[Today at 10:05:09 AM]

What do Wisconsinites call people from Illinois? by wadesworld
[Today at 10:04:06 AM]

2024-25 Roster by tower912
[Today at 07:04:54 AM]

NM by rocket surgeon
[Today at 05:46:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

With Jae being the first guy since Wade to be Player of the Year, I wondered - what does his need to do to get his number retired?

Do nothing further, it's going up regardless eventually
13 (8.2%)
Win Big East title and advance at least to Sweet 16
11 (6.9%)
Win Big East and make Final Four
44 (27.7%)
A combination of options 2 and 3
33 (20.8%)
While great, he doesn't wasn't as much of a once-in-a-generation talent like Wade
58 (36.5%)

Total Members Voted: 158

Voting closed: March 11, 2012, 03:44:48 PM

Author Topic: Chances of Jae Crowder's 32 hanging in the BC rafters?  (Read 7487 times)

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
Chances of Jae Crowder's 32 hanging in the BC rafters?
« on: March 06, 2012, 02:44:48 PM »
Wade played two years and won conference POY. Crowder did the same.
Wade lost in round 1 his first year of the NCAA. Crowder went to the sweet 16.
Wade won CUSA POY. Crowder won the BEast POY...FWIW a much tougher confernce/achievement.

That said, what say you?

NOTE - By "Combination of 2/3 I'm talking about MU losing the Big East but making the Sweet 16; losing the Big East and making the Final Four...something along those lines.

My bad for not mentioning First Team AA.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 04:11:24 PM by Niv Berkowitz »

🏀

• All American
Re: Chances of Jae Crowder's 32 hanging in the BC rafters?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 02:48:26 PM »
Big East Player of the Year is saying a lot.

If he would have made or makes first team All-American somewhere, I'd recommend putting him up there.

If he leads us to a Final Four or BE Championship, put him up there.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 02:49:01 PM »
C'mon dude. You're kidding, right?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 02:49:33 PM »
Wade was a consensus all-American.  Jae will not be.

It could be argued that Wade was the most talented player ever to wear a Marquette uniform.  Jae would not be in that conversation.

Retired "jerseys" need to stand the test of time.  I think once his career is in the rear view mirror for a few seasons, we will not view him in the same class as those who are hanging in the rafters.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 02:55:57 PM »
Jae has been a tremendous player for Marquette but I don't feel he deserves to have his number retired. Personally, I like the idea of honoring players/jerseys but only retiring a select few numbers (probably too late for this at MU). I'd love to see names and numbers for Jae, Wes, Jerel, DJ, Lazar, DJO, Butler, Novak, Diener, etc honored at The BC in some way, but I don't feel any of them are worthy of number retirement.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 02:57:56 PM »
Combination of 2 and 3?!?

A Sweet 16 AND a Final 4?!?
SS Marquette

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 02:59:10 PM »
Add a poll option for earning first team All-American.  I think that would do it.

Otherwise, no.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 03:07:51 PM »
Avenue Commons guaranteed Jae to be drafted in the first round of the NBA draft this year, that would probably warrant a banner. He seems to have unparalleled insider information.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=31094.msg365391#msg365391

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 03:11:25 PM »
In my opinion this will largely be driven by his success in the NBA.... if Wade was a flop in the League, I think it would have taken him a bit to get up there.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 03:21:56 PM »
There are several numbers in our rafters that shouldn't be. Doc Rivers, for one. Tatum probably doesn't belong either. Wade should've had to wait as well. Crowder? C'mon! Not even close. He'd be about 20th in line. Even DJO has had a better MU career. One award does not a career make.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 03:29:30 PM »
There are several numbers in our rafters that shouldn't be. Doc Rivers, for one.

Really?

Doc was a highly decorated player while at MU. Rivers put together arguably the best freshman season in Marquette history. At the time of his induction into the MU HOF he held freshman records for scoring, scoring average, field-goals made, field-goals percentage and steals. Rivers ranks among the school leaders in steals and assists. Rivers was a first team Converse All-American in 1982 and was an honorable mention Associated Press and United Press International All-American in 1983. 

Professional accomplishments: Drafted in the second round of the 1983 NBA Draft by the Atlanta Hawks, Rivers averaged 10.9 points, 5.7 assists and 3.0 rebounds over his 13-year playing career.

Yeah, He was such a bum. TEAR DOWN THAT BANNER!!

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 03:34:22 PM »
Really?

Doc was a highly decorated player while at MU. Rivers put together arguably the best freshman season in Marquette history. At the time of his induction into the MU HOF he held freshman records for scoring, scoring average, field-goals made, field-goals percentage and steals. Rivers ranks among the school leaders in steals and assists. Rivers was a first team Converse All-American in 1982 and was an honorable mention Associated Press and United Press International All-American in 1983. 

Professional accomplishments: Drafted in the second round of the 1983 NBA Draft by the Atlanta Hawks, Rivers averaged 10.9 points, 5.7 assists and 3.0 rebounds over his 13-year playing career.

Pro accomplishments shouldn't have much, if anything, to do with getting a number retired. I wish MU had certain criteria to have numbers retired like UNC does, and then honored other guys in a different manner.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 03:36:29 PM »
I wish MU had certain criteria to have numbers retired like UNC does, and then honored other guys in a different manner.
This.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 03:37:17 PM »
I'm coming up with 32.333% - repeating, of course - chance of it happening.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 03:41:21 PM »
Really?

Overreact much? There is no way he deserves to be in the rafters. If anything, his career at Marquette was a disappointment. I could give two licks about what he did in the NBA.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2012, 03:48:10 PM »
Overreact much? There is no way he deserves to be in the rafters. If anything, his career at Marquette was a disappointment. I could give two licks about what he did in the NBA.

So what criteria should MU use to determine what jerseys get retired?

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2012, 04:02:06 PM »

North Carolina requires you to win the Wooden Award to have your jersey retired.  Obviously we're not on that level, but it's kind of neat to have a firm set of criteria. 

First team All American with at least 2 years played wouldn't be a bad qualifier.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2012, 04:03:56 PM »

On the topic of licks...

Tell me how you feel about the administrators at Springs Valley (IN) H.S.  They didn't just hang a banner, they named the street after their most famous alum, Larry Bird.  He didn't even win a state championship for them.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2012, 04:04:17 PM »
We used to have a requirement of a diploma. Let's start with that.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2012, 04:05:25 PM »

Consensus 1st Team All-American
#3 Dwyane Wade
#14 Dean Meminger
#15 Butch Lee
#22 Jim Chones

Speaking of Chones, why isn't his #22 in the rafters? He earned his degree a few years ago. Was that what was preventing it sooner?

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2012, 04:05:57 PM »
On the topic of licks...

Tell me how you feel about the administrators at Springs Valley (IN) H.S.  They didn't just hang a banner, they named the street after their most famous alum, Larry Bird.  He didn't even win a state championship for them.
The high school administrators name the streets in French Lick, Indiana? I don't think so. The town did that and rightfully so!

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2012, 04:16:53 PM »
Pro accomplishments shouldn't have much, if anything, to do with getting a number retired. I wish MU had certain criteria to have numbers retired like UNC does, and then honored other guys in a different manner.

In a perfect world, pro accomplishments shouldn't have anything to do with it...but it does. We're all human.

If D Wade was a 15 and 7 guy, would they have put that number up there ASAP? No chance. I see both sides and I don't know what's really right or wrong. Recruiting/business-wise, it made sense to get Wade's name up there and striking while the fire was red-hot.

On the other hand, as a Jesuit institution, should that have mattered and the school allowed some time to go by before putting him up there? In addition to how soon they put Wade up there, he wasn't a four-year player either and didn't have his degree yet. You could say Wade is the reason we are having this poll/discussion. It definitely got me thinking.

I think it should mostly be based on college and the type of legacy you left behind. Nobody talks about McNeal going up there and he's the all-time leading scorer.

Personally, I don't think Jae should go up there unless the team goes to the Final Four and even then I'd have to be swayed. In addition, we all have to wait and see how he plays in the tourney. This team is more of a 1-2 punch monster w/him and DJO than we were with Wade.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2012, 04:18:11 PM »
Consensus 1st Team All-American
#3 Dwyane Wade
#14 Dean Meminger
#15 Butch Lee
#22 Jim Chones

Speaking of Chones, why isn't his #22 in the rafters? He earned his degree a few years ago. Was that what was preventing it sooner?

Well he left for the pros...in the MIDDLE of the season. And while it had the blessings of his coach, it should impact how he is honored by his University.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2012, 04:21:44 PM »
I feel retiring numbers should have a lot to do with team success, since that is what matters in this sport. IF we get to the Final Four and IF Jae is the reason for the run in the tourney, I don't know how you can leave off the BEast POY and best player on one of the top 4 MU teams in the program's history. Carrying your team to a Final Four would be a huge deal. I wouldn't have hung Wade's jersey without that run. A Final Four run is a once in a decade type of feat and Jae could be remembered as a once in a decade type player if he leads us to the promise land. Someone will be given legend status when students look back 20 years from now.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2012, 04:23:03 PM »
I'm already clarifying one thing I said...

It does matter a little what the player does post-school. Not necessarily professionaly hoops-wise, but how they carry themselves and represent the university after they get out of school. It all plays a role in making their legacy outlive their four-years of college.