'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 06:02:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:43:38 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 04:49:54 PM]

Banquet by rocky_warrior
[Today at 04:25:47 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz and the Illini  (Read 18301 times)

Avenue Commons

• All American
Re: Buzz and the Illini
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2012, 06:17:30 PM »
Someone's head should be on the block if his buyout is really only $100,000.
That is not true. Info in there is wrong. Buzz's contract protects Buzz and Marquette if he leaves. MQ is determined not to go thru another TC situation.
We Are Marquette

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2012, 06:18:46 PM »
Have you seen Pilarz with Buzz? The two appear to be very close, and Williams and Buzz were seen high fiving each other and looking very pleased with one another at more than a couple of games this year. Unless you wanna come out and prove what youre saying is true don't do the same thing this reporter is doing and make crap up

That doesn't mean anything.  No one knows.  All speculation.  Husbands tell their wives they love them and later that day they're banging the secretary.  What someone says or acts in public doesn't mean shinola.  Whether his wife loves Milwaukee or the kids do, whatever, no one knows.  This is the annual "Oh crap we are going to lose our coach" BS that we bring upon ourselves.  Have some confidence. The last guy stayed 9 years.  Buzz has said something to the effect he will stay as long as we want him.  All you can do is take him at his word.  If he leaves, then he broke his word and you find another coach.

Phoenix, Thursday. Florida. Gators.  Concentrate.  Have. Fun.
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2012, 06:19:06 PM »
Dude, it's not me. This is commonly known. Doesn't mean Buzz will bolt, but appearances and words don't always tell the story. Like Buzz says, "you don't mess with happy."
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2012, 06:19:17 PM »
Texas is the job I'd be worried about.    

And it seems Pilarz was itching to get Cottingham out.   Hope that doesn't backfire.

Doris Burkes Thong

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2012, 06:20:25 PM »
The one thing that may have pissed off Buzz was the fact they didn't make Broeker the AD and hired someone from outside. Buzz and Broeker are tight and Buzz prolly didn't like it and took it as a slap in the face.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2012, 06:21:14 PM »
Texas is the job I'd be worried about.    

And it seems Pilarz was itching to get Cottingham out.   Hope that doesn't backfire.

Cottingham had to go.  That whole thing was an embarrassment for the brass at MU and many alumni.  Posters here keep burying it like it was no big deal, but the school doesn't like seeing itself on the front pages of the Chicago Tribune multiple times for that kind of issue.  He had to go.
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2012, 06:22:06 PM »
The one thing that may have pissed off Buzz was the fact they didn't make Broeker the AD and hired someone from outside. Buzz and Broeker are tight and Buzz prolly didn't like it and took it as a slap in the face.
I have heard Broeker likes Larry Williams and is happy.  He wanted it, yes, but is fine with the hiring of Williams.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2012, 06:22:50 PM »
Think back to Buzz' Bar-B-Q. And, if anyone questions the coincidence of player suspensions this season, they're really nuts.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 06:24:56 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2012, 06:23:44 PM »
Somebody had to take the fall in that situation, no one knows what happened in Zilber hall last year. Decisions were made, and none of us know what happened unless you guys are in the president's office or any of the offices in Zilber we will just never know the whole story with any of this. And Broeker is still very prominent in the athletics office, the difference between an athletic director that can also serve as a VP and is as qualified as Williams is vs. Broeker is a huge one. Buzz  doesn't make that decision. I guarantee Mike Broeker is fine with how this turned out he is a stand up guy.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2012, 06:24:04 PM »

Considering what happened with the sexual assault stuff and the perception publicly, no way Broeker was going to get the job.  No one internally was going to get the gig.  Public Relations 101.  It might be unfair but that is how the world works.  Broeker stayed, so that is a good thing.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2012, 06:25:11 PM »
Cottingham had to go.  That whole thing was an embarrassment for the brass at MU and many alumni.  Posters here keep burying it like it was no big deal, but the school doesn't like seeing itself on the front pages of the Chicago Tribune multiple times for that kind of issue.  He had to go.

No he really didn't.  The same situation happened at Notre Dame a few months before and the AD was supported while policy changes were implemented.    

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2012, 06:26:53 PM »
The difference there was that the issue was silenced much more quickly at Notre Dame, and charges never got as far as they did at Marquette. Those 2 situations were very different from one another.

jeffreyweee

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2012, 06:28:20 PM »
Think back to Buzz' Bar-B-Q. And, if anyone questions the coincidence of player suspensions this season, they're really nuts.

Think back to Buzz walking it out.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2012, 06:30:13 PM »
No he really didn't.  The same situation happened at Notre Dame a few months before and the AD was supported while policy changes were implemented.    

Notre Dame broke state law a few months before and the AD was the one that put in place the guidelines at Notre Dame when he was General Counsel at ND prior to becoming AD?   No. No. No. 

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2012, 06:31:12 PM »
I guarantee that not all of those suspensions were tied to anything from last year, he was told to run a tighter program and has been praised for suspending players by most people...Todd Mayo wasn't here last year so explain what you mean by the coincidence of player suspensions. These suspensions were most likely for minor violations of rules.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2012, 06:31:42 PM »
Notre Dame broke state law a few months before and the AD was the one that put in place the guidelines at Notre Dame when he was General Counsel at ND prior to becoming AD?   No. No. No. 

You really know your stuff hoopaloop...spot on right there.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2012, 06:32:05 PM »
Think back to Buzz' Bar-B-Q.

Wasn't there.  Meaning?

JTBMU7

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2012, 06:32:20 PM »
please god, make it stop...

we have a S16 matchup on thursday with FL, let's focus on that and enjoy the week instead of this garbage.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2012, 06:32:42 PM »
It was very similar.  ND didn't report to the accusation of sexual assault to St Joes' County PD until 2.5 months later. And it wasnt silenced quickly at all.  The Tribune kept that story going for longer than MU's.  The Dept. of Educ. also investigated ND and they made "reforms" like us.   Only difference is Swarbrick was not made a scapegoat, Cottingham was.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2012, 06:33:13 PM »
Who's heads will roll if it comes out Buzz leaves b/c he wasn't happy anymore?

No ones.  Are you new to how Marquette operates???

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2012, 06:33:45 PM »
Didn't say this season's suspensions were dished out as a direct response to the alleged assault. But yes, the reins were tightened
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2012, 06:33:55 PM »
Notre Dame broke state law a few months before and the AD was the one that put in place the guidelines at Notre Dame when he was General Counsel at ND prior to becoming AD?   No. No. No.  

Yes, it would be more accurate to say that he was fired due to his actions as General Counsel and not as AD.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2012, 06:34:14 PM »
Yep.  That was his downfall.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2012, 06:35:24 PM »
It doesn't matter what we focus on on this board what we say on a board won't affect player preparation, nothing wrong with talking about things. I thing the main distinction with Swarbrick was that he wasn't in charge of the poor policies at ND where Cottingham was. Cottingham wasn't the only one who took a fall because of the issue. The reigns needed to be tightened, they were tightened and Buzz got a raise from all this....Don't see how his happiness was compromised.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2012, 06:36:05 PM »
It was very similar.  ND didn't report to the accusation of sexual assault to St Joes' County PD until 2.5 months later. And it wasnt silenced quickly at all.  The Tribune kept that story going for longer than MU's.  The Dept. of Educ. also investigated ND and they made "reforms" like us.   Only difference is Swarbrick was not made a scapegoat, Cottingham was.

Swarbrick did not institute the university policy like Cottingham did as General Counsel prior to him becoming AD.  That is a monumental difference.  The general perception is that MU did not comply with state law.  Father Wild said things would change. Pilarz said the same thing.  The person behind the policy was Cottingham who later was the AD where some of these incidents happened.  How could he have been spared?  There is no way.  Either was General Counsel or as AD, he was gone.

feedback