collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Ryan Braun Wins Appeal  (Read 35000 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Ryan Braun Wins Appeal
« on: February 23, 2012, 04:17:08 PM »
Won't be suspended.

Complete joke.  I wouldn't mind if it was reduced but dropped?

So it is acceptable to have 4 times the normal amount of testosterone because you have an STD.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
Re: Ryan Braun Wins Appeal
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 04:20:07 PM »
apparently they won on a technicality.  They didn't dispute the result of the test, just that the process is flawed in some way.  BS.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 04:21:01 PM »
A dangerous precedent has been set.

Mu2323

• Starter
OT: Ryan Braun Wins Appeal
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 04:26:55 PM »
Will not be suspended 50-games

SaveOD238

• All American
Re: OT: Ryan Braun Wins Appeal
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 04:33:25 PM »
+1000000

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 04:34:43 PM »
MLB released a statement where they "strongly disagree" with the third party's decision to overturn it. 

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 04:45:26 PM »
A dangerous precedent has been set.

No such thing as precedent in arbitration cases.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 04:46:08 PM »
Manny Ramirez is now rushing to MLB offices to appeal his suspension.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 04:53:26 PM »
Don't put that in teal.  Why wouldn't he appeal?  I'm sure he could find a technicality as well.

Abode4life

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 05:07:08 PM »
Have they said what the technicality is?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 05:11:24 PM »
Have they said what the technicality is?

According to national writers on twitter, the defense centered around the chain of custody being broken for 2 days and left unprotected. With the rumor that there were two other Brewers who had very high levels, but were thrown out, it could be fairly reasonable to assume someone tampered with it.

Now ESPN is saying that the courier was supposed to take it to FedEx on Saturday, but was not sure it was open, so took it home and sent it out Monday.

monkeyman34

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 05:12:56 PM »
It's BS he isn't suspended because MLB didn't know where his test sample was for 2 whole days? Give me a break. MLB and ESPN are the idiots right now, not Braun. He passed 3 other tests during the year, and failed one, which was "missing" for 2 days.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 05:20:29 PM »
Won't be suspended.

Complete joke.  I wouldn't mind if it was reduced but dropped?

So it is acceptable to have 4 times the normal amount of testosterone because you have an STD.

If the testosterone trigger was the result of a prescription medication he is on, Braun would probably be happy with any STD rather than what he actually may have.

There are certain illnesses you don't make fun of or take joy when your enemy is stricken with it... cancer, AIDS, Alzheimers, etc.  I would highly suggest anyone wanting to toss the "herpes" thing around wait to see what it is they actually may be reveling about --- unless you don't believe in karma.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

SacWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 05:28:39 PM »
Brewers fans will see it as vindication.

Cubs fans will see it as a miscarriage of justice.

Well I'm a happy man today at least. Come see me at the bar tonight Cubs fans, we can both get drunk for opposite reasons

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 05:31:59 PM »
According to national writers on twitter, the defense centered around the chain of custody being broken for 2 days and left unprotected. With the rumor that there were two other Brewers who had very high levels, but were thrown out, it could be fairly reasonable to assume someone tampered with it.

Now ESPN is saying that the courier was supposed to take it to FedEx on Saturday, but was not sure it was open, so took it home and sent it out Monday.

If I'm Braun I sue ESPN.  If they don't leak the report on the  test and everything happens normally, no one knows about this.  The difficult part would be proving how much earning power he has lost as a result for the damages part.  How this isn't a HIPPA violation to report it is a mystery to me, but then again I've never stayed in a Holiday Inn Express
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 05:35:20 PM »
If I'm Braun I sue ESPN.  If they don't leak the report on the  test and everything happens normally, no one knows about this.  The difficult part would be proving how much earning power he has lost as a result for the damages part.  How this isn't a HIPPA violation to report it is a mystery to me, but then again I've never stayed in a Holiday Inn Express

They didn't report anything that wasnt true.  What would you sue for?

BlindboyPatSmith

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 05:37:30 PM »

+1

Why sue?  because his rights were violated per the collective bargaining agreement with MLB and the union.  In addition this has got to be a HIPPA violation

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 05:37:47 PM »
They didn't report anything that wasnt true.  What would you sue for?

The HIPPA violation because those are protected medical tests....again thats what as a loyal Law and Order viewer knowledge says.  I could be wildly wrong.  Additionally, they reported no one had appealed successfully a test, which is also not true.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2012, 05:38:41 PM »
Jeff Passan twitter:

Sources: Braun sample sat over the weekend in FedEx shop. Wasn't delivered until Monday. Chain-of-custody argument from lawyers won case.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2012, 05:39:36 PM »
Actually that is true.  No mlber has successfully appealed before braun.  See the JS article.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2012, 05:41:20 PM »
Brewers fans will see it as vindication.

Cubs fans will see it as a miscarriage of justice.

Well I'm a happy man today at least. Come see me at the bar tonight Cubs fans, we can both get drunk for opposite reasons

Vindication for what?  He didn't win the case because he is clean.  He won because the sample sat at FedEx and wasn't shipped until Monday.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2012, 05:49:24 PM »
I don't think HIPAA covers steroid testing by an employee's employeer.  If it did MLB wouldn't be able to announce that players were suspended for failing.

in_lazar_we_trust

• Walk-On
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2012, 05:50:35 PM »
The result of the test was that he had twice as much testosterone in his sample than any player in MLB history.  You can't change the result in arbitration, it is the result.  You can only challenge how the test was done and argue that something must have gone wrong, and point out any flaws in the process, the test, the chain of custody (possibility for mix-up, tampering, or contamination), etc.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2012, 06:40:29 PM »
I don't think HIPAA covers steroid testing by an employee's employeer.  If it did MLB wouldn't be able to announce that players were suspended for failing.

Players sign a waiver of HIPAA in those instances, there is an agreement in place is my understanding....different for a new organization to report on it.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2012, 06:43:21 PM »
Just like O.J.'s trial. When ya got the facts on your side, argue da facts. When ya got the law on your side, argue the law. When you got neither, muddy the waters. That, my friends, is Law 101.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback