Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: OT: Best Pizza while at Marquette  (Read 10254 times)

only a warrior

• Team Captain
Re: OT: Best Pizza while at Marquette
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2007, 06:27:13 PM »
I was there from 82-86 and the pizza we liked best at the Bush House was Prima's up near West.  Those deep fried pizza dough puffs were the best drunk food (besides Chili!)

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2007, 07:56:20 PM »
Remember that pizza is like sex, even when it is bad, it is still pretty good.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2007, 11:49:28 PM »
In the 50's and 60's, Balistreri's and the place next to the Eagles Club were my two favorites.

I concur with the place next to the Eagles Club--at least through the early 80's.  Can't remember the name of the place, and the building has been gone for at least five years.

In addition to the best pizza at the time, they served an appetizer called Garlic Puffs.  The only thing I've seen since that are even close are the garlic rolls they serve at Bob Chins.

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
  • Wish I was at the Maui Invitational
    • The Truth
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2007, 07:26:56 AM »
Maybe I like BY pizza because that is what I grew up on you dumb schmoes. I don't necessarily like Whole tomatoes on my pizza. Chicago style is a meal. New York style is what I like to eat when I am drunk.
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2007, 08:29:23 AM »
Understand your points on the different style of pizza, and what you are raised on does have a lot to do with it, but I have had all sorts of thin crust style pizzas and they just don't do it for me.

The great thing about Chicago style pizza is that it is a meal.  You get real, fresh tomatoes, cheese, and of course, some of the best meat in the world.  New York pizza just always tasted like one step up from Tombstone to me.

Plus, I will admit it, we from Chicagoland have to stick up for our pizza against NY.  Please don't tell me that you think that NY hot dogs are better than Chicago-style...

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
    • The Truth
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2007, 08:36:34 AM »
I do, nothing like going to Nathan's on Coney Island. I've had both and it is close. But it was part of my childhood.
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

tower912

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2007, 08:41:02 AM »
I can't believe no one is standing up for Rocky Rococo's :D, on the corner of 12th and Wells while I was there.   Two places stand out for me, due to age I cannot remember either of their names.   Sad, really.   1. Had a 18"x36" rectangular pizza.  If you and a buddy could finish it in a half hour, it was free.   2.  Out near 27th and Wells, I think, had a 16", 3-topping pizza/liter of pop for $6.99 deal that they would deliver until 4 am.   The perfect after bar.   I was there 84-88, if that helps jog anyone else's memory.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2007, 09:14:25 AM »
In the 50's and 60's, Balistreri's and the place next to the Eagles Club were my two favorites.

I concur with the place next to the Eagles Club--at least through the early 80's.  Can't remember the name of the place, and the building has been gone for at least five years.

In addition to the best pizza at the time, they served an appetizer called Garlic Puffs.  The only thing I've seen since that are even close are the garlic rolls they serve at Bob Chins.

I think someone might have said this place was called Prima's? I remember this place being great in the mid to late 70's when dropping off or picking up older sister and brother. It wasn't as good in the mid to late 80's when I was there. The best thing about it in 80's was they had all you can eat. As a Chicagoan I want to say the worse thing about some Chicago deep dish is sausage patty on top. It's way too much sausage and the places that were known for sausage patty are giving you the option of smaller pieces of sausage nowadays.

The best thin crust sasage pizza I have ever had is at a place called Doc's Beach House in Bonita Beach, FL  They have a chicago theme upstairs and is owned by a Chicago guy.
http://www.docsbeachhouse.com/

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2007, 09:56:07 AM »
Tower, i beleive you are referring to Pizza Shuttle...open basically all night and very cheap.  My vote was for Guliano's tho.  No better place to hit a 3am at bar time... that is back when bar time was so much later.. if I recall they changed those laws in the mid 90's.

I think many that attended Mu after say 2000 are talking about a completely different campus and atmosphere than for those that graduated before.  Wells street was basically one bar after another. No Greek presence, A case of Old milwaukee long necks at Marquette Liquor was 3.99 before deposit.  More of a true inner city atmosphere than waht exists today.  Mu is a completely different place than it was 10 years ago.  A necessary change for MU to compete on the landscape and compete for and be attractive potential parents sending their children there.  I think Mu was always incredibly attractive to students but I think it was getting to the point where parents questioned sending their kids there it was to some degree so almost out of control. My feeling when people came to visit was they always just loved the place and those that did not did not in many cases becisue they were shocked or scared by the place.  lawless was an appropraite word for the Mu campus in the 80-and 90's.

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
    • The Truth
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2007, 10:04:25 AM »
I wish it would have been more slumy while I was there. I would have liked more choices in bars and food. Instead all the bottom floors are campus offices.  No company can survive in Campus town because the rent is too high. I even heard the closed the Glock down.

~Al McGuire

~Robert Heinlein

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2007, 10:28:05 AM »
As a Chicagoan I want to say the worse thing about some Chicago deep dish is sausage patty on top.

Huh, I always kinda liked the sausage patty.  Can't get that anywhere on the front range though  :(

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2007, 10:35:18 AM »
I dont think half of those places even exist. There is no good pizza in Milwaukee at all, or in Wisconsin for that matter.

yes there is. let me guess, you haven't really looked or expanded your horizons beyond the campus or downtown area.

try Zafiro's.

Zaffiro's is good of the paper thin variety where one can eat a whole pie in one setting.  It is good pizza.  I believe it is fair to say Milwaukee lacks good pizza places however.

Barbiere's, Balistreri's on Bluemound, Dino's on Howell Avenue, the list can go on...

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
    • The Truth
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2007, 10:55:31 AM »
It canbe hard to get out of the campus downtown area when you don't have a car.

~Al McGuire

~Robert Heinlein

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2007, 11:57:13 AM »
Coming from Connecticut, there were no good pizzerias in Milwaukee, although after bars I usually found myself at Guiliano's for 2 slices and a beer for $2.50 (something like that?).  New Haven style pizza is the best (even the New York City newspapers concede to New Haven).  And not to start a regional battle, but I've always found that the only people who thought that Chicago style was best were people from Chicago.  ;D  I have always found that people from somewhere else who tried both styles always choose New Haven as the best they ever had.   If you are ever in Connecticut, head to New Haven and try Pepe's Pizza, Sally's Pizza or Modern Apizza.  There are so many mom and pop pizzerias around here that it's extremely rare to see a Dominios, Pizza Hut or Papa John's, etc

I'm also under the opinion that all pizza is good pizza, just some are way better than others.

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2007, 12:15:03 PM »
Guiliano's

that place was fantastic.....pizza there, then go marvel at the outrageousness of Fat Rat and Lola the transvestite at Amigos

good ol' days!
When were you at MU - when I was there, the guy with the Sambraro was the hit at Amigos.  Floyd was always good for a few laughs at the Lanche

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2007, 02:03:09 PM »
As a Chicagoan I want to say the worse thing about some Chicago deep dish is sausage patty on top.

Huh, I always kinda liked the sausage patty.  Can't get that anywhere on the front range though  :(

Too much sausage for the stomach.

caltruda

« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2007, 01:21:55 AM »
Guiliano's -- 2 slices and a beer for $2.25. I cried when I heard Campus Circle bought him out at the end of my sophomore year.

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2007, 12:53:51 PM »
Primas was good.
just couldn't buy into the lil square cuts...

Famous Joes was my fav... psuedo NY style- 2 slices and a beer was the marquette special there.
Amigos followed that place... it was where the DQ is on Wells and 16th.

never forget the owner vouching for me and my dudes when MPD 'busted' us for loping off and absconding with a parking meter.
 :-X

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2007, 03:36:57 PM »
You know, I was thinking about this debate today, and like someone said above, the ethnicity of the original European settlers in Milwaukee somewhat precludes Milwaukee being a destination for good pizza. The large Italian populations in NY and Chicago can take care of that. We Germans, Pollocks and Belgians will take care of the beer and sausage. This is why there's no such thing as "Milwaukee style" pizza, and why nobody south of Illinois knows that a brat is something you eat.  ;)

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2007, 03:47:27 PM »
was Lucci's connected?

Yep.

Guilliano's was very good pizza as well. Though it is also closed now, Cataldo's on Brady was pretty good too.

Zaffiros is a good choice in Milwaukee now. Good news for those of us in the Brookfield/Waukesha area where finding a decent pizza can be a monumental task, as there is going to be a Zaffiro's in the new Marcus theater opening next month that will supposedly be serving the same pizza.

BigSky

• Starter
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2007, 04:24:24 PM »
Guiliano's -- 2 slices and a beer for $2.25. I cried when I heard Campus Circle bought him out at the end of my sophomore year.

Indeed. 

Altruda, enjoy your work for AP sports btw. 

Guiliano's was great.  Good pizza, good price, open late.  Nice owners too.

feedback