[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PointWarrior
[Today at 12:57:23 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by PointWarrior
[April 30, 2024, 11:37:53 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DJ gone a "foregone conclusion"?  (Read 3781 times)

drewm88

• All American
DJ gone a "foregone conclusion"?
« on: May 28, 2007, 11:47:23 AM »
From Draftexpress.com:

*It’s rumored that Dominic James was surprisingly not invited since the committee was told that he isn’t serious about staying in the draft, possibly by people at Marquette. What we’re now hearing is that not only is he seriously considering staying in, but it’s almost become a foregone conclusion. James is working out at Tim Grover’s gym in Chicago (which you’ll read about more tomorrow), and is already in the process of interviewing agents. If the committee ends up deciding not to let James participate, what they will essentially be doing is saying that he’s not amongst the best 90+ players who are eligible for the draft, which we all know is clearly not the case. Those 90+ include the 64 players who were invited, the 11 “physical only” players, and the 17 players listed above and below who declined their invite.

http://draftexpress.com/blogs.php?blogid=3

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: DJ gone a "foregone conclusion"?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 11:52:22 AM »
Ouch.  That's bad on many different levels, unless the "people at MU .. told not serious.." part was simply the coaches repeating what DJ said, which was that he'd go for the draft only if he knew he'd be a 1st rounder. -- Otherwise, DJ could have an axe to grind.  Hopefully that report is false.

Circle the calendar .. June 18th is when we find out.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 12:09:36 PM »
I've read where DJ says that the first round stuff was his goal but if a 2nd round pick ----"sobeit"

At any rate---- if true and MU people were telling Orlando that DJ was only in it if a first round pick----they must have indicated this to be "carved in stone" when apparently it wasn't.  Didn't help DJ "chase his dream" if this is the case----in fact this has all the earmarks of a public relations disaster----if true!

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 01:18:15 PM »
When all is said and done, this is SOLELY DJ's choice. It's no use speculating whether or not MU sent the "wrong" message and hurt his chances.

If the kid is not wise enough to listen to the NBA scouts, then he's chasing a pipe dream at this point.
SS Marquette

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 02:40:58 PM »
I've read where DJ says that the first round stuff was his goal but if a 2nd round pick ----"sobeit"

At any rate---- if true and MU people were telling Orlando that DJ was only in it if a first round pick----they must have indicated this to be "carved in stone" when apparently it wasn't.  Didn't help DJ "chase his dream" if this is the case----in fact this has all the earmarks of a public relations disaster----if true!

1, It still surprises me that people are so enamored with the whole DJ to the NBA thing. Seems to be made into a much more dramatic issue then it is.

2, Murff, Can you provide the article where you read that? Granted I haven't read everything on this issue but I've never seen anything close to that kind of quote from James.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 03:01:05 PM »
I must say that I am surprised by his absence at the camp.  I dont recall a game where James was out played in the Big East.  He is much better than the names on that list.  His absence would make me believe that he has been asked not to showcase his talents by advisors.

You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

4everwarriors

• All American
There Has To Be...
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 03:22:58 PM »
another reason for him being so obstinate. Unless, of course, he has a basketball deathwish. If he stays in the draft, look for James in Europe or the NDBL. Likelihood of him returning to the Association from those places is far less than staying @ Marquette and working on his game.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 03:48:19 PM »
I must say that I am surprised by his absence at the camp.  I dont recall a game where James was out played in the Big East.  He is much better than the names on that list.  His absence would make me believe that he has been asked not to showcase his talents by advisors.

He's in the camp now, he got his invite.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007, 04:51:33 PM »

Mind sharing your source?
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

herboturbo

• Team Captain
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 06:20:20 PM »
Yes, I want DJ to return to MU as it will be the difference of a sweet 16 and a qualifying spot.  However, I don't think he will learn much more at the college level.  He is really good and when his shot is on, he is a special player.

You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2007, 06:59:14 PM »
Yes, I want DJ to return to MU as it will be the difference of a sweet 16 and a qualifying spot.  However, I don't think he will learn much more at the college level.  He is really good and when his shot is on, he is a special player.

I think you are right that he is a special player, and MU could/will be VERY good with him next season.

I do however disagree that he can't learn more at the college level. I think he can work on dominating games when his shot isn't working. He is good enough on offense and defense to be a difference maker even if his shot isn't falling. He is probably never going to be a pure shooter, so he needs to learn to round out the rest of his game (which is already very good) if he wants to play at the next level.

Defense, passing, rebounding, creating for others, steals, etc. are all ways in which he can take over a game.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2007, 07:23:07 PM »
Coobey---someone on the other board posted a link recently which quoted DJ saying something like "the first round has always been a goal" ----and then he stated something to the effect that the second round would be acceptable!

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2007, 09:37:57 PM »

DJ is gone. Time to focus on how the team will shape up without him.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2007, 01:31:38 PM »
I'm afraid I'm starting to feel the same way.  I guess DJ's statements earlier in the season about seeing himself at Marq for alteast one and maybe two more years after his Soph were just polically correct talk.
I'm still trying to make sense out of the fact that a 7'2" can't miss prospect like Hibbert can lead his team to the final four and still see the value in returning to play his SENIOR year but James doesn't.  I guess my error is in expecting that these things will make some sense.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2007, 02:44:59 PM »
The difference is that Hibbert sees opportuinty to develop whereas DJ doesn't. What really frustrated DJ last year was having to play against so many zones, which took away the best part of his game (taking the ball to the hoop one on one then dishing or finishing----also zones slowed the whole team down which prevented him from getting out in the open court and doing his thing which he also does very well).

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2007, 03:17:48 PM »
DJ is gone. Time to focus on how the team will shape up without him.

Considering the source (draftexpress), I am not convinced.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 03:20:11 PM by NYWarrior »