Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: mizzou's conference title  (Read 8424 times)

MU82

• All American
mizzou's conference title
« on: March 18, 2012, 05:32:14 PM »
I wonder if Missouri fans are so happy with their team's championship in its final Big 12 tourney that they wouldn't trade places with Marquette and other Sweet 16 teams.

And I wonder if those Marquetters who said they would rather have had a Big East tourney title than a run to the Sweet 16 (and beyond!) are still moping.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muguru

• All American
Re: mizzou's conference title
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 05:34:56 PM »
I wonder if Missouri fans are so happy with their team's championship in its final Big 12 tourney that they wouldn't trade places with Marquette and other Sweet 16 teams.

And I wonder if those Marquetters who said they would rather have had a Big East tourney title than a run to the Sweet 16 (and beyond!) are still moping.

I don't know, Badger fans will always tell you what happens during the regular season is better because it shows a consistency. Whatever.  ::)
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 06:01:39 PM »

I'm hopeful for what we can get, but I want a banner. I want as much Jae and DJO as we can get, but I want them to hang something. Anything less than a Final Four and I'll honestly be disappointed, and I'm not even sure that would really leave me as satisfied as I would have been with a Big East title.

Now if we win a game in April...
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 06:14:57 PM »
I don't know, Badger fans will always tell you what happens during the regular season is better because it shows a consistency. Whatever.  ::)

The Badgers seem to do well in both.  Regular season and post season.
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 07:28:20 PM »

You are a joke. Everything, in passive aggressive fashion, intended to get a rise out of people. Pathetic. Ignored.

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 08:05:46 PM »
Seriously, I wish you would tell us what your problem is with Marquette.   And don't give us the "I'm just not a Kool Aid drinker"  defense.  There are many on this board that disagree with parts of whatever MU does, without being passive agressive. 

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 08:10:43 PM »
You are a joke. Everything, in passive aggressive fashion, intended to get a rise out of people. Pathetic. Ignored.

Agreed.  Ignored.

To the mods:  The "Ignore" button is an excellent feature.  Well done. 
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 08:11:59 PM »
I'm hopeful for what we can get, but I want a banner. I want as much Jae and DJO as we can get, but I want them to hang something. Anything less than a Final Four and I'll honestly be disappointed, and I'm not even sure that would really leave me as satisfied as I would have been with a Big East title.

Now if we win a game in April...

I know we don't get a banner for getting far in the NCAA tournament but to me these games are so much more exciting than the Big East tournament.  I know it's mainly the atmosphere and the reputation, but it is what it is.  The BE tournament is super difficult but just doesn't have that same feeling as the NCAAs.

tzznandrew

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 09:06:05 PM »

I think there is something valuable about the regular season, and it provides a good ride.

But ask me if I would trade last years Championship season (despite 9-9 regular season) or 2009's Final Four (despite first round BET exit) for Ray Allen 17-1 BE Regular Season and Post Season Championships (only to lose in the S16), and I would laugh in your face. 

The 1996 season was awesome to watch, but all good stories need great endings otherwise they're spoiled.

I can't even fathom the depths of despair Mizzou fans are feeling.

They tried their best and failed miserably.  The lesson is: never try.  :)

Go Warriors!

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 09:15:08 PM »
I think there is something valuable about the regular season, and it provides a good ride.

But ask me if I would trade last years Championship season (despite 9-9 regular season) or 2009's Final Four (despite first round BET exit) for Ray Allen 17-1 BE Regular Season and Post Season Championships (only to lose in the S16), and I would laugh in your face. 

The 1996 season was awesome to watch, but all good stories need great endings otherwise they're spoiled.

I can't even fathom the depths of despair Mizzou fans are feeling.

They tried their best and failed miserably.  The lesson is: never try.  :)

Go Warriors!

As a Marquette fan you can no longer feel bad for Mizzou.  They bounced us from the tournament the year that our team shaved their heads... friggin Lazar Hayward stepping on the baseline during an inbounds play.  One of Mizzou's players got "hurt" on a foul, so they put in Kim English to shoot his throws and then the guy came right back in to play the rest of the game!  Not many teams can say the NCAA changed a rule because their team got fracked over at the end of a tourney game :P

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/pnz3441rX4s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/pnz3441rX4s</a>

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 09:24:10 PM »

Sort of sorry to leave you, Chicos.  I've enjoyed your ofttime's comments about your family life/religious sensibilities out in CA, but  am very tired of your constant baiting.  What's the point? Why not celebrate MU's successes, man? Pressing the IGNORE button.
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 01:45:27 AM »
Sort of sorry to leave you, Chicos.  I've enjoyed your ofttime's comments about your family life/religious sensibilities out in CA, but  am very tired of your constant baiting.  What's the point? Why not celebrate MU's successes, man? Pressing the IGNORE button.

Not Chicos.  Tired of the accusations.  Joined Scoop long before he was banned.  He still reads the board from time to time I understand. You should send him a note, he would likely appreciate your kind thoughts.

I am celebrating MU's victory.  Who says I'm not?  Muguru made a statement that was bizarre in the face of the evidence.  Wisconsin is a rival, but that doesn't mean we should say things that are wrong.  All I said was Wisconsin has had success in the regular season and post season of late, despite Muguru's comments to the contrary.  I make a correct statement and the attacks come?  I want Syracuse to pulverize them this week.

I have no ill will toward Marquette and do not understand Ringout's comments at all.  We're in the Sweet 16. We have a fantastic coach at the helm.  What is there not to be happy about? 
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 02:24:54 AM »
Not Chicos.  Tired of the accusations.  Joined Scoop long before he was banned.  He still reads the board from time to time I understand. You should send him a note, he would likely appreciate your kind thoughts.

I am celebrating MU's victory.  Who says I'm not?  Muguru made a statement that was bizarre in the face of the evidence.  Wisconsin is a rival, but that doesn't mean we should say things that are wrong.  All I said was Wisconsin has had success in the regular season and post season of late, despite Muguru's comments to the contrary.  I make a correct statement and the attacks come?  I want Syracuse to pulverize them this week.

I have no ill will toward Marquette and do not understand Ringout's comments at all.  We're in the Sweet 16. We have a fantastic coach at the helm.  What is there not to be happy about? 

What do you define as "doing well in the postseason"? I would argue that Wisconsin has been a consistent disappointment in the postseason. Four of the past five years they have lost to a team seeded lower than them. Davidson, Cornell, Butler, UNLV. The only exception was Xavier the year UW earned a 12 seed. The bracket consistently has opened up for them and they have consistently failed to take advantage.

Now getting to the postseason is another story. They are one of the best in the business at regular season hoops.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 09:44:03 AM »
Best in the conference vs best in the nation.  I'll take the national stage. 
Neither is a small feat and I'd gladly take either one.

(plus it probably helps Marquette's recruiting)
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 10:58:48 AM »
I don't often agree with Bobby Knight, but he thinks the very idea of any conference tournament is stupid because it severely diminishes all a team has accomplished over two months of wars ... and it's hard to argue with him.

If there are 5 Mizzou fans in all of Mizzou Nation who wouldn't trade that Big 12 tourney title to have not been embarrassed by losing to a 15-seed just a few days later, I'd love to hear who they are.

Vandy and Florida State weren't embarrassed in the NCAAs, but I'm guessing that the vast majority of their fans also would much prefer being where Wisconsin and Cinci (and Marquette) are today than being proud possessors of a conference banner.

Not saying they are mutually exclusive -- teams often do win conference tourneys and make long NCAA runs -- but this fan joins the millions of others who would choose an NCAA run over a conference banner.

Marquette's loss to Louisville is a distant, distant memory of a meaningless loss in a meaningless game.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 12:44:50 PM »
I would like to see MU do better in NYC, but not at the expense of tourney success.  I think I would just about equate a BET win with a Sweet 16 loss.  An Elite Eight or better would be better than a BET win.  Sweet 16 is an accomplishment no doubt, but the BET win would be too.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2012, 12:51:57 PM »

I still don't think you get it.  When all is said and done, some of us would rather have a BET championship than a Sweet 16 run.  Of course we're happier right now because we're still alive.  But if we lose to Florida, I would say I'd rather have won the BET and lost to Murray State than I would to get bounced in round 1 of the BET and lose in the Sweet 16.

Nobody said they would prefer a BET to a Final Four.  A championship of some kind has value to me as a fan.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2012, 12:54:55 PM »
I would like to see MU do better in NYC, but not at the expense of tourney success.  I think I would just about equate a BET win with a Sweet 16 loss.  An Elite Eight or better would be better than a BET win.  Sweet 16 is an accomplishment no doubt, but the BET win would be too.

Success in the Big East tournament does not in any way cause difficulty in the NCAAs.  It only enhances your NCAA chances as your seed will improve.  Cincy and Louisville certainly aren't suffering from the runs in the BET.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Real Chilly Podcast

• Starter
  • whassup marquette whassuuup?
    • Real Chilly Podcast
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2012, 01:03:26 PM »
I don't often agree with Bobby Knight, but he thinks the very idea of any conference tournament is stupid because it severely diminishes all a team has accomplished over two months of wars ... and it's hard to argue with him.

If there are 5 Mizzou fans in all of Mizzou Nation who wouldn't trade that Big 12 tourney title to have not been embarrassed by losing to a 15-seed just a few days later, I'd love to hear who they are.

Vandy and Florida State weren't embarrassed in the NCAAs, but I'm guessing that the vast majority of their fans also would much prefer being where Wisconsin and Cinci (and Marquette) are today than being proud possessors of a conference banner.

Not saying they are mutually exclusive -- teams often do win conference tourneys and make long NCAA runs -- but this fan joins the millions of others who would choose an NCAA run over a conference banner.

Marquette's loss to Louisville is a distant, distant memory of a meaningless loss in a meaningless game.

got some close friends that are FSU fans. they were concerned about the Cinci matchup coming in and were not too let down by the loss.  I think the FSU situation is the most likely to prefer keep the ACC Championship over S16.  Beating Duke and UNC back to back to claim a title is EPIC (especially for a program just building up its NCAAB history/tradition).  The ACC title was huge for them on so many levels. Recruiting, establishing themselves as consistent ACC title contenders, and staking a claim before Cuse and Pitt crash the party.
Listen to the Real Chilly Podcast on SoundCloud, iTunes, or Youtube.

Follow our twitter: @RealChillyPod

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2012, 01:28:46 PM »
I should clarify something. I'm not claiming I wouldn't have liked to have won the BET. Nor am I saying winning the BET would deter a team from doing well in the NCAAs.

My point is that, in my year or so reading this board, I'm not sure I had seen so many people so unnecessarily depressed about a loss as after that Louisville game. People actually saying it ruined the season for them. People actually saying that if MU doesn't win the national championship, the season will have been a waste. It was ridiculous.

Again, Mizzou would trade places with us in a second. And there probably isn't a single Kentucky or Kansas or Syracuse fan losing sleep and saying: "Being in contention for a national title is OK, but I sure do wish we had won our conference tourney."

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2012, 01:45:29 PM »
got some close friends that are FSU fans. they were concerned about the Cinci matchup coming in and were not too let down by the loss.  I think the FSU situation is the most likely to prefer keep the ACC Championship over S16.  Beating Duke and UNC back to back to claim a title is EPIC (especially for a program just building up its NCAAB history/tradition).  The ACC title was huge for them on so many levels. Recruiting, establishing themselves as consistent ACC title contenders, and staking a claim before Cuse and Pitt crash the party.

It's all about expectations. Right now, Marquette's NCAA Tournament success is more important that the BET and it's not even close. For Florida State, winning a conf tourney over Duke and UNC probably means more to the fanbase than a Sweet 16 appearance would have.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2012, 01:45:56 PM »
I should clarify something. I'm not claiming I wouldn't have liked to have won the BET. Nor am I saying winning the BET would deter a team from doing well in the NCAAs.

My point is that, in my year or so reading this board, I'm not sure I had seen so many people so unnecessarily depressed about a loss as after that Louisville game. People actually saying it ruined the season for them. People actually saying that if MU doesn't win the national championship, the season will have been a waste. It was ridiculous.

Again, Mizzou would trade places with us in a second. And there probably isn't a single Kentucky or Kansas or Syracuse fan losing sleep and saying: "Being in contention for a national title is OK, but I sure do wish we had won our conference tourney."
This

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2012, 01:59:14 PM »

He studied at the feet of the master.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2012, 02:17:05 PM »
Success in the Big East tournament does not in any way cause difficulty in the NCAAs.  It only enhances your NCAA chances as your seed will improve.  Cincy and Louisville certainly aren't suffering from the runs in the BET.
Poorly worded I guess.  I meant to say what you said one above this.

slingkong

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2012, 07:43:57 AM »

In my experience, Mizzou fans aren't that bright so I don't think you'd have to search very hard for those 5 people.

feedback