'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:41:27 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:00:22 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: "Need" a loss?  (Read 6751 times)

MU82

• All American
"Need" a loss?
« on: February 29, 2012, 08:46:03 AM »
I recently read a column in which the writer opined it would be better for Kentucky if it loses to help the Wildcats' players "refocus."

Now that we have won 12 of 13 and are getting all kinds of national props, could our lads be getting overconfident? Could it lessen the tension and help the kids refocus for the Big East and NCAA tourneys if they got a loss out of the way now?

Personally, I'm not a fan of the theory. Maybe if you are undefeated all season and the pressure is mounting, as was the case for Illinois a few years ago, a loss could actually help in the long run. (Even then, I'm not a fan of it; but I can at least understand the argument.)

I think each game is its own entity and should be played to win. Within reason, of course; you don't risk further injury to a banged-up player to win, etc.

I'd like to think Buzz regularly warns his players not to get too big-headed. Plus, we have had enough close calls and big deficits to drive home the point that we can't afford to give away offensive or defensive possessions. And it's not as if our loss at ND (or even to Vandy) was so long ago that the lads have forgotten how crappy it felt.

While a loss to Cinci or GTown, or even a BET loss, certainly wouldn't be tragic, I don't really see the benefit. Others, however, might argue differently.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
Re: "Need" a loss?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 08:51:15 AM »
Al used to think a timely loss was a positive. Not sure what game would be considered timely at this point. However, I mam not caught up in the seed all that much. A better location and 3 is better than bad location and 2 in my mind. Maybe a loss later in BE is the best, but who knows.

APieperFan3

• Team Captain
  • We Are Marquette
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 08:51:58 AM »

I think each game is its own entity and should be played to win. Within reason, of course; you don't risk further injury to a banged-up player to win, etc.

Agreed.

When playing sports (or maybe in life) have you EVER been on a winning streak and thought..."Oh, it's probably a good time to drop one?"

You can learn from losses...but losing is still never a good thing.
The "average fan" is an idiot.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 08:58:43 AM »
No, we need the highest seed we can get.

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 09:01:23 AM »
How that "need" loss work for the Packers?

One of the most overrated philosophies in sports.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 09:23:29 AM »
on another thread I posited that the "suspensions" might have the same effect to focus the players

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 09:47:31 AM »
How that "need" loss work for the Packers?

One of the most overrated philosophies in sports.
Totally Agree.  Once you lose a game you have to regain momentum once again which sometimes is hard to do.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 09:52:51 AM »
Totally Agree.  Once you lose a game you have to regain momentum once again which sometimes is hard to do.

I agree too.  I think the try to set goals like winning game segments i.e., 4 minute segments between media timeouts.  I also think they try to set goals like winning the rebounding game, free throw attempts, or "turkeys" etc.  I think if the players focus on doing what is right in the moment rather than looking at the scoreboard and the clock, then they are likely to have more wins.  I think Buzz has this team dialed in as it is and they do not need a loss to get more focused.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 10:19:43 AM »
This team doesn't need a loss. Jae and DJO are the engines that drive this team. They got that "needed" loss on March 25, 2011 in New Jersey. They know exactly what the consequences are of losing at this point, and I don't think they need any more motivation than going into March with the memory of that game still fresh in their minds.

No one on this team has forgotten about UNC, and I'm confident that as they go forward, the last thing we can expect is complacency.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 10:42:48 AM »
No need.  If anything, the ND loss could be that reminder.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 10:52:48 AM »
on another thread I posited that the "suspensions" might have the same effect to focus the players
That's my belief as well.

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 10:54:09 AM »
Jae and DJO have both said they are motivated by the loss last year in the Sweet 16.  No need for another.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 10:54:32 AM »
I wonder if Knight had that same philosophy in '76?

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 11:05:09 AM »
The only loss that I wouldn't be very upset about is to Syracuse in the conference championship. But I think we can take them on a neutral court. Tonight will be tough, but they have it in them.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 11:12:18 AM »
Marquette can also learn and refocus after an ugly win against an inferior opponent (i.e. at WV). I'll take that over a loss any day.

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 11:25:11 AM »
UConn shouldn't have played through to Saturday last year in NYC. They were tired and not focused for the NCA---oh. Never mind.

The Man in Gold

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 11:32:32 AM »
The only loss that I wouldn't be very upset about is to Syracuse in the conference championship. But I think we can take them on a neutral court.

While I think we can hold our own against Syracuse ... Syracuse at MSG in the BET is about as "un-neutral" as you can possibly get; especially if its the championship game. There is a reason that a school in Bumf*ck New York, has the phrase "New York's college team" tattooed across its court. Syracuse owns NYC during the tournament.
Captain, We need more sweatervests!  TheManInGold has been blinded by the light (off the technicolor sweatervest)

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 11:37:39 AM »
It's not so much about needing a loss, but there are times when a team has certain weaknesses exposed and has to make adjustments.  The impact of being exposed is obviously magnified when it results in a loss.  The flip side is that other teams see how that weakness was exploited and will test it.  It can have the effect of refocusing a team more generally, although it doesn't always work that way.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 11:43:28 AM »
I think we are in agreement that we don't need another loss until at least November!!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

kira67

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2012, 11:45:29 AM »
You never need a loss. Let's keep doing the job and try to get a Seed #2 !

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2012, 11:45:53 AM »
While I think we can hold our own against Syracuse ... Syracuse at MSG in the BET is about as "un-neutral" as you can possibly get; especially if its the championship game. There is a reason that a school in Bumf*ck New York, has the phrase "New York's college team" tattooed across its court. Syracuse owns NYC during the tournament.

Still a big difference from the Carrier Dome, even if every other a*hole bond trader on Wall Street went there.  But 2 BE tournament championships for SU in the last 20 years isn't exactly dominating.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2012, 11:58:02 AM »
If you get the sense that a team is going through the motions and still winning, I can see the case for a loss helping.

That is absolutely not this team.  No need for a loss, win out .., for the next month!

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2012, 01:32:35 PM »
I guess that this year's UConn team must be the most focused team ever!
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2012, 02:28:13 PM »
I agree that Kentucky needs a loss.  And I have just the team in mind to hand them that loss.

Bwaa haaa haaa haaa!
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2012, 08:10:12 PM »
YUP, resurrecting a somewhat dead thread, but for a good cause...

I think tonight is a perfect example of the fact that we don't NEED a loss, but rather if we HAVE a loss, that we learn something from it.  We played tentative and terrible tonight, on both ends, didn't shoot well, didn't rebound, etc.  The only positive is that this happened in the penultimate game of the regular season, and there is plenty of time to LEARN from this. 

Circle the wagons this weekend vs. Georgetown.

feedback