[Today at 09:54:20 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PointWarrior
[Today at 12:57:23 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Crean to Florida!!  (Read 5358 times)

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
Crean to Florida!!
« on: May 31, 2007, 05:53:39 PM »
 ;D

Donovan to Orlando Magic!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2888555

Just wanted to be the first to post the rumor...

Crean to Florida!

"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

muwarrior87

• All American
Re: Crean to Florida!!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 07:24:32 PM »
not needed

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 07:24:57 PM »
anthony grant

sauby20000

• Walk-On
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 07:35:39 PM »
Would u blame Crean if FL wanted him?? It is a bigger program than MU ever will be

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 07:39:26 PM »
no, i would not blame Crean for FL wanting him. I'm simply saying he has a real good thing going for him now and really, really big shoes to fill if he would go to FL...and this early after Donovan takes the Magic job is not time to start throwing around more "Crean is outta here" rumors.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 07:43:16 PM »
TIme out.

Florida was NOTHING until Donovan. Nothing. MU is in a tougher/better conference (or at least, it's equivalent), UF is a football school, and UF just lost their entire starting lineup. I think Crean would be better off staying at MU over Florida. I see that job as a lateral move, and not necessarily a step up.

So, other than money, why make a lateral?

Then again, if he went to UF, think of the money he'd save at the tanning booth.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 07:45:13 PM »
valid point niv.

sauby20000

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 07:47:57 PM »
Nice tanning joke! Now ya gotta bust out the unfrozen caveman coach stuff!!! And sorry to say, since Donovan did what he did at UF, it is more of a job people would want to have over coaching at MU

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 07:50:44 PM »
Not when he's losing his entire team it's not.

For a new coach to go in there now, you are totally starting over. The program could lose recruits as a result of the coach leaving too. So, in essence, Crean would be right back where he was when he took the MU job...only with millions more in his bank account.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 07:54:51 PM »
TIme out.

Florida was NOTHING until Donovan. Nothing. MU is in a tougher/better conference (or at least, it's equivalent), UF is a football school, and UF just lost their entire starting lineup. I think Crean would be better off staying at MU over Florida. I see that job as a lateral move, and not necessarily a step up.

Then again, if he went to UF, think of the money he'd save at the tanning booth.

Which is it, tougher or better or equivalent? That is a George Bush response. BTW, Florida had succes before Billy. Go back a few years, you will see.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 07:55:17 PM »
Anthony Grant from Vandy seems like the perfect hire. Or at least, he'd be my option #1. Plus, you know Grant will get Donovan's blessing (not that it matters a ton, but I think Grant will get this gig).

Regardless, it totally sucks for college hoops to have this happen at such a late juncture. And again, it points to the hypocrisy of the NCAA regarding allowing players to transfer vs. allowing coaches to bolt at any reason w/no penalties whatsoever.

Now, you are going to have at least two, maybe three schools all w/out DI coaches and it's friggin' June. Terrible timing.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 07:57:30 PM »
TIme out.

Which is it, tougher or better or equivalent? That is a George Bush response. BTW, Florida had succes before Billy. Go back a few years, you will see.

I think tougher/better are equivalent when it comes to the B.East and SEC. That's all I meant.

By making the cop-out it's at least an "equivalent" job, I did that so as not to spurn an entire chain of emails comparing every MU vs. UF stat proving which job is better.

I'll stand on record and say MU is a better job and that the B.East is a better AND tougher conference. We'll see what Tom thinks.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2007, 08:34:45 PM »
Is that why he's down there with DJ in Orlando?

HmMMMMMMMMMMMM?!?  ???
SS Marquette

tonyreeder

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2007, 08:34:08 AM »
Lon Kruger took Florida to the Final Four so it wasn't exactly nothing before Donovan.

sailwi

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2007, 09:49:04 AM »
Anthony Grant is at Virginia Commonwealth U (VCU) not Vandy (Vanderbilt), either way let's hope he is choice #1 and not you know who.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2007, 10:24:08 AM »
Lon Kruger took Florida to the Final Four so it wasn't exactly nothing before Donovan.

And lest we forget, pre-Donovan Florida also produced the greatest mullet-headed baller of all time: Dwayne Schintzius.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2007, 11:03:15 AM »
Well, I hope Crean is able and is fast enough to swoop in on a couple of Donovan's 5-star 2008 prospects, like JaMychal Green, Kenny Kadji, Michael Dunigan, et. al. 

Heck, I would be happy get perhaps one of the 4-star guys that had been interested in attending FLA for 2008.  The problem I see is, Donovan was simply in another league as to having access to top recruits.  There are few if any on the FLA lists that were even considering MU.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2007, 11:15:32 AM »

Heck, I would be happy get perhaps one of the 4-star guys that had been interested in attending FLA for 2008.  The problem I see is, Donovan was simply in another league as to having access to top recruits.  There are few if any on the FLA lists that were even considering MU.

We have one... Trevor Mbakwe chose MU over Florida.
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2007, 11:21:12 AM »
Dear Lord that's gruesome.  I just almost puked all over my keyboard at work.  I've always wondered how you end up with a mullet.  Do you literally walk in to the barber, sit in the chair, and say, "Give me a mullet?"  Or do you say, "Business in front, party in the back?"  And as a barber, are you obliged under the Barber's Code of Ethics to object at least three times, then give a minimum three-minute lecture on the detrimental side-effects associated with leaving your house with a mullet?

I've honestly always wondered this.  If anyone has ever went to a barber and walked away with a mullet, please inform me of the process.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2007, 11:23:40 AM »

We have one... Trevor Mbakwe chose MU over Florida.

Is Trevor in the class of 2008?

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2007, 12:58:49 PM »
"Marquette coach Tom Crean and Villanova coach Jay Wright also could surface as potential candidates.

"Florida has always been an excellent job," Crean said Thursday at the NBA draft combine in Orlando. "(But) I'm happy at Marquette." "

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2007, 01:16:22 PM »
"Marquette coach Tom Crean and Villanova coach Jay Wright also could surface as potential candidates.

"Florida has always been an excellent job," Crean said Thursday at the NBA draft combine in Orlando. "(But) I'm happy at Marquette." "

You missed the best part of the interview.

"I think Florida has always been an excellent job," he said. "Norm Sloan won there. Lon Kruger won there. Billy Donovan kept taking it to greater heights. It's always been one of those great jobs. It's one of the great positions in basketball. But there are some. I feel like I've got one, too."

http://www.gainesville.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070601/GATORS02/706010341/-1/sports

dennycrane

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2007, 09:55:01 AM »

I see that job as a lateral move, and not necessarily a step up.

You have to be kidding?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2007, 02:22:39 PM »

I see that job as a lateral move, and not necessarily a step up.

You have to be kidding?

The problem I see is simple. Who in their right mind would want to follow Donovan coming off 2 national titles?  Whomever it is, will be run out of town by year 5 if they don't win another...a Final Four won't even be good enough.

That alone makes it a less attractive job because of the insane expectations.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2007, 03:33:09 PM »
Spot on, Chico.  Let us assume for the sake of argument that TC goes to Fla, goes to the tourney 8 straight years with one final 4 and 3 sweet 16's.   Because of BD, they will want his head on a platter and his heart on a spit.   It is nearly always impossible to follow a legend.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.