Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Matt Korchek - 6'9" JUCO PF  (Read 8990 times)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: Matt Korchek - 6'9" JUCO PF
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2012, 05:52:24 PM »
Benny, using your rationale would you have taken Evan Anderson? He's TALL.
SS Marquette

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2012, 06:46:13 PM »

At the time, I think we would have.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2012, 07:07:42 PM »
If it weren't against NCAA rules, I would honestly be sending Aaron's family a fruit-basket or something just to show our appreciation.  I don't get why so many on here (who collectively represents .01% of Marquette fans) want to run this kid off or question why he isn't getting any PT.

Frankly if Buzz wants him, that is good enough for me...and it should be good enough for everyone else.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2012, 07:24:09 PM »

Murray, you got any eligibility left?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2012, 07:37:32 PM »
He committed early.  Had he waited until his senior season, I am not so sure we would have.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2012, 08:41:50 PM »
Give me Durley.   Not playing behind a top 10 recruit?    Meh.   He is ranked among the top recruits in Texas.  He is 6'11 270.   We don't need him to star as a freshman.   Get him here, let him develop against a couple of decent bigs without any pressure.    Let him learn the schemes and let Todd work his magic.     I honestly don't see the downside.      On a smaller scale, a friend's daughter was the 11th player as a senior on her high school team, which currently has won 86 of its last 91 games.    Played around 30 minutes for the season.    Her first year in college, she was the first post player off of the bench at a DII school.      She is starting as a junior.   Two more words: Amal McCaskill.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2012, 09:04:41 PM »
Two more words: Amal McCaskill.
Durley has a lot of potential, but there are also far more recent names (Buzz era....not 20 years ago) of Mbao, Roseboro, and McMorrow.  He's much more likely to follow them than McCaskill.  I'm all for bringing him in,  but let's be realistic.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2012, 09:12:12 PM »
Durley has a lot of potential, but there are also far more recent names (Buzz era....not 20 years ago) of Mbao, Roseboro, and McMorrow.  He's much more likely to follow them than McCaskill.  I'm all for bringing him in,  but let's be realistic.

Mbao, Roseboro and McMorrow were all late signees...I mean Liam was signed in July.  (And would likely still be here if healthy.)  So in all of them were likely more desperation cases more than anything else.

Buzz was on Durley early and signed him early.  This is much more like the Otule signing than anything else.  A big, defensive center.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2012, 10:12:57 PM »
Mbao, Roseboro and McMorrow were all late signees...I mean Liam was signed in July.  (And would likely still be here if healthy.)  So in all of them were likely more desperation cases more than anything else.

Buzz was on Durley early and signed him early.  This is much more like the Otule signing than anything else.  A big, defensive center.

With two eyes.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2012, 09:51:14 AM »

Fine, let's look at Buzz's Project Big history:

1) Mbao never panned out... chalk that up in the L column.
2) Gardner and Otule definitely go in the W column.
3) Liam never played due to health issues; it's hard to say whether he would have developed better at MU, but he has found himself a reserve role at TTU, something that probably has more to do with continuing health issues than player development.  At worst, I call this a no-decision.

I'm willing to give Buzz a pass on Roseboro... it was a recruiting mistake on both sides that was realized before school started; also, let's be honest here and consider that this was Buzz's first year recruiting his own class at a major D-I program (not that it's an excuse, but it should be a consideration).  Nevertheless, Roseboro never did play at MU and there's no telling how he might have developed under Buzz.  However, even if you consider that an L, Buzz is 2-2 so far.

In other words, based on Buzz's history, Aaron has at least a 50% chance of developing into a serviceable big at MU and a 25% chance of being a Jack-O-Lantern.  I'll play those odds any day.

Personally, I would only offer a sophomore at the guard position (too many variables in development with forwards and centers their last two years of HS), but considering he was a top 10 recruit when he signed, there still would have been a voice in my head saying "go for it."
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2012, 09:56:45 AM »
I'd have taken Anderson.   I'd have taken that big at UWGB.    They don't have to be stars.   The bigs have to keep other bigs from being stars.   Just be able to occupy the other and not get dominated, giving us a chance.   Otule excels at this. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2012, 10:01:51 AM »
If the staff and Durley decide gettting a year at a Good Juco to get playing time makes sense and he decided to goto the class of 2013, a Juco like this that could step in and get minutes at the 4 would be just what we need.  We could be in real trouble rebounding next year. A PF that can play 20 mins might be the Diff of us making the tournament or not.  S Taylor is going to get minutes but he will need a year to add weight.   I agree having 3 bigs in one class is a problem but better to have it then the other option.  

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2012, 10:40:21 AM »
If the staff and Durley decide gettting a year at a Good Juco to get playing time makes sense and he decided to goto the class of 2013, a Juco like this that could step in and get minutes at the 4 would be just what we need.  We could be in real trouble rebounding next year. A PF that can play 20 mins might be the Diff of us making the tournament or not.  S Taylor is going to get minutes but he will need a year to add weight.   I agree having 3 bigs in one class is a problem but better to have it then the other option. 

Of course the risk to MU is that he goes elsewhere after his one Juco year.  The risk to Durley is an injury or that he plays poorly.

I'd just bring him here and have him practice everyday with Otule and Gardner.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2012, 10:50:36 AM »
Yeah, cuz Oden only played about 30 mpg.  A better analogy would be to put Oden on Otule's high school team.  Then I think the answer is probably no.  But I have no idea what Durley's situation is, aside from Ridley being ahead of him.  All I know is that his high school coach was also Otule's, and he said Durley is further along than Chris at the same time, and Buzz trusted him enough (along with his own evaluation) to offer the kid a scholarship.

If I were a coach, and I had Oden and Otule (both D1 caliber centers), they would both be playing at the same time.

If you have 2 D1 players at the same position (at the same age), you'll figure out a way to use them both.

D1 players (even ones like Chris Otule) dominate against most High School players.

With this said, I can't even pretend to know what is going on with Durley.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2012, 11:21:31 AM »
I'd have taken Anderson.   I'd have taken that big at UWGB.    They don't have to be stars.   The bigs have to keep other bigs from being stars.   Just be able to occupy the other and not get dominated, giving us a chance.   Otule excels at this. 

+17 gazillion

Maybe the best summation out of what we need out of project guys, and why big projects are worth taking fliers on.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2012, 12:00:42 PM »
I would think Durely deserves to see some action and not waste away on the bench.  Surely there were other high schools that would love to have him play for them.  Would like to hear the coach talk about the situation.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2012, 04:57:48 PM »
If I were a coach, and I had Oden and Otule (both D1 caliber centers), they would both be playing at the same time.

If you have 2 D1 players at the same position (at the same age), you'll figure out a way to use them both.

D1 players (even ones like Chris Otule) dominate against most High School players.

With this said, I can't even pretend to know what is going on with Durley.

Someone was a Houston Rockets fan in the 80s. lol
SS Marquette

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2012, 06:01:08 PM »

Murray, you got any eligibility left?

Yeah, but due to Osteoporosis, I've dropped from 6'10" to just under 5'8".

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2012, 06:49:55 PM »
It's a bitch when everything shrinks proportionally, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2012, 07:56:47 PM »
As of late last year, from the video I saw, with Durley and Ridley playing together he was not even in the mix on plays and backs away from the action. When the ball did roll to him he made a nice pass. He did make it up and down the floor but seemed to have no confidence at all. What happened to the double-double prediction this season for him? He is really big and solid,though!

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2012, 10:22:42 AM »
Doesn't sound good.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2012, 02:44:53 PM »
It's a bitch when everything shrinks proportionally, aina?

Osteoporosis wasn't a problem there, brother!

feedback