Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Who's your final 5 on the floor during crunch time?  (Read 2568 times)

Wade for President

• All American
Who's your final 5 on the floor during crunch time?
« on: December 07, 2011, 08:59:54 AM »
Naturally I was thinking about this last night.  Pending on the line-up that we could be facing, if I was Buzz, I might be inclined to sit Vander for Mayo.

Listen...I love Vander.  He's much improved and a KEY component to this team's success.  With that said though, one of my takeaways from last night's game was in the last five minutes. 

When it's in crunch time, I want Mayo in the game (even if it has to be at the expense of sitting Blue...which might not always be the case).  Blue is a little too turnover prone at this point.

If it's crunch time, my five on the floor are:

Junior (despite his bone headed turnover under two minutes, when he left his feet and had nowhere to pass the ball)
DJO
Mayo
Jae
Jamil

Would you have Devante in there?  Great hands around the hoop, and a rather "reliable" free-throw shooter (despite his misses last night).

GGGG

• All American
Re: Who's your final 5 on the floor during crunch time?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 09:02:11 AM »
Blue had the assist on Jae's game winner.

Of course it depends on whether or not you are on offense or defense...and the score...  All of that is going to dictate what your lineups are going to be.

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 09:04:50 AM »
If we're playing defense, I'd probably have Junior sit for Vander.  But defensively, I'm somewhat comfortable with that same 5 listed above (especially being without Otule's services for the immediate future).

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 09:15:57 AM »
It depends upon if we are up, down, tied and on offense or defense.

If we are up with the ball, you may put Devante in for his FT shooting (last night not withstanding). 

I would have Blue in there in either situation.  He can create for himself or others and is more of a threat off the ball than Junior (meaning, he has to be accounted for).

Mayo is an awesome athlete and player.  He, though, can still take the wrong shot in that situation.  By years end, he might be one on the court.  Right now, I can understand if Buzz sits him. 
The nice thing about this thread, is there are options beyond just 5 guys.  Quality depth is a nice thing!

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 09:24:29 AM »
I'm hard pressed to think of a situation where VB isn't on the floor for me.  In crunch time, he elevates his game.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 09:30:24 AM »
I'm hard pressed to think of a situation where VB isn't on the floor for me.  In crunch time, he elevates his game.
I do not want the ball in Blue's hands in crunch time in the half court in any circumstance.  I can't believe he was the guy taking the shot in a tie game with under 1 to play.  He's very solid defensively and in the open court, but in a half court set he is still more likely to turn it over or take a bad shot than to do something to get us a score.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 09:31:46 AM »
He hasn't had near the amount of attempts as DJO, but Vander leads the team in 3 point %.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 09:34:34 AM »
With Buzz's substitution style this year, I'm not sure you can really have a set "Crunchtime 5". So many quick offense for defense and back again subs that there's no static lineup.

If we need a late score, I want Cadougan running the show, DJO, Crowder, and Mayo to shoot, and probably CO or Jamil to keep an offensive board alive.

If it's a crunchtime stop we need, Blue, Mayo, Crowder, Otule, and DJO. From that, it looks like I have a set 4 with Junior and VB going offense for defense, but
as was mentioned Blue had the game-winning assist last night.

I don't know, I'm just glad we have such a wealth of options.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 09:37:56 AM »
I kept yelling at the tv -- why isn't Mayo in? (My wife could hear me in the next room, "who are you talking to?).

DJO
Crowder
Wilson
Mayo

Then either Cadougan or Blue. These two don't offer enough of an offensive solution when they are out there together to go for long spurts.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 09:39:34 AM »
I kept yelling at the tv -- why isn't Mayo in? (My wife could hear me in the next room, "who are you talking to?).

DJO
Crowder
Wilson
Mayo

Then either Cadougan or Blue. These two don't offer enough of an offensive solution when they are out there together to go for long spurts.

Bingo. This. 
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 09:44:15 AM »
I do not want the ball in Blue's hands in crunch time in the half court in any circumstance. 

Again....He had the assist on the last play of the game.

JD

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 09:48:28 AM »
DJO
Crowder
Blue
Mayo
Otule (if not able to play, Wilson)

Don't see how you can have anybody else.
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 09:58:12 AM »
He hasn't had near the amount of attempts as DJO, but Vander leads the team in 3 point %.

Seriously? He's shot 8 three pointers in 8 games. Good grief

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2011, 09:58:56 AM »
DJO
Crowder
Blue
Mayo
Otule (if not able to play, Wilson)

Don't see how you can have anybody else.

Because Junior is your top assist guy...just like he was last night.  I don't think you understand the value of having an experienced guy with the ball in his hands at crunch time.

JD

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 10:14:18 AM »
Because Junior is your top assist guy...just like he was last night.  I don't think you understand the value of having an experienced guy with the ball in his hands at crunch time.

-I guess I don't, you're right, you're right.  He really showed his experience last night.
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2011, 10:29:34 AM »
Think Junior is always going to be a lightning rod type of player while at MU - he'll have his staunch defenders/fans, and his haters.  To play devils advocate - MU looked really good against Wisconsin, and Junior obviously didn't play.  Wilson ability to stop dribble penetration/suffocate the oppositions PG, results in far fewer required rotations/help defense - which is where a defense gets broken down.

On the contrary, Junior definitely sees the floor better than anyone on the MU team, made some game winning plays toward the end of last year, and is worthy of minutes on this team, and our support as fans.

The beauty of all of this is that we are actually having a debate - and who would have thought Derrick Wilson or Mayo could be so good that they could potentially impact Junior's PT coming into this season?
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

JD

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2011, 10:32:20 AM »
Think Junior is always going to be a lightning rod type of player while at MU - he'll have his staunch defenders/fans, and his haters.  To play devils advocate - MU looked really good against Wisconsin, and Junior obviously didn't play.  Wilson ability to stop dribble penetration/suffocate the oppositions PG, results in far fewer required rotations/help defense - which is where a defense gets broken down.

On the contrary, Junior definitely sees the floor better than anyone on the MU team, made some game winning plays toward the end of last year, and is worthy of minutes on this team, and our support as fans.

The beauty of all of this is that we are actually having a debate - and who would have thought Derrick Wilson or Mayo could be so good that they could potentially impact Junior's PT coming into this season?

+1000000000

AL

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2011, 10:32:49 AM »
Naturally I was thinking about this last night.  Pending on the line-up that we could be facing, if I was Buzz, I might be inclined to sit Vander for Mayo.

Listen...I love Vander.  He's much improved and a KEY component to this team's success.  With that said though, one of my takeaways from last night's game was in the last five minutes. 

When it's in crunch time, I want Mayo in the game (even if it has to be at the expense of sitting Blue...which might not always be the case).  Blue is a little too turnover prone at this point.

If it's crunch time, my five on the floor are:

Junior (despite his bone headed turnover under two minutes, when he left his feet and had nowhere to pass the ball)
DJO
Mayo
Jae
Jamil

Would you have Devante in there?  Great hands around the hoop, and a rather "reliable" free-throw shooter (despite his misses last night).

Jae
DJO
Mayo
Otule (very good at put pack rebs)
Vander

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2011, 03:34:03 PM »
I said it during the game yesterday and most agreed. DJO, Vander, Mayo, Jae and Jamil

Maybe Junior on offense, but DJO and Mayo are so good at creating we are fine without Juniors lack of D
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

JD

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2011, 03:34:43 PM »
^ Thumbs up

AL

The Man in Gold

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2011, 05:08:16 PM »
Junior, Jamail, Juan, Jamil, Jae ... just "juance"!
Captain, We need more sweatervests!  TheManInGold has been blinded by the light (off the technicolor sweatervest)