'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Finally, something for the BEast basketball side  (Read 3966 times)

tower912

• All American
Finally, something for the BEast basketball side
« on: February 01, 2012, 08:41:19 PM »
http://tracking.si.com/2012/02/02/report-big-east-looking-to-add-memphis/?sct=cb_t2_a5

I'm torn.   On the one hand, I am sick of the conference re-alignment/money grab.   On the other, finally a basketball school.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Markusquette

• All American
Re: Finally, something for the BEast basketball side
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 08:42:06 PM »
That would be a nice get for the conference

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 08:47:52 PM »
Would welcone them with open arms...

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 09:08:12 PM »
After this down year for the Big East, it should be obvious that we need to add Memphis. They are the one truly elite bball school left out in the cold. Once we lose SU, Pitt, and WV, the top of our conference doesn't look very intimidating.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

DCWarriors04

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 09:52:22 PM »
Would only help the new BEast, especially if Louisville were to bolt for the Big 12

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 10:00:59 PM »
Would only help the new BEast, especially if Louisville were to bolt for the Big 12

Absolutely, I can't believe it took this long for talks to start. 

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 10:02:51 PM »
After this down year for the Big East, it should be obvious that we need to add Memphis. They are the one truly elite bball school left out in the cold. Once we lose SU, Pitt, and WV, the top of our conference doesn't look very intimidating.
What about Memphis as a program is "Truly elite"? They're 15-7 and 6-2 in CUSA. Agree it wouldnt be a bad addition to the BE, but I guess I consider elite to mean something different.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 10:09:17 PM by sixstrings03 »
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 07:13:18 AM »
If Memphis was added, they would leap to the top of my most hated school list in the Big East.  Man they have the worst fans.

Remember the guy who came around here to mock us about not getting Tarik Black?  Then I remember a fight breaking out at the C-USA tournament caught on video.... definitely started by Memphis fans.  Add to that the sleaziness of that program.

Don't get me wrong.  Would be nice to have them from a basketball standpoint.  But between Louisville, UConn, and Memphis there would be plenty of scandals on the horizon.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 07:54:21 AM »
Would rather have Temple.  But I wouldn't say no to Memphis I guess.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 08:04:24 AM »
Sounds like a very good thing.  And I suppose there's FedEx $$$ money involved for the Big East football championship game.  I saw a interview last week with the interim Big XII commisioner that expansion is definitely off the table for 2012 & 2013.  I guess the powers to be are listening to Rick Pitino?

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 09:29:09 AM »
What about Memphis as a program is "Truly elite"? They're 15-7 and 6-2 in CUSA. Agree it wouldnt be a bad addition to the BE, but I guess I consider elite to mean something different.

I consider any team that makes three straight Elite 8s in the past five years to be an elite program. Yes, they are a step down from UNC and Duke, but they have had sustained tournament success and have out recruited their conference. If they were in the Big East, I can't imagine what their recruiting classes would look like. If the choice is between schools like Memphis and Temple, then no doubt go with Memphis. The only school in a mid-major conference I might prefer would be Xavier, but then again I don't know if makes sense to double up on the Cincinnati market.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 09:54:56 AM »
http://tracking.si.com/2012/02/02/report-big-east-looking-to-add-memphis/?sct=cb_t2_a5

I'm torn.   On the one hand, I am sick of the conference re-alignment/money grab.   On the other, finally a basketball school.

I understand your first point, but that's the reality of the situation.  The BE has to work to position itself better.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 10:12:39 AM »
I assume they would be looking at adding at least one more school. 17 sounds so odd. And how many football teams would this get the BEast too? 10 I believe, with Navy coming in 2015. They could add a Temple and get to 12, or are they anticipating another schools leaving (Ville to Big XII).

I would hope this would be where the basketball schools push for another bball-only,. like Xavier, Richmond, Butler, St. Louis or Creighton.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 10:17:17 AM »

Worth pointing out that our last year in Conference USA, we were 19-12 (7-9), lost on Senior Day to SLU, Lost in the first round of the C-USA Tournament to TCU, and lost in the first round of the NIT to Western Michigan.

The following summer, we were predicted to finish 12th in the new Big East. We finished 4th.

I like the idea of adding Memphis as getting the Big East to 12 football teams would at least appear to stop the conference insanity for the time being. I'd prefer adding Xavier, SLU, Dayton, Butler, etc, schools that are actually "Basketball schools" and not just "Football schools that also have a good basketball team."

With Memphis, and losing Pitt, Syracuse, and West Virginia, the Big East essentially is the core of the old C-USA. Marquette, DePaul, Cincinnati, Louisville, USF, Houston, Memphis. Where's East Carolina and Tulane when you need 'em? If it comes to pass, 9 of the Big East's 17 basketball schools would have played in C-USA at some point in time (SMU and UCF).
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 11:01:19 AM »

They're dedicated to basketball and have a history of success.  I agree that "truly elite" is a bit of a stretch, but they are better than Houston, SMU and UCF.

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 11:15:17 AM »

They're dedicated to basketball and have a history of success.  I agree that "truly elite" is a bit of a stretch, but they are better than Houston, SMU and UCF.

And consistently better than a considerable number of teams in high major conferences, including ours.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 11:44:49 AM »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2012, 11:49:35 AM »
The BE must be close to settling the suit and letting WVU out...they want Boise in for this fall.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2012, 11:53:10 AM »
I hate Memphis.

It would be stupid not to add them though.  GET THIS DONE!!!

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2012, 05:46:21 PM »
I hate Memphis.

It would be stupid not to add them though.  GET THIS DONE!!!

This.