collapse

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[May 31, 2024, 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[May 31, 2024, 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[May 31, 2024, 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Ryan Braun Tests Positive for PEDs  (Read 20800 times)

BrewCity83

• All American
Re: Ryan Braun Tests Positive for PEDs
« Reply #125 on: December 21, 2011, 05:08:16 PM »
Don't think it was herpes, Ron Mexico never failed a drug test.

Or did he have a waiver from the league and thus no "failed drug test" was announced?
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Funky Cold Medina

• Walk-On
« Reply #126 on: February 23, 2012, 04:17:29 PM »

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #127 on: February 23, 2012, 04:19:10 PM »
apparently on a technicality...

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #128 on: February 23, 2012, 04:19:38 PM »
Complete joke.

Allows a player to have 4 times the normal levels of testosterone.

They set a dangerous precedent today.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #129 on: February 23, 2012, 04:25:16 PM »
Just wait until the whole story comes out.  Then you can declare whether it's a complete joke or not.  I think all of you who declare this a complete joke without knowing what really happened are a complete joke.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #130 on: February 23, 2012, 04:26:49 PM »
I guess. The article says he got off on some kind of technicality.  Certainly sounds a little BS to me.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #131 on: February 23, 2012, 04:35:25 PM »
MLB released a statement where they "strongly disagree" with the third party's decision to overturn it. 

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #132 on: February 23, 2012, 04:37:58 PM »
It is all Union BS!

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #133 on: February 23, 2012, 04:38:29 PM »
They actually "vehemently disagree".

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #134 on: February 23, 2012, 04:44:42 PM »
They set a dangerous precedent today.

No such thing as precedent in arbitration cases.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #135 on: February 23, 2012, 04:45:29 PM »
They actually "vehemently disagree".

Of course they do...they lost their case.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #136 on: February 23, 2012, 04:46:00 PM »
According to national writers on twitter, the defense centered around the chain of custody being broken for 2 days and left unprotected. With the rumor that there were two other Brewers who had very high levels, but were thrown out, it could be fairly reasonable to assume someone tampered with it.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #137 on: February 23, 2012, 04:58:21 PM »
Of course they do...they lost their case.

They disagree because it makes the steroid testing process a complete joke.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #138 on: February 23, 2012, 05:00:16 PM »
Given a) the money involved with pro sports contracts, b) the litigious nature of our society, and c) the willingness in sports to cave on any matter of principal so long as you're compensated --- if just one test can be overturned on a technicality - be that a technicality in due process or the in the testing process itself - every athlete's agent will attempt to use that result as precedent as to why their client's test was inaccurate/questionable/invalid/etc in the future, and honestly, I don't think MLB has the resources or desire to defend its policy against a bombardment of test appeals, even if the appeals have no merit whatsoever.  I hate making slippery slope arguments, but there's significant value to the WADA and MLB in the deterrent that 0 for 12 on appeals has on those contemplating an appeal.  Unless one player is greater than the MLB drug-testing policy, Braun is going to be the sacrificial lamb if he has any level of culpability whatsoever.

The only way Braun and MLB can come out unscathed is if there was deliberate misconduct or fraud by the WADA and some scientist in Montreal goes to jail.

------
From ESPN.com:

"It has always been Major League Baseball's position that no matter who tests positive, we will exhaust all avenues in pursuit of the appropriate discipline. We have been true to that position in every instance, because baseball fans deserve nothing less," Manfred said. "As a part of our drug testing program, the commissioner's office and the players' association agreed to a neutral third party review for instances that are under dispute. While we have always respected that process, Major League Baseball vehemently disagrees with the decision rendered today by arbitrator Shyam Das."
------

As I predicted (although not by the exact method), MLB is throwing Braun under the bus to cover its own ass.  "Ass" being their sham drug testing policy.

I'm happy for Braun.  But I'm pissed at MLB... and Congress needs to be recalling Bud Selig for testimony because MLB has represented that they have this cutting-edge drug testing policy.  If anybody is under the illusion that MLB has this "tough on PED" policy, I have some beachfront property in the Yukon I'd like to sell you.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #139 on: February 23, 2012, 05:10:12 PM »
No such thing as precedent in arbitration cases.

How can you say it doesn't set a precedent?  If you test positive, find a technicality and you are free.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #140 on: February 23, 2012, 05:15:48 PM »
How can you say it doesn't set a precedent?  If you test positive, find a technicality and you are free.

Agreed.... the worldwide leader is already speculating that past tests could be re-opened.  Pandora's box is full of worms.... this could get quite nasty for MLB.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MUONTOP

• Starter
« Reply #141 on: February 23, 2012, 07:21:33 PM »
Agreed.... the worldwide leader is already speculating that past tests could be re-opened.  Pandora's box is full of worms.... this could get quite nasty for MLB.

Right, because an arbitration system with a 0% chance of success on appeal is a much better policy  Science isn't perfect and mistakes can be made. Everyone already has the same chance to appeal, this changes nothing and sets no precedent other than proving the system works.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #142 on: February 23, 2012, 08:54:09 PM »
This isn't science.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #143 on: February 23, 2012, 08:57:15 PM »

Does Pandora have a STD?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #144 on: February 24, 2012, 12:16:00 AM »
They disagree because it makes the steroid testing process a complete joke.

The same process they agreed to, and are now doing all they can to undermine? When Sosa and mcGuire were making everyone rich they turned a blind eye. Now that they have an agreed upon process in place they can't criticize it enough. Embarrassing.

wadesworld

• All American
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #146 on: February 24, 2012, 07:09:42 AM »
Love that article!

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #147 on: February 24, 2012, 07:28:17 AM »
I love the part where it says we don't know if braun is clean.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #148 on: February 24, 2012, 07:36:01 AM »
I love the part where it says we don't know if braun is clean.
We don't know if he is dirty, either.  You and others have jumped on that.  I think there are irregularities here that MLB needs to explain.  They are the ones so critical.  I guess if they botched the control and handling procedures, they WOULD want to focus the light somewhere else.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #149 on: February 24, 2012, 07:45:01 AM »
Except they didn't.  You trust a courier with a package.  They knew where the package was the entire time.  If you trust a courier for two hours, why is he suddenly not trustworthy for 48.  The testing facility received the samples completely sealed and showing no signs of tampering or degradation.  There has to be more to the story, because based on what we know so far, it doesn't make sense.