling of the most popular and/or local state micro/craft breweries, there are BUNCH more out there for the discovering.

I guess the bottom line is avoid Anheuser!!

Warriors4ever

• All American
Re: we're having a discussion in the Boneyard about what Milwaukee beer
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 08:48:32 PM »
We're having this discussion already in another thread on MUScoop at the request of one of your compatriots.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member

Warriors4ever

• All American
Re: we're having a discussion in the Boneyard about what Milwaukee beer
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 08:51:17 PM »
Thanks Skat.  My tech abilities are limited.

LON

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2012, 08:51:18 PM »
I like Leinenkugels (especially their Oktoberfest), but not that fruity crap they put out.  But if we are talking pure volume you can keep it classy with MGD/High Life/PBR bottles.  Or if you want to get straight-up sh*t-housed you can grab some Steel Reserve, aka, Bum Juice.  I would not recommend it though.

I'm sure someone will crap on Leinenkugels, but it is quality beer and easy on the wallet.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2012, 08:55:37 PM »
High Volume - Milwaukee's Best Light - it's the old Miller Lite recipe from 7+ years ago and it's really cheap
Hipster Beer - Pabst - still a high volume beer, but you can wear black rimmed glasses while drinking it

I usually drink Smithwick's, though.

The Milwaukee way of drinking is to get drunk nice and early and then stay drunk as long as possible.  This is beer-brand independent.

tzznandrew

• Walk-On
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2012, 08:58:32 PM »
I like Leinenkugels (especially their Oktoberfest), but not that fruity crap they put out.  But if we are talking pure volume you can keep it classy with MGD/High Life/PBR bottles.  Or if you want to get straight-up sh*t-housed you can grab some Steel Reserve, aka, Bum Juice.  I would not recommend it though.

I'm sure someone will crap on Leinenkugels, but it is quality beer and easy on the wallet.

I'm with you.  Their Octoberfest is pretty good, but their Sunset Wheat and stuff is pretty awful (although I'm not particularly partial to Hefeweizens or Witbeirs anyway).

Unfortunately, some of the more local brews you're all mentioning aren't available in NE.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2012, 09:03:00 PM »
Don't forget Schlitz.  Since they went back to the original 1960's recipe it's pretty tasty for a macrobrew.  And it's classic Milwaukee.  It's The Beer That Made Milwaukee Famous, after all.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2012, 09:06:21 PM »
I'm with you.  Their Octoberfest is pretty good, but their Sunset Wheat and stuff is pretty awful (although I'm not particularly partial to Hefeweizens or Witbeirs anyway).

Unfortunately, some of the more local brews you're all mentioning aren't available in NE.

Lakefront has a distributor in CT, it seems:
http://www.lakefrontbrewery.com/national_distributors.html

Franklin Distributors
P.O. Box 616
South Windsor, CT 06074
Street View
Zoom  Directions

So ask 'em to start stocking some wheat monkey, fixed gear, & riverwest stein!

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2012, 09:07:54 PM »
Don't forget Schlitz.  Since they went back to the original 1960's recipe it's pretty tasty for a macrobrew.  And it's classic Milwaukee.  It's The Beer That Made Milwaukee Famous, after all.

Oh Schlitz malt liquor if you're thinking about having a 40oz party :D

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZCm07WceaQw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ZCm07WceaQw</a>

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2012, 09:11:16 PM »
I think that may have been Marquette's '77 team in that Schlitz Malt Liquor commercial...
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2012, 09:17:20 PM »
I think that may have been Marquette's '77 team in that Schlitz Malt Liquor commercial...

Heh, that was actually "The Lockers" http://www.thelockersdance.com/main.html

LON

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2012, 09:20:13 PM »
Heh, that was actually "The Lockers" http://www.thelockersdance.com/main.html

Either way, spectacular video find.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2012, 09:59:48 PM »
Huber returnables. $2.75 a case. I repeat. Returnables.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2012, 10:24:57 PM »
Just my personal preference, but this,

and this,

and this.

feedback