[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette Tribune Editorial: Stop Glorifying Athletes  (Read 27346 times)

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
Re: Marquette Tribune Editorial: Stop Glorifying Athletes
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2012, 12:53:56 PM »
standard trib, completely off base

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2012, 12:55:12 PM »
Why the hell does the Marquette Tribune website have an ad for Notre Dame's College of Business???

What's wrong with that?

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2012, 12:56:44 PM »

What's wrong with that?

Does Pepsi's website have ads for Coke?

reinko

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2012, 12:58:58 PM »
I am sure names of the editorial board member is listed in the paper.  Those are your authors.

That being said, please don't be a douchebag by harrassing them personally.  I hope I really didn't have to say that.

So are you Maria, Bridget, Kara, or Kelly?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2012, 01:00:44 PM »
Does Pepsi's website have ads for Coke?

So no one should attend Grad School anywhere but Marquette?

I don't know how often you read the online version of the MT, but they don't draw many advertisers for whatever reason.  They mostly put up ads that say, basically, "For the love of God, PLEASE advertise with us!"

Kudos to ND for helping to support our students.
Have some patience, FFS.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2012, 01:03:41 PM »
So are you Maria, Bridget, Kara, or Kelly?

None of the above (although what I woudn't give to be a college student again).  I am simply a Marquette fan that never likes to see other Marquette fans making asses out of themselves.
Have some patience, FFS.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2012, 01:06:26 PM »
Sorry, an editorial is opinion, and this one is ignorant and whiney.  As others have pointed out, there are numerous demands on the team that far exceed those of the regular student, and more than are placed on the ordinary student athlete.  Earlier references to programs like Buzz's Bunch just scrape the surface.  This was  nothing but a hit piece, and I can only wonder what life experience the editorial board has with the team to generate this drivel.

Yes, an editorial is an opinion-piece, but editorials are written to foster discussion, this one included.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2012, 01:07:00 PM »
None of the above (although what I woudn't give to be a college student again).  I am simply a Marquette fan that never likes to see other Marquette fans making asses out of themselves.

If the tribune editorial staff weren't such incompitent douchebags in the first place, we wouldn't have to have this problem

🏀

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2012, 01:09:15 PM »
I'm sure Paint Touches will get a hold of the editorial board and let us know what generated this type of diarrhea.

5YearsatMU

• Starter
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2012, 01:13:11 PM »
Aren't these types of articles standard from the Trib every few years?  Once no one on the Trib 'staff' can remember more than two or three years back, someone thinks they have an original and groundbreaking idea of writing an article on how unfair the treatment of the basketball team is?  

Is The Warrior still around?  

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2012, 01:13:37 PM »
So no one should attend Grad School anywhere but Marquette?

I don't know how often you read the online version of the MT, but they don't draw many advertisers for whatever reason.  They mostly put up ads that say, basically, "For the love of God, PLEASE advertise with us!"

Kudos to ND for helping to support our students.

I just don't understand why you would promote another university on your website.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2012, 01:15:24 PM »
Why the hell does the Marquette Tribune website have an ad for Notre Dame's College of Business???

Marquette does not choose which ads go up there. I'm sure they use the google ads network and let google choose which ad is placed there. Google chooses this based on a large number of different critreria, including your search and browsing history.

This is also the reason you will see Marquette athletics advertisements on completely unrelated websites that Marquette would never advertise on. They use "re-marketing" so if you visit the Marquette Athletics website google will now it, and display you the Marquette Athletics ad on pages that use the google ad network.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 01:20:46 PM by spartan3186 »

reinko

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2012, 01:22:02 PM »
Marquette does not choose which ads go up there. I'm sure they use the google ads network and let google choose which ad is placed there. Google chooses this based on a large number of different critreria, including your search and browsing history.

This is also the reason you will see Marquette athletics advertisements on completely unrelated websites that Marquette would never advertise on. They use "re-marketing" so if you visit the Marquette Athletics website google will now it, and display you the Marquette Athletics ad on pages that use the google ad network.

Basically you just outed TT in his research of getting an MBA from ND.

Shame  TT!  SHAAAAAMMMMMMMMEEEE

🏀

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2012, 01:23:26 PM »
Basically you just outed TT in his research of getting an MBA from ND.

Shame  TT!  SHAAAAAMMMMMMMMEEEE

That or is undying love of Notre Dame football.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2012, 01:25:41 PM »

Is The Warrior still around?  

from my understanding it is but its in unnatural carnal knowledgeed shape

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2012, 01:35:17 PM »

If you don't like the editorial staff, students are free to launch an alternative newspaper like they did when I was in school.  As I recall, the subject of their first editorial was "Bring Back Willy Wampum."  
There still is one, called "The Warrior" and in this layman's opinion it is pretty good.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2012, 01:48:44 PM »

Are you sure they use this?  Like warriorchick mentioned they usually have ads begging people to advertise with them.

Ohbie

• Walk-On
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2012, 01:51:23 PM »
Are you sure they use this?  Like warriorchick mentioned they usually have ads begging people to advertise with them.

When viewing the page source it shows that they use Double Click which I believe allows you to set it up so that if you have any unsold ad space, Google AdSense can be used to take up what's left.  I don't think that this is one of those re-marketing ads that spartan is talking about.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2012, 01:55:15 PM »
Gotcha.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2012, 01:55:36 PM »
News flash: The young adults at the Tribune are light years away from being professional journalists, just as Junior Cadougan and Jamil Wilson are light years away from being professional basketball players.

The editorial wasn't especially well-written. That doesn't mean those who wrote it hate the players or want them to give back their scholarships. It's kind of like when DJO airballs a forced 3 early in the shot clock; he wasn't trying to bring down the entire university.

Jeesh. Overreact much?

Oh, and I'm three decades past being a student, have no kids at Marquette and have no other ulterior motives for writing this. Just want intelligent people -- and I do consider most posters to this site intelligent -- to keep things in perspective.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2012, 01:56:19 PM »
Occupy Humphrey/the Al?

I agree with most of everything in this thread. The basketball team probably has to put up with more than those writers or non-athletes have to put up with. As a student, I don't get booed or called out on a message board when I have a bad test or my merits of being good enough for Marquette aren't debated in public. I think a lot of the dislike for the basketball team is just on stereotype. Everyone thinks any major student athlete is dumber than a box of rocks and just show up for the class once in awhile and that's the extent of the student part of student-athlete. They don't realize the amount of work these guys have to put in in the class room, in addition to the work on the court.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2012, 01:59:08 PM »
News flash: The young adults at the Tribune are light years away from being professional journalists, just as Junior Cadougan and Jamil Wilson are light years away from being professional basketball players.

The editorial wasn't especially well-written. That doesn't mean those who wrote it hate the players or want them to give back their scholarships. It's kind of like when DJO airballs a forced 3 early in the shot clock; he wasn't trying to bring down the entire university.

Jeesh. Overreact much?

Oh, and I'm three decades past being a student, have no kids at Marquette and have no other ulterior motives for writing this. Just want intelligent people -- and I do consider most posters to this site intelligent -- to keep things in perspective.

Even if they were professional journalists, no level of writing expertise would make this arguement valid.  Just because you can formulate a thought doesn't make you right.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2012, 02:03:51 PM »
Also funny this is aimed at Larry Williams.  If he listened to this sorry excuse of an argument he'd be sent back to Portland inside of six months.

feedback