[April 30, 2024, 11:37:53 PM]

Shaka interview by Jay Bee
[April 30, 2024, 09:36:41 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[April 30, 2024, 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 30, 2024, 02:09:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: #1 Simeon vs. #6 Findlay prep  (Read 9056 times)

QuetteHoops

• Starter
#1 Simeon vs. #6 Findlay prep
« on: January 16, 2012, 02:02:01 PM »
Is on right now (2 p.m.) on ESPNU featuring future Marquette star Steve Taylor...

mviale

• All American
Re: #1 Simeon vs. #6 Findlay prep
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 02:25:00 PM »
Parker is amazing
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 02:52:43 PM »
Parker is amazing

He has 15 of the 24 so far. Taylor struggling.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 03:31:34 PM »
Simeon getting killed.  Mailing in the rest of the game.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

The Maestro

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 03:49:43 PM »
How is Nunn doing?

National Champs

• Team Captain
We Are Elite

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 08:03:13 PM »
Taylor struggling.

If Steve Taylor can't get it done in high school, how is he going to get it done in the Big East?  I don't understand how Buzz and Marquette can't get recruits who can score in high school.

...Sorry, I refuse to use different colors.  If you can't figure it out, then I'm glad you don't understand.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 08:05:32 PM »
How is Nunn doing?

Nunn was held to three points and three rebounds.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 08:53:44 PM »
Did he add any MU followers on Twitter?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 09:43:12 PM »
Saw the game, Nunn either had a bad game or is not that good.  Not much of an offensive game, much like Derrick Wilson, has along way to go.  Short. I like Mayo and Blue
as our guards just because of there length.  Both can rebound.  Taylor looked awful but I can see his potential.  Nice body, if he adds 10-15 lbs of muscle he would look like
Crowder in the future.  Tall, maybe 6' 8".  The talent on the court for high school was ridiculous.  I am sure he was very nervous and he looked it.  Next year, I see as a player
that will get about 15 minutes a game.  Not really that quick, got beat off the dribble, does not have great hops.  Will be a fine player in the future, good upside.  Shot the ball
poorly all game.  Parker has huge upside.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 10:15:14 PM »
If Steve Taylor can't get it done in high school, how is he going to get it done in the Big East?  I don't understand how Buzz and Marquette can't get recruits who can score in high school.

...Sorry, I refuse to use different colors.  If you can't figure it out, then I'm glad you don't understand.

I don't know if that's your first time seeing Taylor but the games I have seen of his, he has looked really, really good.  I have not seen him hit 17+ footers but more than a few 15 footers and look pretty good at the free throw line as well.

He'll be fine.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 10:23:39 PM »

I can't be positive, but I believe that I saw him miss a three when it looked like he was sending a tweet at the same time.

Could have been a text message...
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 11:05:02 PM »
I know wade you see the game on such a different level....please.

I was watching on split screen, believe me he was struggling and so was the rest of the team.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 11:07:35 PM »
I know wade you see the game on such a different level....please.

I was watching on split screen, believe me he was struggling and so was the rest of the team.

I was poking fun at the members of the board who complain that Durley hasn't done anything on his high school team.  I'm sure he struggled.  I didn't see the game.  I'm just saying that struggling in a high school game doesn't mean a player won't succeed at the college level like some on this board think.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 11:15:26 PM »
Got it.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 08:29:30 AM »
I was poking fun at the members of the board who complain that Durley hasn't done anything on his high school team.  I'm sure he struggled.  I didn't see the game.  I'm just saying that struggling in a high school game doesn't mean a player won't succeed at the college level like some on this board think.

Damn that sarcasm!  Missed that.   :D
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 10:18:28 AM by MarquetteDano »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2012, 08:53:26 AM »
I was poking fun at the members of the board who complain that Durley hasn't done anything on his high school team.  I'm sure he struggled.  I didn't see the game.  I'm just saying that struggling in a high school game doesn't mean a player won't succeed at the college level like some on this board think.

Total mischaracterization of my of my position. You may think that having an off night (8 points, 8 rebounds vs the best high school team in the country) is equivalent to riding the pines and only playing garbage minutes on your high school team. I don't and have never suggested anything of the sort.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 09:04:17 AM »
Two years (December 2009 to be exact) we all watched Jamil Jones school Austin Rivers on ESPN.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=16667.msg162153#msg162153

After that game everyone here was so giddy that our biggest worry was Jones would leave MU early for the NBA.  Further, we wet our pants that between him and future NBA'er Erik Williams we as good at the 3/4 as anybody in the nation.

Moral of the story, whatever Taylor did, or did not do, on ESPNU yesterday is meaningless for what he does at MU starting next year.

And for the record, I still think Jones can be very good for us once he gets his confidence/swaggger back.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2012, 02:24:23 PM »
This was the third time I've seen Simeon. Obviously impressed as hell with Parker, a no-brainer college star. Quite unimpressed with Nunn, who looked especially outclassed in this one.

As for Taylor ...

His shot looks decent form-wise but he hasn't made many in the three games I've seen. He was 0-fer on 3-pointers in this one, and he took plenty; 2 or 3 were total bricks. He has missed more FTs than he's made, although, again, form looks OK. On defense, his man often beats him off the dribble. He regularly was out of position on the defensive boards. A couple times after grabbing offensive boards, he immediately dribbled in traffic, eliminating any advantage he might have had. In this one, Taylor primarily matched up against Brandon Ashley, an Arizona recruit who generally is considered the top power forward in the country; Ashley pretty much dominated.

All that being said, Taylor has a lot of potential and already a decent skill set. He has a good body that can get better, he's a good athlete and he looks like a guy who will really fill the wing on the break. And I still think (hope?) he'll be a good shooter.

Definitely needs plenty of coaching and work in the weight room.

Glad we got him, but we should avoid expecting him to be a star, especially as a freshman. Most posters here seem to understand that!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2012, 02:28:13 PM »
I think its usually a mistake to expect significant contributions from a freshman.  And I like having a deep team (we're getting there) so we don't have to.

I was delighted last year to get meaningful production out of DG and this year with Mayo.  Although Mayo is a very "mature" freshman, I recall.  How old is he?
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2012, 02:41:12 PM »
Two years (December 2009 to be exact) we all watched Jamil Jones school Austin Rivers on ESPN.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=16667.msg162153#msg162153

After that game everyone here was so giddy that our biggest worry was Jones would leave MU early for the NBA.  Further, we wet our pants that between him and future NBA'er Erik Williams we as good at the 3/4 as anybody in the nation.

Moral of the story, whatever Taylor did, or did not do, on ESPNU yesterday is meaningless for what he does at MU starting next year.

And for the record, I still think Jones can be very good for us once he gets his confidence/swaggger back.

Big time.  Him and Wilson will be really good once they get comfortable.  I hope we can start blowing out some teams to get these guys some quality minutes.  And Wilson needs to move out to a wing.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2012, 02:52:23 PM »
Erick, what makes you think that Jamail can be very good for us, yet you "don't think Vander is any good?"  Two guys...same class...one guy gets playing time...the other is stapled to the bench with two straight DNPs.

Come on...at least be consistent.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2012, 02:56:39 PM »
I think its usually a mistake to expect significant contributions from a freshman.  And I like having a deep team (we're getting there) so we don't have to.

I was delighted last year to get meaningful production out of DG and this year with Mayo.  Although Mayo is a very "mature" freshman, I recall.  How old is he?

Mayo is 20, and he will turn 21 in March.  For comparison, I turned 21 in February of my junior year.  Mayo is more than a year older than Blue & Jones.

mubb34

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2012, 04:08:08 PM »

I follow him! Nice guy it seems like...based off of Twitter...haha

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2012, 08:21:05 AM »

I think some have higher expectations for Taylor because we're unsure about the 4. I expect Jamil to take Crowder's role, but who else seems suited for minutes there? Maybe playing CO and DG together in stretches? Mellow might have the strength, but hasn't shown enough on the court to ease anyone. Juan is a great rebounder but more of a point forward.

Taylor looks like more of a 4 than anyone here. I don't expect much from freshmen, but could see us needing 8-10 mpg at that position, and he's the most natural fit.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback