Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [PaintTouches]Breaking down Marquette’s advanced statistics  (Read 2965 times)

PaintTouchesSays

Breaking down Marquette’s advanced statistics

Written by: Mark Strotman

Ken Pomeroy (KenPom.com) is a website that looks at advanced statistics in college basketball and can be a solid indicator of efficiency, both by team and individually. Pomeroy predicts Marquette will win each of its next six contests, with South … Continue reading →

http://painttouches.com/2012/01/23/breaking-down-marquettes-advanced-statistics-2/

GGGG

• All American
Re: [PaintTouches]Breaking down Marquette’s advanced statistics
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 08:06:03 AM »
This is fascinating.  So for all the worry about the offense, it is still the most effective offense in the Big East.  Clearly fueled by turnovers and defense, but those points count just as much.

Rebounding is still a problem though, and I don't think that will be getting better until next year.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 08:24:20 AM »
This is fascinating.  So for all the worry about the offense, it is still the most effective offense in the Big East.  Clearly fueled by turnovers and defense, but those points count just as much.

Rebounding is still a problem though, and I don't think that will be getting better until next year.

The ranking was MU's effective field goal percentage during conference play only.  One aspect of the offense only including conference play.

When you look at overall points per possession, which is the measure of effective offense, MU was tied for third as of last Tuesday.   That doesn't include MU going for 1.2 ppp and 62% at Providence, but I'm not going to go ahead and re-run all the conference numbers.

http://basketballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=2003

I did find it curious that all other stats were based on the entire season and that one alone was pulled out as conference play.  Otherwise, enjoyable article.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 08:28:05 AM »
Thanks Henry.  But that still is pretty good considering the issues that people seemed to be worrying about earlier this year.  Sometimes it looks ragged, and sometimes people take bad shots, but MU is still a very effective offensive team.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 08:35:12 AM »

When you look at overall points per possession, which is the measure of effective offense, MU was tied for third as of last Tuesday.   That doesn't include MU going for 1.2 ppp and 62% at Providence, but I'm not going to go ahead and re-run all the conference numbers.

After the Providence game, MU's adjusted offensive efficiency is #2 in conference play, at 107.5 according to kenpom.com,  ahead of South Florida at #3 at 106.5 and behind Syracuse at 111.7.  Not sure where the raw #'s put us.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 08:43:28 AM »
The general trends on our offense are favorable.  However, Marquette has had way too many stinker games for me to say our offense is good.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 08:50:52 AM by Henry Sugar »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 08:52:37 AM »
Stinker game or stinker stretches within games?    First half of Syracuse v second half.    Last 12 minutes of G-town v the first 28.     LSU and Vandy were both significantly larger teams that shaded Jae and DJO, didn't let their guys help, and stayed in front of the rest of our guys, taking away the drive.    Those 2 are the only full-game stinkers.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 09:21:50 AM »
Stinker game or stinker stretches within games?    First half of Syracuse v second half.    Last 12 minutes of G-town v the first 28.     LSU and Vandy were both significantly larger teams that shaded Jae and DJO, didn't let their guys help, and stayed in front of the rest of our guys, taking away the drive.    Those 2 are the only full-game stinkers.   

NFSU #2 - 0.92 ppp
UW - 0.96 ppp
LSU - 0.90 ppp
UWM - 0.98 ppp
Vandy - 0.82 ppp
Cuse - 0.89 ppp

Six games below 1.00 ppp, which is what I consider the threshold.  And that's not including games where the offense doesn't exactly burn it up like UWGB (1.03), Pitt (1.05), or UL (1.03).

MU went through a ten game stretch where they never averaged better than 1.01 ppp.  That is a long stretch of mediocre games for a "good offense". 

Again, the general trends are favorable, which seems to indicate that MU's offense really is good and will be at the end of the year.  I just personally think it's early to say the offense is back to being good.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 09:35:47 AM »
NFSU #2 - 0.92 ppp
UW - 0.96 ppp
LSU - 0.90 ppp
UWM - 0.98 ppp
Vandy - 0.82 ppp
Cuse - 0.89 ppp

Six games below 1.00 ppp, which is what I consider the threshold.  And that's not including games where the offense doesn't exactly burn it up like UWGB (1.03), Pitt (1.05), or UL (1.03).

MU went through a ten game stretch where they never averaged better than 1.01 ppp.  That is a long stretch of mediocre games for a "good offense". 

Again, the general trends are favorable, which seems to indicate that MU's offense really is good and will be at the end of the year.  I just personally think it's early to say the offense is back to being good.

It seems to me that you and tower912 could both be right; the two of you are just looking at different sample sizes.  You look at whole games only, while tower 913 is saying that MU would have been easily over the 1.00 ppp in many of their poor offensive performances, if some sizable stretches of poor offensive efficiency hadn't happened.  I guess that the lesson is if you want to avoid poor ppp for a game, a team needs to play consistently and avoid bad stretches of poor ppp.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 12:14:59 PM »
NFSU #2 - 0.92 ppp
UW - 0.96 ppp
LSU - 0.90 ppp
UWM - 0.98 ppp
Vandy - 0.82 ppp
Cuse - 0.89 ppp

So what you are saying is that the team misses Otule.  ;D
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 12:27:43 PM »
So what you are saying is that Buzz needs to fix the damn defense the team misses Otule.  ;D

well played, but now with some Sugar  ;)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 12:34:36 PM »
So Buzz needs an active 6'11 body back there for the occasional deflection, defensive rebound and blocked shot that nobody else on the team can do is what you are really saying.   ;D