[Today at 07:52:45 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Republican Debate !  (Read 24687 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
LA Times on Fred....it's just starting
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2007, 02:49:13 PM »

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
Re: Republican Debate !
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2007, 03:17:53 PM »
Good God, what? It's completely true.

This is what politics is. Context doesn't matter, everything is black and white.

If you can take a line out of a speech and twist it to your needs, I don't see the problem with abstracting it another layer and taking a line out of a movie. Its all wrong. Are we arguing a level of wrongness?

And, let's be honest, if this was happening to George Clooney or Sean Penn would you care at all?
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2007, 03:20:13 PM »

This is what politics is. Context doesn't matter, everything is black and white.

If you can take a line out of a speech and twist it to your needs, I don't see the problem with abstracting it another layer and taking a line out of a movie. Its all wrong. Are we arguing a level of wrongness?

And, let's be honest, if this was happening to George Clooney or Sean Penn would you care at all?

What's completely true...a guy that played a role as a racist 19 years ago in a television series means he is... in fact...a racist? 

I hope that is not what you are saying.  More importantly is the LA Times writer, who took 2 comments out of 38 to make this giant leap of faith.  Having lived here in Los Angeles most of my life, it doesn't surprise me one iota that the Times would go down this path.  They will take it many times in the coming 12 months and beyond, that is for sure.  What a rag that thing is.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 03:22:11 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2007, 03:33:41 PM »
Just like that.

You took one sentence out of my entire post and the site you referenced and made it say whatever made me look worst. Are you in office?

The article you pointed to was not about him being a racist (although the LAT article may have been, I didnt read it). It was about how a person, running for public office, in this day and age of both extreme party animosity and far and wide internet reach (ala YouTube) has to be careful with everything they say, whether in a speech, in a whisper or as an actor. It will all be used against them if it can be.

That's what is true.

BigSky

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2007, 05:52:10 PM »
RUN FRED RUN!!!

Thompson / Hunter in 2008

By the way, the questions last night were utterly ridiculous.  And having 4 libs do the commentary on MSDNC (MSNBC) was a joke.  Chrissy Matthews, Andrea Mitchell, Keith Overbite, and Howard Fineman.  I mean, is it at all possible to have a conservative in the media for at least some balance...wait, don't answer that.

http://newsbusters.org/node/12513

You're right BigSky, it's inappropriate...I should act more like the liberal way and how they treat conservatives.

Calling them Hitler, Nazis, calling the President Chimp...etc, etc.  I'll act more like that.

LOL   ;D
What is it with all the fun poking with people's physical appearances and gender and names...?  Debating issues is one thing....

Did you not get enough hugs as a child?  Petty and angry.   

Again...your philosophy is two wrongs make a right.  You have a lot of bent up anger in your posts.  If you asked I am sure those in your family and friends circles would give you a hug or two. 

You are making my comments about Conservatives vs Republicans.  My comments were about neither.  They were about your comments. 

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2007, 01:19:24 PM »
Romney's favorite book is Battlefield Earth, for God's sake!

what did George W. say his favorite book was... The Hungry Little Caterpillar?? or was it The Little Engine That Could (Im almost positive it was one of them)  I don't think republicans really care all that much about what their favorite book is, just the three G's, Guns, Gays, and God   .... ok that was hateful, and I didn't see much of the republican debate and I should have, for I could bring more to this talk, and just reading the first few posts, I think Romney (believe thats his name) being Mormon will kill him.  It is sad that there are people that won't vote based on sex, race or religion, I am young, but I remember there was a big stink about Kennedy being Catholic (among other things)... if some people have problems with Catholicism, just imagine a religion that allows Polygamy.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2007, 01:41:18 PM »

What's completely true...a guy that played a role as a racist 19 years ago in a television series means he is... in fact...a racist? 

I hope that is not what you are saying.  More importantly is the LA Times writer, who took 2 comments out of 38 to make this giant leap of faith.  Having lived here in Los Angeles most of my life, it doesn't surprise me one iota that the Times would go down this path.  They will take it many times in the coming 12 months and beyond, that is for sure.  What a rag that thing is.

don't worry too much about someone's past, America can get past it, I mean look at George W's past, dodging the war, getting drunk and coked out in college... only other country besides America that he went to before being elected was Mexico... and not for political reasons...  now do I get drunk in college yes, mostly everyone does, its a time when we can before we grow up, however I am not planning on running for president, if I was, I probably wouldn't, if I was in George W's shoes, instead of hugging Jack Daniels, I would have hugged mock speeches to try and give speeches better  :)

and now that we are talking about Fox News, and showing links.. here are some I love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlOKZZ0-2u0&mode=related&search=

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2007, 03:54:58 PM »

What I still don't understand is what exactly should Fred Thompson have to "overcome" anyway.  He played a part as an actor and yet the Times is trying to say "if he played the part he must think that way"....have we really become that stupid as society to believe that attempted correlation?  Wow 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 03:56:56 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2007, 07:26:28 AM »
Thompson is unelectable. In order for the Republicans to win in 2008 they need to nominate a candidate nearer to the center like Rudy or Romney. The time will be right someday to elect another conservative-----but the political climate dictates that time isn't now!

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2007, 08:37:29 AM »
France just elected a conservative president, Canada did recently and I think Spain and Mexico did likewise in their most recent elections.  I think many nations are living in a conservative climate.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2007, 10:09:16 AM »
im afraid that republicans will fall in love with mitt romney who is the republican version of john kerry.  hes from the same state and is a major flip-flopper.

rudy clearly lost the debate.  he was the only pro-choice one (and his reasoning was pretty poor) and he was one of two that support the use of embryonic stem cells in science (again poor logic).  plus rudy barely knew the difference between shiite and sunni's.  he has a long way to go.  mccain didnt look so hot either, it seemed he wasnt allowed to speak as much as romney or rudy was, plus he looked really really old.  dick cheney old.

i would say that Brownback presented himself the best.  he talked about putting more focus in bringing families back together, which is one of the most important issues in america.  alot of our societial problems stem from broken homes.  he just did a good job in general...i agreed with most of what he said.

my sleeper is that guy from arkansas.  he did a pretty good job as well.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2007, 07:29:33 PM »
Thompson is unelectable. In order for the Republicans to win in 2008 they need to nominate a candidate nearer to the center like Rudy or Romney. The time will be right someday to elect another conservative-----but the political climate dictates that time isn't now!

You may be right Murff, but conservatives haven't seen a conservative in the White House since Reagan and they are looking for one.  Bush or his father certainly aren't conservative and we all know Clinton wasn't.  It abhors many conservatives to even think of voting for Rudy or McCain.

Do not be surprised to see a major 3rd party candidate this time around.  The primaries will basically be done in February now that both parties and their complicit states have completed f'd up that process.  California, New York, Florida all electing their primary candidate in the first weeks of the new year.  That means 10 months of dealing with the two candidates chosen which is going to ware a lot of people out.  By June people are going to be screaming for an alternative.  That candidate won't win, but might syphon off enough to make it fun.

Hillary or McCain....what's the difference really?

mviale

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2007, 09:52:09 PM »
Hillary and Mccain are a mess.

Obama is the real deal - hopefully he survives the clinton onslaught
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2007, 07:38:44 AM »
Chico----usually a real conservative will get elected after a period of Dem rule------GWB is IMO a conservative (war on terror---tax cuts---supreme court nominees---abortion & gun issues, etc), but as he described himself  "a compassionate conservative"-----when you have compassion you tend to spend a little more money on social issues (Medicare Drug plan)-----but even there he encouraged its patronage through private insurers.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2007, 08:45:47 AM »
if obama is elected then there is truly something wrong with our country.

i agree that hillary and mccain are virtually the same.  i would take one of those two over rudy and obama. 

brownback is the real deal, i wish more people would start pimpin this guy.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2007, 10:03:08 AM »
"a little more money on social issues (Medicare Drug Plan)"  .. A little more money?  Thanks for the laugh!

augoman

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2007, 11:40:46 AM »
obama might have been okay if he weren't 1)a carpet bagger in the style of hillary rodham, 2)a part of the jesse jackson machine, 3)involved in real estate scandal during his 2 years of admin experience, 4)still very green.
give us someone else, please.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2007, 01:11:19 PM »
Um .. could you explain the carpetbagger comment about Obama?  He lived in Chicago for a decade before running for office there.  Hillary lived in NY about 8 minutes before she declared for the US Senate.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2007, 02:16:16 PM »
Great article today.  I enjoyed the last sentence immensely

http://newsbusters.org/node/12612

Finally, Republicans should mock the Democratic withdrawal from Fox with a loud, continuing question: How will Hillary & Co handle Osama bin Laden when they don’t have the courage to handle questioning from Brit Hume?

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2007, 05:04:47 PM »
Was there a fact in that article?

I don't see MSNBC as left at all (so, maybe I'm leaning way left these days :-), but Fox is decidedly right. I have no problem with them existing, and I have no problem with the Democrats not wanting to endorse them.

BUT...I've yet to see anyone go through each debate and provide a serious look, question by question, follow-up by follow-up, at whether or not either was biased. Instead, you get a article like this, that makes wild assumptions with no basis. The one quote from the Republican debate -- "Would it be good for America to have Bill Clinton back living in the White House?" -- I personally took as a stab at the "lack of morallity" of the left; You can add an agenda to just about any statement.

The only other "proof" of liberal bias was the question from the Washington Post: "What do you dislike most about America?" How is that showing any liberal bias at all? In fact, that sounds like a question us liberals have to answer all the time, except it typically reads "Why do you hate America?" Are we saying that hard questions, questions that make you actually reveal something about your character, are liberal now too?

Awful article today.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2007, 07:03:36 PM »
Nobody with any sense accuses liberals for "hating America"-----some of the things that bother me about liberals is their tolerance in the face of threats from abroad, their thirst for higher taxes to redistribute wealth, excluive reliance on government plans as a solution to the looming crisis in medicare & Social Security, and their turning away from the plight of life in the womb ------(among other things).

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2007, 01:27:21 PM »
Nathan

You don't see MSNBC to the left?  Keith Olbermann?  Chris Matthews (worked for two Democratic Congressmen before getting into news business).  Etc, etc.

Conservatives don't see Fox as conservative and liberals don't see MSNBC, CBS, ABC, CNN, NBC as liberal....why...because what they report to those constituencies they largely agree with.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2007, 05:49:58 PM »
msnbc definetely favors the left.  as a matter of fact, most media agencies aside from fox news are decidedly on the left.  im not sure that fox news leans as much to the right as all the others do to the left but fox news is definetely the closest to unbiased.  everyone just thinks its biased to the right because they're so used to the CNN, MSNBCs, etc of the world.

fox news should host all debates.

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2007, 07:16:12 PM »
I guess I need some proof. Just saying agencies are left or right doesn't mean anything.

I don't watch it enough to actually see the bias, but even the London bureau chief for Fox News said they were heavy right and that it was part of their appeal. Once again, I don't have a problem with that. Just about all sides deserve a venue. Realize that they are not going for "fair and balanced" though. If they were, would they need the slogan?

Just because a person worked for a democrat doesn't mean they can't be non-partisan. I've asked for an example of biased questioning between the two debates, and no one's responded yet.

Soudns to me like yet another republican talking point ("liberal media!"), that, said enough, will eventually be taken for granted. How an organization that actually made liberal a dirty word can claim they somehow are denied fair coverage by a liberal media is beyond me.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2007, 11:36:26 PM »
I guess I need some proof. Just saying agencies are left or right doesn't mean anything.

I don't watch it enough to actually see the bias, but even the London bureau chief for Fox News said they were heavy right and that it was part of their appeal. Once again, I don't have a problem with that. Just about all sides deserve a venue. Realize that they are not going for "fair and balanced" though. If they were, would they need the slogan?

Just because a person worked for a democrat doesn't mean they can't be non-partisan. I've asked for an example of biased questioning between the two debates, and no one's responded yet.

Soudns to me like yet another republican talking point ("liberal media!"), that, said enough, will eventually be taken for granted. How an organization that actually made liberal a dirty word can claim they somehow are denied fair coverage by a liberal media is beyond me.

How about 20 major studies the last 30 years by Pew, UCLA, Stanford, etc, etc analyzing media voting patterns, survey data, etc....would that help?

Happy to post those if you wish.  As just a small example, in 1992 89% of the media voted for Bill Clinton when the American public only gave Clinton 43%.   WHOA.  That's not just a small statistical outlyer, but a major tectonic shift.

When papers like the NY Times haven't endorsed a Republican for President in 80 years except ONE TIME (Eisenhower) or the Washington Post NEVER having done it, that makes you scratch your head.  I mean, these papers really thought Jimmy Carter deserved a second term? 

At any rate, I'm happy to dig up those surveys or you can find them quite easily with a search.

I still love Walter Kronkite's honest answer a few years ago.  "Of course we (the media) are liberal"