'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: A few positives  (Read 7634 times)

Da 'Lanche

• All American
A few positives
« on: January 22, 2012, 10:11:33 AM »
As we roll on, not quite half way through the Big East schedule....a few positives in my opinion that have developed over the past few games:

1.  Junior seems to be getting back to a reliable playmaker with much better assist totals, fewer turnovers and an ability to make things happen running the offense, finding the open man and creating opportunities off the dribble.   Not that long ago it seemed he was out of control and in danger of losing significant playing time to Blue at the point.  He has stepped up nicely and the offense seems clearly more effective when he is running the point.

2.  Jamil Wilson is starting to show his potential impact as another scoring option as well as shot-blocker and rebounder.  That can have so much impact on DJO and Crowder as defenses will have to keep him in check as well.   He is so athletic....I sense he will continue improving throughout the year and could be a very good player for us the next two years.

3.  Intangibles....after two difficult road losses (with unreal inconsistency) the team has bounced back and does not quit.  In fact, they seem to have matured together and the fire is stronger than ever.  To get down 18-2 in your own building (and I can only imagine the nervous and negative energy in the building at the time) and come back and win handily is a great sign against Louisville.  Also was poetic justice after gagging away a giant lead at their place last year.  What can I say?  Payback is a "Pitino"

4.  It sucks that CO is out for the year, but, Davante Gardner is developing right before our eyes.  He has plenty of spots of inconsistency, but, he is a sophomore and now that he is forced into many more minutes than anticipated (probably), he is maturing on both ends of the court, including on the boards.  His recent flirting with playing some above the rim is also a nice surprise and tells me his body and athleticism is starting to mature under the strength and conditioning program.  Again, another scoring option only helps and the work underneath has been pretty solid.   At times he drives against 3 players and heaves it up (reminds me of a saturday morning YMCA basketball game) but overall his development has been a pleasure to watch.

5.  Juan Anderson getting more minutes is interesting and exciting.   He oozes talent, has size, and seems to have a great head for the game.   I love his rebounding and he is really active.   Buzz also has him playing meaningful minutes which also bodes well for his confidence, development and heading into next year I could see him taking a major leap.  I also think he can contribute positively the rest of the conference campaign.

6.  Mayo is a dynamite scorer....he just continues to flash what he can do and his 3-ball seems to be getting a bit more consistent.  He also uses his athleticism on the boards and on defense and is on the rise in both categories.  Can't imagine where we would be this year without him.   

7.  Vander is Vander and is a polarizing figure on this board.   While his offense has regressed (if that is possible), his defense, rebounding, shot-blocking and athleticism do contribute.   

8.  DJO and Crowder seem to be settling down and have been more reliable as our seniors.   They both will have spurts where they drive one crazy (what is with all the turnovers by DJO?), but they have been pretty solid lately.

So, nice rebound from the Georgetown and Syracuse losses.    This team flashes moments of brilliance and moments of chaotic underperformance.  But, the positives seem to be settling in as more consistent.    I also think some of the abovementioned items really could be significant for a nice run the rest of the way.    We shall see.   I do think the minutes and experience gained by JW, TM, DG, JA, etc. will srpingboard them into next year.    Anyway, I watched the game late last night on DVR and came away feeling more optimistic than I have been since CO went down with the knee injury.    Just wanted to accentuate the positives...

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: A few positives
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 10:31:58 AM »
1) Loving June's play of late. He's playing a mature game, which bodes well for us both this year and next.

2) I was a bit worried when Jamil wasn't contributing much early on, but I agree that he's looking like a significant part of our future right now. Even in games when he isn't playing like he did yesterday, he's getting boards, blocking shots, and not turning the ball over. While I don't expect him to do everything Jae does, I feel very confident about him playing the 4 for us next year.

3) LOL! It sure is  ;D

4) I think without CO, our expectations are deservedly lower this season. But I always thought it would be 2012-13 when we would really break through, and these kind of minutes will be huge for DG next year.

5) +1,000

6/7) Mayo and Van are becoming somewhat like Otule and Gardner. A solid 1-2 punch where neither really gives what the other does, but both combine to be very effective for us.

8) What I love about them is that they both always get their numbers. Between them, they've played 39 games this season, and had 14+ points 32 times. Only once (UW-M) have they both failed to reach 14 or better. That's reliability at its finest.

Great all around post, murobrob!
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 10:58:37 AM »
I love how Jamil is developing, but I do have concerns about our front line next year.  As it stands right now, Juan is the primary backup.  And while I do like what he has done lately, is he really going to be able to step in and contribute in a more meaningful way?  It's going to be interesting...

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 11:07:07 AM »
I love how Jamil is developing, but I do have concerns about our front line next year.  As it stands right now, Juan is the primary backup.  And while I do like what he has done lately, is he really going to be able to step in and contribute in a more meaningful way?  It's going to be interesting...

I've always had a lot of faith in Juan, but never expected much this year. In all honesty, what he added yesterday was more than I expected at any point of Big East play. I realize he'll probably get quite a few more DNPs this year, but if he can continue to get meaningful minutes in about half our Big East games, I'll be very pleased. I think that a year in the weight room will work wonders on him, and think he could be first or second off the bench next season.

Also, we'll have both Otule back and Steve Taylor coming in. I like CO and DG splitting time at the 5 and possibly playing some together, and feel that having Juan and Taylor to back up Jamil will be solid.

Interestingly, we'll probably be most undersized at the 3, where Blue and Mayo will probably alternate from 2-3 and TJ Taylor will have the chance to get minutes off the bench.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 11:17:17 AM »

I think Steve Taylor has a college ready body and will get significant minutes.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 11:19:17 AM »

I think both he and TJ have the potential to have an immediate impact, similar to how guys like DJO, Jae, Vander, and Todd have had in recent years.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 11:23:05 AM »

ST doesn't play Buzz Williams-ready defense yet though. It'll be the only thing holding him back.

THEultimateWARRIOR

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 11:23:17 AM »
spot on with all comments nice read

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 11:37:53 AM »
ST doesn't play Buzz Williams-ready defense yet though. It'll be the only thing holding him back.

I think he has the tools and skill set to do it.  It seems that HS players as the norm do not have the defensive side down.  AAU influence, IMHO.  Hopefully he picks it up quickly.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 11:41:17 AM »

4) I think without CO, our expectations are deservedly lower this season. But I always thought it would be 2012-13 when we would really break through, and these kind of minutes will be huge for DG next year.

what do you mean by "when we would really break through"

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 11:46:55 AM »
what do you mean by "when we would really break through"

I think Buzz has shown the potential to turn us into an upper-echelon team, get to Final Fours, that type of stuff. I'm not saying the UNC/Duke/Kansas level, but on that next tier with Syracuse/Florida/UConn that are able to get some top-level recruits and occasionally challenge for titles. I've always thought the time we'd really make that jump was between 12-13 and 13-14.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 11:51:27 AM »

I think he has the tools and skill set to do it.  It seems that HS players as the norm do not have the defensive side down.  AAU influence, IMHO.  Hopefully he picks it up quickly.

He sure could, I'm very excited about Taylor.

And Ferguson.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 12:50:55 PM »
Cadougan only had a chance to lose his starting job to Blue in some people's mines on this board. I doubt Buzz even considered that. Last night MU essentially built their game ending lead with DJO and Blue on the bench. DJO's shooting was a big reason we turn our early deficit into a 9 point lead. DJO's mistake were a large reason why we were down early in the first place.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 01:20:51 PM »
I think Buzz has shown the potential to turn us into an upper-echelon team, get to Final Fours, that type of stuff. I'm not saying the UNC/Duke/Kansas level, but on that next tier with Syracuse/Florida/UConn that are able to get some top-level recruits and occasionally challenge for titles. I've always thought the time we'd really make that jump was between 12-13 and 13-14.

makes sense.  i thought 12-13 would be a down year for MU, but as guys like junior, j wilson, mayo, DG, and juan continue to get more minutes and develop i'm becoming a bit more excited about 12-13.  will be interesting to see if we can get a pleasant surprise from someone on the bench who currently isn't contributing much, or one of the incoming recruits. with otule getting that extra year, i'm really thinking 13-14 could be a big year for mu if we don't loose a key part unexpectedly. 

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 02:27:56 PM »
I love the trend of MU basketball.  Buzz has done a great job recruiting talent.  Steve Taylor will be a solid 6'8" player for four years.  TJ and Ferguson should also be great talents.  The MU bench will be deep and allow MU to play aggressive defense.  The only question mark is the 6'10" center who doesn't play on his high school team.  If he can't earn minutes on a high school team how can we expect him to contribute at Marquette?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2012, 02:43:08 PM »
I love the trend of MU basketball.  Buzz has done a great job recruiting talent.  Steve Taylor will be a solid 6'8" player for four years.  TJ and Ferguson should also be great talents.  The MU bench will be deep and allow MU to play aggressive defense.  The only question mark is the 6'10" center who doesn't play on his high school team.  If he can't earn minutes on a high school team how can we expect him to contribute at Marquette?

If the Internet had been as prolific in the 1990s, I'm sure we'd all have been asking the same thing about Amal McCaskill.

Bottom line, most of us trust Buzz to recruit talent. No, he hasn't got that 4 or 5-star big man yet, but he's taken 5 big projects (if you count Roseboro) and 2 of them worked out. The others were gone in short order. I expect Durley will either be a contributor or he will end up finding somewhere where he can contribute. My money's on the former.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2012, 03:12:46 PM »
Another thing is that a Texas recruiting website has him listed among the top 25 prospects in his class in Texas.   What have we become as a fanbase and as MU alum when we toss a guy under the bus before he ever steps foot on campus.   It is bad enough how some are treating Vander.   Dumping on Durley is just sad. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2012, 03:21:11 PM »
Another thing is that a Texas recruiting website has him listed among the top 25 prospects in his class in Texas.   What have we become as a fanbase and as MU alum when we toss a guy under the bus before he ever steps foot on campus.   It is bad enough how some are treating Vander.   Dumping on Durley is just sad. 
+100000

There are some real winners on this board. 

DCWarriors04

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2012, 03:40:45 PM »

Completely agree

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2012, 03:42:16 PM »
Hate to rely on Jr. to score the rock.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2012, 03:49:13 PM »
I am not throwing Duren under the bus.  Not sure why you would state such a negative unless you really mean it.  I am questioning why he doesn't play on his high school team, and if we can count him contributing at MU.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2012, 05:01:36 PM »
I am not throwing Duren under the bus.  Not sure why you would state such a negative unless you really mean it.  I am questioning why he doesn't play on his high school team, and if we can count him contributing at MU.

This question has been asked and answered 50 million times on this board.  Look it up.  If you aren't satisfied with the answers, fly down to Houston and ask his high school coach yourself.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2012, 06:06:20 PM »

SIGH... so it BEGINS, like with Blue. 

First, if you're going to say you're not "throwing someone under the bus", you should probably spell that guy's name correctly.  Second, Durley plays on a team featuring one of the top 5-10 big men in the country, so he doesn't "play on his high school team".  The kid is 6'11", is a pretty well regarded player, and seems like he is worth the investment.  We're not going to get 5-star big men to come here.  And if we do, they're staying for 1 year and jetting to the NBA.

If the Internet had been as prolific in the 1990s, I'm sure we'd all have been asking the same thing about Amal McCaskill.

Bottom line, most of us trust Buzz to recruit talent. No, he hasn't got that 4 or 5-star big man yet, but he's taken 5 big projects (if you count Roseboro) and 2 of them worked out. The others were gone in short order. I expect Durley will either be a contributor or he will end up finding somewhere where he can contribute. My money's on the former.

YUP.  This.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2012, 06:10:22 PM »
Cadougan only had a chance to lose his starting job to Blue in some people's mines on this board. I doubt Buzz even considered that. Last night MU essentially built their game ending lead with DJO and Blue on the bench. DJO's shooting was a big reason we turn our early deficit into a 9 point lead. DJO's mistake were a large reason why we were down early in the first place.

not sure you're correct with that assumption.  i think many felt that they shouldn't be on the court at the same time, especially against the zone.  buzz has done this more and more the last few games.  again, looking to 2013-2014, mu will return everyone but junior.  i don't see anyone better to play the point that season than vander.  with vander struggling on offense, it's hard to have a guard on the court that just can't shoot the ball, therefore it seems to make sense that he could play more minutes at the pg position and start in that role his senior year.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2012, 06:13:31 PM »
The only other option I see that year is TJ Taylor.

feedback