Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The Year of No Student Section?????  (Read 10100 times)

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
Re: The Year of No Student Section?????
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2012, 08:08:38 AM »
Only one way to resolve this: the MU Marketing Department has to figure out some way to open up the student section to alumni for a game. Let's see how many of us alumni show up in gold and stand and cheer for an entire game. I would be up for it, but I'm also not one of those criticizing the current student body for their game performance.  (Plus I'd like to see how many 8 oz. Millers I can fit in my current parka to sneak into the BC!)

Dedicated game, ticket swap, whatever - get to it boys!

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2012, 08:15:09 AM »
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2012, 09:04:25 AM »

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2012, 09:17:36 AM »
Only one way to resolve this: the MU Marketing Department has to figure out some way to open up the student section to alumni for a game. Let's see how many of us alumni show up in gold and stand and cheer for an entire game. I would be up for it, but I'm also not one of those criticizing the current student body for their game performance.  (Plus I'd like to see how many 8 oz. Millers I can fit in my current parka to sneak into the BC!)

I like that idea! I sat (or stood) there for a few games and loved it.

bkhahn

• Walk-On
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2012, 11:02:25 AM »
The Young Alumni Association has tried that a few times in the past (Fanatics Throwback Nights).  They had to charge for the tickets however, so turnout was pretty low.  If there's enough interest I'm sure they'd look into coordinating another night.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2012, 11:13:40 AM »
I never bought into the whole "I need to study" excuse. Students have every syllabus well in advance. They know when tests are coming. It's all about time management. If you stay on top of your school work then you won't need to cram the night before a test and you can go do things like enjoy a basketball game. If you put off your work then you'll be studying the night of a game. Students are in class maybe 3-4 hours a day and then work another 4 hours, if that. You can get a lot accomplished with 16 hours of free time a day.

Yes, I'm a quality engineer who works in process improvement  ;)

Oh, and the MU student section has always been underwhelming, IMO.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2012, 11:36:30 AM »
I never bought into the whole "I need to study" excuse. Students have every syllabus well in advance. They know when tests are coming. It's all about time management. If you stay on top of your school work then you won't need to cram the night before a test and you can go do things like enjoy a basketball game. If you put off your work then you'll be studying the night of a game. Students are in class maybe 3-4 hours a day and then work another 4 hours, if that. You can get a lot accomplished with 16 hours of free time a day.

Yes, I'm a quality engineer who works in process improvement  ;)

Oh, and the MU student section has always been underwhelming, IMO.

Trying to get college kids to prepare for a test days before test day?  That's never going to happen.

The student section can seem overwhelming, but the arena makes it tough for even a sold out student to be as big of a factor as it is at other schools around the country.  It's the pros and cons of playing in an NBA arena, they get to sell way more tickets and way more people get to come to the games, but it's all spread out because it wasn't built to have that "college fanatic" appeal.  At the BC, there's like a foot in between rows in the student section, and they are real far away from the court.  At Cameron, the students are all on top of each other, packed on top of the court.  It makes it look (and feel) a lot more intense. 

Plus, in general, I've always been a fan of the student section being parellel with the court, right across from the TV cameras.  That way, you're seen the entire game, jumping around and chanting, supporting your team on.  Sure, it's cool when the opposing team is shooting free throws right into the student section, but I don't know, I'd like to see how it would work at the BC the other way. Just my opinion.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2012, 11:43:58 AM »
I never bought into the whole "I need to study" excuse. Students have every syllabus well in advance. They know when tests are coming. It's all about time management. If you stay on top of your school work then you won't need to cram the night before a test and you can go do things like enjoy a basketball game.

Ahhhh ahahahahahahaahhha. Ahhhh hahahahahahahaha. What a dumb comment.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

MUWarrior11

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2012, 12:12:31 PM »
I don't think people realize how big of an impact an arena has on a student section. Marquette students are:
a)really, really far away from the court
b)separated into various sections in the lower bowl (106 is isolated from everyone else)
c)separated into two levels (upper and lower bowl)

The Bradley Center could not be any LESS intimate. Compare it to basically any other arena in the country.  SLU, ND, Xavier, Mizzou, etc.  Those are BASKETBALL arenas.  Students are right on top of the court.  Honestly, the only reason I like the BC is because they serve beer (I take this for granted!). Other than that, not much I like.  Too corporate. Too gimmicky. Too big. Too bland. I'd take consistent sell-outs at a smaller arena anyday.

With all that being said, there's not any other options. The BC is the best (and only) option for MU. It's also a money maker. I get all that. It's just that it severely compromises intimacy and fan experience.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2012, 12:16:24 PM »
I don't think people realize how big of an impact an arena has on a student section. Marquette students are:
a)really, really far away from the court
b)separated into various sections in the lower bowl (106 is isolated from everyone else)
c)separated into two levels (upper and lower bowl)

The Bradley Center could not be any LESS intimate. Compare it to basically any other arena in the country.  SLU, ND, Xavier, Mizzou, etc.  Those are BASKETBALL arenas.  Students are right on top of the court.  Honestly, the only reason I like the BC is because they serve beer (I take this for granted!). Other than that, not much I like.  Too corporate. Too gimmicky. Too big. Too bland. I'd take consistent sell-outs at a smaller arena anyday.

With all that being said, there's not any other options. The BC is the best (and only) option for MU. It's also a money maker. I get all that. It's just that it severely compromises intimacy and fan experience.

And it sells alcohol...

🏀

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2012, 12:26:14 PM »
And it sells alcohol...

All that needs to be said.

MUWarrior11

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2012, 12:28:18 PM »
All that needs to be said.

Which, I agree, is a huge plus.  But if someone says that is "all that matters," then that person probably shouldn't expect students to act like they are courtside at Cameron Indoor. Pros and Cons.  Alcohol-pro. Sitting 3 miles from the court- con.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2012, 12:30:59 PM »
looks like ticket prices are gonna increase a bit too:

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/news/2012/02/10/bradley-center-raises-ticket-fees.html

Doesn't mean that student tickets will necessarily skyrocket however they might get bumped up. I think the BC folks really want a new arena, but thats for another discussion.

This debate of Games over Christmas break kind of begs the question: Should the NCAA reschedule college basketball and make it a "2nd semester sport?" You could move back the season tip off until after the students get back from winter break. The two downsides to that would probably be 1) ESPN has a crapfit 2) the NCAA would have to rebrand March Madness

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2012, 12:34:20 PM »
I remember the days of Wade and the Big Three where the student sections were big and they all stood and cheered for the ENTIRE GAME.

It's funny because I remember complaining about the student section in the timeframe you mentioned as well.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2012, 12:38:26 PM »
Which, I agree, is a huge plus.  But if someone says that is "all that matters," then that person probably shouldn't expect students to act like they are courtside at Cameron Indoor. Pros and Cons.  Alcohol-pro. Sitting 3 miles from the court- con.

Should be better than Cameron Indoor. Should be lewd, offensive and stupid.

It's even better if your a ways from the court and your sitting next to the opposing team's parents. Harangody's mom knows what I'm talking about.

MUWarriors92

• Walk-On
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2012, 12:38:54 PM »
Plus, in general, I've always been a fan of the student section being parallel with the court, right across from the TV cameras.  That way, you're seen the entire game, jumping around and chanting, supporting your team on.  Sure, it's cool when the opposing team is shooting free throws right into the student section, but I don't know, I'd like to see how it would work at the BC the other way. Just my opinion.

If there's a way that Marquette could get hundreds of alumni to move their season tickets from parallel to the court to behind the basket or in the upper deck, then I'm all for that. But it doesn't seem possible.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2012, 12:39:22 PM »
It's funny because I remember complaining about the student section in the timeframe you mentioned as well.

Agreed. I remember being in the student section and complaining.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2012, 12:45:14 PM »
+1000

And anyone who refers to a student who skip games to study as a "kitten" is an Ass Clown by definition.  Some day when you are in the hospital with cirrhosis of the liver and diabetes, it may well be a former Marquette kitten who saves your life.  And you will be grateful that kitten didn't blow off studying the chapters on pancreas and liver function to see Marquette whoop Mt. St. Mary's.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2012, 12:47:30 PM »
The fact that the BC is a giant cavern that absorbs noise and the students site about a mile from the court are valid arguments.

Unless you have a spare $30 to $50 million lying around and want to donate it for a new arena, not much can be done about this.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2012, 12:48:01 PM »
+1000

And anyone who refers to a student who skip games to study as a "kitten" is an Ass Clown by definition.  Some day when you are in the hospital with cirrhosis of the liver and diabetes, it may well be a former Marquette kitten who saves your life.  And you will be grateful that kitten didn't blow off studying the chapters on pancreas and liver function to see Marquette whoop Mt. St. Mary's.

And probably be the most boring people in the world.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2012, 12:48:41 PM »
The fact that the BC is a giant cavern that absorbs noise and the students site about a mile from the court are valid arguments.

Unless you have a spare $30 to $50 million lying around and want to donate it for a new arena, not much can be done about this.

...and some property in the downtown area would help.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2012, 12:53:07 PM »
Speaking of vacant property, I have a question for you Milwaukeans. What is that vacant city block north of the BC?  Who owns it?  Why is it vacant?  They could make a boatload on parking but it's vacant.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2012, 12:57:01 PM »
Speaking of vacant property, I have a question for you Milwaukeans. What is that vacant city block north of the BC?  Who owns it?  Why is it vacant?  They could make a boatload on parking but it's vacant.

Left over from the freeway that ran to the eastside. I believe it's City own property, trying to get developers interested.

If the newest Schlitz Park development happens, that'll be valuable land.

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2012, 01:02:59 PM »
Left over from the freeway that ran to the eastside. I believe it's City own property, trying to get developers interested.

If the newest Schlitz Park development happens, that'll be valuable land.

County-owned, since it used to be freeway.  Maybe we can build a new arena on it...preferably one specifically for basketball.

LON

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2012, 01:08:22 PM »
And it sells alcohol...

Today's kittens only drink Smirnoff ice, bro.  Then they do slap of 5's to congratulate themselves on how they're about to be your boss because they aced their tests.

This.