[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: #13 in Coaches Poll/#14 in AP  (Read 4496 times)

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
#13 in Coaches Poll/#14 in AP
« on: December 26, 2011, 12:13:45 PM »
Wisco is 11. GT is 12. Mississippi State and Indiana came in at 14 and 15.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 01:27:51 PM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

RyanConroy

Re: #13 in Coaches Poll
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 12:17:47 PM »
I'll take that. I'm guessing we'll be looking at 14 or 15 in the AP.

RyanConroy

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 01:11:07 PM »

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 01:25:43 PM »
Yup, #14 in the AP: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/rankings

Indiana at #13 in AP. They'll get smoked twice this week and fall back in the 20s.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: #13 in Coaches Poll/#14 in AP
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 01:44:01 PM »
The vote totals are really tight between 10 and 15 so the start of conference play for all causing losses (or upsets) will really change these rankings in 14 days.

Stay tuned

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 01:48:57 PM »
Indiana at #13 in AP. They'll get smoked twice this week and fall back in the 20s.
Indiana is pretty strong, but they certainly could.  Really glad four of the five behind us lost to break our fall, and i can't complain.

My main complaint this year was that we didn't move up further when we won at Wisconsin.  The are #1 in Pomeroy and #4 in Sagarin and we beat them on their own court.  At that point we really deserved to be around #7, but as you said the other day, we have not played like a Top 10 team since then.

Things really are balance up top.  Normally the Number 1 team in the country is around a "95" in Sagarin.  When we beat Wisconsin, we were a "99" for the year, four points than second place Ohio state.

Now no team is above a "92," so noone is looking unbeatable, making it a year when the sky is the limit.  I believe Kentucky, UNC, Ohio State or even Duke have the potential to separate from the rest of the country, but if they don't this is one of those years where it's wide open.
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2011, 01:58:26 PM »
my picks were 13-15 so cant complain but the teams in front of us? I hate that.

Same losses as MSSt but they lost to freakim akron and started behind us in polls this season. Then wisco has 2 losses 1 of which to us.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2011, 02:30:48 PM »
I know it these polls don't really matter, but ...

It still doesn't thrill me when a team we beat on their home court gets ranked ahead of us.

We have a better record and a better RPI. We are 4-0 against Top 40 teams; they are 1-2. Their best win was against UNLV at home. Ours was against, um, WISCONSIN, on the road, without our point guard, in a game we pretty much dominated for 30 minutes.

It's not as if LSU is horrible -- 9-3 with 6 straight wins.

Oh well, beat Vandy and Nova this week, the ranking goes back up and I have no reason to bitch. And if we can't beat good teams like those at home, then we probably shouldn't be ranked.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

denverMU

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 03:05:52 PM »
+ 1,000,000

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2011, 05:44:52 PM »
I know it these polls don't really matter, but ...

It still doesn't thrill me when a team we beat on their home court gets ranked ahead of us.

We have a better record and a better RPI. We are 4-0 against Top 40 teams; they are 1-2. Their best win was against UNLV at home. Ours was against, um, WISCONSIN, on the road, without our point guard, in a game we pretty much dominated for 30 minutes.

It's not as if LSU is horrible -- 9-3 with 6 straight wins.

Oh well, beat Vandy and Nova this week, the ranking goes back up and I have no reason to bitch. And if we can't beat good teams like those at home, then we probably shouldn't be ranked.

totally agree!!  i know 11th ranked teams and wisconsin is not an 11th ranked team

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2011, 05:50:46 PM »

Most likely IU goes 2 and 4 in the next six games.  If they are for real, then they go 3 and 3.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2011, 05:57:52 PM »
my picks were 13-15 so cant complain but the teams in front of us? I hate that.

Same losses as MSSt but they lost to freakim akron and started behind us in polls this season. Then wisco has 2 losses 1 of which to us.

Yeah, but they beat Team USA!!!

Scratch that, actually it was the University of South Alabama.  Maybe the pollsters are making the same mistake.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2011, 07:41:37 PM »
Rankings don't mean that much to me. Big State schools with large fan bases will always get higher rankings, all things considered equal, than small Catholic/Private schools with smaller fan bases.

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2011, 09:03:02 PM »
Why is Seth Davis always so down on MU! This year is no different. Notice how much everyone is pulling for IU.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2011, 09:52:54 AM »
Rankings don't mean that much to me. Big State schools with large fan bases will always get higher rankings, all things considered equal, than small Catholic/Private schools with smaller fan bases.

Big state schools are correct, but don't forget the "especially the schools who are traditional powerhouses."

Case in point: Not more than two years ago, UNC was the NIT runner-up, yet they started the year ranked #6-(1) in the AP & were still ranked in the top-10 going into conference play.  Even after three straight conference losses, they still hung in the top-25 until the end of January.

For further reading, see: UCONN, 2010-11 -- a team that mustered 8 AP points in the pre-season poll, climbed to the top-10 at the start of conference play, and fell to #21 before the BET.  We all saw how that one turned out.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2011, 10:01:07 AM »
Rankings dont mean a lot to me, but how could UW be ranked ahead of MU?  MU beat them in Madison AND they have two total losses...  Their best win is probably UNLV.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2011, 12:39:49 PM »
I think it is just because they started ahead of us and a lot of the people who vote seem to have railroad spikes sticking in their brains.

That or no one watches the games and just votes as a pack.  I mean good lord.  Matthew Stevens had us 5 on his list last week and then 18 this week.  We lost to a team from the SEC at their home court.  How can he possibly explain this other than, "I don't get paid to vote, I get paid to write articles for a newspaper".

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2011, 02:54:00 PM »
I think it is just because they started ahead of us and a lot of the people who vote seem to have railroad spikes sticking in their brains.

That or no one watches the games and just votes as a pack.  I mean good lord.  Matthew Stevens had us 5 on his list last week and then 18 this week.  We lost to a team from the SEC at their home court.  How can he possibly explain this other than, "I don't get paid to vote, I get paid to write articles for a newspaper".

I've long proclaimed that this is the case with the coaches poll... at least part of the job description for an AP writer is "watch as many games as you can."  Even so, I'm sure that a lot of voters from both polls watch no more than a dozen games a week and rely heavily upon SportsCenter and last week's poll to create the current week's ballot.  That said, the AP poll is about the best we can do to measure 25 teams who haven't all played each other.

Rankings are fun, and generally if a team is ranked, they're probably pretty good.  That's about all they're good for.  Personally, I expected MU to drop to the 20's this week, so I suppose I was surprised to see they only fell to 14.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.