[Today at 09:24:02 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by bilsu
[Today at 07:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Laptops in class  (Read 5316 times)

77fan88warrior

• All American
Laptops in class
« on: April 20, 2007, 10:53:22 AM »
I was reading about facebook and I saw that profs are complaining about kids who use it during class.This caused me to wonder whether students take notes on their computers or the old fashioned way. It would seem to be quicker to type. You must remember that when I graduated in 1988 we had those huge floppys and needed dos commands to run software that we checked out in Bus. Ad computer lab.

spartan3186

• All American
Re: Laptops in class
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 05:06:08 PM »
The vast majority of students still take notes by hand. I would say close to 95% take notes "the old fashioned way." I usually encounter somewhere between 3 and 5 kids a semster that take notes via their computers. It kind of depends on the class and the type of notes you have to take however. In my science classes when there are diagrams and equations it is very difficult to take notes via computer but in psyc or buisness classes it is easier so more people do it. It kinda depends, but usually I see about 3-5 a semester in my classes.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 07:16:33 PM »
Ive always thought of maybe bringing my computer to take notes... then realized I would just play solitaire instead of taking notes  :)
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

DoubleMU0609

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 04:52:00 PM »
I'd say that 90%+ people take notes on their laptops in law school (including me).  The few that don't usually say that they don't use it to keep focused on the lecture.

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 09:11:09 PM »
I definitely understand the part about getting distracted in class based upon my surfing at work.