Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [PaintTouches]Initial reactions: Marquette chokes away 17-point lead in loss to Hoyas  (Read 2370 times)

PaintTouchesSays

Initial reactions: Marquette chokes away 17-point lead in loss to Hoyas

Written by: Mark Strotman

– Just as plenty of credit was given to Buzz Williams for Marquette’s win in Madison, tonight’s loss falls squarely on the coach’s shoulders. Three things stand out. First, Williams’ timeout following Todd Mayo’s 3-pointer to put Marquette up 17 … Continue reading →

http://painttouches.com/2012/01/04/initial-reactions-marquette-chokes-away-17-point-lead-in-loss-to-hoyas/

Da 'Lanche

• All American
I think this is a really excellent, objective and constructively critical analysis of the game and some of our issues.   Bravo....take the emotional sting out of the loss and dive into the issues.  Nice work and I agree, fundamentally, with just about all of it.

CTWarrior

• All American
I think this is a really excellent, objective and constructively critical analysis of the game and some of our issues.   Bravo....take the emotional sting out of the loss and dive into the issues.  Nice work and I agree, fundamentally, with just about all of it.

I agree that DG played well.  Why don't we have a three point shooter ball side when he gets the ball in the low post?  He's a pretty good passer and we need to have some passing options for him when he gets the ball down low.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MUMac

• All American
I agree that DG played well.  Why don't we have a three point shooter ball side when he gets the ball in the low post?  He's a pretty good passer and we need to have some passing options for him when he gets the ball down low.

Late in the game, he got the ball down low.  It seemed everyone knew he was going to shoot.  GU packed the middle.  MU watched.  No one on the side where he had the ball.  Looked like a clear out.  He get his shot stuffed.

chapman

• All American
I agree that DG played well.  Why don't we have a three point shooter ball side when he gets the ball in the low post?  He's a pretty good passer and we need to have some passing options for him when he gets the ball down low.

Agree.  Great things can happen when Gardner gets the ball in his hands.  The announcers said during the game that GT's bigs are their leading assist men-Gardner certainly has that potential as well in addition to his scoring ability.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
A few numbers

Even though GU had a turnover rate of 35% in the first half, they still shot an eFG% of 55%.  At the halftime break, I saw that they were 11-22 with some threes and said, "uh oh".

Second half
GU scored 1.37 points per possession
They shot an eFG% of 86%

Marquette had a total of two defensive stops in the final ten min
Marquette's turnover rate in the second half (37%) was worse than GU's turnover rate in the first half

For the game, Marquette allowed an eFG% of 70%.  

edit:  what the f*ck'd
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 09:45:33 PM by Henry Sugar »
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

muhoops1

• All American
I think going for the 3 out of the TO was the right call.  This isn't the NBA and a timeout doesn't bring the ball to half court. There isn't enough time to "get a good look" have GT inbound the ball, foul and then bring the ball up the full length of the court.  At some point MU is going to end up shooting a desparation 3.  I'd rather have it with some time left to maybe grab an offensive rebound and a potential put back attempt.

One other side note...why did Todd Mayo pull back on the rebound attempt at the buzzer?  Not that he could have gotten a shot off, but what the heck?  That's like Wilson clocking the ball with 2 seconds left.  It does you no good.  Weird.

Eye

• All American
I've been a spotty PT reader up to this point. Looks like that is going to have to change.
GO WARRIORS!

mugrack

• Team Captain
Paint touches must be a bunch of trolls.  They said Marquette choked. :P

wyoMUfan

• Team Captain
exactamundo pt.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
With just over 12 minutes to go in the game, DJO hit a three pointer to put Marquette up by 15.

How many 3-pointers do you think MU attempted the rest of the game from that point until the desperation shots at the end? Not made. Attempted.

If you guessed "Two in twelve minutes" then you are too high because the answer is ONE.

ONE attempted three pointer in a twelve minute span.

This is important because DJO's three with 12+ minutes to go made Marquette 8-for-15 from 3pt for the game. They would finish 8-of-18.

I'm all for taking high-percentage shots, but if you are hitting threes at a better-than-50% clip, and are undersized against your opponent, maybe a few more treybombs go a long way in a single-possession game. Then again, maybe Buzz thought it would be better strategically to make the attack predictable and one-dimensional.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 09:01:50 AM by Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup »
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

MUMac

• All American
One other side note...why did Todd Mayo pull back on the rebound attempt at the buzzer?  Not that he could have gotten a shot off, but what the heck?  That's like Wilson clocking the ball with 2 seconds left.  It does you no good.  Weird.
That did look strange.  The only thing I could think at the time is he may have thought Crowder was going for it and if he continued through, might have impeded him.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
That did look strange.  The only thing I could think at the time is he may have thought Crowder was going for it and if he continued through, might have impeded him.

Crowder was on the other side of Mayo. Involved, but not intruding. The only option to disrupt Mayo on that was Clark who wisely just tipped it out of bounds.

From my angle, it looked like Mayo didn't have an idea as to what the situation was and how to react.