[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Brute Force Is PO'd...  (Read 5251 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Brute Force Is PO'd...
« on: November 16, 2006, 09:33:40 PM »
and all Warriors fan should be too. How outrageous and stupid to assign a retired number. I know they want to distinguish between a retired jersey and a retired number. WTF, who cares about a jersey, its the number bro that's important.
The public relations genius who thought this one through has now succeeded in alienating a Warrior legend. Way to go, idiot! Let's call this clown out. I say enough with this humiliating embarrassment. First, MU gets rid of Warriors, goes to Gold, and now a retired number means nothing. How frickin' ridiculous and foolish can you be?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ToddPacker

• Starter
Re: Brute Force Is PO'd...
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 09:44:06 PM »
What took you so long?!!  I've been waiting for you to chime in with your negativity!  Why does a number matter and a jersey not matter?  It certainly is a bad PR move, but seriously, who gives a damn--handle it in-house.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 09:50:38 PM »
"handle it in-house."

Bingo.

GT has now cast himself as the angry old man. 

Were mistakes made?  yes.

Did he over-react?  absolutely

tomahawkchop

• Walk-On
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 10:05:53 PM »
"handle it in-house."

Bingo.

IMO, the angry old man comes off looking a heck of a lot better than the incompetent boob Bill Cords.

How can any employee of MU's athletic dept not grasp the importance of George Thompson to the legacy of Warriors Basketball?

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 10:11:45 PM »
looks like Cords did just that....once he found out GT was pissed, he resolved the situation immediately.

Methinks the same thing would have happened with a private phone call too.

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 10:18:34 PM »
GT's feelings were hurt when MU let him know that he was a subpar broadcaster and took away his mic and paycheck.  Seems to me that's what he's really mad about.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 10:21:34 PM »
guess we're all in deep yogurt now, SoCal

;D

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 10:48:22 PM »
GT's feelings were hurt when MU let him know that he was a subpar broadcaster and took away his mic and paycheck.  Seems to me that's what he's really mad about.

Odds are that you are correct on this and the bitterness has been there now for over a year or so.  Also lends to the idea that GT was more than happy to air his unhappiness in the press rather than call MU or handle it privately.

I personally liked his broadcasting because it was so uniquely Marquette, but I know many people that found his style not very good.  Perhaps Nelligan Sports felt the same way.  Change with any legend is always difficult and leaves some people unhappy, especially in the broadcast booth. Shame this came about today...totally unnecessary.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 10:58:01 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

The Lens

• All American
BF had no choice...
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 11:59:10 PM »
"handle it in-house."

Bingo.

Yeah the thing is though when you've been run out...it's tough to work thru the system to get things done.  Also considering his post (PR Chief for a Fortune 100 Company) he probably a did this as a last resort or did this as a very orchestrated from above, meaning B&S higher ups aren't too happy w/ MU.  VPs like GT don't just run their mouth, it's usually very calculated

Not the first former player to have issues with TC, certainly won't be the last.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 12:00:45 AM by DamonKeysContactLens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 07:16:29 AM »
Whoa Damon, what does Crean have to do with this?  Cords runs this stuff.  And I don't buy the this is calculated thing.  GT is a passionate person and I can definitely see him shooting off his mouth.  This is just a stupid story that needs to go away.  Neither side comes out smelling fresh.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Harrison

• Team Captain
Guys Cords is jut the fall guy....
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2006, 08:03:17 AM »
we will need a very strong new Ad to deal with Tommy Naismith.  Don't get me wrong a coaches job is to win and run a clean program and Crean has done that.  But with that he has pissed more than a few people off and his abrasive style has shown it's self in the assistant coaching turnover.  yes, we have had asst. leave for other jobs but we have also had them just leave.  We have also had them leave for just jobs that could be easily labeled lateral and much of that has to do with Crean's style.  For thos eof you that feels the blame goes to Cord's, I have two questions.  1. do you think Crean or Cord's original granted or broached the idea of giving away #24?  2. do you think it was Crean or Cords that orignally considered changing the policy of retiring the number of a player that has not graduated?   Like I said we need a strong AD so these issues dont simply happen without a little powerful over sight...power corrupts....

ilovefreeway

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2006, 09:21:24 AM »
Harrison, you are right it is Crean's job to win and run a claen program, and he is doing it...SO WHY DO YOU CARE IF HE HAS RUBBED PEOPLE THE WRONG WAY!?!?  Do me a favor, if we get back to the final four, don't celebrate, don't enjoy it.  Just lament how Crean didn't call you to see if you approve of the order the players are introduced.  I mean really, a senior being introduced 4th while a soph is 1st and a jr 5th.  Doesn't Crean have any sence of Lott's feelings.  Boy, I really hope Crean concentrates on putting George back behind the mic and stops WINNING WITH A CLEAN PROGRAM. 
Get over it.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2006, 10:28:25 AM »
has now succeeded in alienating a Warrior legend.

i'm not arguing with your point, but do you have any info to back up this statement?  did he release something saying he would no longer show up for reunions?  This sounds like you are just assuming he feels alienated.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: BF had no choice...
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2006, 12:19:54 PM »
"handle it in-house."

Bingo.

Yeah the thing is though when you've been run out...it's tough to work thru the system to get things done.  Also considering his post (PR Chief for a Fortune 100 Company) he probably a did this as a last resort or did this as a very orchestrated from above, meaning B&S higher ups aren't too happy w/ MU.  VPs like GT don't just run their mouth, it's usually very calculated

Not the first former player to have issues with TC, certainly won't be the last.

Is there some proof that suggests this was intentioned on the basketball department side?  It sounds as though you are saying that is the case.  I find it hard to believe that this was a last resort, but maybe it was.  Are you implying that GT did call Cords or Crean?  The newspaper article certainly didn't imply that.

feedback