'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Murray St Thoughts  (Read 8383 times)

Canadian Dimes

• All American
Re: Murray St Thoughts
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2012, 09:25:16 AM »
summary of the game vs. BYU as it pertains to Murray-
outside of #1, 2-7 pertinent-

agree with 6--- JW was inexplicably ineffective-  VB has to finish around the rim... and not make goofy fouls after playing tough D.

8  it's gotta be more than the Jae and DJO show-  thought #2 could mean someone else has got to step up.  nice game by Mayo...  he can really set his place at the table for next year with a strong finish to his Frosh year.
9  Avoid the keystone cops possessions...  a stretch there where a few times down on O the guys looked like they were doing everything they could to throw the ball away.

overall, a great effort vs. BYU---  some soft moments, but they are a pretty good team... can see why they came back to beat Iona.
should prepare us well for upcoming tilts.

Are you guys kidding me on the jamil wison comments???
Did u watch the game???  Jamil was absolutely hug for us.  Noah hartsock scored every single time he touched the ball when devante garded him.  And never once when jamil guarded him.  His defense n rebounding were huge factors in mu winning.  Only times we got stops in the second half jamil was a huge factor.  Assessing ones play by looking at points scored is really dumb

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2012, 09:28:20 AM »
Cadougan is not a liability. The team plays worse when he is not in and better when he is in, He is NOT a liability. Yes, he sucked against louisville and had some bad moments against byu, but I would not call him Marquettes liability.

Blue needs to play A LOT better on offense.  I had my usual NCAA day one party yesterday with a lot of friends (7 guys during the MU game), some of whom coach at the high school level, and to a man they could not understand why we ever give Blue the ball.  It became kind of a running joke every time he made another mistake, despite my protests that he was just having an off day.  The truth is, that wasn't that much of an off-day for Blue.  Just thought I'd mention how outsiders perceive us.  I got them all back during UConn's pathetic performance.  

The best things about yesterday (I exclude the fine work of Crowder and DJO because I've come to expect that) were the play of Gardner and Mayo (after a shaky start) off of the bench.  If Mayo reverts to that December form, we're going to be a very tough out.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

GOMU85

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2012, 09:28:46 AM »
Except you didn't say defensive liability, you said Marquettes liability, which he is not.

He is both a defensive liability and an offensive liablity. He turns the ball over way too much, he makes "UNINTELLIGENT" mistakes. He can't go left and his ball handeling is below average for a point gaurd. Am I a Junior Cadougan hater? YES! The kid sucks and half of you knows that.

I'm a "real" fan so just let me complain. If you don't like what I have to say then just ignore me.

GOMU85

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2012, 09:29:49 AM »

Did u watch the game???  Jamil was absolutely hug for us.  Noah hartsock scored every single time he touched the ball when devante garded him.  And never once when jamil guarded him.  His defense n rebounding were huge factors in mu winning.  Only times we got stops in the second half jamil was a huge factor.  Assessing ones play by looking at points scored is really dumb

AMEN!!!

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2012, 09:31:49 AM »

I also thought Jamil was fine in the game. Fouls are always the bugaboo with him.

The only guy who didn't come out looking good was Vander. He just had one of those half-second slow games. I'd imagine that's different tomorrow and his length on defense could come in huge against Canaan.

Murray is a good match-up for MU as it is a carbon copy. The real key will be the mobility of our bigs. Watching Murray yesterday they run a ton of screens and having Crowder and Wilson defending that is in our advantage.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2012, 09:32:37 AM »

Great point Dimes.  There is a reason Buzz substitutes Gardner out on defense and isn't because he gets tired (well, at least not solely).

On another note, I have seen Murray State now four times, and they do not do a very good job of defensive rebounding.  Anyone have their tempo free defensive rebounding percentage rank?  It must be bad.

It will be interesting to see how Buzz decides to attack the offensive boards in this game, especially if they play zone.  If we attack too much we are open to transition.  However, we could get 15-20 offensive boards in this game.  I guess that is why Buzz gets the big bucks.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2012, 09:36:12 AM »

No it isn't a home game for them.  Especially with a bunch of UK fans buying tickets for the session.  Perhaps they might sentimentally cheer for Murray State but it will be nothing like the atmosphere that Wisconsin had in the Bradley Center that year.  (And by the way, Wisconsin lost that game.)

Umm....i have to assume you are no where near Louisville.  I have been to MU tiurnament games since 1993 and have never seen anything like this.  Probably 5000 UK fans standing outside the exists offering $250 a ticket seats unseen for saturday.  Prolly 20,000 or more UK fans in the bars and surrounding with not a ticket to be purchased for any price.
Saturdays session will be 20,000 crazy crazy UK fans and 1000 of each Muuray, MU n ISU.
The UK fans will root for murray being instate n cause Calipari told them to.  And in case u did not know this....UK hates Marquette, they dont feel they should ever lose n MU beats them every time.  MU might as well be playin louisville.... road crowd wise.

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2012, 09:36:50 AM »
Has anyone seen the lines for the game yet? I'd be interested to see how Vegas deals with Murray playing a pseudo home game. And don't kid yourselves, it will be about as neutral as Germany in 1939. Kentucky fans made it a home environment for Iowa State, a team they have no connection to and the place will be 90-10 in support of the Racers tomorrow. 

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2012, 09:38:42 AM »
Blue needs to play A LOT better on offense.  I had my usual NCAA day one party yesterday with a lot of friends (7 guys during the MU game), some of whom coach at the high school level, and to a man they could not understand why we ever give Blue the ball.  It became kind of a running joke every time he made another mistake, despite my protests that he was just having an off day.  The truth is, that wasn't that much of an off-day for Blue.  Just thought I'd mention how outsiders perceive us.  I got them all back during UConn's pathetic performance.  

The best things about yesterday (I exclude the fine work of Crowder and DJO because I've come to expect that) were the play of Gardner and Mayo (after a shaky start) off of the bench.  If Mayo reverts to that December form, we're going to be a very tough out.

Twice blue had uncontested layups and attempted stupid finger rolls and bricked layup...KISS

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2012, 09:39:33 AM »

Were they badger fans?

bobnoxious

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2012, 09:43:41 AM »
Line right now according to scoremobile is MU -4.5 and kenpom has MU winning 73-68 with that at 67%

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2012, 09:44:14 AM »
Umm....i have to assume you are no where near Louisville.  I have been to MU tiurnament games since 1993 and have never seen anything like this.  Probably 5000 UK fans standing outside the exists offering $250 a ticket seats unseen for saturday.  Prolly 20,000 or more UK fans in the bars and surrounding with not a ticket to be purchased for any price.
Saturdays session will be 20,000 crazy crazy UK fans and 1000 of each Muuray, MU n ISU.
The UK fans will root for murray being instate n cause Calipari told them to.  And in case u did not know this....UK hates Marquette, they dont feel they should ever lose n MU beats them every time.  MU might as well be playin louisville.... road crowd wise.

OK...you would know more than I.  Ah well.  Gotta face the obstacles in front of us I guess.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2012, 09:45:36 AM »
I really think Blue should try going for a dunk more than layups. He just doesn't have a very soft touch around the rim. If he scores 0 points on Saturday, but keeps Canaan under 20, I will be thrilled with his performance. Hopefully we can cut off the head of the snake like we did against Xavier.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 09:50:01 AM by cheebs09 »

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2012, 09:46:58 AM »

He is both a defensive liability and an offensive liablity. He turns the ball over way too much, he makes "UNINTELLIGENT" mistakes. He can't go left and his ball handeling is below average for a point gaurd. Am I a Junior Cadougan hater? YES! The kid sucks and half of you knows that.

I'm a "real" fan so just let me complain. If you don't like what I have to say then just ignore me.

Just because he dosent score a lot of points doesnt make him an offensive liablilty. He runs the offense and gets his teammates shots. Does he make mistakes? yes, but he isn't unitelligent or a liability.  

What the hell does "real" fan mean. Are you insinuating that I or others are not. If you want people to like what you say all the time, don't post on message boards or you will be disappointed.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2012, 09:47:46 AM »
Line right now according to scoremobile is MU -4.5 and kenpom has MU winning 73-68 with that at 67%

Hey Bob, sounds like you have full Pomeroy access.  What is Murray State's national rank stopping offensive rebounds?

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2012, 09:49:12 AM »

In terms of crowd noise, yes you are right there will be more cheering for Murray State than MU But there is more to home court advantage than fans yelling. Good players should tune that out anyway.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2012, 09:51:15 AM »
Another agree on the Jamil comments. His key contributions are going to be on defense.
If we are expecting something new out of Blue 33 games into the season than shame on us. He's going to give you what he always gives you.  In a big game like this if you can't say the key to the game is in the hands of two star seniors who are NBA prospects, then forget about it.  This game is JC and DJO's to own.  It's on them, and not on guys like Blue or Mayo.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2012, 09:52:01 AM »

I never known a bunch of "Fans" who can be so critical of their own players. I'm sick of reading negative crap on here.

Such a quick turnaround from what you said yourself just a couple months ago.  Christ you're a moron.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2012, 09:53:06 AM »
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2012, 09:59:00 AM »

Blue does NOT have to play "a lot better on offense" when we score 88 points, if he is going to play defense like he did yesterday.  Just like Dimes pointed out with Jamil....game is played on both ends of the floor, and Blue was a glove.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2012, 09:59:49 AM »
Hey Bob, sounds like you have full Pomeroy access.  What is Murray State's national rank stopping offensive rebounds?

85th in offensive rebounding %, 285th in defensive rebounding %.

Very similar profile to MU (76th, 308th).  However, they are shorter than us and those are raw unadjusted numbers, which they put up against horrific competition.  I expect MU to have a clear rebounding advantage tomorrow.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2012, 10:00:31 AM »

The kid sucks and half of you knows that.

Hey, don't sell yourself short.  We all knows that.  I'm with Jamailman.  You're a moron.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

bobnoxious

• Team Captain
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2012, 10:01:10 AM »

Murray State is ranked 285 at 35.1% and MU is 308 at 35.9%

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2012, 10:01:47 AM »

But that's not what you "+1000."

You are the only one here who seems to think he is an offensive liability.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2012, 10:03:05 AM »

Not Bob, but Murray State is 83rd in grabbing offense rebounds and 285th in allowing them. I think we should be able to attack the glass. KenPom also has them ranked 5 spots worse than BYU on defense and about 50 spots better on offense.

In comparison to us, we are slightly better on defense (7 spots) and much better on offense (50)