[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Iman Shumpert to visit MU?  (Read 6880 times)

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Iman Shumpert to visit MU?
« on: April 30, 2007, 11:24:17 AM »
per the Bullseye guys, who say that Shumpert is MU's #1 backcourt target for the class of 2008

"Absolutely nobody turned more heads with his outstanding play in Akron than 6'3 combo guard Iman Shumpert from Oak Park High School in Oak Park, IL.  With that being said, Illinois Prep Bulls-eye has learned from very good authorities that Shumpert will visit both Marquette University and the University of Illinois in the upcoming future, possibly before the start of the summer.  Shumpert is the #1 recruiting priority among guards in the 2008 class for both of these schools. "

http://www.ilprepbullseye.com/page39.html

Chicago Hoops reports that TC was all over Shumpert this past weekend at the King James Classic

Class of 2008 Oak Park-River Forest star Iman Shumpert, who was amazing all weekend long for Full Package at King James had an impressive list of schools and coaches tracking his every move. Marquette, and head coach Tom Crean were front and center all weekend. Illinois trailed Shumpert, and even had Bruce Weber, Tracy Webster and Wayne McClain all at his game on Sunday morning. Northwestern, Notre Dame, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Wisconsin, Iowa and Bradley head coach Jim Les also followed his every move. Shumpert didn't disappoint with strong play every time on the floor. Don't be at all surprised to see Shumpert start to pop up as a Top 50 prospect nationally.

http://www.chicagohoops.com/articles1/akronnotes.html
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 11:27:27 AM by NYWarrior »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: Iman Shumpert to visit MU?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 11:48:19 AM »
Thanks for the recruiting updates today NY!

augoman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 12:14:02 PM »
great stuff!  crossing fingers now.

SGWarrior

• Starter
  • "I'm a winning guy."
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 01:35:41 PM »
Love the Marquette mention with Shumpert, but not too confident he'll head up I-94 to Marquette.  It looks like his 'Dream' school is Clemson.

http://windycityhshoops.com/journals/iman/iman.htm

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 07:16:26 PM »
Clemson?

I wonder what connection someone from Illinois has to Clemson?  Is he originally from there?  Is it just because they have the same colors as the uniform he is wearing in the photo?

Clemson?

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 08:20:32 PM »
Don't forget these SAVORY reads from the Chicago Hoops page:

Class of 2009 Illinois Bobcats star Michael Haynes of Chicago Washington has a scholarship offer on the table from Marquette.

Marquette, and head coach Tom Crean have a great track record of success with Chicago players, and have been pretty much in every gym where Chicago prospects are playing. Iman Shumpert and 6-8 MeanStreets post Josh Crittle of Chicago Hales Franciscan are among the 2008 prospects on the Marquette radar screen.
SS Marquette

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 10:34:30 PM »
One of my best friends did the interview with him so Im positive its legit...

Iman Shumpert 6’4 Junior, Oak Park-River Forest

Iman Shumpert is one of the fastest rising juniors in the state of Illinois.  A 6’4 wing with a smooth stroke, Shumpert has above average ball handling and passing skills for his size.  Shumpert is also improving as a defender, and plays with a lot of passion.  Recently Shumpert played well in the Pontiac Holiday Tournament and was even named to the all-tournament team.

1. How does it feel to make the all tournament team?

It feels nice to be named as a junior, and from my team.  I wasn’t expecting it.

2. Which schools are after you right now?

Illinois, Northwestern, Bradley, Nevada, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Northern Iowa, Northern Illinois, Butler, Illinois State.  I can’t think of all of them.  

3. Do you have a favorite at this point?

My dream school has always been Clemson University, but right now I haven’t put together a final list or anything.  I’m going to wait until after the season to do that.

4. Why is Clemson your dream school?

When I was little I always wanted to play in the ACC.  Most of the kids picked the Dukes, or the Georgia Techs, or the North Carolinas.  I’ve always liked orange and blue, and I didn’t want to be with Illinois with everybody.  I’ve never liked the schools that everybody else likes and Clemson always seemed to have a good team to me and since then I’ve liked Clemson.  

5. Are there other factors in your college decision such as location or academics?

I feel like the best school that can take me to the next level both academically and athletically is the school that I’ll go to.  Probably that’s where I’ll most feel at home.

http://windycityhshoops.com/recruiting/iman.htm
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 10:39:49 PM by spartan3186 »

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 11:24:26 PM »
Alright I just got off the phone with my friend who wrote the article regarding Shumpert and he says we "have no chance in hell" at signing him. He has talked to many of the parties involved (Shumpert and Bruce Weber in particular) and Shumpert seems to be leaning east coast. Apparently he is Weber's #1 recruiting target for the entire class of '08 and my friend does not think Illinois has a shot either. Anyways just passing info on from someone with first hand knowledge

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 12:18:05 AM »
Alright I just got off the phone with my friend who wrote the article regarding Shumpert and he says we "have no chance in hell" at signing him. He has talked to many of the parties involved (Shumpert and Bruce Weber in particular) and Shumpert seems to be leaning east coast. Apparently he is Weber's #1 recruiting target for the entire class of '08 and my friend does not think Illinois has a shot either. Anyways just passing info on from someone with first hand knowledge

Not to be picky, but wouldn't the Bullseye Brothers also have first hand knowledge?

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2007, 02:03:42 AM »
propably, I'm just saying that he heard it come out of shumperts mouth... I'd love to have him I just don't know if we will, I personally have no clue what's going on in the recruiting world so I was just passing on info I have access to.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2007, 07:47:21 AM »
One of my best friends did the interview with him so Im positive its legit...

4. Why is Clemson your dream school?

When I was little I always wanted to play in the ACC.  Most of the kids picked the Dukes, or the Georgia Techs, or the North Carolinas.  I’ve always liked orange and blue, and I didn’t want to be with Illinois with everybody.  I’ve never liked the schools that everybody else likes and Clemson always seemed to have a good team to me and since then I’ve liked Clemson.   

Not to get onto a whole different topic... but I think this quote says a lot of recruiting in general.

We all love to speculate where kids are going, and where kids should go, and why they should go there... but we all have to remember that we are dealing with kids and sometimes their decisions aren't based upon "playing time", "offense", "history" or whatever else we all speculate on. Sometimes its just based upon a kid's "gut" or whatever he has developed an affinity towards.

That is why when MU doesn't land a star big man, you can't just blame it on the coaches, the offense, the arena, the fans, etc.... we really can't know for sure why some kids don't chose to go to MU... sometimes recruits just like other schools better for some reason we could never know about (school colors, food, campus, girls, dorms, etc.)

End of rant.

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2007, 08:37:45 AM »
Question for Spartan...your post is a little confusing are you saying your buddy asked him about MU and he directly told him "no chance in hell"?     And if so can you elaborate as to why and as to why he would say that?

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2007, 10:29:25 AM »
The fact that he didn't list us as one of his main choices in that one article clip further up is one indication. Also, I think the post just before yours Harrison gives ample reasoning to why he would not want to come here if that is the case.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2007, 01:26:13 PM »
Harrison-

Shumpert did not say there is no chance in hell about marquette. After talking to shumpert it is my friends belief that there is no way he will stay in the midwest. This could all change, after all he is a high school junior, but thats just my friends opinion after talking to shumpert.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2007, 01:32:39 PM »
The fact that he didn't list us as one of his main choices in that one article clip further up is one indication. Also, I think the post just before yours Harrison gives ample reasoning to why he would not want to come here if that is the case.

He didn't mention Wisconsin either in his list...yet Wisconsin offered as well.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2007, 01:49:12 PM »
When it comes to Illinois HS recruiting, I will believe the Bullseye Bros. above all. And if they say the kid is going to visit MU, I would have to believe we are on his list and have a chance at landing. They are the best in the business for Illinois.
But I like to throw handfuls...

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
New Shumpert Article
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2007, 01:28:54 PM »
Missouri Valley schools such as Bradley have company in pursuit of Shumpert

Saturday, May 26, 2007

By JOHN SUPINIE
of GATEHOUSE NEWS SERVICE

CHAMPAIGN - Life became a little more hectic this spring for Iman Shumpert, an Oak Park junior who found himself quickly climbing the national basketball recruiting rankings.
"For a second, it got out of control, and it was no fun at all,'' Shumpert said. "Now, it's slowing down a little more. I've got an idea what I'm looking for. But people are always around me. I get a lot of text messages, a whole lot of letters.''

Shumpert's basketball career jumped into the fast lane this spring when the little-known athletic combo guard impressed national recruiting analysts. After an elbow injury slowed him during much of his high school season last winter, Shumpert's stock sky-rocketed.

Ranked out of the top 100 when the spring AAU season began, Shumpert (his first name is pronounced EEE-mahn) heads into the summer ranked No. 15 nationally among incoming high school seniors by Scout.com. Rivals.com has Shumpert rated at No. 41.

"He's been phenomenal all spring,'' said Dave Telep, national recruiting analyst for Scout.com. "He's a big, legitimate combo guard who I think may have a long-term future as a point guard. He's shot the ball well and has a tremendous basketball IQ.

"He's a case study in being a late bloomer. He's hitting his stride now. Some kids hit their strides early on. He couldn't be hitting it at a better time. There's no looking back now.''

Well before the rest of the nation took notice, Illinois coach Bruce Weber had his eyes on Shumpert, who is one of numerous high-level targets for Illini recruiters this summer.

Chicago Washington point forward DeAndre Liggins (a skilled passer for a big man) and Maysville (Ky.) Mason County forward Darius Miller are two names that excite Illini fans who follow recruiting. Chicago Farragut center Michael Dunigan has risen to No. 21 in the Scout.com national rankings. Washington (Mo.) shooting guard Michael Suggs and Chicago Hales Franciscan guard Matthew Humphrey also are players who will also be trailed by Illini coaches in the summer AAU season.

Illinois has two scholarships to offer for the class of 2008 (a third would be available if redshirt freshman forward C.J. Jackson plays football this fall).

Shumpert's recruitment began primarily with interest from Missouri Valley Conference schools, including Bradley. But Big Ten, Atlantic Coast and Big East programs now hound him. Since his reputation grew, Shumpert 1) speaks primarily to head coaches now, and 2) gets more respect on the court.

"Once my name got out there, you get more respect, and things open up,'' Shumpert said. "People don't guard you as tight. They don't want to get beat.''

Shumpert said he is comfortable with relationships with Weber, Marquette's Tom Crean, Bradley's Jim Les, Georgia Tech's Paul Hewitt and Clemson's Oliver Purnell. He wants to build a better relationship with Notre Dame's Mike Brey.

Shumpert won't provide a list of schools that interest him, but Duke, North Carolina, Florida and UCLA began making contact since Shumpert's stock jumped.

"I got to know of lot of (head coaches) with them coming to open gym,'' Shumpert said. "I got used to playing in front of them. When I saw them this spring, it didn't have much effect on me. I can play through it without looking to the crowd.''

Shumpert made unofficial visits to Wisconsin, Illinois, Northwestern, Bradley and Notre Dame, he said. He would like to visit Marquette, Georgia Tech and Clemson. He hopes to have five finalists by the end of the summer.

For Shumpert, it's getting hot at the right time.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2007, 03:33:48 PM »
Marshall Williams and Robert Jackson also made those mistakes.  Hopefully, he wont get sucked in by the hype of a sports school such as clemson.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 04:30:04 PM by mviale »
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Djgoldnboy

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2007, 08:21:34 AM »
If there's "no chance in hell" then why would he bother with even coming to take a look, much less a look when it was on his own dime. Your friend might want to think a little more before he starts speaking for others.

From Rosiak's blog....

"Recruiting update: Iman Shumpert, a 6-foot-4 combination guard from Oak Park High School in suburban Chicago, is taking an unofficial visit to MU today.

Considered one of the fastest-rising juniors in the country, Shumpert is also being recruited heavily by the likes of Wisconsin, Illinois, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Georgia Tech, Clemson and Bradley."

As noted above Shumpert likes coaches who were in on him from the get go...we were one of those of those schools.....
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 09:38:00 AM by Djgoldnboy »

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2007, 08:52:57 AM »
After talking to shumpert it is my friends belief that there is no way he will stay in the midwest. This could all change, after all he is a high school junior, but thats just my friends opinion after talking to shumpert.

People talking with Jim McIlvaine in high school would have said there was no chance in hell that he'd have stayed in state either.   There was also no chance in hell that Kevin Durant was going anywhere but UNC at one point two seasons ago.  Let's see how it plays out with Shumpert.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2007, 10:13:57 AM »
Rosiak claims that Shumpert is here today on an "unofficial visit".

BigSky

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2007, 07:28:35 PM »
Yes he was at MU today.  And MU is definitely in the mix.  So much for internet rumors.