'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Illinois Job Better Than Marquette?  (Read 18074 times)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: Illinois Job Better Than Marquette?
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2012, 11:49:33 AM »
Put it this way...if I were a coach and was offered both jobs, I would probably take Illinois.  However if I am a successful coach at Marquette, I don't leave it for Illinois.

Perfectly stated!

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2012, 12:16:15 PM »
But aren't we also comparing a school of about 10k students to a school of about 40k?

I thought we were talking about overall attendance.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2012, 02:10:36 PM »
As an MU alum living in Chicago, I can tell you that people in the Chicago-land area have way too high of an opinion on the type of "basketball power" that U of I really is.  There are a lot of mouth-breathers who rank U of I in the same class as UNC, Duke, UCLA, and Kentucky.  They believe that the best coaches from all over the country would trip over themselves if that job opens.

In reality, it's a mid-Big 10/12 school.  The facilities suck, there's not a great winning tradition, and the school is in the middle of cow-town which is surrounded by hundreds of cow-towns.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2012, 02:24:04 PM »
As an MU alum living in Chicago, I can tell you that people in the Chicago-land area have way too high of an opinion on the type of "basketball power" that U of I really is.  There are a lot of mouth-breathers who rank U of I in the same class as UNC, Duke, UCLA, and Kentucky.  They believe that the best coaches from all over the country would trip over themselves if that job opens.

In reality, it's a mid-Big 10/12 school.  The facilities suck, there's not a great winning tradition, and the school is in the middle of cow-town which is surrounded by hundreds of cow-towns.

It's arguably the 3rd best job in the Big 10.  In recent years it's been behind OSU, but if Matta ever leaves OSU who knows what happens there.  Let's not forget that from 2000-2004 Illinois won the Big Ten 4 of 5 seasons.  If they keep on locking up the in state talent and get the right coach in there they'll be in really good shape.  That program has a really high ceiling.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2012, 02:35:40 PM »
It's arguably the 3rd best job in the Big 10.  In recent years it's been behind OSU, but if Matta ever leaves OSU who knows what happens there.  Let's not forget that from 2000-2004 Illinois won the Big Ten 4 of 5 seasons.  If they keep on locking up the in state talent and get the right coach in there they'll be in really good shape.  That program has a really high ceiling.

Ohio State might be here to stay. Their budget is insane, and now that they are consistently good at hoops, I don't know if they will ever accept going back.

They are similar to Texas in that regard. Not a traditional hoops power, but the shear size of their athletic budget will probably make them a top job.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2012, 02:37:05 PM »

As an MU Alum living in Chicago, I don't get that impression really at all.  Maybe to some degree, but I hardly feel that is the majority position. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2012, 02:38:38 PM »
It's arguably the 3rd best job in the Big 10.  In recent years it's been behind OSU, but if Matta ever leaves OSU who knows what happens there.  Let's not forget that from 2000-2004 Illinois won the Big Ten 4 of 5 seasons.  If they keep on locking up the in state talent and get the right coach in there they'll be in really good shape.  That program has a really high ceiling.

3rd? No.

OSU, MSU, IU and UW are all better jobs. PU and MU are at the same level. So they are a mid-Big Ten team.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 02:41:46 PM by PTM »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2012, 02:41:19 PM »
Why do people think UW is a better job?  Outside of the Kohl Center, I fail to see why UW would be ranked ahead of Illinois and Purdue.  The latter two have a longer history of success, and have a much better recruiting base.  The resources are about the same.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2012, 02:41:58 PM »
As an MU Alum living in Chicago, I don't get that impression really at all.  Maybe to some degree, but I hardly feel that is the majority position. 

Agreed. Most people in the Chicago area only care about Illinois when they're good...and even then it's marginal. It's like when a local high school team goes to the state tournament - even though you didn't go there and don't pay much attention to their athletics, it would be nice to see them win and represent your town well.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2012, 02:43:19 PM »
Why do people think UW is a better job?  Outside of the Kohl Center, I fail to see why UW would be ranked ahead of Illinois and Purdue.  The latter two have a longer history of success, and have a much better recruiting base.  The resources are about the same.

Kohl Center is a big reason. Illinois is far behind on the facilities aspect. Sustained success under Bo is the other reason.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2012, 02:43:27 PM »
3rd? No.

OSU, MSU, IU and UW are all better jobs. PU and MU are at the same level. So they are a mid-Big Ten team.

You're nuts if you think Wisc is a better job, and Purdue and Michigan aren't on the same level.  The teamss might be better right now, but the head coaching job is not better.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2012, 02:47:33 PM »
You're nuts if you think Wisc is a better job, and Purdue and Michigan aren't on the same level.  The teamss might be better right now, but the head coaching job is not better.

How is it not?

Facilities - No
Recruiting Base - No, Chicago and Indiana for Purdue
Salary - Same
Recent Success - No
Shoe Affiliation - Edge Michigan on exposure.
School ran by Mike Madigan - Edge everyone else.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 02:49:49 PM by PTM »

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2012, 02:55:33 PM »
Agreed. Most people in the Chicago area only care about Illinois when they're good...and even then it's marginal. It's like when a local high school team goes to the state tournament - even though you didn't go there and don't pay much attention to their athletics, it would be nice to see them win and represent your town well.

Maybe you are right...who knows.  I have a lot of friends who either went to U of I or are fans of the team.  They really do believe U of I is a top 5/10 basketball program.  I might just have insane friends. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2012, 02:57:40 PM »
Maybe you are right...who knows.  I have a lot of friends who either went to U of I or are fans of the team.  They really do believe U of I is a top 5/10 basketball program.  I might just have insane friends. 

Insane friends.

If Self's player never made the final four run, Illinois would be battling with Iowa and Penn State for Big Ten relevancy.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2012, 02:58:08 PM »
How is it not?

Facilities - No
Recruiting Base - No, Chicago and Indiana for Purdue
Salary - Same
Recent Success - No
Shoe Affiliation - Edge Michigan on exposure.
School ran by Mike Madigan - Edge everyone else.

Take away Bo Ryan from UW and what do you have? UW bball is second fiddle to football with a very rceent tradition.  Matt Painter almost just left Purdue (his alma mater) for Mizzou because of the lack of commitment from the AD and they have to deal with IU, ND, and Butler now.  Michigan you might have a case, but they haven't had any recent, real success and they're second fiddle to football and MSU basketball.  I don't think shoe exposure is a relevant criteria unless you're at Oregon.  And don't understate the loads of talent in Illinois in which no other major in-state school is competing for.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2012, 03:01:02 PM »

Agreed.
And Michigan is a better job than Wisconsin or Illinois.
People seem to forget that before Ed Martin blew up in their face, Michigan went to 12 NCAAs in 14 seasons, making several deep runs along the way.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2012, 03:05:08 PM »
Take away Bo Ryan from UW and what do you have? UW bball is second fiddle to football with a very rceent tradition.  Matt Painter almost just left Purdue (his alma mater) for Mizzou because of the lack of commitment from the AD and they have to deal with IU, ND, and Butler now.  Michigan you might have a case, but they haven't had any recent, real success and they're second fiddle to football and MSU basketball.  I don't think shoe exposure is a relevant criteria unless you're at Oregon.  And don't understate the loads of talent in Illinois in which no other major in-state school is competing for.

Take away Coach K and what does Duke have? Irrelevant point.

Matt Painter almost left Purdue? He leveraged himself into a better contact. Bruce Weber almost left Illinois for Oklahoma, and didn't get a better contract. Using your logic, the Illinois coach thought Oklahoma might be a better gig, but Buzz turned down Oklahoma.

Illinois being in the same state of Chicago has very little importance. You over estimate the connecting between inner-city Chicago and the wasteland of UC. Anyone can come in and recruit Chicago successfully, but it takes time. The best of the best Chicago recruits are leaving for promises other than playing time. It's the Steve Taylors that can be recruited and you don't need to be from some hillbilly town 130 miles to the south to have an advantage.

Basically the only strong point you have is that Illlinois has a worse football program than their basketball program.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2012, 03:07:12 PM »
Agreed.
And Michigan is a better job than Wisconsin or Illinois.
People seem to forget that before Ed Martin blew up in their face, Michigan went to 12 NCAAs in 14 seasons, making several deep runs along the way.

So many people underestimate Michigan and the giant that's still sleeping over there. I think Jim Beilein is a good coach, but he's not bringing the polish to reluster that program.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2012, 03:13:30 PM »
Kohl Center is a big reason. Illinois is far behind on the facilities aspect. Sustained success under Bo is the other reason.

It's really interesting to look at Bo Ryan and Bruce Weber's record.  They each won the B10 in their first two years, inheriting another coaches recruits.  (Dick Bennett IMO is really the one that deserves credit for rebuilding that program, and was a much better recruiter than Bo.)

After those two years for each of them, they have essentially been about equal...with the exception of 2006-07 when UW won the title and Illinois finished 9th. 

Clarence

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2012, 03:21:55 PM »
Illinois currently has 5 players from the city of Chicago and 2 others from suburban Chicago.  So while they don't get all the best Chicago kids, they certainly get their share of a very talent rich area.   In the right hands (Self,Kruger) you can win.  I think it is a very attractive position to 90% of division 1 coaches.  

If I were the U of I AD I would be working back channels to get Kevin Stallings from Vanderbilt.  He is from down state IL, coached at Illinois State and could be looking for a pay day.    

🏀

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2012, 03:28:06 PM »
Illinois currently has 5 players from the city of Chicago and 2 others from suburban Chicago.  So while they don't get all the best Chicago kids, they certainly get their share of a very talent rich area.   In the right hands (Self,Kruger) you can win.  I think it is a very attractive position to 90% of division 1 coaches.  

If I were the U of I AD I would be working back channels to get Kevin Stallings from Vanderbilt.  He is from down state IL, coached at Illinois State and could be looking for a pay day.    

Stallings is a good friend of Bruce Weber. That will be an interesting situation, Stallings would thrive in the Big Ten.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2012, 03:31:53 PM »
Take away Coach K and what does Duke have? Irrelevant point.

Matt Painter almost left Purdue? He leveraged himself into a better contact. Bruce Weber almost left Illinois for Oklahoma, and didn't get a better contract. Using your logic, the Illinois coach thought Oklahoma might be a better gig, but Buzz turned down Oklahoma.

Illinois being in the same state of Chicago has very little importance. You over estimate the connecting between inner-city Chicago and the wasteland of UC. Anyone can come in and recruit Chicago successfully, but it takes time. The best of the best Chicago recruits are leaving for promises other than playing time. It's the Steve Taylors that can be recruited and you don't need to be from some hillbilly town 130 miles to the south to have an advantage.

Basically the only strong point you have is that Illlinois has a worse football program than their basketball program.
I made several other points that are right and that you chose to ignore or disregard. I lost you when you went on about my logic and Illinois and Buzz...

🏀

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2012, 03:39:05 PM »
I made several other points that are right and that you chose to ignore or disregard. I lost you when you went on about my logic and Illinois and Buzz...

What did I ignore?

Take away Bo Ryan from UW and what do you have? UW bball is second fiddle to football with a very rceent tradition.  Matt Painter almost just left Purdue (his alma mater) for Mizzou because of the lack of commitment from the AD and they have to deal with IU, ND, and Butler now.  Michigan you might have a case, but they haven't had any recent, real success and they're second fiddle to football and MSU basketball.  I don't think shoe exposure is a relevant criteria unless you're at Oregon.  And don't understate the loads of talent in Illinois in which no other major in-state school is competing for.

The shoe affiliation! My bad. If you don't think that AAU programs/shoe affiliations don't mean anything then you need to pay closer attention. The fact that we are Jordan, with our jersey designs, are a big deal for recruiting.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2012, 03:47:03 PM »
What did I ignore?

The shoe affiliation! My bad. If you don't think that AAU programs/shoe affiliations don't mean anything then you need to pay closer attention. The fact that we are Jordan, with our jersey designs, are a big deal for recruiting.

Forget it...Let me just put it this way...If by some miracle, Purdue, Wisconsin, and Illinois are all looking for a coach at the end of the season no candidate is going to choose Purdue or Wisconsin over Illinois.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2012, 03:49:12 PM »
Forget it...Let me just put it this way...If by some miracle, Purdue, Wisconsin, and Illinois are all looking for a coach at the end of the season no candidate is going to choose Purdue or Wisconsin over Illinois.

No, please. Back up what you're trying to say, you just said I ignored everything you said. Don't run away now.

feedback