Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Was disappointed....  (Read 4262 times)

Canadian Dimes

• All American
Was disappointed....
« on: December 07, 2011, 04:45:15 PM »
yes we won last night and I was quite happy with that.  There are many positives to be taken from last nights game.

1.  First time in MSG for 3 Freshman who played well.
2. We beat a very talented team with 4 and 5 star recruits all over the place.
3. For the second time this year we found a way to win when it looked like we would not and in other years would not have won.
4. We won despite the other team having a good big man and our big man out.
5. We won with out good PG play.
6. Our offense is still very potent.

All good things and I think it says alot for Buzz and the program to go into MSG last night, lose our starting center and place a fabulously talented, although maybe not yet ready for prime time Washington team, and come out with a win. 
Just F'ing Win BABY!!

I was though quite dissapointed with the same old defense and rebounding buggaboos that have seemed to curse this team over the last 2 years.  After rebounding the ball and playing pretty solid defense for the first 7 games all our negatives from years past arose again last night. 

Guys trying to defend with their hands instead of their feet.  Guys simply watching Washington rebound until they scored.  Our entire team except for Vander and Mayo seemingly had a "It doesnt matter how many they score we will score more attitude".  Our defense last night had all the feel and the defensive  intensity of a Summer league game.

Our rotations were terrible or none existant, weak side help was really there, even worse they rarely even saw the layup they did not help on. 

Yes I realize Chris was not there but that does not excuse the lack of roataions, help, and the seemingly at times disregard to give any effort on rebounding. 

Washington's second to last basket came from a jumper on the right baseline.  basketball IQ says one must fight hard for weak side rebounding position.  DJO literally stood and watched the shot as his man on the left side short corner walked right by him with DJO never even attempting to box out.  He simply jumped up like it was a tip drill and tipped it in.  But then we run down all energized to get those points back on offense. 

Very Very disappointed with the defensive effort and IQ last night.  We might have beaten a young talented team by 2 points.  But if this team aspires to anything more against more seasoned and talented teams that we will play, last nights defensive effort will not get it done. 

Was hoping not to seen us revert to previous form, but we did.  Lets hope we dont see it again.   

Glad we won, but last nights defensive effort wont result in wins against the teams we all really want to beat

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
Re: Was disappointed....
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 04:55:49 PM »
What is the point of this rambling?

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 04:57:38 PM »

I was though quite dissapointed with the same old defense and rebounding buggaboos that have seemed to curse this team over the last 2 years.  After rebounding the ball and playing pretty solid defense for the first 7 games all our negatives from years past arose again last night. 

I think that part of the rebounding problem is fundamental.  There were times last night when I saw guys just watching the shot go up rather than putting a body on a man.  However, Washington crashed the offensive boards with 3,4, and sometimes 5   players.  MU emphasizes the transition offense which means one or two players move out the wing around half court when the shot goes up.  I noticed last night that if we got a rebound or a steal it almost always lead to a basket on the other end. However, too often UW's missed shots ended up as an offensive rebound.  It is a sort of "pick your poison" for the opponent.  If you don't want MU to score on you in transition, then don't crash the boards (and don't get the offensive rebounds) and run like hell back to defend your basket when the shot goes up (like Wisconsin did).  If you want to let us get a bunch of easy baskets in transition, then crash the offensive boards.  

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 06:54:03 PM »
What is the point of this rambling?

I actually think he makes a number of good points.  Unlike your question.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 07:17:07 PM »
Pretty much agree with most of Dime's thoughts.  Very happy for the win but on the defensive end this team still offers up lots of real estate and help d rotations aren't always great.   

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 07:31:50 PM »
Agreed Downtown.

MU knew 1) Otule was out and 2) one of UW's strengths was rebounding.

Knowing this, you'd think they'd get a body on someone in the interior.
During the final 10 minutes, I was keying in on Jamil and Davante. Jamil usually stood and watched the ball timing a jump-rebound, but was out of place when the purples out-jumped and out-muscled him. Davante hustled his butt off on the offensive end but was out of place on the defensive switch-offs leaving him out of position.

Heckuva effort last night. Guts. But the boys can still learn things from it.
SS Marquette

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 07:51:28 PM »
Dimes-you're spot on.
Not only did DJO stand and watch on the rebound putback, he looked over at the guy long before he first shot was put up.  No effort whatsoever to get between his man and the basket before the shot was even released.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 07:54:18 PM »

I actually think he makes a number of good points.  Unlike your question.

Agreed. The post was well written and interesting.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 08:43:41 PM »
I agree with you Dimes. I was absolutely stunned watching DJO stand flatfooted and seemingly disinterested while his man scored on that uncontested putback. Hope Buzz makes the whole team watch that sequence over and over again (in between running suicides) this week. That's not who these guys are and it's not who they want to become. Think Buzz will turn this into a teaching moment.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 09:01:39 PM »

Just F'ing Win BABY!!

Just like the Green Bay Packers. World class offense. Milwaukee High School League Defense. Who the hell cares? They're 12-0, Central Division Champs and Defending Super Bowl Champs.

Dudes, we won. Quit whining. Crappy defense is OK if we're putting up enough points to overcome mediocre defense. See, Rodgers, Aaron, Quarterback, Green Bay Packers

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 09:03:17 PM »
Just like the Green Bay Packers. World class offense. Milwaukee High School League Defense. Who the hell cares? They're 12-0, Central Division Champs and Defending Super Bowl Champs.

Dudes, we won. Quit whining. Crappy defense is OK if we're putting up enough points to overcome mediocre defense. See, Rodgers, Aaron, Quarterback, Green Bay Packers

Football analogies and basketball ones don't really mix. 

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 09:24:42 PM »

This is rather foolish.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 08:14:37 AM »
Tuesday was the first time I saw this team live, but Crowder on the defensive end was the real surprise to me.  He was constantly causing rotation problems by unnecessarily leaving his man to double elsewhere.  It appeared often he was expecting the other MU player to switch when it was unnecessary.  Of course, may not be Crowder's fault as it may be the other guy who was supposed to switch based on the defensive scheme, but it seemed he was always involved.

Also, he too often was looking to run out on the break rather than getting the defensive rebound.  Toward the end of the game this changed as he got himself in better rebounding position and got some important defensive rebounds.  Jamil Wilson goes after the ball hard but doesn't make any effort to get his body between his man and the rim.  It was like the old Dwight Burke days where you secretly wanted the other team to make their second free throw so they wouldn't get the offensive rebound.

Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 09:05:17 AM »
Tuesday was the first time I saw this team live, but Crowder on the defensive end was the real surprise to me.  He was constantly causing rotation problems by unnecessarily leaving his man to double elsewhere.  It appeared often he was expecting the other MU player to switch when it was unnecessary.  Of course, may not be Crowder's fault as it may be the other guy who was supposed to switch based on the defensive scheme, but it seemed he was always involved.

Also, he too often was looking to run out on the break rather than getting the defensive rebound.  Toward the end of the game this changed as he got himself in better rebounding position and got some important defensive rebounds.  Jamil Wilson goes after the ball hard but doesn't make any effort to get his body between his man and the rim.  It was like the old Dwight Burke days where you secretly wanted the other team to make their second free throw so they wouldn't get the offensive rebound.

Its a rotation thing.  Jae goes to help, and the next guy out is supposed to come in.  Don't get me wrong, Jae really needs work defending.  Like, a lot.  But what you saw was a scheme problem that I am sure Buzz will address.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2011, 09:37:47 AM »

Ha...secretly??   After tony Wroten who had missed almost every free throw of the game stepped to the line late in the second half he missed the first and I was not secretly hoping he would make the next.  UW last three baskets were on virtually uncontested put backs.

Defense is 90% effort and it takes a great team to want to defend.  WHen I see a team expend more energy and effort on the offensive end than they do on the defensive end it leaves me disappointed. Those types of teams look good and can tantalize you but they never win anything of importance.

I dont want to be too harsh because I is the first time I have seen it this year, but it was truly dishaeartening to see.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 09:45:05 AM »
I was at the Wisconsin game, and the effort on the defensive end that game was amazing.  There are a couple decent tests in the next few weeks to see if the whole Washington game was a bit of an emotional let-down, but I agree with you.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2011, 10:45:41 AM »
yes we won last night and I was quite happy with that.  There are many positives to be taken from last nights game.

1.  First time in MSG for 3 Freshman who played well.
2. We beat a very talented team with 4 and 5 star recruits all over the place.
3. For the second time this year we found a way to win when it looked like we would not and in other years would not have won.
4. We won despite the other team having a good big man and our big man out.
5. We won with out good PG play.
6. Our offense is still very potent.

All good things and I think it says alot for Buzz and the program to go into MSG last night, lose our starting center and place a fabulously talented, although maybe not yet ready for prime time Washington team, and come out with a win. 
Just F'ing Win BABY!!

Was hoping not to seen us revert to previous form, but we did.  Lets hope we dont see it again.   

Glad we won, but last nights defensive effort wont result in wins against the teams we all really want to beat

I didn't win anything, I'm not on the team.

1. MSG Lore is dumb. It is a neutral site and the place had a plethora of empty seats. Not hostile, not full of energy for either team.
2. MU's talent has been proven with the sweet 16 run last year and the core of the team returning, plus adding it's own touted recruits (and transfer).
3. Did Marquette win? They did. Did Marquette look grim at times? I don't know. Would they have won in the past? Perhaps. Last year? Maybe. Maybe not. If these two teams met in Wichita...

Your 4th & 5th statements actually made the most sense, even though you took ownership for doing absolutely nothing. And what is going on w/ that last sentence? I think MU wants to beat every team, no?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2011, 10:50:23 AM »
Your 4th & 5th statements actually made the most sense, even though you took ownership for doing absolutely nothing.

What's your deal?  Twice, CD comes out and makes substantive basketball-related posts and you return with nothing but snark.  Do you want people to take you seriously or not?

Jam Chowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2011, 10:54:20 AM »
And what is going on w/ that last sentence? I think MU wants to beat every team, no?

This is intellectually dishonest and ridiculous. You know exactly what he meant, as did everyone else who read it.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2011, 11:04:38 AM »

What's your deal?  Twice, CD comes out and makes substantive basketball-related posts and you return with nothing but snark.  Do you want people to take you seriously or not?

Stop saying "we" and maybe I can take you seriously. Better sentence structure and coherent facts, data, analysis to back up claims wouldn't hurt either. I feel like I'm in an argument at a middle school.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2011, 11:22:13 AM »
Stop saying "we" and maybe I can take you seriously. Better sentence structure and coherent facts, data, analysis to back up claims wouldn't hurt either. I feel like I'm in an argument at a middle school.

You're pissed about being in an "argument" at a middle school when you started it over a bunch of middle school complaints - we vs they (it is "We are Marquette", no?), sentence structure, etc. I saw the game and pretty much agree with Dimes on the "facts" and "analysis". And if you can't figure out what his last sentence means perhaps your comprehension skills are stuck at middle school levels.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2011, 11:27:58 AM »
You're pissed about being in an "argument" at a middle school when you started it over a bunch of middle school complaints - we vs they (it is "We are Marquette", no?), sentence structure, etc. I saw the game and pretty much agree with Dimes on the "facts" and "analysis". And if you can't figure out what his last sentence means perhaps your comprehension skills are stuck at middle school levels.

Did we really go to the same school?
/burns diploma
//replace with placemat from Denny's w/ maze on back successfully completed

🏀

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2011, 11:29:58 AM »

//replace with placemat from Denny's w/ maze on back successfully completed

+1

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2011, 11:39:35 AM »

His posting to a message board...not writing his master's thesis.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2011, 12:03:51 PM »
His posting to a message board...not writing his master's thesis.

I don't care if this is a message board or thesis. Regardless, I'm not going to go out of my way to sound uneducated, dumb, irrational, illiterate, mindless, or ignorant.