[Today at 05:10:01 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by Hards Alumni
[Today at 05:06:39 PM]

Oso (and Stevie) by JakeBarnes
[Today at 02:42:16 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MU82
[Today at 01:56:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bilas' Top 68  (Read 19113 times)

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Re: Bilas' Top 68
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 09:07:12 PM »
I have insider, but for some reason it won't show me his rankings. I will post them when it works..
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

MUcookie30

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 09:13:49 PM »
1. Syracuse Orange 

The Orange are great in transition, and Jim Boeheim has options at multiple positions.

2. Kentucky Wildcats

The most talented team in college basketball, and they maul the ball on defense.

3. North Carolina Tar Heels 

The Heels lack a killer instinct right now, but their talent and coaching will win the day.

4. Ohio State Buckeyes 

Thad Matta has three elite players in Sullinger, Buford and Craft.

5. Duke Blue Devils

This Duke team needs to embrace team defense; it cannot overwhelm the best teams.

6. Marquette Golden Eagles

This team has fight and the ability to get into the lane at will.

7. Kansas Jayhawks

If the Jayhawks take better care of the ball and make better decisions, they can still be the Big 12's best.

8. Louisville Cardinals

Healthy, this is a Final Four contender. The training staff could be MVP.

9. Xavier Musketeers

The strength of this team is in the backcourt, where Lyons and Holloway take a backseat to no one.

10. Missouri Tigers

The Tigers are playing the right way and valuing possessions.

11. Baylor Bears

Long and athletic, the Bears have a formidable frontline. With guard play to match, could be Big 12's best.

12. Connecticut Huskies

More talented than last year's champions, and still learning.

13. Wisconsin Badgers

A good team that is subject to scoring droughts.

14. Michigan State Spartans

Don't be fooled by the 0-2 start; the Spartans will play with anyone by the end.

15. Florida Gators

Outstanding shooting team that lacks size and bulk, but fun for Billy Donovan to coach.

16. Georgetown Hoyas

Talented but inexperienced in spots, Hoyas are good and getting better.

17. Indiana Hoosiers

The first steps toward high-level consistency. What will the Hoosiers do when they inevitably see their own blood?

18. Pittsburgh Panthers

Panthers still finding rotations and their identity. A work in progress.

19. Alabama Crimson Tide

Tide can do everything but shoot it.

20. UNLV Rebels

Rebels still on the innocent climb; Stanback and Moser are the real thing.

21. Virginia Cavaliers

The third best team in a weakened ACC? I say yes.

22. Michigan Wolverines

Inconsistent scoring team, but much promise behind Trey Burke.

23. Vanderbilt Commodores

With Ezeli back, Vandy can start playing tougher without having to cover up.

24. Stanford Cardinal

This team plays hard and has some good pieces.

25. Illinois Fighting Illini

Good defenders and an emerging big guy in Meyers Leonard. How tough are the Illini?

26. Saint Louis Billikens

They dribble, pass and shoot, and do not get sped up.

27. Creighton Bluejays

Doug McDermott could play anywhere and be a star performer.

28. Murray State Racers

The Racers play with a chip, and could wind up cashing some in.

29. Harvard Crimson

This team is legit, and might not lose in Ivy League play.

30. Florida State Seminoles

Seminoles are big and can really defend, but scoring is an issue.

31. Memphis Tigers

Length and talent, but Tigers need bulk and a defensive mindset.

32. California Golden Bears

Bears are pretty good, but is this really the best team in the Pac-12?

33. Wichita State Shockers

Experienced talent in Toure' Murry, Joe Ragland and David Kyles.

34. Gonzaga Bulldogs

Who does Mark Few play next, the Lakers? Still a good value in the Tournament.

35. Brigham Young Cougars

Every guy on the roster is older than Dave Rose. Still good without Jimmer.

36. San Diego State Aztecs

Didn't see this one coming, but the Aztecs are pretty good in a soft year.

37. St. Mary's Gaels

Matthew Dellavedova and Rob Jones make the Gaels solid.

38. Northern Iowa Panthers

Good depth, and they play disciplined ball to win. Just don't operate heavy machinery while watching them.

39. Marshall Thundering Herd

Damier Pitts and DeAndre Kane make this team dangerous.

40. West Virginia Mountaineers

Not Huggins' best team, but Kevin Jones is stepping forward.

41. Purdue Boilermakers

Gave one away at Xavier, and don't have much margin for error.

42. Temple Owls

Ramone Moore can give you 30, but losing Micheal Eric was a blow.

43. Belmont Bruins

Rick Byrd's team plays fast and has size and shooting.

44. Iona Gaels

Scott Machado is the real thing at point, and Michael Glover provides scoring and toughness.

45. Texas A&M Aggies

Aggies can really guard, but everything is inside the arc.

46. Oklahoma Sooners

Sooners scrap, and get second shots. There is some talent there, too.

47. Seton Hall Pirates

Herb Pope is finally in shape and cares, and his numbers show it.

48. Mississippi State Bulldogs

This spot is too low for the talent the Bulldogs have.

49. Kansas State Wildcats

The Wildcats play hard, have size and defend. But they cannot shoot the ball.

50. Long Beach State 49ers

Tougher schedule than any little guy in the country. Casper Ware is a terrific player.

51. Arizona Wildcats

When the Wildcats hit shots, they can play with any team in the Pac-12.

52. Texas Longhorns

Rick Barnes has a very young team. Big burden on J'Covan Brown to score.

53. Virginia Tech Hokies

Young but good talent. This team will have some good moments.

54. Cleveland State Vikings

Not great offensively, but Vikings have beaten some really good teams.

55. Kent State Golden Flashes

This team defends well and has size, but turns it over too much.

56. New Mexico Lobos

Drew Gordon is a consistent double-double guy.

57. Dayton Flyers

Very inconsistent, but proven to play well against good teams.

58. Cincinnati Bearcats

At full strength, should be a Tournament team.

59. Northwestern Wildcats

Wildcats are putting some pressure on the Cubs.

60. Virginia Commonwealth Rams

Bradford Burgess starting to play well.

61. Washington Huskies

The talent is better than the record. Running out of big-game opportunities.

62. Minnesota Golden Gophers

Without Trevor Mbakwe, it will be tough. But Tubby Smith is tougher.

63. Oklahoma State Cowboys

Cowboys have some good shooters who are not making shots.

64. Ohio Bobcats

D.J. Cooper is an outstanding guard for John Groce.

65. Missouri State Bears

Missouri Valley has depth with Missouri State as the fourth team.

66. North Carolina State Wolfpack

Mark Gottfried has gotten the most out of this team. They have kept it simple.

67. Southern Miss Golden Eagles

A deliberate style, but this team plays really hard.

68. Oregon State Beavers

An improving team with a star in Jared Cunningham.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 09:14:16 PM »
Jay Bilas ranks Marquette the sixth best team in the nation, behind only:

Syracuse,
Kentucky,
UNC,
Ohio State and
Duke.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 09:18:26 PM »
Jay Bilas ranks Marquette the sixth best team in the nation, behind only:

Syracuse,
Kentucky,
UNC,
Ohio State and
Duke.

That's a nice neighborhood to live in right there.  Keep up the good work Buzz, staff, team...awesome seeing MU regarded this highly by a respected expert like Bilas.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 09:20:40 PM »
So Bilas and the computers all have us in the top 7, and hopefully both polls move us up to No. 10.

At some point we drop a couple back to back, but I'm all for being as high as we can get and with as many highlights as possible before we drop a few spots at some point.
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 12:48:32 AM »
That's a nice neighborhood to live in right there.  Keep up the good work Buzz, staff, team...awesome seeing MU regarded this highly by a respected expert like Bilas.

+1.  Bilas knows his stuff.  Buzz doing a wonderful job with this group this year.  Bilas, however, also said again this week that the Big Ten is the best conference in America this year and the Big East is down.  Hard to argue with him, every rating system says the same thing.
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 01:06:29 AM »
+1.  Bilas knows his stuff.  Buzz doing a wonderful job with this group this year.  Bilas, however, also said again this week that the Big Ten is the best conference in America this year and the Big East is down.  Hard to argue with him, every rating system says the same thing.

And that pertains to this discussion, how exactly?

I hope Marquette can somehow sneak up to number 9 past Xavier and maybe UConn? I love seeing a single digit next to the Marquette name.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 10:07:46 AM »
+1.  Bilas knows his stuff.  Buzz doing a wonderful job with this group this year.  Bilas, however, also said again this week that the Big Ten is the best conference in America this year and the Big East is down.  Hard to argue with him, every rating system says the same thing.

If Bilas thinks the Big10 is the best conference in America and the Big East is down, please explain his rankings. Per Bilas: 1.Syracuse is the best team in either conference and the best team in the country. 2. The Big East has 3 top 10 teams to the Big10's 1 and 6 teams in the top 20 to the Big 10's 4. 3. The #4 team in the Big East (UCONN) would be the #2 team in the Big10. The #2 team in the Big10 (Wisconsin) would be the #5 team in the Big East.

In addition, you have the Big 10 with 8 (or maybe 9) bids and the Big East with 7. Per Bilas, there are 9 Big East teams better than the 8th best Big10 team (#58 Northwestern).

Finally, there are 9 Big East and 9 Big10 teams in Jay's top 68, and on ALL NINE LINES (1vs1, 2vs2, etc) the Big East team is rated higher.

In summary, I take your word for it that Bilas thinks the Big10 is awesome and the Big East down, but his own rankings don't seem to reflect that.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 10:24:49 AM by Lennys Tap »

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 09:25:32 PM »
If Bilas thinks the Big10 is the best conference in America and the Big East is down, please explain his rankings. Per Bilas: 1.Syracuse is the best team in either conference and the best team in the country. 2. The Big East has 3 top 10 teams to the Big10's 1 and 6 teams in the top 20 to the Big 10's 4. 3. The #4 team in the Big East (UCONN) would be the #2 team in the Big10. The #2 team in the Big10 (Wisconsin) would be the #5 team in the Big East.

In addition, you have the Big 10 with 8 (or maybe 9) bids and the Big East with 7. Per Bilas, there are 9 Big East teams better than the 8th best Big10 team (#58 Northwestern).

Finally, there are 9 Big East and 9 Big10 teams in Jay's top 68, and on ALL NINE LINES (1vs1, 2vs2, etc) the Big East team is rated higher.

In summary, I take your word for it that Bilas thinks the Big10 is awesome and the Big East down, but his own rankings don't seem to reflect that.

Seems that Jay Bilas, Andy Katz, Sagarin, Nolan, Palm, Pomeroy and most others that follow college basketball define the relative strength of a conference in totality and not on a random cutoff line (which you arbitrarily draw to fit your argument) as to how many teams deep you go to evaluate a conference.  These gentlemen, myself included, evaluate a conference (the entire conference) and not just the top 5 teams or top 3 teams.

What ranking system are you using?  The writers?  The Coaches?  The RPI?  Ken Pom?  RPI?  

Now, back to your question. Using your own analysis, there are 9 Big East teams in his top 68 and 9 Big Ten teams in his top 68.  Query, that would mean 75% of the Big Ten made his top 68 but barely 50% of the Big East made his top 68.  You did the work for me and didn't even know it.   :D

His own rankings only go through the top 68, not an evaluation of every team in a conference.  That seems pretty clear to everyone when the title is "Bilas' Top 68".  His rankings are just fine, but you seem to not be paying attention the the full conference, not just the ones he ranked.  For all we know he has all 12 Big Ten teams in his top 100 but has South Florida, DePaul, Providence and others 150 or worse.  We don't know, but there is nothing inconsistent with his rankings and his remarks that the best conference this year is the Big East.  

Also, you don't need to take my word for it, you can go to the Purdue board, the Michigan State board, the Louisville board, and others that all have similar postings about Bilas and Katz's comments on the strength of the conferences.

In summary, RPI, Kenpom, Sagarin, Nolan, Massey, Palm, and everyone else says the Big Ten is the best conference this year.  The Big East is still very good, but we've taken a step back.  In summary.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 08:24:38 AM by Hoopaloop »
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 10:03:38 AM »

His rankings are just fine, but you seem to not be paying attention the the full conference, not just the ones he ranked.  For all we know he has all 12 Big Ten teams in his top 100 but has South Florida, DePaul, Providence and others 150 or worse.    

For you to even suggest the possibility that anyone might have Iowa or Penn State in the top 100 shows a staggering bias and/or ignorance. It makes further discussion moot, but just FYI Sagarin has Iowa 165 and PSU 176 (Providence 110, Depaul 118 and South Florida 157).

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 10:18:18 AM »
When MU finishes with a better conference record than Indiana, this is just a talking point to not give Buzz any credit and excuse Crean.  On the flip side, he spent all of last year ripping on our conference record even though 12 of our 18 games were against tournament teams and another four were against top 100 competition.  Do not feed into Chicos' game.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 12:35:51 PM »
When MU finishes with a better conference record than Indiana, this is just a talking point to not give Buzz any credit and excuse Crean.  On the flip side, he spent all of last year ripping on our conference record even though 12 of our 18 games were against tournament teams and another four were against top 100 competition.  Do not feed into Chicos' game.

Point well taken

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2011, 08:50:18 PM »
1. Syracuse Orange

The Orange have beaten three Sagarin Top 25 teams with a highly efficient offense and transition game. Jim Boeheim's defense is improving.

2. Kentucky Wildcats

No holes on this team, with a top-five Kenpom.com offense and defense. Plus, John Calipari's young Cats play as hard together as anyone else.

3. North Carolina Tar Heels

If the Heels make free throws and take an attitude to dominate, they can be (and finish) No. 1.

4. Ohio State Buckeyes

With a healthy Sullinger, this team is unbeaten. The Buckeyes still lack perimeter shooting and a lockdown wing defender.

5. Duke Blue Devils

Blue Devils will be able to score enough points. Can they guard the dribble and contain the ball? Against the very best, it will be an issue.

6. Louisville Cardinals

Cards have three wins against the Sagarin Top 50 with a highly rated defense that speeds you up and forces quick shots. Scoring efficiency will be tested against Kentucky.

7. Kansas Jayhawks

Jayhawks have no margin for error. Bill Self one of the few with the courage/craziness to play Davidson after final exams. His team has to make better decisions and take a blue-collar approach. This Kansas team won't "out-talent" anybody good.

8. Xavier Musketeers

Xavier is clearly a mess right now, with losses to Oral Roberts, Long Beach State and Hawaii, and nobody knows what the Musketeers will be post-suspensions. I am leaving Xavier in place until the team is back at full strength. This spot is a gift, for now.

9. Missouri Tigers

So far, Missouri has been a top-five offensive team. But the Tigers haven't really played anybody, and nobody with enough size to really hurt them.

10. Baylor Bears

Bears' defense is very good, but too many offensive rebounds surrendered and too many turnovers on the offensive end. They have three Sagarin Top 50 wins but haven't played anyone. I think I went to grade school with Paul Quinn. He has a college now?

11. Marquette Golden Eagles

A group of strong-minded drivers who need to gang-rebound. How good they can be depends upon how many second shots they give up. Right now, it's too many.

12. Connecticut Huskies

UConn is better offensively than I expected but not as good defensively. When that comes around, this team can rise.

13. Florida Gators

Gators can really score from deep but need to be better defensively and get to the free throw line more often. This team will get better and better.

14. Michigan State Spartans

If Tom Izzo solidifies the point, Spartans can beat anyone in the Big Ten. Kenpom.com defensive numbers are very good, but turnovers and consistent free throw shooting are issues.

15. Wisconsin Badgers

Kenpom.com rates Wisconsin No. 1 overall because of tempo and defensive efficiency. My eyes tell me different, but Badgers are still good and still tough to play against.

16. Indiana Hoosiers

The schedule has been a bit soft overall, but Indiana is scoring very efficiently. How will the Hoosiers react when they see their own blood, and the innocent climb is derailed? This team is ahead of schedule.

17. Georgetown Hoyas

Hoyas are tougher than they look and than their age would indicate. Kenpom.com puts Georgetown in the 20s, but I like the talent level.

18. UNLV Rebels

Tested with good talent, Rebels still need to better guard the 3-point line. The win over North Carolina only lasts so long without being validated. UNLV is capable.

19. Pittsburgh Panthers

Panthers grind you on offense, and Kenpom.com rates Pitt as the nation's most efficient offensive team. Still a work in progress, though. Pitt is not quite as powerful as its numbers indicate.

20. Virginia Cavaliers

The ACC's version of Wisconsin, but perhaps better on the offensive end. After Carolina and Duke, yes, it could be Virginia.

21. Alabama Crimson Tide

If the Tide make shots, this is a very good team. If not, they have to grind. That makes them vulnerable.

22. Michigan Wolverines

Well-coached and very solid. Wolverines can beat almost anyone if they hit shots but can lose to almost anyone when they don't. They keep you on a string but get no second shots and shoot no free throws.

23. Stanford Cardinal

Solid defensively and getting better. Cardinal have not played a murderers' row but can play with almost anyone. It will be interesting for Stanford against physical teams.

24. Creighton Bluejays

A top-10 offense in the Kenpom.com ratings, and best team in the Missouri Valley. Doug McDermott is Jays' Szczerbiak or Curry.

25. Murray State Racers

Racers have beaten good teams, although the numbers don't suggest the Top 25. I like what I see. They play hard.

26. Saint Louis Billikens

An outstanding passing team, and they don't beat themselves. You have to do it.

27. Gonzaga Bulldogs

A good mix of inside and out, and Mark Few won't shy away from a fight. The game against Xavier will be a rising opportunity. I like this Zags team.

28. Illinois Fighting Illini

I rank the Illini this high because they have good talent and can guard people. They can't score, though, and that catches up eventually.

29. Harvard Crimson

Crimson will go into blackout conditions until the NCAA tournament. They have to find a way to motivate themselves without pats on the back that television provides. Most media will react only upon a loss going forward.

30. Memphis Tigers

Athleticism and talent, but defensive toughness is the key. This team can rise through the season. But it has to be on defense.

31. Florida State Seminoles

Seminoles have a top-five defense and an anemic offense. This team can beat you up and grind you down.

32. Mississippi State Bulldogs

Crazy talent and confounding numbers. Still, your eyes tell you this team is better than the paper says.

33. California Golden Bears

The loss to Missouri is hard to shake out of your head, but Cal defends well. Turnovers are still too high, but Cal can win the Pac-12. But so can anyone else in that league.

34. Wichita State Shockers

Experienced and will continue to get better. Lost to Alabama and Temple but beat UNLV at home. Also, beat Newman. Hello, Newman!

35. Brigham Young Cougars

Top 25 in offense and defense in Kenpom.com ratings. Well-coached, too.

36. Vanderbilt Commodores

This team is missing something. It may need to see the wizard. It's confounding to see the wild swings in performance.

37. St. Mary's Gaels

Solid and well-coached, Gaels play on both ends. But they don't do anything great.

38. San Diego State Aztecs

Pieces and overall numbers don't suggest Aztecs should be this high, but they continue to win games.

39. Marshall Thundering Herd

Check out DeAndre Kane. He is really good. This team scraps.

40. Purdue Boilermakers

Boilers play harder than you do, and that is how they win. Plus, Robbie Hummel is back. Purdue has to play harder, because it won't win on talent alone.

41. West Virginia Mountaineers

Mountaineers were rough early, but Kevin Jones has carried a big load for Bob Huggins.

42. Iona Gaels

The Gaels have a top-15-rated offense, and Scott Machado would be celebrated if on television more often. He is truly outstanding. Mike Glover is a load.

43. Northern Iowa Panthers

Losing at home dropped the Panthers a bit, but I still wouldn't want to play them. It's like playing Wisconsin in sand.

44. Belmont Bruins

Bruins play fast and will play anyone without fear. They haven't cashed in yet but have been close. More losses than I expected, but people are better prepared for them this year.

45. Oklahoma Sooners

Steven Pledger has been excellent of late, and Lon Kruger adds a calm hand.

46. Seton Hall Pirates

Pirates have beaten one team in the Sagarin Top 50 (VCU). Is this too high? Perhaps, but it is early. Big East play will confirm this position or make the Pirates walk the plank.

47. Texas A&M Aggies

Defense without offense gets you only so far. But I still like this team.

48. Temple Owls

Owls lack size. That hurts them, as did the loss at Texas.

49. Kansas State Wildcats

See Texas A&M above. Wildcats need to find scoring.

50. Long Beach State 49ers

After playing one hellacious schedule, Niners will be battle-tested. Casper Ware and Larry Anderson make a terrific backcourt.

51. Arizona Wildcats

A young team that needs to mature.

52. Texas Longhorns

A really young team that really needs to mature. Very talented, but took one on the chin at North Carolina. It wasn't ready for that.

53. New Mexico Lobos

Excellent on the defensive end. This may wind up being too low.

54. Virginia Tech Hokies

Hokies will be right on the bubble. Again. Tech needs quality wins. But if Tech were in the Colonial, we'd think more highly of it.

55. Cincinnati Bearcats

So far, resilient and playing well without Yancy Gates.

56. Cleveland State Vikings

Vikings force turnovers with aggressive defense but put opponents on the free throw line too much. I rate them higher than their numbers suggest I should.

57. Kent State Golden Flashes

This team really defends but is scary in March.

58. Virginia Commonwealth Rams

I am continually impressed with how hard this team plays. As weak as the Pac-12 is, Rams can be an at-large with continued improvement. Who ever complained about that? Oh, yeah. I did.

59. Northwestern Wildcats

Plenty of chances in a tough Big Ten. Need to cash in, but I'm not sure rebounding and defense will allow it.

60. Dayton Flyers

Inconsistent, but solid wins propping up lesser numbers. This team could drop.

61. Ohio Bobcats

Solid all-around team that can make shots. But free throw line a major factor. Bobcats don't get there enough and put opponents there too much.

62. Minnesota Golden Gophers

This may be too low. Minnesota hasn't given up more than 56 points since Trevor Mbakwe was hurt. Turnovers remain a concern.

63. Southern Miss Golden Eagles

Unlike the typical Larry Eustachy team, much better offensively than on defense.

64. Oregon State Beavers

Beavers have to beat top teams in the Pac-12. Otherwise, there is not enough to move out other quality teams and move into at-large range.

65. North Carolina State Wolfpack

Guard play is the only major concern. This team has performed beyond expectations.

66. Missouri State Bears

A fourth team from the Missouri Valley Conference? Yes.

67. Saint Joseph's Hawks

Think how good they'd be with a 7-footer coming off the bench. What?! Too soon?

68. LSU Tigers

The Tigers' numbers don't suggest they can remain in the top 68. This group has a hard time scoring, and no team this offensively challenged can get enough stops over time.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2011, 09:31:38 PM »
Bilas knows us way too well.  Limiting second shots will be the key to the season.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2011, 09:56:51 PM »
For you to even suggest the possibility that anyone might have Iowa or Penn State in the top 100 shows a staggering bias and/or ignorance. It makes further discussion moot, but just FYI Sagarin has Iowa 165 and PSU 176 (Providence 110, Depaul 118 and South Florida 157).

That is not what I suggested.  We don't know what his rankings are beyond 68, for all we know he ranks them in the top 100, but we don't know. He would need to rank them all.

What we do know is that a higher percentage of Big Ten teams are in the top 68 than Big East, thanks to the research work you did for all of us.  After watching Wagner defeat Pitt at home, Louisville escape against Western Kentucky, the bottom of the conference has some poor losses, he is right.  All the major evaluators are right, the Big East just isn't as good this year. 

A distant 3rd in Ken Pom,  3rd in Sagarin, 4th in RPI.  Don't take it so personal.  The conference is still very good, just not as good as the Big Ten this year and everyone knows it including Jay Bilas.  Apparently you are the only one that doesn't.   :)

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2011, 10:01:37 PM »

He really got into your minds.  Did he plant earwigs into your heads so they could plant eggs to mind alter some of you?  What has it been, 6 months (9 months?) since the guy left and some of you still cannot stop talking about him. 

MU better finish with a better record than IU this year.  MU should finish 3rd in the conference this year.  IU, in most magazines I read, didn't even think they would make the NCAA tournament.  With the Big Ten better than the Big East this year, MU should finish with a better conference record.  MU is a better team in a weaker conference.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2011, 10:23:04 PM »
He really got into your minds.  Did he plant earwigs into your heads so they could plant eggs to mind alter some of you?  What has it been, 6 months (9 months?) since the guy left and some of you still cannot stop talking about him. 

MU better finish with a better record than IU this year.  MU should finish 3rd in the conference this year.  IU, in most magazines I read, didn't even think they would make the NCAA tournament.  With the Big Ten better than the Big East this year, MU should finish with a better conference record.  MU is a better team in a weaker conference.

How did that disprove a single thing I said? If anything it just reinforced it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2011, 10:39:33 PM »
Bilas: "11. Marquette Golden Eagles. A group of strong-minded drivers who need to gang-rebound. How good they can be depends upon how many second shots they give up. Right now, it's too many."

Hard to argue with either the ranking or the assessment.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2011, 12:08:55 AM »

How can you accuse Chicos of being into anybody elses mind? He's in your mind to the point of you being his mini-me, constantly parroting The World According to Chicos.

As for this year's conference records, MU's and IU's should be about the same. They are ranked about the same and the conferences are close to equal. What some magazine written in August (or earlier) projected is meaningless now that 12 or 13 games have been played.

Entering conference play, IU is a top 15 team in both polls, and a reasonable expectation based on the preconference would be 3rd place at 12-6 or 13-5. Don't think either the IU or MU faithful will be satisfied with 6th or 7th place (where they were slotted preseason).

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2011, 11:17:02 AM »
How did that disprove a single thing I said? If anything it just reinforced it.

How about starting with your accusation that I am someone that I am not

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2011, 11:22:02 AM »
How can you accuse Chicos of being into anybody elses mind? He's in your mind to the point of you being his mini-me, constantly parroting The World According to Chicos.

As for this year's conference records, MU's and IU's should be about the same. They are ranked about the same and the conferences are close to equal. What some magazine written in August (or earlier) projected is meaningless now that 12 or 13 games have been played.

Entering conference play, IU is a top 15 team in both polls, and a reasonable expectation based on the preconference would be 3rd place at 12-6 or 13-5. Don't think either the IU or MU faithful will be satisfied with 6th or 7th place (where they were slotted preseason).

Considering you and a few others continue to talk about him, continue to reference him, he is definitely in your minds. 

I predicted MU to finish 3rd, he predicted 5th or 6th if my memory is correct on Cracked Sidewalks.  He is not crazy about JC's game, I rather like it.   I'm sure there are considerable other differences if I cared enough to look, but since you seem to know everything he says you can save us all some work on that front.  Or maybe you can make up something that Jay Bilas didn't say and claim he did.   :)

You are right about magazines and when they pick teams.  They are dated.  Instead, we should tap into your expertise about IU and the Big Ten this year.  Have you been right about any of it?  Not based on what I have read from you on this board. When has emotion not got the best of you almost every time you talk about either entity, putting that 45 years of wisdom of watching MU into jeopardy because of your lack of objectiveness?  What would Jay Bilas not say?   

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2011, 01:21:15 PM »

You are right about magazines and when they pick teams.  They are dated.  Instead, we should tap into your expertise about IU and the Big Ten this year.  Have you been right about any of it?  Not based on what I have read from you on this board. When has emotion not got the best of you almost every time you talk about either entity, putting that 45 years of wisdom of watching MU into jeopardy because of your lack of objectiveness?  What would Jay Bilas not say?  

Don't tap into my expertise regarding IU or MU - go to the "experts". The writers and the coaches rank MU 14th and 13th, IU 13th and 15th - a virtual dead heat. Yet these rankings translate into Marquette being the 5th best team in your down Big East and Indiana the 3rd best in your 8 or 9 bid, all powerful Big Ten. These are numbers, not emotions, and ones that someone from Purdue, of all places, should be able to grasp.

Naturally, you'll place the bar much higher for Marquette and much lower for Indiana as it makes it more likely you'll be able to rip MU and sing IU's praises at season's end. So much for your "objectiveness" (was objectivity the word you were seaching for?).

Contrary to your assertion, I don't suggest that my 45 years of watching MU basketball translates into "wisdom"- perspective, maybe, and to some (not you, obviously) a few interesting anecdotes about the program.

Regarding Jay Bilas, I'm rather glad to have made the misstatement as to the year he made his declaration on the Big East - it's given you something to repeat over and over and over and over and over and over again. If your definition of humor is telling the same weak joke ad infinitum/ad nauseum, congratulations. Mission Accomplished. Maybe you should hang a banner.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 01:40:35 PM by Lennys Tap »

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2011, 10:47:11 AM »
Don't tap into my expertise regarding IU or MU - go to the "experts". The writers and the coaches rank MU 14th and 13th, IU 13th and 15th - a virtual dead heat. Yet these rankings translate into Marquette being the 5th best team in your down Big East and Indiana the 3rd best in your 8 or 9 bid, all powerful Big Ten. These are numbers, not emotions, and ones that someone from Purdue, of all places, should be able to grasp.

Naturally, you'll place the bar much higher for Marquette and much lower for Indiana as it makes it more likely you'll be able to rip MU and sing IU's praises at season's end. So much for your "objectiveness" (was objectivity the word you were seaching for?).

Contrary to your assertion, I don't suggest that my 45 years of watching MU basketball translates into "wisdom"- perspective, maybe, and to some (not you, obviously) a few interesting anecdotes about the program.

Regarding Jay Bilas, I'm rather glad to have made the misstatement as to the year he made his declaration on the Big East - it's given you something to repeat over and over and over and over and over and over again. If your definition of humor is telling the same weak joke ad infinitum/ad nauseum, congratulations. Mission Accomplished. Maybe you should hang a banner.

Let us first note this may be the first time on this board you have ever admitted you were wrong, but it took someone to point it out a number of times for you to finally admit it.  That was one thing your friend told me about you - your inability to ever admit you are wrong despite all the evidence suggesting you are.  For this, you should be commended.  Wish he was here to see this.  Maybe I'll reach out to him on his Facebook page and let him know.  He'll probably fall over on the ski slopes.

A number of folks here have proven that the experts that vote in the polls are anything but experts.  Anyone that believes the polls are a true reflection of a team's value is someone that doesn't understand basketball (or football) this early in the season.  Most teams haven't played anyone yet of worth, or only played 1 or 2 games.  I'd have to go back and look at the posts, but I recall reading several analysis' that showed how brutal these experts are in picking top 25 teams at the beginning of the year who don't even make the NCAA tournament, let alone the top 25 by the end of the year.  This might be a good opportunity for you to admit you are wrong for the second time because the polls at this point in the season are worthless.  Conference play hasn't started, most teams haven't been on the road more than 2 times.  The experts are as clueless on this stuff as anyone else and this can be proven easily by examining the polls the last decade.

Your comments about IU and MU's bar makes no sense to me.  Why would I rip on MU or even compare them to IU?  Two different teams, two different coaches, two different conferences, two very different recent pasts.  MU is on a 6 year NCAA streak with most of the team back this year in a conference that is down a bit.  IU has been terrible since their Kelvin Sampson debacle, they have talent but are very young in a tougher conference.  Seems to be a point of reason and common sense to say MU would do better than IU.  Instead, you make it out like someone that states this very practical opinion has it in for MU?  What is wrong with you?

feedback