Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Murray St Thoughts  (Read 8384 times)

icheights

• Starter
Re: Murray St Thoughts
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2012, 10:06:21 AM »
I really think that if you think this Marquette team plays worse with Cadougan on the court either:

a.) you know absolutely nothing about basketball
b.) you are not watching the games and are only looking at the box score or are too drunk during the games to really see what is going on

Marquette plays an up tempo style of play where Cadougan is asked to push push push and force plays down the court before the other teams defense can set up...this style of play leaves little room for error and is much more turnover liable...Cadougan is out there trying to make plays and yes he turns the ball over more than I would like him to but to call him a liability or to say we are worse with him on the court is just down right ignorant.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2012, 10:17:02 AM »
I really think that if you think this Marquette team plays worse with Cadougan on the court either:

a.) you know absolutely nothing about basketball
b.) you are not watching the games and are only looking at the box score or are too drunk during the games to really see what is going on

Can it be true that Cadougan is not very good but the players we have to replace him are significantly worse?  I agree that we are much better when he is on the floor, but that can be do to the fact that we don't have a serviceable replacement.  

I think that while his handle and decision making aren't always the best, Cadougan is a competent, middle-of the-pack high-major college PG.  We have been spoiled over the years by the likes of Miller, Hutchins, Henry, Diener, James, etc.  I think unfortunately that DJO, D Wilson, Mayo and Blue are not ready to play PG at anything close to to Junior's level, so we struggle when he sits, but that doesn't make him John Stockton or something.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 10:22:50 AM by CTWarrior »
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

JTBMU7

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2012, 10:18:25 AM »
rebounding will be the key. get second chance points, draw fouls (love to see some more Devante "and-one's"), and limit their 3's, and this should be a win.

If we let them get rolling from 3 and get the crowd into it we could be in for a long day/early exit.

* one questions, does anyone know if MSU compare to any teams in the Big East as far as style of play, stats, matchups, etc?

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2012, 10:18:33 AM »
It's true that Cadougan is clearly our best option at point guard.  However, the PG position is not a strength for Marquette.

JC was thoroughly dominated by Peyton Siva at both ends.  He does a pretty good job of running the offense and getting out in transition, but is not a threat to score in any context, not a good FT shooter and is an average defender at best.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2012, 10:20:13 AM »
Murray State is ranked 285 at 35.1% and MU is 308 at 35.9%

Bob,

Thanks.  Confirms my theory that we should do quite well offensive rebounding versus them.  I am not so sure despite our rank they will do as well against us.  At least if we don't shoot great this game we can make some of it up getting second chances.

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2012, 10:20:28 AM »
Hopefully we can cut off the head of the snake like we did against Xavier.

+1. As Cannon goes, so too do the Racers.  I'm hoping that Blue zips 'em up.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2012, 10:34:26 AM »
Ignore feature works wonders.  I ignore two posters on this board and GOMU85 is one of them.  Well worth it.

Here-here!
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2012, 10:37:48 AM »

After the UL game, Buzz admitted his game plan was wrong.  I think he realized pressing Louisville was foolish and defensively putting Cadougan on Siva was a mistake.  I actually think he will slow this game down and use the height on the inside.

Who guarded Siva the first time we played them?  Siva only scored 2 points in Milwaukee.

Junior runs into trouble when he starts throwing the ball away too much. 

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2012, 10:42:42 AM »
Who guarded Siva the first time we played them?  Siva only scored 2 points in Milwaukee.

I think Junior is the key to the entire game. 

Protect the ball equals victory.  Period.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2012, 10:43:53 AM »
I think it will be a combination of Blue, Mayo, Derrick Wilson, and even some Jamil Wilson on Canaan.  I hope (and somewhat expect) Canaan is reduced to tears in his post game presser a la Tu Holloway last year.   :'(

There's a big reason Tu Holloway was reduced to tears last year .....and his name is JFB.

Blue, Mayo, D. Wilson or J. Wilson have to go some to become the lockdown defender that Jimmy was/is.  Can they do a sufficient job on him tomorrow?  Absolutely.  I agree with the poster who said someone may have to faceguard him 30 feet from the basket.  Don't even let him touch the ball.  Make the other 4 guys beat us.  Keep substituting the four mentioned on him, wear him out and don't let him see the ball.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2012, 10:44:23 AM »
I think Junior is the key to the entire game. 

Protect the ball equals victory.  Period.
+1
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

GOMU85

• Starter
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2012, 10:57:26 AM »

Hahaha Siva isn't a scorer

GOMU85

• Starter
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2012, 10:58:59 AM »
Can it be true that Cadougan is not very good but the players we have to replace him are significantly worse?  I agree that we are much better when he is on the floor, but that can be do to the fact that we don't have a serviceable replacement.  

I think that while his handle and decision making aren't always the best, Cadougan is a competent, middle-of the-pack high-major college PG.  We have been spoiled over the years by the likes of Miller, Hutchins, Henry, Diener, James, etc.  I think unfortunately that DJO, D Wilson, Mayo and Blue are not ready to play PG at anything close to to Junior's level, so we struggle when he sits, but that doesn't make him John Stockton or something.

+10000

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2012, 11:02:01 AM »
I found it interesting at the press conference a few days ago, Buzz said (something to the effect of) Cadougan was the best PG he'd coached.  High praise for a guy who also coached Dom James.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • āœ… Verified Member
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2012, 11:05:35 AM »
Hahaha Siva isn't a scorer

He's been averaging about 15 a game since the BEast tourney started.  His scoring has been a key to their run.  Taking 10-11 shots a game instead of the 5 or 6 he was taking earlier this year.

Do you ever watch college basketball?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2012, 11:31:08 AM »
Team Rank: PPG - RPG - APG - FG% - SOS
Marquette: 31st - 102nd - 7th - 73rd - 17th
Murray St: 40th - 237th - 161st - 23rd - 158th
(I didn't think MU was going to meet a significantly worse rebounding team in the tournament, but there you go)

KenPom: adjOff - adjDef - adjTempo - Best Win - Worst Loss
Marquette: 27th - 20th - 15th - Wisconsin-a (#5) - LSU (#100)
Murray St: 74th - 27th - 183rd - Memphis-a (#9) - TN State-h (#168)
(Look for the transition game to be back in full force tomorrow)

Murray State Depth
8 players have played in all or all but one game this season. (Aska played in 26, but was injured for six of them)
Starting five (Canaan, Poole, Long, Aska, Daniel) account for 72% of the teams' minutes (143 of 200)
Most minutes off the bench: Mushatt (19 mpg) and Jackson (18.5 mpg)
(Probably will only go 7 deep vs. MU since Garrett was DNP and Wilson played only 7 mins. vs. Colorado St.)

Murray State "Size"
Nussman, fr, 6-9: Has played in 6 games this year, none since Feb 2
Garrett, so,  6-9: DNP vs. Colorado St; 7 points and 6 rebounds TOTAL (not per game) in past 9 games.  Has only played more than 8 minutes once in past 9 games.
Aska, sr, 6-7: Averaging 11 & 6 in 27 for the season.  6 & 8 in 31 vs. Colo St.  12 & 3 in 32 vs. Memphis.
Daniel, jr, 6-7: Averaging 7 & 5 in 23 for the season with 1.5 blocks and 3 fouls per game.  6 & 6 in 31 vs. Colo St.  13 & 9 in 27 vs. Memphis.  59% FT shooter.
(Their tallest "contributing" players are 6-7, and there's only two of them.)

Murray State Shooters
Canaan - 19 ppg, 48% from the floor.  Averages 3 makes on 6.5 attempts (46.4%) from downtown.  1.4/1 Assist to T/O ratio.
Poole - 14 ppg, 45% from the floor.  2.1 on 5.4 (39%) from downtown.  .83/1 ATO (that's bad).
Long - 8.5 ppg, 49% from the floor, 0.7 on 1.6 (44%) from downtown.  1.3/1 ATO
Aska, Daniel & Mushatt shoot over 40% from downtown, but not one averages more than 1 attempt per game.
(Not a very 3pt-dependent team, although Canaan is quite dangerous.)

Maybe it's just me, but I can't find anywhere where Murray State has a definite advantage over MU.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 11:33:00 AM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2012, 11:35:29 AM »
Maybe it's just me, but I can't find anywhere where Murray State has a definite advantage over MU.

Experience
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2012, 11:42:13 AM »
3 pt shooting.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2012, 11:43:32 AM »

"There's a big reason Tu Holloway was reduced to tears last year .....and his name is JFB. "

+1.   There's a reason he went in the first round, and it wasn't necessarily his offensive game.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 11:46:15 AM by nnovak8 »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2012, 11:49:17 AM »
Experience

Sure... it will be about as much of a factor in the first session as it will be in the second tomorrow.

3 pt shooting.

If comparing the teams independently, sure, but against MU specifically, I don't see that as an advantage.  Canaan is 6-0... you put someone 3-4 inches taller in his face (e.g. Blue or Mayo), and he might not hit a trey all game.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2012, 11:51:29 AM »
Team Rank: PPG - RPG - APG - FG% - SOS
Marquette: 31st - 102nd - 7th - 73rd - 17th
Murray St: 40th - 237th - 161st - 23rd - 158th
(I didn't think MU was going to meet a significantly worse rebounding team in the tournament, but there you go)

KenPom: adjOff - adjDef - adjTempo - Best Win - Worst Loss
Marquette: 27th - 20th - 15th - Wisconsin-a (#5) - LSU (#100)
Murray St: 74th - 27th - 183rd - Memphis-a (#9) - TN State-h (#168)
(Look for the transition game to be back in full force tomorrow)

Murray State Depth
8 players have played in all or all but one game this season. (Aska played in 26, but was injured for six of them)
Starting five (Canaan, Poole, Long, Aska, Daniel) account for 72% of the teams' minutes (143 of 200)
Most minutes off the bench: Mushatt (19 mpg) and Jackson (18.5 mpg)
(Probably will only go 7 deep vs. MU since Garrett was DNP and Wilson played only 7 mins. vs. Colorado St.)

Murray State "Size"
Nussman, fr, 6-9: Has played in 6 games this year, none since Feb 2
Garrett, so,  6-9: DNP vs. Colorado St; 7 points and 6 rebounds TOTAL (not per game) in past 9 games.  Has only played more than 8 minutes once in past 9 games.
Aska, sr, 6-7: Averaging 11 & 6 in 27 for the season.  6 & 8 in 31 vs. Colo St.  12 & 3 in 32 vs. Memphis.
Daniel, jr, 6-7: Averaging 7 & 5 in 23 for the season with 1.5 blocks and 3 fouls per game.  6 & 6 in 31 vs. Colo St.  13 & 9 in 27 vs. Memphis.  59% FT shooter.
(Their tallest "contributing" players are 6-7, and there's only two of them.)

Murray State Shooters
Canaan - 19 ppg, 48% from the floor.  Averages 3 makes on 6.5 attempts (46.4%) from downtown.  1.4/1 Assist to T/O ratio.
Poole - 14 ppg, 45% from the floor.  2.1 on 5.4 (39%) from downtown.  .83/1 ATO (that's bad).
Long - 8.5 ppg, 49% from the floor, 0.7 on 1.6 (44%) from downtown.  1.3/1 ATO
Aska, Daniel & Mushatt shoot over 40% from downtown, but not one averages more than 1 attempt per game.
(Not a very 3pt-dependent team, although Canaan is quite dangerous.)

Very nice summary, thanks for putting this together.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2012, 11:57:25 AM »
Lots a bashing of Jr.

More often than not, he's pretty good.  Playing point guard is like pitching in baseball.....if your pitcher is having a bad day, it's tough to win.

What I really like about Junior...he never, never backs down. 

Once he fully matures(and he will) as a point guard, watch out.

ibechillindoe

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2012, 12:11:56 PM »
I really think Vander is going to step up. DJ and Crowder will do what they do, but Vander could suprise people. His length is exactly what we need on Canaan. Offensively I think their lack of size can help him finish in the lane. Rebounding I think he could get a lot of offensive boards with their height and what ken pom says about their team. Maybe this is all just wishful thinking.