[Today at 12:57:23 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by PointWarrior
[April 30, 2024, 11:37:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[April 30, 2024, 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 30, 2024, 02:09:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: David Cubillan and DJ  (Read 4560 times)

muhoops1

• All American
David Cubillan and DJ
« on: May 25, 2007, 03:26:02 PM »
I've heard rumblings that if/when DJ comes back that Cubillan may transfer.  Anyone else hear this?  Bummer if it is true.

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
Re: David Cubillan and DJ
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 07:36:20 PM »
Where have you heard these rumblings?

Perhaps you just need to take a dump.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 07:44:12 PM »
I've heard rumblings that if/when DJ comes back that Cubillan may transfer.  Anyone else hear this?  Bummer if it is true.

Suppose that the rumor is true, how many people here would spin it as Crean's fault when it's really a matter of a kid wanting more playing time.

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 07:45:21 PM »
Well, we know of at least three posters on this board who would.

4everwarriors

• All American
I Can't Think...
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 07:57:32 PM »
of anyone who would spin it that way.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 07:59:37 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 12:11:18 AM »
I can see Cubillan possibly entertaining a move (Who doesn't want to be the Man?), but we would have Acker and that's just fine with me.
SS Marquette

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 09:48:08 AM »
Cubilan is not a PG in the TC/MU tradition of TD and DJ insofar as seeing the floor and setting up others. He's an undersized shooting guard and a good one.

In the event DJ doesn't come back, Acker will take over at PG and Cuby would back him up there. In the unlikely event that DJ does come back, Cuby would spell  McNeal and Mathews as Acker would be the backup PG-----either way he's the odd man out as far as starting is concerned .

BTW----it appears more and more that DJ is hell bent to go to the NBA regardless of where he's drafted!

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 04:22:58 PM »
We cannot lose my namesake. Though, they don't get along too well.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007, 11:15:24 PM »
I can handle losing DJ and I can handle losing DC, I just can't handle losing both.

The main reason I'm not worried about DJ impending loss is that Coach Crean has done a pretty good job of insulating is for that loss.  MA & DC are no DJ but others will raise their game up (Wes, LH, Jerel) and frosh additions plus MA & DC will yield a better team than last year even with DJ leaving.  Losing DC put a significant hole in that plan.

If DJ comes back (I'm 95% he won't), DC could be expendable...would also allow us to sign a upper tier PG recruit.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

NateDoggMarq

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 07:14:51 AM »
Could homesickness be getting to David??

I know he is a long long way from home and we all remember Niv Berkowitz?

By the way Niv Berkowitz was my favoirte MU player because not ony was he a sweet passer, he also was A Jew at a Catholic School like yours truly!!

I still have the Israeli flag that I brought to his first game against Nebraska?? was it?

bartmiller#1

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 10:19:14 AM »
What is the basis of the rumor? 

I still don't see anything other than a really general post about an alleged rumor.  Anything?

You can look at the depth chart and make this stuff up. 

I heard Hayward is transferring because Fitz is coming back.  He wants to be the  man.  See, it's easy to make up based on the roster. 

Doesn't give it any shred of credibility. 

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 10:55:35 AM »
Nate Dogg i can only assume you were drunk at the games.  I never even saw Niv pass the ball he usually got stripped upon catching it.  Man was that guy over his head, looked like a junior high player out there could not even bring it up the court the opposing PG was like a shark with blood in the water.  crean has made some boned headed signings but that is exponentially worse than everyother one. 

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2007, 01:28:54 PM »
What is the basis of the rumor? 

I still don't see anything other than a really general post about an alleged rumor.  Anything?

You can look at the depth chart and make this stuff up. 

I heard Hayward is transferring because Fitz is coming back.  He wants to be the  man.  See, it's easy to make up based on the roster. 

Doesn't give it any shred of credibility. 

I agree with you here... I'm not sure I see evidence that Cooby wants to leave. Watching his facial expressions and body language on the court probably aren't the best way to determine whether he is staying or going. There are a lot of variables on and off the court that can affect his decision that nobody around here knows about.

BUT, as much as I hate to admit it, MU has had its fair share of transfers (not more than some others, but more than would be ideal) so I guess it wouldn't completely shock me if we had another.

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2007, 03:47:41 PM »
NateDogg.....we get it, you're Jewish.  Should you get a special medal for going to a Catholic school?

Thanks for reminding everyone just about every time you post.  Move on.

By the way, Niv Berkowitz was one of the worst players in Marquette history.  He could have been named Sean O'Finnerty and sweat Guinness and I still would've thought he was one of the worst of all time.

I can't believe I am agreeing with Harrison, but he's right on the money on this one.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2007, 04:23:18 PM »
(I'm reminded of some commentary from a teacher friend, who said her 8 year olds, when asked "What 3 things should the class know about you?" .. most answer things like "I'm a good soccer player"  .. "I like to draw" .. "My favorite color is purple."   -- But kids of the Jewish faith invariably have "I'm Jewish" as their first bullet point.  I have no point here.  Just sayin.)

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2007, 04:27:07 PM »
Bell could barely bring the ball over half court either. I actually felt sorry for him. Painful to watch.

He wasn't as bad as Niv, but he was also over his head.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2007, 04:40:00 PM »
Bell could barely bring the ball over half court either. I actually felt sorry for him. Painful to watch.

And yet he was recruited heavily by the University of Arizona.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2007, 05:10:47 PM »

I also heard that about Lazar!  I'm kidding of course.  I just think it is interesting information.  I never commented on the validity of the info.  My source could be a total moron with no insight what so ever. 

However, this forum allows you the opportunity to float out rumors.  It was nothing more than a rumor.  I was trying to find out if anyone close to the program has heard this and could perhaps validate it.  Milwaukee's own Andy Katz makes a damn good living dealing with conjecture.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2007, 10:36:11 PM »

and the University of Pittsburgh.  A lot of people missed on Brandon Bell.

NateDoggMarq

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2007, 07:12:31 AM »
(I'm reminded of some commentary from a teacher friend, who said her 8 year olds, when asked "What 3 things should the class know about you?" .. most answer things like "I'm a good soccer player"  .. "I like to draw" .. "My favorite color is purple."   -- But kids of the Jewish faith invariably have "I'm Jewish" as their first bullet point.  I have no point here.  Just sayin.)

That is actually hysterical.   To be honest the whole Jewish thing I guess is alot more of an ethnicity for than a religion per say.  Kind of like if you went an asked a white person in the bronx what he was and he would probably say Italian.  Its kinda of an indentifier.
The odd thing is that when I am at home in Skokie, alot of people in my neigborhood are Jewish so I dont even mention it because unfourtanetly they dont think our Family is "Jewish Enough".

Lets face it we identify with players that are alot like us.
For instance everyone likes the White Kid like Diener because you can indentify with being a white kid from Wisconsin who isnt built like a tank.
Or alot of German players love Novitzki
or Chinese love Yao
I like Niv because I am "ethnically" Jewish and it is very rare to have a Jewish Basketball player not name Danny or Dolph Shayes or even Jon Shayer, none the less a Jewish basketball player who plays at a catholic school.  It reminds me of that White QB that Grambling had about 10 years ago.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2007, 08:56:42 AM »

and the University of Pittsburgh.  A lot of people missed on Brandon Bell.

I'm not saying he shouldn't have been recruited. I'm simply saying he was not as good as advertised.

feedback