Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Let's talk about Jamil Wilson  (Read 3451 times)

Wade for President

• All American
Let's talk about Jamil Wilson
« on: January 30, 2012, 07:51:25 AM »

It was a roughly a month ago (I can't remember if it was during our win streak, or at the start of conference play) when I almost posted a rather negative thread on Jamil's play thus far in his young MU career. 

Like most of you, I knew Wilson was one of the more physically gifted high school players in Wisconsin.  With that talent however, came comments that his play would grow to be passive and inconsistent in long stretches of games.  Through his first 10-15 games at Marquette, I was unfortunately drawing the same conclusion on his play.  His passiveness (which drove me crazy), sometimes came across as being disinterested.  Inconsistent play, confusion on his role, growing pains and showing very limited flashes of that god given talent, were maddening.

I'm so glad that I didn't post my thoughts on Jamil's play at the time, because he now gets it.  His aggressive inspired play over the past 3-5 games could be due to many factors (getting more comfortable in his play/role, greater minutes due to Otule's injury, or buying into Buzz's gameplan).  Bottom line, I think we've seen Jamil gain confidence and mature right before our eyes these last few games.  He's coming into his own…and I freakin love it.

When I rewatched the Nova game a second time (I was hoping that there would've been half the foul calls during my second viewing), there was a moment at the 11:30 mark in the 2nd half where Jamil was in a virtual WWF-lockdown with a defender trying to gain position in the paint.  Jamil ultimately fought off his defender to get the ball and score (on a Nova goaltend call).  It was this focused energy, hustle, and commitment that proved to me that Jamil Wilson has officially arrived at Marquette.

3 blocks in each of the last 3 games.  Are you kidding me?!?   How about his now patented spin move to get a rebound when lining up for an MU free throw (which he scored on the same move in two recent games).  He’s getting more confidence in putting the ball on the floor and getting to the hoop.

We need to see greater rebound production out of him, and more consistent scoring around the hoop (a few throwdowns would be nice), but I love the strides in improvement.

I CAN'T WAIT to see Jamil Wilson blossom the next three years.  With an ever improving jumper, a presence on the defensive side of the ball, and a great frame…the sky's the limit for Jamil.

The ultimate key to Jamil taking that next step is if he applies that god given talent, and goes to battle every single night.

Mr. Wilson...your table is ready.

GGGG

• All American
Re: Let's talk about Jamil Wilson
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 08:04:25 AM »
Jamil Wilson is Jimmy Butler as a sophomore.  Wilson has a little more range.  Butler was more of an interior presence.  They are about the same size and length, high basketball IQ, and can defend.  I am not worried about Jamil in the least.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 08:25:05 AM »
Wilson's uncle sat in front of me for a BE game a couple of weeks back.  He mentioned that he could tell Jamil still was not completely comfortable on the court.  He was thinking instead of reacting.  One comment he made, which stuck out, was that when Jamil stops looking to the bench after every whistle or every play, then he will finally get it and will then start to play like the Jamil everyone is looking for.  I think that Jamil has arrived.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 08:35:17 AM »
On defense, Jamil seems to really "get it."

On offense, I think Butler is a good comparison but Jimmy always seemed to look to drive the basketball and actually seemed to seek out contact with the defender.  Jamil has seemed a bit timid; although there were two plays versus USF where he drove and was fouled in a "Butleresque" sort of way.   I think he gets it and will be doing more driving to the hole. 

One more thing, he needs to get nasty when he is within 5ft of the basket.  Forget the layups he should just jam it!!!  If he gets nasty, he will be really good. 

DoggyDaddy

• Team Captain
  • We're Warriors son, not Beagles.
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 08:49:15 AM »
We are getting the steady senior leadership from DJO and Jae, DG is doing his thing and Blue is contributing despite his shooting. Junior and Mayo are key parts but in my view the difference maker come tourney time may be Jamil's emergence as an offensive weapon, defender and all-around Buzz-type scrapper in the mold of Hayward, Butler and now, Crowder.       

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 09:25:37 AM »
Was not a fan of Jamil's until the last few games.  Still hate his 15-17 foot jumper, which he hits far too rarely to make it worthwhile unless shot clock is running out.  He has really stepped up his aggressiveness.  His confidence as it translates to his play seems to have done a complete about face from what is was about a month ago.  

He is very athletic, not strong with the ball around the rim (a common malady on this team), can challenge shots on the interior better than anyone else we have since Otule went down, and is improving game by game right before our eyes.  I think we pretty much know what everyone else on the team is at this point (at least what they are for this season).  I think Jamil is the wild card, and his level of play is going to be a key, if not the key, determining factor of how the rest of our season goes (assuming no more injuries, of course).
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 09:28:06 AM by CTWarrior »
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 09:35:00 AM »
I really like Jamil's game.  He is a really good athlete with quickness and jumping ability.  I really think he can do it all.  Would like to see him drive more to the hoop.  He looks and plays bigger than 6'7".  Wonder if he is actually 6'8+.  I think he can be  a difference maker for us hereafter.  Go Jamil!!!

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 09:55:23 AM »
I think his Mid range jumper is getting better.  That is a great shot and you just need to shot with confidence which he is starting to get the feeling for.  I would love Vander to start shooting 10 foot jumper instead of drving all the way into the Rim and throwing a super diifcult floater or getting a charging call.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 10:11:09 AM »
I think his Mid range jumper is getting better.  That is a great shot and you just need to shot with confidence which he is starting to get the feeling for.  I would love Vander to start shooting 10 foot jumper instead of drving all the way into the Rim and throwing a super diifcult floater or getting a charging call.

People talk about the three being the zone buster, but more than anything the ability to knock down a 15 footer in the middle of a 2/3 is what busts it wide open.  Do that, and they have to start collapsing on you, then you kick it out for wide open threes and the zone is toast.  Matthews did this perfectly his senior year, then Lazar took over the role, followed by Butler and Crowder.  DJO has done it multiple times with success this year as well.  Jamil looks like he's next in line to be the guy that flashes to the FT line and busts the zone as a threat to hit the jumper, drive the lane, or kick out to an open teammate.

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 10:12:58 AM »
His improving instincts defensively the last 3-4 games is what has really struck me.  I'd love to see him play next to Otule.

Jamil (barring playing time) should be up near 6+ boards a game, and needs to play stronger around the rim.  A few dunks always get the team going (look at Devante).

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 01:58:58 PM »
I am excited to see Jamil play exclusively the position he belongs next year. I think he could really friggin' good playing the 4, or even the 3 on a much more consistent basis. I think playing center definitely limits what he can give us offensively this season, but it is what it is with Otule out.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 03:58:44 PM »
Super athlete playing out of position, but I think that might help him in the long run.

He's forced to be tougher and play in the lane right now. Next year, he can be at a more natural position of 3/4 instead of 4/5.

He impressed me at a couple of scrimmages with his passing ability. Haven't seen it in games much yet, but I think we might see that as his game evolves.

Nice player, good potential. Glad he sat out a year, I think that is going to help him (only a soph. right now).

Real Chilly Podcast

• Starter
  • whassup marquette whassuuup?
    • Real Chilly Podcast
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 04:27:48 PM »
When I was a senior at MU, Jamil was a senior in HS, and a couple of my friends and I decided to drive down to Racine to check him out in a playoff game.  It wasn't a 5-star performance, but it was a nice one (maybe like 18, 11 and 3 blocks?)

The first thing that stood out was his charisma. He seemed to really get along well with his teammates, and didn't seem like a T.O. "gimme the damn ball" type of player. His unselfishness was evident.  He seemed to be a tad immature, but only in a goofy way.  With about 30 sec. left in the game, his team was up about 6 or 7, but not totally out of it, there was a timeout on the floor, and as his teammates started to gather around the coach, Jamil stood a few feet outside the huddle and danced to the hip-hop song playing over the loudspeaker.  The crowd loved it, and it got them cheering.  By some it may have been perceived as immaturity or a lack of focus, I just perceived it as him having a great personality, sense of humor, and a calmness with the game on the line.  He appeared to be a great teammate.

As far as things I noticed about his game, he sort of reminded me of a LaMarcus Aldridge type player.  Lanky 4 with the strength, balance, and length to bang inside, but most comfortable in the high-post with his faceup game.  His midrange jumper at the time already seemed to be his best offensive weapon (so honestly, right now I don't think he has much developing left to do here, just take the shots).  He had great post footwork, nifty moves, and court awareness, and I think those are still (now and going forward) going to be great assets for him.

I expect him to flourish throughout the remainder of the year, and the next two especially when he is playing 3/4.  His inside/outside ability is so well balanced, that he can be a matchup problem for both 3's and 4's.

By the time he is a senior, I think he is likely to be our best player
Listen to the Real Chilly Podcast on SoundCloud, iTunes, or Youtube.

Follow our twitter: @RealChillyPod

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 05:09:48 PM »
The first thing that stood out was his charisma. He seemed to really get along well with his teammates, and didn't seem like a T.O. "gimme the damn ball" type of player. His unselfishness was evident.  He seemed to be a tad immature, but only in a goofy way.  With about 30 sec. left in the game, his team was up about 6 or 7, but not totally out of it, there was a timeout on the floor, and as his teammates started to gather around the coach, Jamil stood a few feet outside the huddle and danced to the hip-hop song playing over the loudspeaker.  The crowd loved it, and it got them cheering.  By some it may have been perceived as immaturity or a lack of focus, I just perceived it as him having a great personality, sense of humor, and a calmness with the game on the line.  He appeared to be a great teammate.

He's 2 years older than me and we played in a few of the same tournaments when I was a senior and he was a sophomore.  Everyone knew he was a big time basketball recruit at that time and he took the time to talk to my little brother who was in grade school then.  Just a nice, down to earth kid.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

mviale

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 10:24:32 PM »
As I mentioned a while back, Otule's departure will mean opportunity and playing time for Gardner and Wilson.  They have not let us down.

You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 10:36:34 PM »
I remember when Buzz first got the job he talked about how he liked the long wing players, I think Jamil and Jimmy B were the first two legit length switchables he has recruited (E Williams didn't have the hops).  Love what Wilson brings that others on the team can't (blocks, boarding against elite athletes,etc.).   Now Buzz just needs to find that in some true 4's and 5's and look out!    Phillip Nolan would be a nice start.